Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,983,105 Views | 224095 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by flashplayer
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiedaniel06 said:

Bulls need to hope that /ES holds $2630. Flash to 2600 is okay. Anything lower and it's over.
Please stop with this.
TV Casualty
AG
Why is the coronavirus so much different than the swine flu? The swine flu infected 60 million people and 12,000 died in the U.S.

We didn't have a vaccine for the swine flu then and the whole world didn't freak out to this extent.
the last of the bohemians
Social media is why this is so much worse than pig flu.
Welcome to the 1st recession caused online fear.
Spirit of Sartre
Swine flu mortality rate of 0.02%. Coronavirus is estimated at around 2.0%. That would make it as deadly as Spanish Flu in 1918.
aggiedaniel06
AG
What about this is offending you? I'm staying these levels to help you. If you think it's useless ignore it.
The blind bullishness is not helping either. Long bull markets markets make people complacent.
Things seemed to be lined up for a Black Thursday .
El Chupacabra
the last of the bohemians said:

Social media is why this is so much worse than pig flu.
Welcome to the 1st recession caused online fear.

Election year where the entire world wants to oust the guy running for re-election.
GreasenUSA
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

What about this is offending you? I'm staying these levels to help you. If you think it's useless ignore it.
The blind bullishness is not helping either. Long bull markets markets make people complacent.
I haven't seen any "blind bullishness". But saying "it's over" is quite a bit over the top, and annoying to many.
ProgN
Because it's an election year and this has been weaponized and sensationalized by the press the crater the markets to damage Trump. That's all this is.
GreasenUSA
AG
What is the limit down for futures? 5%? That's at about 2603.
so will restaurants shut down , grocery stores, where do you draw the line?
ProgN
aggiedaniel06 said:

It's not complacency, it's realism. This market isn't trading off of technicals and the reasons for this sell off don't hold a candle to the real threat to the markets that the mortgage securities posed in 07-08. This is manufactured hysteria and the amount of cash accumulating on the sidelines right now will make this a blip on the radar.
Aston04
AG
Tomorrow is going to be wild. I say it sheds over 2k again...
leoj
AG
I don't get the paranoia and conspiracy talk. Listen to the doctor that just testified to Congress or the video I posted from Rogan's podcast.

The mortality rate is higher than the normal or swine flu, symptoms take days to appear and you are contagious during that period, the virus can survive on metal and plastic surfaces up to two days, no vaccine for over a year, and no built up immunity among the population.

There are accounts coming from the doctors in Italy where it sounds like a war zone. Look at the graphs of cases and deaths outside of China, it is exponential without extreme measures. We don't have anywhere near the amount of tests needed in the US so we are probably still undercounting the extent of it here.
jamaggie06
AG
You dont get the paranoia? You literally just posted it.
YouBet
AG
jamaggie06 said:

Right?
claym711
AG
Prognightmare said:

aggiedaniel06 said:

It's not complacency, it's realism. This market isn't trading off of technicals and the reasons for this sell off don't hold a candle to the real threat to the markets that the mortgage securities posed in 07-08. This is manufactured hysteria and the amount of cash accumulating on the sidelines right now will make this a blip on the radar.

Suggest you put some time into researching the debt bubble the Fed created and all its tentacles.
TXAG14
Strap in folks. Between this and the election uncertainty this is going to be a wild year. Don't think I will be buying until Oct/Nov.
Jet Black
Sooo, ride this out or move to cash?
thirdcoast
AG
The market doesnt need a vaccine to be approved, mass produced, and deployed. They just need an announcement of a promising vaccine is entering testing which will happen in less than a year. But before that, the news of mild cases far outstripping severe cases will calm nerves. Until then it's going to get bumpy. Bottom line is that the math is on our side, in terms of mortality rate having already peaked and quickly declining as detection increases exponentially.
Aston04
AG
This thing is going to make our economy contract, that's a given at this point with all the commerce being shut down. Even after 9/11, events were back up speed not long after. This is not like that. It's snowballing into more and more. Never experienced something like this in my lifetime.
ProgN
claym711 said:

Prognightmare said:

aggiedaniel06 said:

Suggest you put some time into researching the debt bubble the Fed created and all its tentacles.
I don't doubt the debt bubble but this won't burst it.
McInnis 03
AG
So how would one set a buy order for ext am on SQQQ? I can't get TDA to let me do it. I realize it's going to spike so I'm setting the limit high but it's saying it's too high and rejecting the order
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Spirit of Sartre
Prognightmare said:

Because it's an election year and this has been weaponized and sensationalized by the press the crater the markets to damage Trump. That's all this is.

Italy shut down half the nation and China shut down manufacturing to damage Trump?
aggiedaniel06
AG
I'm not talking about some BS intraday technicals. Every single correction since 2009, regardless of the underlying narrative, whether it was QT (2011), Brexit/Energy crash (2015), interest rate hikes (2018), bottomed at the 200 week MA.
I was going yo post the chart but why bother since It seems you won't listen. $2630 is that number and also the fib retracement from 2008.
Brewmaster
AG
Realize that the "war zone" that is north Italy -- they have a large elderly population. A very high percentage of the deaths there are elderly. This is not a plague of a virus. 99.5% or more have survived it and beaten it. This is a pneumonia like flu. Many that got it in China never went to a hospital or even reported it (thus skewing the WHO's numbers into making it look like a 3% death rate). It is far from that. I can pull up a recent prelim study or 2 to back that up if you like.

As Irish has said, this started in a poor part of China, where many were already immuno compromised or unwell from air pollution and other environmental factors.

You're right on surfaces, from what I've read, but keep in mind it does not like heat or humidity. I guess just don't order anything on Prime from AMZN
leoj
AG
Yes, also smoking is a big factor since it attacks the lungs. In that video that I posted, the dr said one factor however that we have here that could lead to worse conditions is obesity.

Also the heat factor is one thing I've seen conflicting info on? Would be great if it would work to stop it.
FriscoKid
AG
We are below bull trend line support at this point. This is a bear market IMO. I just don't see a rally happening. This 2600-2700 level was a big deal.
leoj
AG
jamaggie06 said:

Maybe google the definition of the word?
Rice and Fries
Saw this suggestion elsewhere, but Zillow is probably a good Put candidate.

Their home flipping model wasn't built to withstand a economic decline, they'll have to hold these houses on their books until they can sell them. Maybe Late April or May puts.
Most of the medical experts comments on the heat and humidity they are hedging by implying that it will have the expected seasonal effect, then followed by a comment that it remains unknown.
They are turning into economists.
aggiedaniel06
AG
Still too early to be sure. We'll know for sure in the next couple of days.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Fitch
AG
TV Casualty said:

Why is the coronavirus so much different than the swine flu? The swine flu infected 60 million people and 12,000 died in the U.S.

We didn't have a vaccine for the swine flu then and the whole world didn't freak out to this extent.
As of yesterday I would have said this is hyperbole and media sensationalism. Given the event cancellations and travel restrictions it's a little harder to make the case after today.

This evening I spoke with my roommate from A&M who has five or six medical degrees - he's dead set "this is the big one." The best data on mortality rate is apparently out of S. Korea, and is about 0.6%. The thing about that, though, is it's heavily right skewed. If you're under 40 there's a (relatively) tiny chance an infection leads to death, on par with normal flu, but it exponentially increases by decade to nearly 15% for 80+.

The mortality rate is apparently a lot lower than past viral events (SARS, Swine flu), but transmission rate is a lot higher. I haven't found the article, but he said Germany expects 60-70% of their population to contract it, and a month ago the CDC projected the 40-60% of the US population would contract it. Not all at once, since it will probably go dormant over the summer, but will ramp back up in the fall.

Also said that it's minimum 12-18 months before a vaccine is commercially viable and anyone else saying different is lying.

Take it as hysteria or whatever, but a lot of moneyed events and interests have clamped down hard in reaction to this thing.

McInnis 03
AG
I'm no savant, but rarely are things as bad as we think they are and the same goes for when we think they're great too.

We beat polio, measles, small pox, bird flu, swine flu, aids is on the run, sars, mers.....Sars-cov-2 will be on this list and my guess is sooner rather than later.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
First Page Last Page
Page 1085 of 6403

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.