***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,954 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

agproducer said:

It would be delicious if the Astros went 5-1 and the Rangers won 1 of 3 against the Angels and split with the Mariners. They've been .500 on the road.

That's why salvaging yesterday would have been so great. 1.5 back is so much easier than 2.5 games

We'd basically need the rangers to finish 2-5. Right now their offense is hot and the Angels are without Trout/Ohtani

If we go 5-1 and the Rangers go 3-4, we will be tied at 90 wins and have tiebreaker. The 2-5 fits your 4-2 scenario. I'll take either!
Ag_07
AG
This team isn't winning the division. It's now come down to just holding on to the final WC spot. They aren't moving up.

You're in BIG trouble if your hopes hinge on the Angels winning anything.

This team had their destiny in their own hands and they choked. They're now in survival mode.
wangus12
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Still optimistic - I just can't wrap my head around that there's a possibility Altuve, Bregs, JV, Peña, Yordan etc would be sitting home in October watching Correa in the playoffs. That can't be a thing.
Maybe if they were playing better, at home, against the worst teams in the MLB, they wouldn't be in the spot they are now, regardless of dip**** Dusty.
McInnis 03
AG
Hard to be optimistic in baseball when you're doing what they've done recently. Normally I'd say "water finds its level" and expect to get nice results here moving forward, but with the pressure on I figure they'll be swinging for the fences and squeezing a bit too hard. Golf and Baseball are terrible for "trying too hard".

I hate that it's going this way but I just don't see them on a 5 out of 6 game win setup here. I think they'll be lucky to get 4 of 6.
Bag
AG
assuming we even make it in, playing the rangers in the division series would be absolutely epic
W
AG
sliders will be an enormous problem for a team full of right-handed hitters that are pressing at the plate
Farmer1906
AG
Its baseball. You're as hot as your next starting pitcher. If JV comes out throwing BBs we'll feel good about the WC. If Framber continues it and the Rangers drop a game, then we'll get some hope again. Will it happen? Odds say probably not, but the odds just told us we'd win the division because we played a bunch of bad teams.

Let it play out. We might have to make a 2020 type run, but those count too.
W
AG
with 6 games left...

Abreu sits at -0.3 WAR

he posted .645 OPS at MMP this year

only hit 6 home runs -- the Crawfords were not his friend
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Its baseball. You're as hot as your next starting pitcher. If JV comes out throwing BBs we'll feel good about the WC. If Framber continues it and the Rangers drop a game, then we'll get some hope again. Will it happen? Odds say probably not, but the odds just told us we'd win the division because we played a bunch of bad teams.

Yep. 2020 is basically the only path left for this team, but it's still a path. We haven't done much to warrant being alive right now, but that's on our opponents for not putting us away.

Based on what we saw in the each regular season, the 2020 had even less business making a run than this one. But they backed into a playoff spot, won a couple of close fought games in Minn and found some mojo.

If we have the 6 seed this year, our outlook is eerily similar. First Minnesota. Then the division rival that desperately wants to take us down. Then the up and comer from the AL East.

First things first though, let's sweep these Seattle b**** this weekend. I'm not betting on it, but I'd love to see it.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So much this. We aren't dead yet. Winning the division isn't likely, but there's a path to it. The Angels may want to play spoiler, especially with all the young guys they have playing.
cc10106
record versus AL Central = 14-17

Farmer1906
AG
cc10106
I wish we had someone like Rudy T. in the locker room right now.
tjack16
AG
So now sitting at 85-71 .. yikes

To win the division we need the rangers to either go…
5-2 or better (nothing we can do)
4-3 (we'd have to go 6-0)
3-4 (we'd have to go 5-1)
2-5 (we'd have to go 4-2)

To go wild card just go 4-2 and beat Seattle 2/3
Deluxe
AG
I feel like Billy Haywood would be the perfect manager for this team right now.

Remind the guys that baseball is fun. Run some trick plays. He wasn't afraid to make the tough decision and cut Jerry Jackson.
FrioAg 00
AG
I think the Rangers will go 3-4 : it's not like any of the division contenders are playing well at all.

I have a hard time seeing us go 5-1 though.

Bag
AG
at this point would have to bet on at best 3-3
agproducer
AG
cc10106 said:

record versus AL Central = 14-17

This is the worst stat of all: Losing games to the Royals, Tigers and White Sox.

At least the Twins and Indians are somewhat respectable.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs
AG
The time to play like champions is now. Altuve, Bregman, Tuck, JV, Yordan, Framber - lead the way.
CFTXAG10
AG
Gonna learn a lot tonight
Sex Panther
AG
W said:

with 6 games left...

Abreu sits at -0.3 WAR

he posted .645 OPS at MMP this year

only hit 6 home runs -- the Crawfords were not his friend

At least we didn't continually bat him 4 or 5 all year despite this information
BadAggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

We'll see how much any of these guys care about winning. Based on the last couple of weeks I think we know the answer, but we'll see tonight.
FrioAg 00
AG
I feel like we already learned that, unfortunately, over the last weekend
Boiling Denim
Tonight will be a reminder that even caring a lot about something may not mean squat when facing a Cy Young candidate

The caring a lot and beating inferior competition boat has sailed. Now it's time to execute
tjack16
AG
Seattle is just as cold as we are. 10-14 in their last 24

So that bodes well for us
BadAggie
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Tonight will be a reminder that even caring a lot about something may not mean squat when facing a Cy Young candidate

The caring a lot and beating inferior competition boat has sailed. Now it's time to execute

Some parts of the order have previously executed well against that candidate.

Again, we'll see if they care enough to execute, whatever semantics you want to use, tonight.
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

We'll see how much any of these guys care about winning. Based on the last couple of weeks I think we know the answer, but we'll see tonight.

Biggest problem is that we pretty much know we are slightly handcuffed going into tonight. Because we know what's going to be on that lineup card when it comes out.
My prediction:
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan DH
Tuck RF
Abreu 1B
Chas LF
Dubon CF
Pena SS
Maldy C
Class of 2010
BadAggie
AG
tjack16 said:

The race to the bottom continues tonight for the AL West. The playoffs are a different animal as we know but nobody's looking good.

mAgnoliAg
AG
Dusty says Yordan can play left now which would make me think Diaz is DHing but that would mean dusty would have to bench chas
BadAggie
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Dusty says Yordan can play left now which would make me think Diaz is DHing but that would mean dusty would have to bench chas

Yep, playing Maldy for whatever reason causes issues elsewhere in addition to his offensive and defensive deficiencies.

CoachAg19
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Either decision is wrong, and that's the problem. Having one of your top 5 hitters, which Chas and Diaz both are, on the bench when you're fighting for your postseason life...in favor of one of the statistically worse players in all of MLB, is just flat out ridiculous.
Class of 2010
Ciboag96
BadAggie said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Yep, playing Maldy for whatever reason causes issues elsewhere in addition to his offensive and defensive deficiencies.

Yep, gotta have the guy who can't bat, can't frame, can't throw people out and who's win/loss numbers look terrible.
BadAggie
AG
CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Biggest problem is that we pretty much know we are slightly handcuffed going into tonight. Because we know what's going to be on that lineup card when it comes out.
My prediction:
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan DH
Tuck RF
Abreu 1B
Chas LF
Dubon CF
Pena SS
Maldy C

For certain JV is going to have his "personal catcher" out there.

tjack16
AG
BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

The race to the bottom continues tonight for the AL West. The playoffs are a different animal as we know but nobody's looking good.

Yeah I'm just tired of the Astros broadcasters always using the "Astros ran into a hot team" excuse. So that excuse is invalid this series because both of us just got swept
First Page Last Page
Page 2461 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.