*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,393,137 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

double aught said:

Wow, that seems borderline outrageous for ALDS. Cheap sheets should be under $100

Scherzer's 2024 salary isn't going to pay itself...
You mean new relievers for the bullpen CY neglected.
gigem1223
Looking ahead to tomorrow. Gray vs Sandoval.

We touched Sandoval up pretty good earlier this year. He didn't even get thru 2 inning, giving up 4 ER and walking 6. Gray on the other hand, went 7 IP only giving up 1 ER. Seems like as good a game as ever for Gray to get right. If we're to make any run, we're going to need him to.
Grapesoda2525
We get Detmers unfortunately, but I'll still take our chances with no Ohtani / trout.
fc2112
Proposition Joe
Seats in 100-level were $225/ticket after fees during the last sale, so I'd assume at least that high if not higher.

Teams don't leave money on the table anymore. All those years of Stubhub sales have given them the data to price their tickets effectively. STH's get the best price, and then it will skew up from there.
fc2112
My Section 122 season ticket price playoff tix were:

Wild Card and ALDS - $150
ALCS - $175
WS - $300
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
If I remember correctly, MLB sets ticket prices for the postseason so these prices aren't on the Rangers.

I bought tickets for the first ALDS game for $100 plus fees last week. Hoping I get to go but if not the secondary market should be hot.
Double Talkin' Jive...
94chem
What happens if all 3 AL West teams end up in a tie, with 13-13 records against each other?

Assume TOR is in.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
94chem said:

What happens if all 3 AL West teams end up in a tie, with 13-13 records against each other?

Assume TOR is in.

I believe it goes to the team with the best intradivision record. The next tiebreaker is interdivision. Seattle and TX are currently tied at 22-24 while Houston is 25-18.

For interdivision, Houston currently has 30 wins, TX has 39 wins, and Seattle has 33 wins. All teams are finished with interdivision play so TX has the edge, followed by Seattle.

This is all contingent upon me reading the tiebreaker rules correctly.
Double Talkin' Jive...
sburg2007
That always depends on who the opponent is and more important the day and time. I've made that bet before and lost selling & won buying if it was a weekday afternoon slot.
fc2112
sburg2007 said:

That always depends on who the opponent is and more important the day and time. I've made that bet before and lost selling & won buying if it was a weekday afternoon slot.
The advantage this year is no Yankees. Remember, all AL games are on same day. Yankees are perpetually ALWAYS on at night. So playoff tickets for a Tuesday 1 PM playoff game didn't always move real well.

Yeah, I actually lost money on playoff tickets because of the damn Yankees.
Proposition Joe
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

If I remember correctly, MLB sets ticket prices for the postseason so these prices aren't on the Rangers.

I bought tickets for the first ALDS game for $100 plus fees last week. Hoping I get to go but if not the secondary market should be hot.

MLB gives guidance, but teams can still set their own prices. And ultimately teams can simply restrict supply and sell through their secondary partners and charge whatever the market dictates that way.

ALDS demand will depend on if we win the division or are a wildcard team. If we wind up as a wildcard, then the ALDS home games will be mid-week which is a crapshoot on demand.

New stadium definitely helps though, as a Sunday 1pm game isn't going to be hindered by the heat. Back in 2010 -- yes first playoffs in forever -- we had Game 4 ALDS on a Sunday at noon which was a potential clinch game and you couldn't give some of those tickets away. Too damn hot.
94chem
In a 3 way tie, TEX would have the worst record against the AL West.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

sburg2007 said:

The advantage this year is no Yankees. Remember, all AL games are on same day. Yankees are perpetually ALWAYS on at night. So playoff tickets for a Tuesday 1 PM playoff game didn't always move real well.

Whoever gets the Blow Jays will probably be saddled with the crappy time slot. The MLB also cares about tv ratings and Canada's doesn't really count / make profits.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
94chem said:

Yeah, looking at it, we have to go 1-3 in Seattle to finish 13-13 against Houston and Seattle. That gets is to 27-19 in the West without the results against LAAA. Our wins could be anywhere from 30 to 27 with that result in Seattle. That's not going to work.

Tell you what, let's just win 5 more and call it good.
Double Talkin' Jive...
aggietony2010
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

94chem said:

Yeah, looking at it, we have to go 1-3 in Seattle to finish 13-13 against Houston and Seattle. That gets is to 27-19 in the West without the results against LAAA. Our wins could be anywhere from 30 to 27 with that result in Seattle. That's not going to work.

In a hypothetical three way tie, worst record is irrelevant. Once the tie is broken for the division, it reverts to a two way tie for the wildcard. So I believe in these scenarios, Houston gets the division by virtue of intra-division record, and then we win head to head against Seattle.

I think.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

sburg2007 said:

Whoever gets the Blow Jays will probably be saddled with the crappy time slot. The MLB also cares about tv ratings and Canada's doesn't really count / make profits.
The Canada vs US has played well, recently.
94chem
aggietony2010 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

94chem said:

In a hypothetical three way tie, worst record is irrelevant. Once the tie is broken for the division, it reverts to a two way tie for the wildcard. So I believe in these scenarios, Houston gets the division by virtue of intra-division record, and then we win head to head against Seattle.

I think.

That makes too much sense to be correct.
94chem,
caleblyn
MAGIC NUMBER TO WIN DIVISION

Seattle - 5
Houston - 5

fc2112

So I was kinda joking about throwing games this weekend to screw Houston, but gee don't we want to?

I think we match up better against Seattle or Minnesota than Houston. If we clinch, say on Thursday or Friday, a couple of bullpen days and some rest fo Semien/Seager/Heim and others could be in order.
caleblyn
Absolutely!

Kick Astros to the side! The Astros still have a team that could with the entire thing. If we clinch it Thursday evening, we should not pitch a starter on Fri, Sat, or Sun.
fc2112
Austin Hedges needs to start stretching.
aggietony2010
AG
Confirmed

Quote:

Note: If the three teams are tied for a division championship plus one Wild Card spot, then, once the above is used to determine the division champ, the remaining two teams revert to the two-team tiebreaker procedure to determine the Wild Card.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules
94chem
My priorities, in order, would be:
1) Win division.
2a) Keep HOU out of post-season (sign of respect, not animosity)
2b) Win wildcard if necessary.
94chem,
caleblyn
My Priorities...in order...

1. Win World Series
2. Win ALCS
3. Win ALDS
4. (if necessary) - Win Wild Card
frenchtoast
What an incredible weekend! I was not expecting the sweep.

We're 5-5 against the Angels this season. I'm more worried about this series than any of the others.
Mr Gigem
AG
Got my playoff tickets this morning
94chem
...so you could have a scenario where SEA and HOU enter the final day of the season one game back, and tied for the final wild card. SEA and HOU both win, forcing a 3-way tie. HOU takes the division, TEX gets the WC, and SEA gets left out. Don't know if I've ever seen a team in the play-offs win and get knocked out.
94chem,
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

Got my playoff tickets this morning
By jove, so did I!
fc2112
One of the benefits of robotic umpires is that - when we think a call is bad, we'd just say "well the robot ca see it better".

Alan Porter had a much better day yesterday than I thought he did. Still single handedly almost turned the game over to Seattle, but per the numbers, he wasn't all that bad.

Mr Gigem
AG
I wish those scorecards would also give a report on what happened immediately after those impactful calls. For example, Evan Carter should have had a 3-0 count. What should have been a 4 pitch walk, ended up being a strike out and ending the inning

Mr Gigem
AG
Same thing with Jung's AB in the 3rd. What should have been a walk and then two runners on base with Adolis coming to the plate, ends up being a called third strike out of the zone

Garcia comes to the plate next inning and hits a solo HR

Mr Gigem
AG
The called ball in Lowe's AB was not egregious at all. Ball is MOSTLY out of the zone, just a sliver in the zone. Would technically be a strike if it could be challenged. Lowe ends up walking.

Following batter Josh Jung is called out on strikes with a ball well below the zone and it's not even close for there to be any sort of argument.
gigem1223
So who's everyone starting 3/4 if the playoffs started tomorrow? Eovaldi has been shakey since his comeback, really need him to get back to form. If I had to guess it'd look something like this.

1. Eovaldi
2. Montgomery
3. Dunning
4. Gray
Tksymm7
AG
1. Monty
2. Eovaldi
3. Dunning and Perez
4. Gray

Not great but we will deal with it if we make it.
First Page Last Page
Page 605 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.