Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,519,790 Views | 223291 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ProgN
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

There are roughly 470 stores outside of China.
Bert315
AG
Been off and on following this thread for a couple months. Have always just put money in my 401k or 403b and let Fidelity manage it.

I have been saving a small amount of my spending money budget to start investing myself. Any books y'all recommend so I can really understand how y'all do what you do? I have basic knowledge but not anywhere near what I believe it needs to be to make good decisions. Also what software is best if I am just starting to dabble?

IrishTxAggie
AG
One up on wall street
ProgN
Welcome aboard!

Don't be afraid to ask the board questions. We all started at the beginning too and this thread is great and you'll find plenty of support. We are all united on this thread to make and/or preserve money. There isn't red vs blue here. In here we're all green.
Exsurge Domine
I have a question, isn't XOM stupid not to buy right now? The price is half of what it was a month ago, the earnings seem strong, and the yield is almost 10%. Am I missing something?
RebAg13
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

I have a question, isn't XOM stupid not to buy right now? The price is half of what it was a month ago, the earnings seem strong, and the yield is almost 10%. Am I missing something?

It looks like a great long term play. Short term it is dicey. I bought some this week.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

Taken from the XOM thread that gives a pretty neat analysis of XOM. I backed the truck up yesterday personally. Not only did I buy those options I mentioned earlier, I also bought stock around $35.

one MEEN Ag said:

Cromagnum said:

Cyp0111 said:

Imagine the dividend will get cut

Probably will but doesnt mean it wont come back later.

I think it would. ExxonMobil is a company built to hand out a dividend. They are not a growth play, nor are they a technology company trying to sell process improvement. Exxon's job is to manage cash flow while acquiring and extracting resources. There's an interesting article about how Exxon never really exceeds the value of its oil reservoirs and its stock owners are basically land owners of oil. If Exxon does not keep exploring and discovering new reservoirs, it's valuation would continually drop.

It's the opposite of a software company. Exxon has no inherit value, if it extracts 5 billion worth of oil out of the ground, it's worth 5 billion less.

So buying Exxon when oil is low is a nice way to to get access to a dividend long term while also being protected against stock price destruction. If you buy Exxon when oil is $80 a barrel, you can only sell your stock for a profit the next time it's above 80.
Square Pair
AG
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/03/14/dod-bans-all-domestic-travel-for-troops-employees-in-response-to-coronavirus-threat/?utm_campaign=Socialflow+ARM&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2F7HHP6GedtmADvsn0tBLyUUxnfofy-QeBF4LcEDY3yvY5zJ6rb124FwA

getting even more crazy.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
IrishTxAggie
AG
Selling naked puts might be of interest to you. If you're buying "lifetime" stocks and are fine with owning a little more if you get exercised on, naked puts could be a good one to learn now in a lower market. Only downside is that it will lock up liquidity until the option expires or is bought back.
dirtylondrie712
AG
What is a rate cut going to do at this point? Is It just small businesses and start ups? The blue chips don't need loans because they are flush with cash from the tax cut, correct?
IrishTxAggie
AG
dirtylondrie712 said:

What is a rate cut going to do at this point? Is It just small businesses and start ups? The blue chips don't need loans because they are flush with cash from the tax cut, correct?

I could see a lot of companies using the cheap rates to do a **** load of stock buybacks at these levels.
claym711
AG
Awesome content.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-05/fed-chair-makes-striking-admission-we-have-short-volatility-position

It's a ZH article but a good one from January 2018, before any of this jumped off, quoting Powell from a 2012 meeting.

Powell's concerns were (1) the Fed balance sheet will never be big enough for the market. Why stop at $4T? And, their internal models will always say it's good for the market. (2) how to unload their short volatility position (3) that the market will crater anytime the fed tries to unload its balance sheet, and (4) that they are encouraging risk taking and creating a bubble.

My how the chickens have come home to roost.

I'm not smart enough to understand the tentacles and reach of all these things, but I do understand that the Fed is stuck inflating this same artificial liquidity, leverage, Fixed income, and debt bubble. They cannot normalize the market without a "dynamic response" (crash), and so they are stuck pumping more and more into a system that now relies on it to function in this new paradigm.

What we do know and everyone knows is the Fed playbook.

It's what we don't know that shocks the market. Unexpected demand and consumption recession. How long can a system so fragile that we had to ease rates and inject liquidity at ATHs withstand a cessation of consumption growth?
Square Pair
AG
Delta: a good friend is a gate agent in Seattle. Said they've grounded about 300 planes and are reducing flights. She said on average she's been processing between 9-30 people per flight when usually Seattle is oversold.

Internal memo Delta is starting early retirement and allowing leave without pay. Of course she's worried about being furloughed.
gig em 02
dirtylondrie712 said:

Shifts cash from bonds to stocks because the dividend from a solid company is better than the bond rate?
McInnis 03
AG
Anyone else happy the runs are on grocery and not banks for cash?
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
GreasenUSA
AG
McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs
IrishTxAggie
AG
GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

My little secret since I already covered my run; go to a Mexican tienda or mercado. Uptight white people beating the crap out of each other would never think to "slum it" with the Hispanics. I love those places!! Sweetest little old ladies in the world there!
Topher17
AG
I'm 25 in the second year of my first job, I max my IRA and hit up to the company match on my 401K, but generally have it all in VTSAX. What's the best way for someone like me, without a ton of liquidity, to get a piece of FAANG stocks at a point where they're as cheap as they are now?
khaos288
AG
Topher17 said:

I'm 25 in the second year of my first job, I max my IRA and hit up to the company match on my 401K, but generally have it all in VTSAX. What's the best way for someone like me, without a ton of liquidity, to get a piece of FAANG stocks at a point where they're as cheap as they are now?

Take whatever your 401k will let you manage yourself and buy those stocks in your retirement accounts.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
E
AG
GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs
Pro Tip: When there is a run on TP at grocery stores, invest in Dude Wipes and live like a king during the Coronapocalypse
Exsurge Domine
E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs
Pro Tip: When there is a run on TP at grocery stores, invest in Dude Wipes and live like a king during the Coronapocalypse

Dude wipes have been a life changer
IrishTxAggie
AG
E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

Just use baby wipes. They're the same and cheaper
Harkrider 93
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

but those are for babies and I am a real man!
Talon2DSO
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

A real man wouldnt let marketing trigger his insecurities in the bathroom
Boat Shoes
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Harkrider 93 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

A real man wouldn't steal wipes from babies. Won't someone please think of the children?!?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Talon2DSO said:

Harkrider 93 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

A real man wouldn't steal wipes from babies. Won't someone please think of the children?!?

Survival of the fittest!
riley290
AG
what do you think Mike Pence will announce at this Press Conference?

Also, weekend dow (yes, it is trash) is down back to where it was prior to that late day pump.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Talon2DSO
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Talon2DSO said:

Harkrider 93 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

Real man would run water hose to the bathroom for makeshift bidet
Texaggie7nine
Exsurge Domine said:

E said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

Dude wipes have been a life changer

Nothing compared to my bio-bidet
7nine
YouBet
AG
jj9000 said:

Other than the President making a great speech in unifying the public and private sector, what good has been happening in this market?

We're on the front side of an outbreak, with a tall hill to climb. Now, couple the pandemic with the Energy (oil) crisis , and you compound things. To put the icing on the cake, we've got major industries coming to a halt, and an all out travel ban to Europe.

Companies are already greasing the skids for Q1 and Q2 misses.

Other than a speech and accelerated testing (which will prove more positives and incite more panic), what's good with this market?

Agreed. It's about to get rough. The travel bans, fear, and quarantines have crippled the airlines. Extend that to restaurant, retail, and hotel in and around airports. Furloughs, failures, and bankruptcy's are coming.

I predict the first one inside of 2-3 weeks if not sooner. Just waiting to hear how the other carriers respond to what DL has done.

There was bailout funding for carriers during 9-11 and I would assume we would see the same for this.
IrishTxAggie
AG
riley290 said:

Also, weekend dow (yes, it is trash) is down back to where it was prior to that late day pump.

No it's not. They came off ~1% AH after they ran almost 7% from beginning to end of market close of the presser
GreasenUSA
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

GreasenUSA said:

McInnis 03 said:

not a fan of the runs

My little secret since I already covered my run; go to a Mexican tienda or mercado. Uptight white people beating the crap out of each other would never think to "slum it" with the Hispanics. I love those places!! Sweetest little old ladies in the world there!
I was talking about caca
jj9000
AG
riley290 said:

What platform/site are you using for your analysis?
First Page Last Page
Page 1107 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.