*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,376,402 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
MrCoachEricTaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win
I had mixed feelings about who to root for. We are going to have to start focusing on the wildcard if we continue to have the most anemic offense in the game ( I'm over exaggerating a little) but damn we get shut out and shut down wayyyy too often for being a top 5 ranked offense.
We are 2nd in Runs (708) and 2nd in Run Differential (+181).

Relax.

Obviously he is the biggest over-reactor in this thread, but important to realize that much of our gaudy run #'s were all put up in the first 2-3 months of the season.

Post ASB we are #12th in runs scored -- behind both Houston (who actually has had offensive woes this season) and Seattle.

This is a completely different offense than it was in April/May/June. Some of it is injury (Jung) but most of it is simply regression.
You've made a special point and I'll remind you of it... You can't cherry-pick stats and then misapply their use.

Are we going with regression or arbitrary dates to suit your need? At least give context... I'm limiting it to AL for a variety of reasons... one of which I'm not going to go into the full number of teams because it isn't necessary to make my point.

Pre ASB: Runs
531 Rangers - 91 G = 5.84 R/G
506 Tampa - 93 G
451 Boston - 91 G
-
417 Astros (6th) - 91 G = 4.58 R/G
404 Mariners (7th) - 89 G = 4.54 R/G

Post ASB: Runs
212 Astros (1st) - 37 G = 5.73 R/G
198 Mariners (2nd) - 38 G = 5.21 R/G
181 Twins (3rd) - 36 G = 5.03 R/G
181 Rays (4th) - 35 G = 5.17 R/G
180 O's (5th) - 37 G = 4.86 R/G
180 Royals (6th) - 38 G = 4.74 R/G
177 Rangers (7th) - 35 G = 5.05 R/G

Technically, yes the Rangers are 7th in AL in Runs scored since the ASB... but based on R/G, they are 4th. So, are we going to revert back to the 5.84 R/G team and the Astros/Mariners going back to the 4.5-4.6 range... or is baseball fickle based on slumps and hot streaks and Seattle is just en fuego, right now?

Here is what matters:
Record:
72-54 Rangers
72-56 Astros
71-56 Mariners

Post ASB:
26-12 Mariners
22-15 Astros
20-15 Rangers

Both the Astros and Mariners are averaging fewer R/G post ASB, than the Rangers were Pre-ASB. And while the Mariners have certainly closed the gap... The Astros have made up exactly 1Game since. And we've had as many as 5 of our 6 All-Stars on the IL simultaneously.

Let that sink in... 4th in AL in R/G since the ASB while 5 of 6 All-Stars have been on the IL. And the Astros have made up exactly 1 Game.

Does that bode well for any of the teams? To your point, the Mariners will likely regress. Their PED cycle will end and the Rangers' will ramp up.

ETA - This post isn't meant to be hostile, but mostly tongue-in-cheek banter while adding context to your stats.

Jung can't get back soon enough
What is the ETA for Jung's return? Don't recall seeing an update on him recently.

At the beginning it was kinda 50/50 about coming back. But Bochy has come out and said that he's expecting him to rehab with the team and be back with a couple of weeks back before playoffs. But we'll see, with all the times Jung has gotten hurt, I do feel like he heals up pretty quick.
ryanhnc10
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

The most amazing thing is that if we were to sweep the twinkies, then a lot of you would move on to the next thing to complain about

You serious? We are complaining about not winning and playing poorly, so yes if we start winning and playing better we won't complain as much
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe said:

I won't dive deep into your entire post as it's the usual number-spewing without any actual context, but to put very simply:

Without Jung and a functional Heim, this offense is very average. So you can choose to believe that the 2.3 WAR and 2.8 WAR deficit created by the loss of those two's production will simply be made up by the other players on the roster via the "ebbs and flows" of the season, but it takes a pretty barren grasp of numbers to think that.
I thought we were talking about Runs, but if you want to change the discussion, that's fine. Change the conversation. The fact is, while our R/G have dropped, as it pertains to the league, it hasn't been very dramatic and is consistent with the ebbs and flows of the season.

You're not going to convince me that Garver has not been about to fill the Offensive gap:

As a Catcher.
Garver: 26G, .348, 7 HR, 25 RBI, .420 OBP, 1.083 OPS
JHeim: 88G, .284, 12 HR, 66 RBI, .342 OBP, .811 OPS

We can discuss the Defense, framing, pitching impact... but I thought we were talking about Runs.

Yes, Duran is a drop from Jung, despite similar BA and OBP. Duran hits mostly at the bottom of the order. Garver has mostly hit 5th in Jung's spot. Jung and Heim were All-Stars and started the season over Duran and Garver. I'd argue mostly due to defensive ability. That'd probably be more relevant talking pitching.

Sure, Josh Smith is a failure at 3B.
caleblyn
FWIW

Remaining Schedule

Rangers - 36 games (Avg Win/Team = 63.8)
Mariners x3 Home
Mariners x4 Away
Astros x3 Home

Astros - 34 games (59.5)
Rangers x3 Away
Mariners x3 Away
They get the pleasure of playing 6 games vs. Royals *rolling eyes*

Mariners - 35 games (61.6)
Rangers x3 Away
Rangers x4 Home
Astros x3 Home
Proposition Joe
It gets the point where I'm not sure you even know what point you are trying to make with your numbers.

Losing Jung and Heim has impacted our offensive output significantly.

You can believe that that's just "ebbs and flows" and the other players will inevitably pickup the offensive slack, but unfortunately that's not how things work.

A bunch of our guys aren't gonna hit 0.115 like they have the last month, but we aren't going to be putting up 5.8 RPG like we did previously with a healthy roster.

This is where you post 3 pages showing Janikowski historically actually hits above 0.350 on odd number days in September so we're likely going to have a big bounce back.
DallasAg 94
How's this?

Boston up 5-0 on Houston in the B2.
Hungry Ojos
8-0 now and threatening.

ETA: 9-0 and threatening.

ETA: 10-0 and threatening.

ETA: 11-0 and threatening.
Tksymm7
AG
The Astros getting dump-trucked is just a good example of baseball doing what baseball does. Good teams have bad games and bad stretches. Am I a little concerned about the offense? Sure, but not to the point where I think this team is some fraud.
PatriotAg02
AG
Damn lots of baseball left though.
Proposition Joe
Red Sox are 67-60, they aren't really a bad team.

Nor are the Brewers, or the Diamondbacks. The concern isn't losing a game or even losing a series. It's just when you start getting swept and/or losing consecutive series that things become concerning.

Not anything Texas can do but ride it out, but still frustrating and concerning.
DallasAg 94
But that Run Differential.

I'm hoping both the Mariners and Astros have run their streak and the Rangers are about to get their streak.

Seattle may have peaked too soon... they had to make an effort to remain relevant.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223
It's going to be so nice when we see Eovaldi's name every 5th day instead of Heaney's.
NateDog
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

8-0 now and threatening.

ETA: 9-0 and threatening.

ETA: 10-0 and threatening.

ETA: 11-0 and threatening.
Wait wait, I was told with much glee Tuesday night as a Rangers fan, "Enjoy your last night with the Rangers in first place!"

Then again, back at the end of June they were going to sweep us in a 4 game series, and have us out of first place by the end of that week...which didn't happen. Then that same noise again before our head to head series in late July...and once again it didn't happen.

Poor fellas just continue to suffer from "premature declaration."
PatriotAg02
AG
Ok, we've been given a lifeline. A day off the clear the head and come back on a mission. Let's get that W.
DallasAg 94
FWIW
Seager (.343) needs 13.6 PA to be Qualified Road games usually get him 5 PA
Duran (.287) 12.6 needed
Heim (.270) 9.6 needed

Heaney needs 32.0 IP to get his bonus. Need 7.0 IP out of him tonight.

Twins are very beatable. Dinking and Dunking, patient... need to play sound D and keep them off the bases via unnecessary BBs.
fc2112
fc2112
Heaney has a lot of money riding on tonight's game against a .500 team.

Earn your millions tonight, bro.
Grapesoda2525
Jimtim1216 said:

The most amazing thing is that if we were to sweep the twinkies, then a lot of you would move on to the next thing to complain about
The board would be overwhelmingly positive / relieved if we pulled off a 4 game road sweep in Minnesota as long as no major injuries of course.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Jimtim1216 said:

The board would be overwhelmingly positive / relieved if we pulled off a 4 game road sweep in Minnesota as long as no major injuries of course.
At least until the next Loss.
DallasAg 94
Houston is now statistically behind the Mariners.
agent-maroon
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Houston is now statistically behind the Mariners.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatriotAg02
AG
fc2112 said:

Heaney has a lot of money riding on tonight's game against a .500 team.

Earn your millions tonight, bro.

That's not a good thing. He usually doesn't do well with pressure to perform. With the money AND the team desperate for a win. Hope I'm wrong.
Baby Billy
AG
JP MARTINEZ NEEDS TO BE IN THE LINEUP

Grapesoda2525
Don't think I'm overstating it……

A win tonight would be huge and one of the biggest of the season at this point.

1) stops the epic losing skid

2) guaranteed to gain on Astros and mariners. Hopefully jays too.

3) win a game where we are throwing Heaney and the opponent is throwing an ace.

4) get a road win which is more rare for this team than some other teams.

MrCoachEricTaylor
Another thing that plays into our hands this series, their lineup is pretty underwhelming. So with our pitching, we should have a legit shot in every game this series.
Jimtim1216
S
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Another thing that plays into our hands this series, their lineup is pretty underwhelming. So with our pitching, we should have a legit shot in every game this series.

Heaney is pitching.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Jimtim1216 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Heaney is pitching.

Yes, but all except two guys in their lineup is batting under .250, and one of them only has 122 ABs on the season.

As bad as he's been lately, he's still the guy that struck out 9 guys in a row earlier this season. He's just gotta get that switch flipped again.
Legal Custodian
AG
Raymond is back
Mozart Paintings
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Raymond is back

Good. Break the curse
Legal Custodian
AG
Quality user name….uhh music
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Scoreless streak over.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Mozart Paintings said:

Legal Custodian said:

Raymond is back

Good. Break the curse

Honestly if that's what it takes to start winning again, I'll gladly watch the games on mute haha
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't know what mics they have pointed at the plate but you can hear the hiss on these balls. It's kinda cool.
fc2112
Janko so good
First Page Last Page
Page 484 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.