***** Official Houston Astros 2026-27 Off Season Thread *****

25,946 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by W
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

7 game DS and opponent selection are incredibly awful ideas


The first time somebody picks their opponents and loses will be amazing though
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love NYY showing their class one would expect from their fans....

~egon
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now, the Yankees have their very own Steve Bartman.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

B-Rabbit said:



They continue to amaze with their stupidity. Either they know who they want and have an informal agreement already, or they're wasting precious time and will be further behind everyone else. The last time we had a work stoppage, there was a flurry of signing before the deadline.

If the clubs are planning to lock out and shut down after the WS until the new CBA, is there any benefit to having a new GM and Manager signed under contract so that they can twiddle their thumbs for a year looking at baseball cards?

It expires Dec 1, 2026. The last stoppage was Dec 1, 2021. Here are the players who signed in Nov 2021 (min 50 M).

Seager 10/325 M
Semien 7/175
Baez 6/140
Berrios 7/131
Scherzer 3/130
Ray 5/115
Marte 4/78
Gray 4/56
Garcia 4/53
Verlander 2/50 (opted out)

I would say this is a significant group. There were also a handful of trades, but nothing crazy.

Yes, I want a leader and direction of the franchise during this time and not waste it being run by Bagwell and Crane.

I agree with you. I expected that the CBA would have expired earlier than that and should have looked it up. I was also posting that a bit tongue in cheek about Crane being cheap enough to not want to pay a GM and manager through a work stoppage.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

B-Rabbit said:



They continue to amaze with their stupidity. Either they know who they want and have an informal agreement already, or they're wasting precious time and will be further behind everyone else. The last time we had a work stoppage, there was a flurry of signing before the deadline.

If the clubs are planning to lock out and shut down after the WS until the new CBA, is there any benefit to having a new GM and Manager signed under contract so that they can twiddle their thumbs for a year looking at baseball cards?

It expires Dec 1, 2026. The last stoppage was Dec 1, 2021. Here are the players who signed in Nov 2021 (min 50 M).

Seager 10/325 M
Semien 7/175
Baez 6/140
Berrios 7/131
Scherzer 3/130
Ray 5/115
Marte 4/78
Gray 4/56
Garcia 4/53
Verlander 2/50 (opted out)

.


Wow. How much of that was the Rangers?
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And they're regretting each one
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

And they're regretting each one
well Semien they flipped for Nimmo so that wasn't so bad.

Garcia (aka grosse tete) they DFAed I think. Not sure how much of that they had to eat.

Seager is fading fast. He's just too injured and he's never lasting the rest of that boat anchor.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

And they're regretting each one
well Semien they flipped for Nimmo so that wasn't so bad.

Garcia (aka grosse tete) they DFAed I think. Not sure how much of that they had to eat.

Seager is fading fast. He's just too injured and he's never lasting the rest of that boat anchor.


Wrong Garcia. But Gray was them.

I'd say they won a championship because of it. Even if those contracts suck, it was probably worth it knowing the result.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

And they're regretting each one
well Semien they flipped for Nimmo so that wasn't so bad.

Garcia (aka grosse tete) they DFAed I think. Not sure how much of that they had to eat.

Seager is fading fast. He's just too injured and he's never lasting the rest of that boat anchor.


Wrong Garcia. But Gray was them.

I'd say they won a championship because of it. Even if those contracts suck, it was probably worth it knowing the result.


But they did sign him? Or am I'm not remembering? I'm not looking online for it but I swear they bought out his ARB years and tacked on some and then cut him
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

7 game DS and opponent selection are incredibly awful ideas


I love it, actually.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
all the union talks about is the salary cap

going to be a long offseason
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't hate the 7 game division series in itself (other decisions matter here), but the choosing of opponent is a no-win situation for teams that earned their seeds.

No wants to give their opponent bulletin board material by choosing them as a preferred opponent.

Now, that being said, if the Astros could return to prominence and get to choose the Yankees every year...
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just don't like the idea of playoffs that last forever like the NBA.

You lose interest and get fatigue.

I like short unpredictability of the 3 game WC series and progressively getting longer with the LCS and WS being 7.
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I just don't like the idea of playoffs that last forever like the NBA.

You lose interest and get fatigue.

I like short unpredictability of the 3 game WC series and progressively getting longer with the LCS and WS being 7.


I'd rather the WC be 5 and leave DS as is at 5.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

I just don't like the idea of playoffs that last forever like the NBA.

You lose interest and get fatigue.

I like short unpredictability of the 3 game WC series and progressively getting longer with the LCS and WS being 7.


By shortening the season, it makes the playoffs more meaningful, so I'm all for it. The season is already too long.

Right now you get two wet fart playoff series

The sample size in 7 games means your team has to have depth and can't rely nearly as much on the top one or two starters.
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hell yeah Yordong to the rescue!!

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perfect scenario for the Rays
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
going from 162 to 154 is not a bad idea

maybe more players would try to play the whole season

please subtract the 8 games from interleague play to help avoid what happened in the American League this season
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.