***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,530,624 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Anybody surprised they Maldy was the leader in that champagne video?

Not in the least. Which is also why I don't constantly complain how much he plays. He is that guy on this team. It was Springer, then it was Correa and now it is Maldy
AgLA06
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Not at all. I think he has taken over the role of the emotional leader of the team since Correa left. I know that is an unpopular take around here, but obviously, the guys in that clubhouse have tons of respect for him and look to him for leadership.

Agreed. Doesn't mean he should be playing more than 1/3 of the time.
West Roxbury
We don't need to call each other morons or mental cases or whatever.

This thread needs some Paxil. One suggestion about Dusty and Maldy and lineups and everything at this point, it is 100% out of our control. We all know where everyone stands (pros and cons) on Dusty by now. Unless someone drops into the thread for the first time in a year, we know where you stand. And it will happen again. And again. Dusty will be out to pasture soon enough most likely. A comment here or there is one thing, but it's insanity if you come here expecting something different by now.

AlwaysNextYear89
AG
AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Not at all. I think he has taken over the role of the emotional leader of the team since Correa left. I know that is an unpopular take around here, but obviously, the guys in that clubhouse have tons of respect for him and look to him for leadership.

So lets go back to our previous leader Correa. If he was still here and hitting .230 this year (which, by the way, he is) and Pena was our "utility" guy and had hit say .260 or .270 part-time...would the narrative be the same? "no way Correa should be playing 2/3 of the games when the young guy is out-performing him". Just curious.
Mathguy64
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

Seattle looks like they are starting their regulars. Kudos to Servais.
I've never seen a team try to lose in order to "get" another team. Very few professional athletes get up in the morning thinking, "I"m going to intentionally suck today." Just not in their nature.

Teams tank all the time for draft picks. Spurs have. Others in the NBA have which is why they now do a lottery.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
West Roxbury said:

We don't need to call each other morons or mental cases or whatever.

This thread needs some Paxil. One suggestion about Dusty and Maldy and lineups and everything at this point, it is 100% out of our control. We all know where everyone stands (pros and cons) on Dusty by now. Unless someone drops into the thread for the first time in a year, we know where you stand. And it will happen again. And again. Dusty will be out to pasture soon enough most likely. A comment here or there is one thing, but it's insanity if you come here expecting something different by now.

those guys show up Monday and ask questions that seem dumb. I wish we could have thread flair and limit posts of new/bandwagon post season folks
AgLA06
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

So lets go back to our previous leader Correa. If he was still here and hitting .230 this year (which, by the way, he is) and Pena was our "utility" guy and had hit say .260 or .270 part-time...would the narrative be the same? "no way Correa should be playing 2/3 of the games when the young guy is out-performing him". Just curious.

That would insinuate this is a one year drop off for Maldy. It's not. Totally different scenarios. There's no benefit of the doubt because there's nothing else to expect.

Dusty playing Maldy is the literal definition of insanity.
Farmer1906
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Not the same. Bad Correa wasn't much different than Pena.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

if Correa was under contract to be here long term in tht scenario Pena would have been traded for pitching
Ciboag96
Mr President Elect said:

In honor of the last regular season lineup card

The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

Seattle looks like they are starting their regulars. Kudos to Servais.
I've never seen a team try to lose in order to "get" another team. Very few professional athletes get up in the morning thinking, "I"m going to intentionally suck today." Just not in their nature.

Teams tank all the time for draft picks. Spurs have. Others in the NBA have which is why they now do a lottery.
If you ever want to have some real fun on TexAgs, go on the Spurs season thread and make a casual reference to them tanking to get Tim Duncan.
Mr President Elect
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Correa's ops is still 7 pts higher than Pena's this year. Why would there be a "narrative" around that? On the other hand, Diaz's ops is 237pts higher than Maldy's.
Mr.Bond
AG
RIP to Tim Wakefield, far too young. T&P to his family
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Mr President Elect said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Correa's ops is still 7 pts higher than Pena's this year. Why would there be a "narrative" around that? On the other hand, Diaz's ops is 237pts higher than Maldy's.
Because Pena's WAR is 3.7 and Correa's is 1.8...see? I can pick a stat to fit my narrative too!
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Mr.Bond said:

RIP to Tim Wakefield, far too young. T&P to his family
No way he passed already? I heard that his cancer was leaked by Schilling this week, but had no idea he was in his last days.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Saw Wakefield pitch a couple of times with the Pirates v. the Astros. That knuckleball was absolutely fascinating to watch.

Stupid ass Schilling. Someone needs to punch him in the face on live TV.

Varitek's wife summed it up.

Mr President Elect
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Mr President Elect said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Because Pena's WAR is 3.7 and Correa's is 1.8...see? I can pick a stat to fit my narrative too!
You did that already when you used batting average as the stat knowing most on this board weren't even alive the last time Pena hit a HR. OPS isn't "picking" a stat. It is how you deliniate Yordan from Dubon
tjack16
AG
Schilling just gets worse and worse every year but yeah that was an all time low
BTKAG97
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Why would that be unpopular? He can be a team leader AND not play almost every damn day.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Mr President Elect said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Mr President Elect said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

You did that already when you used batting average as the stat knowing most on this board weren't even alive the last time Pena hit a HR. OPS isn't "picking" a stat. It is how you deliniate Yordan from Dubon
HR? Heck if Maldy had Correa's ABs, he would have way more than him this year...almost game time, done with this dead horse
Mr President Elect
AG
BTKAG97 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Why would that be unpopular? He can be a team leader AND not play almost every damn day.
I think we need to hold a funeral for his glove and he can play the Beltran leadership role from here on out.
tjack16
AG

"I'm not even sure if he wants this shared"… Schilling then proceeds to share it.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Mr President Elect said:

BTKAG97 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

I think we need to hold a funeral for his glove and he can play the Beltran leadership role from here on out.
Only if he has a better way of illegally stealing signs
Ag_07
AG
Wow...And then uses his faith as an excuse for why he's doing it.

What a POS
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

Wow...And then uses his faith as an excuse for why he's doing it.

What a POS
Curt Schilling for Jason Grimsley is one of the franchise's worst all-time trades, but kinda happy he was only briefly an Astro at this point.
1836er
AG
BTKAG97 said:

AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Willy Wonka said:

Even if he does play catcher most of the time that doesn't mean Yanier can t be DH.
W
AG
Altuve singles
jetch17
AG
1st pitch single
W
AG
Bregman out of the park!
spadilly
S
BREGMAN WILL NOT HAVE YOUR SLANDER ANY LONGER
jetch17
AG
2nd pitch BREGGY BOMB
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Good start
RED AG 98
AG
WOW. 2 pitches, 2 runs.
Post removed:
by user
stoneca
LFG!!
First Page Last Page
Page 2621 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.