*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,227,004 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
beagle2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eovaldi set to start tomorrow night
Tksymm7
AG
I wish I could be exited about this.
Grapesoda2525
Mozart Paintings said:

We won't make the playoffs
We can't beat the Astros or the Twinkies. Winning records against the A's, jays, guardians, and mariners. I guess I'm leaning on that because it's starting to look like all we have to hopefully fall back on.

Like I said, I don't give a **** where we get in anymore, I just want to get in.

Still have 20 games left with those teams and the angels gave away all their players so those 20 should be winnable for us I hope.
Tksymm7
AG
We're a half game up on the Jays for the final wild card spot and throwing games left and right, we're not getting in. It's a huge kick in the dick after this season, but we wouldn't do anything in the playoffs anyways.
CampingAg
AG
Tksymm7 said:

We're a half game up on the Jays for the final wild card spot and throwing games left and right, we're not getting in. It's a huge kick in the dick after this season, but we wouldn't do anything in the playoffs anyways.

Unfortunately I agree. Plus three games @ Skydome where historically we ALWAYS play well. Not. That series will be a three game party for the Jays.
Tksymm7
AG
We knew our bullpen wasn't great coming into the season, but I'm not sure there's anyone on the planet who thought they could be this putrid.
PatriotAg02
AG
beagle2009 said:

Too little too late. It'll take a ****ing miracle to get in at this point. Not the same team.
Farmer1906
AG
I am sure I am not appreciated in this thread but I'll be in town tomorrow so if anyone wants a round, hit me up. I'm sure we can find common ground on the Diamond or at worst rooting for Wiggy to make a Heisman run.
Mr Gigem
AG
Flounder Dorfman
AG
CampingAg said:

Tksymm7 said:

Unfortunately I agree. Plus three games @ Skydome where historically we ALWAYS play well. Not. That series will be a three game party for the Jays.

Not to make matters worse, but it's a four game series at Toronto.
gigem1223
PatriotAg02 said:

beagle2009 said:

Too little too late. It'll take a ****ing miracle to get in at this point. Not the same team.

I wouldn't say it's the "team". It's the bullpen. The team is battling. It's got to be frustrating for them to keep seeing this night after night and then fight back night after night and never have enough. With an average bullpen we wouldn't even be in this situation. We could have the best lineup and rotation in the league but with our bullpen it's impossible to make a run.
94chem
Even when they were 40-20, the pen was still a disaster. It just seemed like something that would regress to mediocrity, but it's actually gotten substantially worse. I don't believe that any lead is safe. In any inning.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
WestTexasAg
AG
I'm looking for any glimmer of hope for this historically atrocious bullpen. Maybe with Eovaldi back Dunning can help? He was certainly good out of the pen earlier this season.
WestTexasAg
AG
Also, where has Duran been?? Two starts in a row for Josh Smith?
bmac_aggie18
AG
WestTexasAg said:

I'm looking for any glimmer of hope for this historically atrocious bullpen. Maybe with Eovaldi back Dunning can help? He was certainly good out of the pen earlier this season.

I'm thinking so, heck even Perez out there is better than anything else cause he only gives up 1 or 2 runs instead of 3 or 4+
JWinTX
Never imagined that this team would be playing a game on Labor Day for first place at the beginning of the year…gotta keep telling myself that to ease the pain of the colossal disappointment we are enduring in this epic
meltdown that started on that HR in SF that Will Smith gave up with two outs in the 10th. Catastrophic moment of the season…
Chipotlemonger
AG
Didn't get to follow the game today. Bad box score. Good to see some offensive production out of the gate, I followed the first inning, but the rest of the game was not surprising unfortunately. Just no pulse right now. Batting and great starts covered up and helped the bullpen the first half. Ever since the ASB, that trend just hasn't continued.
That being said, it's been a fun season and still it great to be in contention come Labor Day.
alvtimes
AggieRob93 said:

As the Rangers are warming up for the offseason, anyone else here feel like Bochy will look back at this year, say he doesn't need this stress in his life, and walks away? I've been wrong about plenty over the years, and may be wrong about this, but just get that feeling.

Right there with ya! And I dont really care…. this is an implosion of gigantic proportions….. maybe the grandpa philosophy doesnt work with this team….. bring in a manager that will get in that ass if you continually suck???? IDK…. the switch was flipped a few weeks ago and noone has been able to flip it back!
gigem1223
Need Nate and Dane to hold it down all 9 tonight!
option short side
AG
Has Sborzs been DFA yet?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
option short side said:

Has Sborzs been DFA yet?

I'm hoping it just takes a little while for the paperwork to go through.
94chem
option short side said:

Has Sborzs been DFA yet?
They used about 9 pitchers in the game against Minnesota, and Sborz wasn't one of them. We were just saving him for Houston.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
FriscoKid
AG
This is painful to watch. At least they kept us entertained until football season. Maybe they can turn it around, but wow.
AgBQ-00
AG
This year has been a blast and this collapse is painful. I trust CY to get the bullpen corrected and to maintain or better our starting pitching. Hoping this builds hunger in the organization to finish.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I think the bullpen will be much better next season. For one, it has to be since this is rock bottom. But more importantly, it's the one area that can be focused on in the off-season.

The starting pitching looks pretty set. Scherzer, Heaney, Dunning, Gray are all back. I hope they re-sign Montgomery and think they will. DeGrom should be back this time next year. Bradford, White, Otto might be in the mix. Probably pick up a couple of guys to compete in the spring. And Rocker will be back in action in the minors a little before DeGrom.

I don't know what you do about the lineup. So much of it is set. The infield all returns and doesn't need to be upgraded anywhere. Heim is behind the plate. I don't know Garver's contract situation off the top of my head. Outfield can be shaken up. Do you keep Garcia in right? I can make an argument on both sides there. Same with Taveras. And LF will be a place holder until Carter or Langford get there (I think it will be Langford by the all-star break.

It will be an interesting off-season. Much more interesting than this train wreck we're watching right now.
Jimtim1216
S
As much as it hurts right now, I think it was actually smart to not overpay for Bullpen help at the deadline. We did not give up a huge amount for the starters and 2 relievers we got. I think this s an area that can be completely re-vamped in the off season. The Rangers window is starting to open while others are closing. Let's not speed up the window closing by gutting the farm at this point.
WestTexasAg
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

I think the bullpen will be much better next season. For one, it has to be since this is rock bottom. But more importantly, it's the one area that can be focused on in the off-season.

The starting pitching looks pretty set. Scherzer, Heaney, Dunning, Gray are all back. I hope they re-sign Montgomery and think they will. DeGrom should be back this time next year. Bradford, White, Otto might be in the mix. Probably pick up a couple of guys to compete in the spring. And Rocker will be back in action in the minors a little before DeGrom.

I don't know what you do about the lineup. So much of it is set. The infield all returns and doesn't need to be upgraded anywhere. Heim is behind the plate. I don't know Garver's contract situation off the top of my head. Outfield can be shaken up. Do you keep Garcia in right? I can make an argument on both sides there. Same with Taveras. And LF will be a place holder until Carter or Langford get there (I think it will be Langford by the all-star break.

It will be an interesting off-season. Much more interesting than this train wreck we're watching right now.
Good summary. Yes, the bullpen should obviously be the focus. I too wonder about Garver's contract status. Hope we have him locked up for a while. Sure like the combo of Heim/Garver at catcher/DH. Like you said, the infield is set - and its a damn solid group. I think Adolis in right and Leody in center is what we roll with. Left field is where we need an upgrade.
WestTexasAg
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

As much as it hurts right now, I think it was actually smart to not overpay for Bullpen help at the deadline. We did not give up a huge amount for the starters and 2 relievers we got. I think this s an area that can be completely re-vamped in the off season. The Rangers window is starting to open while others are closing. Let's not speed up the window closing by gutting the farm at this point.
Would have been nice to have added one more bullpen arm at a minimum, but I get your point. Also, I don't think anyone could have seen the bullpen being THIS bad. Like historically awful.
DeangeloVickers
AG
dave94
South Platte
WestTexasAg said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

Good summary. Yes, the bullpen should obviously be the focus. I too wonder about Garver's contract status. Hope we have him locked up for a while. Sure like the combo of Heim/Garver at catcher/DH. Like you said, the infield is set - and its a damn solid group. I think Adolis in right and Leody in center is what we roll with. Left field is where we need an upgrade.
Garver is on a one year deal. Hope we sign him for next year and beyond. He's an ideal DH in that he can also play a position. I wouldn't be surprised for Garver to try and use this year to leverage a longer contract as a position player.

Charlie Blackmon also comes off his contract with Colorado. He's 37, but he's had a rock solid career batting leadoff, sometimes with help behind him in the lineup, other times not so much. He'd be a great lefty DH and we could probably get him for cheap.
gigem1223
Time to DFA Sborz and call up Kent. Kent has a 1.45 ERA, 6 BBs, .86 WHIP over 18.1 IP at round rock. AND he's on the 40.
Jimtim1216
S
I say DFA quite a few of them……
AggieRob93
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

I say DFA quite a few of them……
No doubt, but to me Sborz should be the starting point. If he is dfa'd, that means someone is holding him responsible for his horribad performances and willing to make necessary changes. While a change might not return the desired result, to continue as is would be nothing short of writing this season off.

We will obviously wait and see if management is going to do something to try and extend this season or just ride the bullpen into the offseason.
Proposition Joe
Good front offices don't "hold people responsible" for poor play.

If there's a better option that Sborz, I trust the front office will evaluate it.

DFAing a guy just to prove a point doesn't prove a point to anyone if there's no better solution.
First Page Last Page
Page 542 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.