*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,224,758 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know we all know how bad this bullpen is, but I took a look, as I had made jokes about calling this bullpen "replacement level" an insult to replacements.

Counting Dunning and Perez (and the exclusive starters) as starters:

Starting Pitcher WAR: 13.7
Bullpen WAR: -0.4

Literally below replacement level. We can even concede Perez and his +0.2 WAR to the bullpen and they're still sub replacement level...and that's with Bradford and his +0.5 WAR in the bullpen, when in reality, most of that +0.5 is probably from his 4-5 serviceable spot starts.
MrCoachEricTaylor
My biggest fear about DFAing Sborz is that he'd turn around and transform into a weapon for another team, a la Ragans.

Earlier this season he put together a VERY effective month of June. He threw 16.1 IP allowed 1 ER on a solo HR, gave up 5 hits 2 walks and struck out 22 batters. He's got the stuff to be a valuable weapon, I honestly don't know what it's going to take for him to put it all together. But I'd rather keep him between AAA and the majors on our team and pitching in ZERO leverage situations. If we were to DFA him that opens him up to anyone claiming him.. and the absolute last thing we want is for Houston to claim him and get their pitching staff to work with him.
Chipotlemonger
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

My biggest fear about DFAing Sborz is that he'd turn around and transform into a weapon for another team
This should never enter into the equation for the front office. Either he's helping us or hurting us. Helping us? keep. Hurting us? DFA.
rbtexan
S
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

My biggest fear about DFAing Sborz is that he'd turn around and transform into a weapon for another team, a la Ragans.

Earlier this season he put together a VERY effective month of June. He threw 16.1 IP allowed 1 ER on a solo HR, gave up 5 hits 2 walks and struck out 22 batters. He's got the stuff to be a valuable weapon, I honestly don't know what it's going to take for him to put it all together. But I'd rather keep him between AAA and the majors on our team and pitching in ZERO leverage situations. If we were to DFA him that opens him up to anyone claiming him.. and the absolute last thing we want is for Houston to claim him and get their pitching staff to work with him.
No. I'm sorry, but no.

Josh Sborz is what he is. His performance this season is typical of his entire career. Flashes of brilliance compromised by a majority of outings where he's average to downright awful. In 135 career appearances in the majors, he has an ERA of 5.18. He's 29 years old - 29. When exactly is it that we think he's going to "put it all together"?

He's not going to, and if by some miracle he does with another team, good for him. He's had plenty of chances with the Rangers and it's time we quit carrying his dead weight and move on. Let's don't forget he came to us from the Dodgers - and there's no better team in baseball for developing pitchers than the Dodgers. He's a stiff, dump him.
Jimbo Franchione
aggietony2010
AG
Eovaldi activated.
Ian Kennedy selected from Round Rock.
Josh Sborz to the IL-15
Glenn Otto designated for assignment.
AggieRob93
AG
Well, it's something regarding movement of some bullpen pieces.

Interested to see Eovaldi's outing, and how long he is allowed to pitch.
Tksymm7
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Eovaldi activated.
Ian Kennedy selected from Round Rock.
Josh Sborz to the IL-15
Glenn Otto designated for assignment.
The ole "you sucked so much in your last outing we're going to make up an injury so you don't have to pitch for us again" move, lol.
aggietony2010
AG
Was Otto out of options? We must be really desperate if we're mortgaging any future he might have for a month of washed up Ian Kennedy.
gigem1223
So we're DFAing a pitcher who struggled with giving up homeruns for another pitcher that gives up a bunch home runs. Why is Kent not getting a shot? And even though he's not on the 40, I'd like to see Kelly as well.
South Platte
Just call Bumgarner and tell him to leave the hunting blind. We need him to close tonight. No chance he's worse than what we've put out there for the past 2 months.
dvldog
AG
AggieRob93 said:

Well, it's something regarding movement of some bullpen pieces.

Interested to see Eovaldi's outing, and how long he is allowed to pitch.
In a radio interview today, Bochy said that he's thrown as many as 70 pitches once over the past few weeks, but his pitch count today wouldn't be that high.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Oh cool. So we should see the bullpen in the 4th or 5th.

Is it too late to put in a bet on Houston for tonight?
DallasAg 94
If we get Eovaldi for 3... Dunning for 5-6...?

Dunning was scheduled.
DallasAg 94
Kennedy could provide a leadership role?!
DallasAg 94
aggietony2010 said:

Was Otto out of options? We must be really desperate if we're mortgaging any future he might have for a month of washed up Ian Kennedy.
I think he has 2 more Options.

From a SI article:

Quote:

The Rangers have seven days to release or outright Otto to the minor leagues.

I ran into this earlier in the season about terms on here. DFA. Optioned... The other things is, how does the September Waiver stuff change anything.

Can the Rangers Outright Otto to the Minors or can teams put in a claim?

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/designate-for-assignment

FWIW, CYoung said Sborz has been battling a hamstring issue. In July he went to the IL with bicen tendinitis.
PatriotAg02
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

If we get Eovaldi for 3... Dunning for 5-6...?

Dunning was scheduled.

No doubt Dunning will pitch tonight
DallasAg 94
I'm not opposed to using Tandem rotations (for the playoffs).

Scherzer+Heaney
Montgomery+Dunning
Eovaldi+Perez

I might flip Heaney and Perez, because I think Eovaldi may have a shorter PC and you'll want someone to go a little longer. 8.0-9.p IP for the combined tandem?!

Could be an answer...
aggietony2010
AG
I think he has to clear waivers to outright him, as optioning him would've kept him on the 40.

We also have one less player to utilize if we stop the bleeding and make the playoffs. Kennedy won't be eligible unless I'm missing something.
bmac_aggie18
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I'm not opposed to using Tandem rotations (for the playoffs).

Scherzer+Heaney
Montgomery+Dunning
Eovaldi+Perez

I might flip Heaney and Perez, because I think Eovaldi may have a shorter PC and you'll want someone to go a little longer. 8.0-9.p IP for the combined tandem?!

Could be an answer...

That sounds insane but the more I think about it I love it. I mean what other choice do we have? The back half of the rotation is better than our BP by a long shot
Proposition Joe
It took Bochy a two months to bring Chapman into an inning with no one on base.

I don't see him going to a unique tandem rotation.
GreasenUSA
AG
Just do whatever it takes to grind out a win tonight.

Hopefully the bats can get on Framber early and often.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well this has started well.
kyledr04
AG
That blows
DallasAg 94
Eovaldi on a PC... is that Total pitches... or just Strikes?! Cause he is sure limiting the number of Strikes.
DallasAg 94
3 R, 27 PC, 1.0 IP.

I think the word is "disaster?!"
beagle2009
AG
I'm straight up not having a good time with this team
agent-maroon
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

3 R, 27 PC, 1.0 IP.

Don't you try and sugarcoat it DallasAg! Don't you even try...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tksymm7
AG
I know we're all fans and watching is what we do, but not watching has kept me from the looney bin the last few weeks.
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatriotAg02
AG
Sticking with my prediction of Dunning pitching tonight
ryanhnc10
AG
Good start, lol. Might have to watch tennis instead.
PatriotAg02
AG
Not sure who did what or what did who, but this "team" ain't a team anymore. Like, at all.
DallasAg 94
agent-maroon said:

DallasAg 94 said:

3 R, 27 PC, 1.0 IP.

Don't you try and sugarcoat it DallasAg! Don't you even try...
That was sugarcoating it.
DeangeloVickers
AG
DallasAg 94
PatriotAg02 said:

Sticking with my prediction of Dunning pitching tonight
At least you haven't called for a Blown Save and OT Loss by walking in the winning Run.
First Page Last Page
Page 543 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.