***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,733,474 Views | 66697 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by RED AG 98
BayAg_14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BayAg_14 said:

I'm out till Abreu is off this team. See yall whenever that happens. Peace!

I'm back!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Serious question: what would the Aggies' record have been the last two years with Jose Abreu as coach instead of Jimbo Fisher?

If you don't remember, it was:

• 2022 5-7 overall, 2-6 conference
  • 2023 6-4 overall, 4-3 conference

I'd say at least 7-5 last year. No way Abreu loses at Miami like that.

Life is better with a beagle
texasaggie2015
AG
Practically a home game for him
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Serious question: what would the Aggies' record have been the last two years with Jose Abreu as coach instead of Jimbo Fisher?

If you don't remember, it was:

• 2022 5-7 overall, 2-6 conference
  • 2023 6-4 overall, 4-3 conference

I'd say at least 7-5 last year. No way Abreu loses at Miami like that.

How many more wins would we have if we let Jimbo play first base?
Bonnettecj1
astroaggie13 said:

Bonnettecj1 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Bonnettecj1 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Worse contract? Jimbo or Abreu?
Jimbo is getting paid more than twice than what Abreu is getting paid to go away. I'd say Jimbo's.
Yea but at least you got a home win over Alabama and an Orange bowl out of Jimbo.
I see your point, but Jimbo's is a lot more lasting. He's getting paid until like 2030. Abreu is off the books after next year.

Jimbo wasn't meeting expectations but he wasn't the worst coach in the league. Abreu was/is literally dog *****
You aren't incorrect here, but while Abreu was awful, his contract was not as penal as Jimbo's. Again, Abreu is off the books after next year. Jimbo is on the A&M payroll until 12/31/2031.

We are talking about guys being paid to do nothing. Abreu is getting paid next year. Jimbo is getting paid next year, then the year after, then the year after, then the year after, etc., etc.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Abreu.

Jimbo from 2018-2021 everybody agreed was worth it and had us going in the right direction. 2022-2023 is where it was awful.

Abreu wasn't good last year except for maybe 2 months

The jumbo EXTENSION was the bad move. But the original contract was fine
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This probably will happen (as 2015 suggested)
htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Abreu.

Jimbo from 2018-2021 everybody agreed was worth it and had us going in the right direction. 2022-2023 is where it was awful.

Uh, go find this thread when we signed abreu. Everyone thought it was great then too.

Abreu at least served half is contract. Regardless of how bad. Jimbo got extended for 10 years….8 of which we'll be paying him to not coach…..
dcaggie04
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Abreu.

Uh, go find this thread when we signed abreu. Everyone thought it was great then too.

Abreu at least served half is contract. Regardless of how bad. Jimbo got extended for 10 years….8 of which we'll be paying him to not coach…..

Jimbo was only extended for 4 years.
RED AG 98
AG
Marvin said:

Wonder if Crane learns a lesson from this. Hopefully he hires baseball people to do the baseball thinking.
If this is in regards to the initial signing and contract -- I disagree. Most here, self included, were ecstatic. He was best available and we spent big money at a position of need. I think the length of the contract was the only thing even remotely discussed as a potential negative.

If in regards to sticking with him far too long, when it was clear it wasn't working, then 100% full agree.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
While I do not expect this to happen in a million years, if Captain Lou signs with someone for the league min while we pay his full salary and he's goes .296/396/.485 the rest of the season this place is going to implode faster than that build-a-submersible at the Titanic
Chef Elko
AG
I wonder just how bad Abreu's back was messed up last year. Those kind of injuries can ruin a career, especially at his age. Could be why he fell off so bad.
Chef Elko
AG
C.Hummel
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hummel....IN!
cc10106
Dude went from AL MVP to being a bigger bust for the Astros than Kaz Matsui.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This year in AAA:
AB: 163
Games: 45
K's: 35
Walks: 33
BA: 0.301
OBP: 0.423
SLG: 0.509
OPS: 0.932
HR: 7
RBI: 31
texasaggie2015
AG
Mathguy64 said:

While I do not expect this to happen in a million years, if Captain Lou signs with someone for the league min while we pay his full salary and he's goes .296/396/.485 the rest of the season this place is going to implode faster than that build-a-submersible at the Titanic
I expect him to land somewhere from what I'm being told this afternoon. One team in particular is already reaching out.
tjack16
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Abreu.

I thought he meant production during contract. In which case Jimbo was at least successful or considered a good hire for 4 of the 6 years he was here. Abreu was pretty much a disappointment from day 1
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I expect him to land somewhere from what I'm being told this afternoon. One team in particular is already reaching out.
So was he released (meaning he already cleared waivers) or was he DFA'd and still has to go through waivers?
Ag_07
AG
WGAF about Jimbo?

What an awful thread derail
Marvin
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Marvin said:

Wonder if Crane learns a lesson from this. Hopefully he hires baseball people to do the baseball thinking.
If this is in regards to the initial signing and contract -- I disagree. Most here, self included, were ecstatic. He was best available and we spent big money at a position of need. I think the length of the contract was the only thing even remotely discussed as a potential negative.

If in regards to sticking with him far too long, when it was clear it wasn't working, then 100% full agree.

Sure, and me, but there's a reason we aren't making those decisions!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Dana Brown talks at 3, Joe Espada at 4. Bagwell and Crane wisely ducking the media.
RynoAg
AG
cc10106 said:

Who will step up and take the role of Astros fans' whipping boy now that J. Abreu is done?

Montero
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

So just a little over 2 hours from "we have a timeline" and "We are constantly talking about when to make the decision" to "Yeah, get rid of that bum".
Chrundle the Great
AG
I don't remember if I posted it, but I didn't like dumping the money into a position I don't think needs to be a premium one for championship teams.

I was team use the money on JV.
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

htxag09 said:

So just a little over 2 hours from "we have a timeline" and "We are constantly talking about when to make the decision" to "Yeah, get rid of that bum".

What is Joe supposed to say? Were cutting his ass later. Don't say anything.
Farmer1906
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

I don't remember if I posted it, but I didn't like dumping the money into a position I don't think needs to be a premium one for championship teams.

I was team use the money on JV.

60 M was only half what it cost to sign JV.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, seriously. He said they had a timeline which was correct. It was always 40 ABs. And he probably didn't have permission to say anything beyond that. I don't see the problem lol
cc10106
For future generations to remember:
cc10106
(or forget)
Chrundle the Great
AG
Maybe I don't remember the timeline right, but I thought I remember getting abreu first and that sort of sinking the jv hope before we knew what his # was.
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Dana Brown talks at 3, Joe Espada at 4. Bagwell and Crane wisely ducking the media.

Why would Jeff Bagwell talk to the media?

That's not his job and he never has done it.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's done it but only when there was no GM yet
Farmer1906
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Maybe I don't remember the timeline right, but I thought I remember getting abreu first and that sort of sinking the jv hope before we knew what his # was.

I think you're right but that doesn't change the fact that it took stupid amounts of money that JV isn't playing up to.
First Page Last Page
Page 858 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.