Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,089,973 Views | 224479 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by sts7049
GreasenUSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

if at 100%, sell half the calls. The half you remain holding would be net free.
Right, but only for one more day and then the remaining calls expire worthless. In other words, is the only way to ride net free for a while if you have time until expiration? Was trying to think of a way to convert the calls to shares and be net free. Maybe I'm overthinking this...
Why would the calls expire worthless? If you're in the money, and it closes in the money tomorrow, then you are good.

All going net-free does is allow you to recapture your initial investment and then let the rest ride. Yes, it could go to zero, but at least you haven't lost money. That could happen after it goes 4x and you sell off 1/4, or any other scenario that covers your initial investment.

McInnis 03
AG
BREwmaster said:

SNSS about to blow!
Why
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
TheBiggerEvent
AG
Momo basing again..
McInnis 03
AG
DBX beats earnings and revenue up 10% AH
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
WestTexAg12
AG
In at Juan Thousand!!!
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
george1992
McInnis 03 said:

DBX beats earnings and revenue up 10% AH
FSLY now down 9%. Hope its temporary. I also hit on the DBX. Hopefully the win in bigger than the loss.

Best 1000 pages on this website!!!
BT1395
AG
GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

Right, but only for one more day and then the remaining calls expire worthless. In other words, is the only way to ride net free for a while if you have time until expiration? Was trying to think of a way to convert the calls to shares and be net free. Maybe I'm overthinking this...
Why would the calls expire worthless? If you're in the money, and it closes in the money tomorrow, then you are good.

All going net-free does is allow you to recapture your initial investment and then let the rest ride. Yes, it could go to zero, but at least you haven't lost money. That could happen after it goes 4x and you sell off 1/4, or any other scenario that covers your initial investment.

Sorry, but I'm confused. If I buy 10 calls at $1.35 with expiration of 2/21, for example, then I paid $1,350 for the right to buy 1,000 shares of the underlying. If I'm still holding those on 2/21 and they are priced at $2.70 as the market closes, then they go to zero immediately after the close, and I have $0, right??? Had I sold them one minute prior to market close, then I would have pocketed $2,700 for a gain of $1,350. Or I could have exercised the right to buy the shares knowing that I got a healthy discount on the current share price and would immediately have an unrealized gain in the stock position.

What am I missing here that would have led me to be good if they closed in the money?
oldarmy1
AG
Seeing services on SQ March 20 $95 calls. Volume is building and it was definitely interrupted on a breakout move today.
oldarmy1
AG
BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

Sorry, but I'm confused. If I buy 10 calls at $1.35 with expiration of 2/21, for example, then I paid $1,350 for the right to buy 1,000 shares of the underlying. If I'm still holding those on 2/21 and they are priced at $2.70 as the market closes, then they go to zero immediately after the close, and I have $0, right??? Had I sold them one minute prior to market close, then I would have pocketed $2,700 for a gain of $1,350. Or I could have exercised the right to buy the shares knowing that I got a healthy discount on the current share price and would immediately have an unrealized gain in the stock position.

What am I missing here that would have led me to be good if they closed in the money?
List the stock, the option strike and I already see we're talking about a Feb 21 expiration.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Your brokerage will force sale them if you don't have the funds to exercise the options.

If you're holding calls with an hour left into the close like that without the equity to buy them, it's sort of a bonehead move.
leoj
AG
ZS, FSLY, APPN all down big ah

And OLED. DBX up
Ranger222
AG
Buy the dip on FSLY.

Numbers were solid and I think its down because the CEO announced he is transitioning out of the role but its actually a good thing because he is a designer of the tech may not a salesperson. He is going to still oversee all the development, now they will just get someone in that can sell the company.
Brewmaster
AG
leoj said:

ZS, FSLY, APPN all down big ah

And OLED. DBX up
dodged ZS! sold today, bought NVDA on the dip.

FSLY looks like an overreaction!
GreasenUSA
AG
BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

Yeah, as OA said, give us the ticker and strike. It sounds like you may be talking about something that is out of the money. Otherwise, if they are in the money, and you don't have the cash to cover them, then your broker will sell them for you at the last traded premium price at the end of the day on Friday.
BT1395
AG
GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

Yeah, as OA said, give us the ticker and strike. It sounds like you may be talking about something that is out of the money. Otherwise, if they are in the money, and you don't have the cash to cover them, then your broker will sell them for you at the last traded premium price at the end of the day on Friday.
NET $17.50 calls EXP 02-21-20. Underlying stock is at $20.30.

Sold them late this afternoon when I finally sat down at my desk and saw where they were. Are you saying that, had I not sold the calls by market close tomorrow afternoon, my broker would have automatically exercised the option and purchased the shares of the underlying? I never knew that - I simply thought I was just buying the RIGHT to purchase shares and that it was my responsibility to either sell the option, exercise it, or let it expire.
leoj
AG

Interesting
fightintxag13
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Seeing services on SQ March 20 $95 calls. Volume is building and it was definitely interrupted on a breakout move today.

Ugh I got stopped out today and wasn't active today to see the opportunity to buy the dip.
leoj
AG
fightintxag13 said:

oldarmy1 said:

Ugh I got stopped out today and wasn't active today to see the opportunity to buy the dip.

Can definitely get back into it. Just starting a breakout move up.
oldarmy1
AG
BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

NET $17.50 calls EXP 02-21-20. Underlying stock is at $20.30.

Sold them late this afternoon when I finally sat down at my desk and saw where they were. Are you saying that, had I not sold the calls by market close tomorrow afternoon, my broker would have automatically exercised the option and purchased the shares of the underlying? I never knew that - I simply thought I was just buying the RIGHT to purchase shares and that it was my responsibility to either sell the option, exercise it, or let it expire.
You bought them at $1.35. $17.50 strikes means you needed $18.85 to be at net even on the options. You definitely did the right thing in selling the options straight up because owning the shares at $18.65 isn't as banking the profit catching a stock pop within a day of expiration.

Most brokerages will assign shares to you if the stock is above $17.50 tomorrow at close. If the stock was say $18 you just lost money on the premium to share assignment, because you don't get that $1.35 back.

Some brokerages will sell calls at expiration if you don't have funds to cover calling out the shares, but you DEFINITELY want to get all of the rules of your brokerage because I know some will assign shares and hit you with a nice bill to pay for the shares. Granted you can instruct them to sell the shares but sometimes they make you cover the cost for a clean transaction tying up your money.

Great trade though!
Ragoo
AG
BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

BT1395 said:

GreasenUSA said:

calls with intrinsic value, In The Money, expire equal to that value.
BT1395
AG
Thanks to all for the quick options education on my NET calls. Learn something new every day...

As someone said earlier, here's to another 1,000 pages of green numbers!
Boat Shoes
AG
For those of you actively day trading, how complicated does filing your taxes become? Are you simply importing from something like TD Ameritrade to Turbo Tax?
oldarmy1
AG
Boat Shoes said:

For those of you actively day trading, how complicated does filing your taxes become? Are you simply importing from something like TD Ameritrade to Turbo Tax?
Most services provide the data matched up buy/sell. Easy records.
HoustonAg_2009
I'd like to piggyback this question -- Thanks to OA, and others, on this site I've cashed in some nice gains over the last 12 months. Unfortunately all this trading has been done in my non-retirement account & has all been short term gains. The short term gain tax will be substantial! My retirement accounts (Roth IRA, 401k, etc) are full of S&P and I'm not looking to change that situation so the question is -- Is there any secret sauce to lessen the major tax bill while trading? I'm guessing the answer is NO, but figured I'd ask considering the amount of folks trading on this forum. Thanks!
ProgN
HoustonAg_2009 said:

I'd like to piggyback this question -- Thanks to OA, and others, on this site I've cashed in some nice gains over the last 12 months. Unfortunately all this trading has been done in my non-retirement account & has all been short term gains. The short term gain tax will be substantial! My retirement accounts (Roth IRA, 401k, etc) are full of S&P and I'm not looking to change that situation so the question is -- Is there any secret sauce to lessen the major tax bill while trading? I'm guessing the answer is NO, but figured I'd ask considering the amount of folks trading on this forum. Thanks!

The first one is free but we have to charge you for the rest.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Donate to charities. You're screwed on short term gains.
leoj
AG
Hendrix
AG
Uncle Sam takes his bite. No way around it if substantial.
gig em 02
HoustonAg_2009 said:

Put it in an opportunity fund?
McInnis 03
AG
I do my trading in my Roth.

If I ever go WSB big, I'll take the penalty

B&I Key:
leoj
AG
Bird Poo
AG
leoj said:

I got in big at $30 so I've been waiting for this kind of momentum!
AgsnFly
AG
BREwmaster said:

bought some NVDA on the dip! won't be this cheap for long.

Was long 4k shares at $19.50 cost basis. Sold 1500 back in 2018 in the $250 area and then painfully stopped out another couple two thousand shares under $200 in 2019. Sold 500 shares above $300 yesterday. Was a good trade but made many mistakes. Glad I am out.
leoj
AG
AgsnFly said:

BREwmaster said:

bought some NVDA on the dip! won't be this cheap for long.

Was long 4k shares at $19.50 cost basis. Sold 1500 back in 2018 in the $250 area and then painfully stopped out another couple two thousand shares under $200 in 2019. Sold 500 shares above $300 yesterday. Was a good trade but made many mistakes. Glad I am out.

I mean....that's not bad at all lol.

You good with being all out with the potential growth still ahead?
G Money
AG
Where is everybody today?
First Page Last Page
Page 1001 of 6414

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.