*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,376,305 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No luck in Houston tonight. Still alone in 1st!
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
PatriotAg02
AG
Not sure how we still have a 1 game lead after dropping 6 straight, but I'll take it!
Grapesoda2525
Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win
I had mixed feelings about who to root for. We are going to have to start focusing on the wildcard if we continue to have the most anemic offense in the game ( I'm over exaggerating a little) but damn we get shut out and shut down wayyyy too often for being a top 5 ranked offense.
Grapesoda2525
Blue jays / Mariners lost which also helps us a bit
DallasAg 94
PatriotAg02 said:

Not sure how we still have a 1 game lead after dropping 6 straight, but I'll take it!
Sometimes things in baseball aren't as bad as they feel.

FPTR!
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win
I had mixed feelings about who to root for. We are going to have to start focusing on the wildcard if we continue to have the most anemic offense in the game ( I'm over exaggerating a little) but damn we get shut out and shut down wayyyy too often for being a top 5 ranked offense.
We are 2nd in Runs (708) and 2nd in Run Differential (+181).

Relax.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win

Relax.
Look at all the magnificent pitching performances we've wasted over the last 2 weeks. Our starting pitchers are killing it and have nothing to show for it.
Mr Gigem
AG
Hit a walkoff single in my softball teams championship game tonight. This is where our season turns around, ladies and gents
Coppell97
AG
Agree. New day for the Rangers tomorrow.
Mr Gigem
AG
Coppell97
AG
Congrats!
dave94
AG
Mr Gigem said:

We'll excuse the camerawork due to the dog wanting in the shot!
aggietony2010
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

DallasAg 94
It usually balances out. Some pitchers are less fortunate... others more fortunate... but you get great SP that doesn't get rewarded with a W and you have a crappy game where the SP doesn't get the L. Sometimes they get a W.

Sometimes your Pitching is slumping while your hitting is on fire... sometimes it goes the other way.

It's baseball.
alvtimes
not Rangers…. but supposedly Shohei torn UCL tonight…I realize the bat is legit…. but crazy bad timing. Probably doesnt cost him too much but dang thats bad timing, 5 maybe 6 more starts before a potential 500 million dollar contract
Jimtim1216
S
So he is out pretty much until July/August of next year
DallasAg 94
Terrible news on Ohtani.

Ohtani will be out from a pitching perspective but can still DH as he did in 2019, after 2018 TJ.

As a DH, you can still argue he is one of... if not the best hitter. But, relegated to DH... how much are you willing to pay for a DH? He won't be throwing meaningful ABs until 2026, IMO.

Trout back to the IL, as well.
Grapesoda2525
Today was a pretty good day for the rangers.

90% of competitors lost. WE DID NOT LOSE. No rangers got hurt.

We still have a tough schedule where we will face aces in both of our next series. I'm hoping we can duck Lopez for the home slate with the Twinkies. They should opt to throw him against Cleveland instead of against us, but we'll see.

Lopez and Gray are tough. So still got some turbulence to deal with. Would be nice to jump on some team with a 5-6 run lead. Haven't seen that happen in forever. Still got a massive losing streak to kill.
Grapesoda2525

6 innings and 11k's for Ragans against the A's.
Grapesoda2525

Can they help the big club remember how to win?
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win

Relax.

Obviously he is the biggest over-reactor in this thread, but important to realize that much of our gaudy run #'s were all put up in the first 2-3 months of the season.

Post ASB we are #12th in runs scored -- behind both Houston (who actually has had offensive woes this season) and Seattle.

This is a completely different offense than it was in April/May/June. Some of it is injury (Jung) but most of it is simply regression.
gigem1223
And 7th in run differential.

Losing Heim, Jung, Seager are the biggest reasons imo. Injuries have put too much pressure on role players (Jankowski, Grossman, Garver, Duran) that 1. Didn't play every day in the first half and 2. Weren't asked to hit in the 2 hole or in the middle of the line up.
Tksymm7
AG
And just like that Ohtani has a tear in his UCL and Trout is going back to the IL.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Tksymm7 said:

And just like that Ohtani has a tear in his UCL and Trout is going back to the IL.

Goodness Trout can't stay healthy to save his life. That's kinda what you get being a 240 lb CF'er
MrCoachEricTaylor
Mr Gigem said:

Hit a walkoff single in my softball teams championship game tonight. This is where our season turns around, ladies and gents

Tksymm7
AG
If I'm Ohtani's agent he's not playing another inning for the Angels. Do what you need to do to get him healthy for next year and cash that freaking check.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Was thinking the same but if anything this year shows how hard it is to manage his health when he's so elite on both the mound and at the plate. Have to think this could effect his value
CampingAg
AG
Maybe not all the Angels fault, but way to go Angels.
DallasAg 94
The days ahead:

@Minnesota
Heaney (24 GS, 4.27, 118.0 IP, 122 SO) v Lopez (25GS, 3.51, 153.2 IP, 187 SO)
Dunning (19GS, 3.19, 132.2 IP, 101 SO) v Gray (25GS, 3.15, 143.0 IP, 147 SO)
Scherzer (4GS, 2.66, 23.2 IP, 30 SO) v TBD
Montgomery (4GS, 1.73, 26.0 IP, 26 SO) v Ober (21GS, 3.41, 118.2 IP, 116 SO)

Too lazy to get Scherzer and Montgomery numbers for the season.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win

Relax.

Obviously he is the biggest over-reactor in this thread, but important to realize that much of our gaudy run #'s were all put up in the first 2-3 months of the season.

Post ASB we are #12th in runs scored -- behind both Houston (who actually has had offensive woes this season) and Seattle.

This is a completely different offense than it was in April/May/June. Some of it is injury (Jung) but most of it is simply regression.
You've made a special point and I'll remind you of it... You can't cherry-pick stats and then misapply their use.

Are we going with regression or arbitrary dates to suit your need? At least give context... I'm limiting it to AL for a variety of reasons... one of which I'm not going to go into the full number of teams because it isn't necessary to make my point.

Pre ASB: Runs
531 Rangers - 91 G = 5.84 R/G
506 Tampa - 93 G
451 Boston - 91 G
-
417 Astros (6th) - 91 G = 4.58 R/G
404 Mariners (7th) - 89 G = 4.54 R/G

Post ASB: Runs
212 Astros (1st) - 37 G = 5.73 R/G
198 Mariners (2nd) - 38 G = 5.21 R/G
181 Twins (3rd) - 36 G = 5.03 R/G
181 Rays (4th) - 35 G = 5.17 R/G
180 O's (5th) - 37 G = 4.86 R/G
180 Royals (6th) - 38 G = 4.74 R/G
177 Rangers (7th) - 35 G = 5.05 R/G

Technically, yes the Rangers are 7th in AL in Runs scored since the ASB... but based on R/G, they are 4th. So, are we going to revert back to the 5.84 R/G team and the Astros/Mariners going back to the 4.5-4.6 range... or is baseball fickle based on slumps and hot streaks and Seattle is just en fuego, right now?

Here is what matters:
Record:
72-54 Rangers
72-56 Astros
71-56 Mariners

Post ASB:
26-12 Mariners
22-15 Astros
20-15 Rangers

Both the Astros and Mariners are averaging fewer R/G post ASB, than the Rangers were Pre-ASB. And while the Mariners have certainly closed the gap... The Astros have made up exactly 1Game since. And we've had as many as 5 of our 6 All-Stars on the IL simultaneously.

Let that sink in... 4th in AL in R/G since the ASB while 5 of 6 All-Stars have been on the IL. And the Astros have made up exactly 1 Game.

Does that bode well for any of the teams? To your point, the Mariners will likely regress. Their PED cycle will end and the Rangers' will ramp up.

ETA - This post isn't meant to be hostile, but mostly tongue-in-cheek banter while adding context to your stats.
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win

Relax.

You've made a special point and I'll remind you of it... You can't cherry-pick stats and then misapply their use.

Are we going with regression or arbitrary dates to suit your need? At least give context... I'm limiting it to AL for a variety of reasons... one of which I'm not going to go into the full number of teams because it isn't necessary to make my point.

506 Tampa - 93 G
451 Boston - 91 G
-

Technically, yes the Rangers are 7th in AL in Runs scored since the ASB... but based on R/G, they are 4th. So, are we going to revert back to the 5.84 R/G team and the Astros/Mariners going back to the 4.5-4.6 range... or is baseball fickle based on slumps and hot streaks and Seattle is just en fuego, right now?

Here is what matters:
Record:
72-54 Rangers
72-56 Astros
71-56 Mariners

Post ASB:
26-12 Mariners
22-15 Astros
20-15 Rangers

Both the Astros and Mariners are averaging fewer R/G post ASB, than the Rangers were Pre-ASB. And while the Mariners have certainly closed the gap... The Astros have made up exactly 1Game since. And we've had as many as 5 of our 6 All-Stars on the IL simultaneously.

Let that sink in... 4th in AL in R/G since the ASB while 5 of 6 All-Stars have been on the IL. And the Astros have made up exactly 1 Game.

Does that bode well for any of the teams? To your point, the Mariners will likely regress. Their PED cycle will end and the Rangers' will ramp up.

ETA - This post isn't meant to be hostile, but mostly tongue-in-cheek banter while adding context to your stats.

Jung can't get back soon enough
Proposition Joe
I won't dive deep into your entire post as it's the usual number-spewing without any actual context, but to put very simply:

Without Jung and a functional Heim, this offense is very average. So you can choose to believe that the 2.3 WAR and 2.8 WAR deficit created by the loss of those two's production will simply be made up by the other players on the roster via the "ebbs and flows" of the season, but it takes a pretty barren grasp of numbers to think that.
Jimtim1216
S
The most amazing thing is that if we were to sweep the twinkies, then a lot of you would move on to the next thing to complain about
KT 90
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coppell97 said:

Red Sox win

Relax.

506 Tampa - 93 G
451 Boston - 91 G
-

Here is what matters:
Record:
72-54 Rangers
72-56 Astros
71-56 Mariners

Post ASB:
26-12 Mariners
22-15 Astros
20-15 Rangers

Jung can't get back soon enough
What is the ETA for Jung's return? Don't recall seeing an update on him recently.
First Page Last Page
Page 483 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.