***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,418 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AggieJ2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Basically feels like the Astros now have to win 3 straight 3-game playoff series on the road just to get to the point we would have been at had we just split the games with the As and Royals. Un-freaking-real
BadAggie
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

Basically feels like the Astros now have to win 3 straight 3-game playoff series on the road just to get to the point we would have been at had we just split the games with the As and Royals. Un-freaking-real

Yep. Could still somehow get into the postseason this week regardless.

Regardless of Dusty, you'd think enough players would've shown up the last couple of weeks. I can see the fatigue excuse maybe a little, but the performance has just been pathetic.

BadAggie
AG
CoachAg19 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Dusty says Yordan can play left now which would make me think Diaz is DHing but that would mean dusty would have to bench chas
Either decision is wrong, and that's the problem. Having one of your top 5 hitters, which Chas and Diaz both are, on the bench when you're fighting for your postseason life...in favor of one of the statistically worse players in all of MLB, is just flat out ridiculous.

Hey JV, Javier, and Framber: Diaz is going to catch you.

That's what you would expect from a functional manager and organization.

A lot of the angst directed at Dusty needs to include Crane. This problem exists because of him.
redline248
AG
I wish a reporter would ask Dusty if he's considered putting Diaz "in there to straighten out" JV and Framber.
BadAggie
AG
Lineup tonight should include Diaz, Chas, and Uncle Mike if he says he's good. That two of those guys will likely be on the bench is the problem with this team this year in a nutshell.
Beerosch
AG
CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Gonna learn a lot tonight

We'll see how much any of these guys care about winning. Based on the last couple of weeks I think we know the answer, but we'll see tonight.

Biggest problem is that we pretty much know we are slightly handcuffed going into tonight. Because we know what's going to be on that lineup card when it comes out.
My prediction:
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan DH
Tuck RF
Abreu 1B
Chas LF
Dubon CF
Pena SS
Maldy C
I'm calling it now...Diaz will catch Verlander tonight. However, everything being done now is pretty much too little too late.
BadAggie
AG
Even if JV has a good start you gotta expect he gives up a couple runs tonight. Rodriguez and Teoscar have hit him previously.

Really need Yordan and Tucker to show up
BadAggie
AG
Yeah maybe Dusty hits panic mode tonight. It's a possibility. I can still see the 'whatever makes JV comfortable so I can get the best start out of him and offensive production doesn't matter' mindset. I mean we've seen that all season with Framber and Javier
Mathguy64
AG
Diaz catching JV would be the biggest FU in a season of FUs by Dusty.
Bag
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Diaz catching JV would be the biggest FU in a season of FUs by Dusty.

Too little too late
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

Yeah maybe Dusty hits panic mode tonight. It's a possibility. I can still see the 'whatever makes JV comfortable so I can get the best start out of him and offensive production doesn't matter' mindset. I mean we've seen that all season with Framber and Javier

I really hope y'all are right and Diaz is in at C. It doesn't make any sense at all to (potentially) head into the postseason and your CLEARLY best guy at C hasn't caught your best pitchers all season long.
Class of 2010
AggieJ2002
AG
I hope you guys are right, but I feel that Dusty is way to stubborn to admit he's been wrong all this time
BadAggie
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

I hope you guys are right, but I feel that Dusty is way to stubborn to admit he's been wrong all this time

Dusty is thinking he has his horse out there and he's gonna win 2-1.

I'm thinking we see JV give up at least 3. Hope to be wrong
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

Seattle is just as cold as we are. 10-14 in their last 24

So that bodes well for us

The race to the bottom continues tonight for the AL West. The playoffs are a different animal as we know but nobody's looking good.

Yeah I'm just tired of the Astros broadcasters always using the "Astros ran into a hot team" excuse. So that excuse is invalid this series because both of us just got swept
I liked that recently I heard them say "they faced a hot team and unfortunately the Royals used the Astros to get hot"
Accurate take in my opinion.
Ag_07
AG
A buddy said 'Yeah well the Royals are the hottest team in baseball over the last month' with which I responded to 'Yeah because they've played 2 series with us'.
tjack16
AG
Keys to tonight are simple

1. Need good JV. 6 innings 2 runs or less
2. Timely hitting.
3. Bullpen keeps up their hot streak

If two of those things happen, we have a really good chance tonight
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BadAggie
AG
bearkatag15 said:

That alone is why Dusty needs to be run out on a rail but also why some of these rumored extensions need to be put on ice imo.

Same talent went 55-26 at home last season.

This is a total organization accomplishment. But first can't blame the manager entirely for what also is a player performance issue.

Deluxe
AG
I've been pretty vocal on here that Maldy will be catching JV no matter what for the remainder of the 2023 season. But if there was ever a time that could change, it's tonight.

The change would have to be driven from the top. We've given the JV/Maldy battery plenty of time to find their 2022 rhythm and magic. It just hasn't happened. If we can't count on JV for 6-7 innings of 1-2 run ball with Maldy behind the dish, then we need our bats in there.

I think it's a much more difficult conversation than it seems. Telling one of the top 25 pitchers of all time and one of the most competitive players ever to play the game that the guy he loves going to battle with is being benched in favor of the rook is not easy. But if there was ever a time he might be receptive, it's now.

Dusty sure AF isn't going to initiate the change, so it has to come from the top. Dana (maybe with Crane by his side) need to sit down with Maldy, JV, Dusty and Diaz and talk it through.

I'd still bet that Maldy will be catching JV tonight and into the playoffs (if we make it), but I'm now willing to cede a small possibility that we see a change.
RED AG 98
AG
Woooooooooooof

Quote:

Home and road splits notwithstanding, other problems are easy to pinpoint. Fundamental baseball has eluded a team once renowned for it. Both the Baltimore Orioles and Kansas City exposed the pitching staff's total inability to hold baserunners, stealing seven bases on nine attempts across six games. Houston has allowed 54 stolen bases in 63 second-half attempts.
Source: the latest from Chandler
BadAggie
AG
The players have performed well on the road, 17 games over .500, 3rd best road record in MLB

tjack16
AG
If we are being honest… both Maldy and Diaz aren't going to be elite behind the plate this year. I know there's probably advances stats that show Diaz is better but the eye test recently says they are both average defensively.

So to me it just comes down to who hits better. And Diaz bats 100 points higher and doubles Maldonado in the extra base hits/home runs categories

So Diaz should start 4/5 games and DH/1B the other game
Mr.Bond
AG
Been saying for a while...... we just need to boo the **** out of our guys at home.......Win
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

scrimp
AG
CoachAg19 said:

Biggest problem is that we pretty much know we are slightly handcuffed going into tonight. Because we know what's going to be on that lineup card when it comes out.
My prediction:
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan DH
Tuck RF
Abreu 1B
Chas LF
Dubon CF
Pena SS
Maldy C
Last 10 games for each and compared to the individual's numbers for the whole season

Altuve 2B --about normal-- .310 BA, .872 OPS
Bregs 3B --cold as ice-- .147 BA, .693 OPS
Yordan DH--about normal-- .257 BA, 1.024 OPS
Tuck RF--cold -- .184 BA, .762 OPS
Abreu 1B--worse avg, better pop-- .211 BA, .779 OPS
Chas LF--slightly down-- .265 BA, .813 OPS
Dubon CF--hot-- .370 BA, .952 OPS
Pena SS--cold-- .229 BA .565 OPS
Maldy C--typical Maldy-- .200 BA, .627 OPS

Not arguing that this will/won't be the lineup. But it will be tough to win with this order if Bregman, Tucker, and Pena don't break out of their funks. There is no stretch of the lineup that is scary to the opposing pitcher right now.
cc10106
They managed to get 3 million attendance this year for the first time since I dunno when despite raising prices again and fielding a mediocre product so props for that I guess. I know I went to less home games than normal this season and will continue to do so as long as things stay the same.
RED AG 98
AG
Maldy: 110 starts, 12 CS in 91 total attempts (14.3% CS%)
Diaz: 42 starts at C, 15 CS in 50 total attempts (30.0% CS%)

Not looking framing, calling the game, scouting or other aspects but these not remotely in the same league.
bearkatag15
AG
scrimp said:

I'd argue this is extremely hot for Maldy
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
RED AG 98
AG
That's 50 points above his season average so yeah . Though I am surprised his splits vs LHP is actually a very respectable .816! Couldn't believe it when I read that. Dude is up to a blistering .258 OBP on the season.
HarryRocket
To best describe Dusty this season, Quote from Jeff Luhnow (2022) "Complacency and arrogance are the two quickest paths to decline. A sense of urgency is always needed! No matter the sport or the business!"

-stolen from Twitter

It's perfect.
scrimp
AG
bearkatag15 said:

scrimp said:

I'd argue this is extremely hot for Maldy
Compared to his season .189 BA and .601 OPS, I guess you could say this is hot for Maldy. Maybe not as pathetic is more apt.
Ag_07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Been saying for a while...... we just need to boo the **** out of our guys at home.......Win

At this point...With the product they've put on the field at home they've earned it.

Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

To best describe Dusty this season, Quote from Jeff Luhnow (2022) "Complacency and arrogance are the two quickest paths to decline. A sense of urgency is always needed! No matter the sport or the business!"

-stolen from Twitter

It's perfect.
Here is how you play with a sense of urgency.

Diaz catches.

Move Chas up to 4th and Diaz 6th.

You let JV know if he gets into trouble early, he's not going to be given time to fix it. Stanek & Maton will get the middle innings. Burn the bullpen down if it means we win today.

Call up Blanco, Dubin, or Bielak tomorrow if we need long relief.

Don't be afraid to pinch run for Abreu if he gets on in the middle innings if it makes sense. Singleton doesn't look to be a downgrade.
n_touch
HarryRocket said:

-stolen from Twitter

It's perfect.

He saw it coming
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

HarryRocket said:

-stolen from Twitter

It's perfect.
Here is how you play with a sense of urgency.

Diaz catches.

Move Chas up to 4th and Diaz 6th.

You let JV know if he gets into trouble early, he's not going to be given time to fix it. Stanek & Maton will get the middle innings. Burn the bullpen down if it means we win today.

Call up Blanco, Dubin, or Bielak tomorrow if we need long relief.

Don't be afraid to pinch run for Abreu if he gets on in the middle innings if it makes sense. Singleton doesn't look to be a downgrade.
Agree with all of this. Gotta move Abreu down to 7 or 8, and move Diaz and Chas up. Hell, just play Diaz!

These last games need to be treated like postseason must wins. Well, because they actually are now.
Beau Holder
AG
My little personal dose of hopium for the day is that if the Golden Era Astros are still in there somewhere, it would be very on-brand for them to come knock the M's out of the playoffs at home after they've dominated us all year and seem to finally be over the hump.

But then again, Dusty Baker already got carried to the ring he needed and surely knows he won't be back, so he doesn't really have any motivation to put winning ahead of trying to prove he's right to the bitter end.
First Page Last Page
Page 2462 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.