***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,856,362 Views | 36424 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by An L of an Ag
Chef Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Abreu is going to land somewhere and then get on the sauce
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He's done it but only when there was no GM yet

Isn't that when he famously said we were too analytical and doing that's wrong a few months after our parade.
The Porkchop Express
cc10106 said:

Dude went from AL MVP to being a bigger bust for the Astros than Kaz Matsui.
At least he didn't hit the DL with anal fissures.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags92 said:

htxag09 said:

So just a little over 2 hours from "we have a timeline" and "We are constantly talking about when to make the decision" to "Yeah, get rid of that bum".

What is Joe supposed to say? Were cutting his ass later. Don't say anything.
I don't expect him to say anything different, just thought it was funny to see it happen less than 3 hours after saying that.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Dana Brown talks at 3, Joe Espada at 4. Bagwell and Crane wisely ducking the media.

Why would Jeff Bagwell talk to the media?

That's not his job and he never has done it.
My point is they're sending the 2 people out to talk to the media who had absolutely nothing to do with his signing nor him sticking around as long as he did.
mwm
FINALLY!!!
texasaggie2015
AG
That's because the guy who had him #1 on his board entering the offseason and laid the groundwork for it is no longer with the organization.
Jackal99
AG
Taking my kid to the game tonight. He really wants the bobblehead. Been a while since I've been to a Friday giveaway game (been able to time Saturday and Sunday games well). Thoughts on how early we should get there? Gates at 5, but not sure how far ahead of time we need to be there.
aggie813
texasaggie2015 said:

Jose Abreu has been released. Right at 40 ABs. Y'all are welcome.

Gotta say, your info is always appreciated and on point.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would probably get in line around 4 if you want to be sure you get one honestly. Those lines get wild on bobblehead days
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Chrundle the Great
AG
I agree, just saying I remember JV being part of the reason I wasn't in the estatic camp.

I don't think we would've been any better off committing the full contract to verlander either.
Jackal99
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I would probably get in line around 4 if you want to be sure you get one honestly. Those lines get wild on bobblehead days

Thanks. Was planning to leave at 4, but will bump that up 30 minutes or so.
Cromagnum
AG
htxag09 said:

Good. Now do Bagwell.
MaxPower
Poor Bags. He forgot to follow Harvey Dent's advice and lived long enough to become the villain.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's a shame because the narrative around him is 100% false. Even Houston media has bought into it.
Bonnettecj1
Fingers should be pointed squarely at Crane; not Bags.
texasaggie2015
AG
James Click even.
agproducer
AG
When Abreu was signed, we were all excited. He was the top 1B FA at the time. Father Time just caught up with him. Father Time is still undefeated.
Mr.Bond
AG
agproducer said:

When Abreu was signed, we were all excited. He was the top 1B FA at the time. Father Time just caught up with him. Father Time is still undefeated.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

All I do is Nguyen
So does this show everyone that we at least want to TRY and save this season?
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

It's a shame because the narrative around him is 100% false. Even Houston media has bought into it.
I'd put it on Crane. It's been very clear the GM is NOT in charge and Crane never talks to the media so he's set it up for everyone to question who the hell is running the thing. Kind of chickencrap if he runs things with an iron fist then has everyone else take the media heat for it.
Project Gemini
AG
Why has Hummel not gotten a start yet? Singleton is clearly not our 1B of the future and we can't continue trotting him out there. We need Hummel to develop and he needs to play now. Espada and Dana are idiots.
Jackal99
AG
Follow-up: Meters go until 6. If I feed a meter until 6, will my car be okay at the same spot after 6? Or will they find some way to ticket me?
texasaggie2015
AG
I have no idea honestly.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Metered parking uses to be free after 6:00, so aa long as you pay through 6:00, you are good for the rest of the evening.
CFTXAG10
AG
Coop released again

texasaggie2015
AG
He started hot but he was horrendous in Boston. I would stick with what we have and be looking at the trade market if it's me.
Jackal99
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Metered parking uses to be free after 6:00, so aa long as you pay through 6:00, you are good for the rest of the evening.
Thanks!
The Porkchop Express
Well, I've done what everyone always said to do and gone back to the day we signed Jose Abreu, November 28, 2022. I couldn't figure out why I didn't post more about the signing, but realized it was the day we put our 16-year-old hound dog to sleep. So thanks to you, Regal Beagle, for keeping me from looking dumb for at least 1 day.

A selection of not so hot takes from that day (names removed for decency).

2021 was special for Georgia fans with the Braves.

2023 is the year for Aggie/Astros. National title game at NRG stadium too

It might be a slight overpay, but based on what's available and our current team, it's well worth it.

great news on the Abreu signing

would have preferred a 2-year deal, but first base is set now for the next 3 seasons

really like that Abreu is a 155 games per year player.

he'll have a ton of RBI opportunities in which doubles and singles can get the job done

Poor American League

I like Jim Crane as GM

Am I the only one who hates dubon?

I have no idea how he is on a major league roster

We had 2 unfortunate Kreskins that day. The first was agproduer at 1:21 p.m.

Nice get for the Astros. I hope Abreu keeps it up.

I worry about his age and the fall off like we saw with Yuli.

The second was Farmer1906 at 1:43 p.m.

Not to be a debbie downer, but this feels like another overpay by Crane. Do you think anyone else is willing to offer a fully guaranteed 3rd year to a 38-year-old?

And finally a blast from the past, who do you think posted this? (a great pirze to the first person who guesses)

I'd be fine with Astros moving to another city if I was guaranteed an A&M national championship.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
W
AG
oh my, Abreu is gone

not waiting for the White Sox series
tjack16
AG
lol… that one about Georgia and the Braves 2021 being the Astros/Aggies 2023 was my horrendous take

2023 was in fact not special for any Aggie sports teams or the Astros
W
AG
MaxPower said:

Poor Bags. He forgot to follow Harvey Dent's advice and lived long enough to become the villain.
Bagwell earned it though with his idiotic comments about "back of the baseball card"
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He started hot but he was horrendous in Boston. I would stick with what we have and be looking at the trade market if it's me.
Not me. I would 100% go get him and platoon him with Singleton.

Check the vs LHP #s

If you take Cooper's .377 xwOBA vs LHP and add it to Singleton's .352 xwOBA vs RHP then you have ~.360 xwOBA hitter at 1B the majority of the time. That would rank 8th in baseball for 1B just behind guys like Pasquantino & Naylor.

Then use the prospect capital to get arms.

What do you have to lose?
cc10106
Will Astros fans give Crane a standing ovation before today's game?
First Page Last Page
Page 859 of 1041

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.