***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,780 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that's only because the playoffs have been expanded to 6 teams
Deluxe
AG
W said:

that's only because the playoffs have been expanded to 6 teams

Same rules as last year
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Zero problem signing Abreu, just didn't work out. We were all mostly excited about that. I do think 2 years was better than a 3 year deal though. That was my one issue with it.

The Montero signing was questionable because he only had 1 good season really and making him the highest paid non closer reliever was bad.

In hindsight it's easy to be mad at Bagwell but unless you were mad at both of those signings in February, you really can't say much.
Front offices are graded on results. The result of signing Brantley, Montero, & Abreu = -0.8 fWAR / -0.7 bWAR. They should know better(more) than what the fans think. Crane, Bagwell, whoever failed miserably last offseason.

And we're going to see it linger since we are on the hook for Abreu and Montero two more seasons. Maybe it won't be as bad next year, but I think its highly unlikely they provide value equally their pay next year or the yar after.
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll also add that the organization is confident that Abreu will be a .800+ OPS guy after an off-season of rehab on his back.

Again, it was a problem since spring training. Why did they wait so long to shut him down for a while? I have no idea.

I'm frustrated with Abreu at the moment, as are most fans. But, I'm also confident that he can regain his form. This year? Likely not. He can make more of an impact and change his approach to ABs if we would move him down in the order.
Class of 2010
Farmer1906
AG
CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'll also add that the organization is confident that Abreu will be a .800+ OPS guy after an off-season of rehab on his back.

Again, it was a problem since spring training. Why did they wait so long to shut him down for a while? I have no idea.

I'm frustrated with Abreu at the moment, as are most fans. But, I'm also confident that he can regain his form. This year? Likely not. He can make more of an impact and change his approach to ABs if we would move him down in the order.
A 37 year old with back problems turning it around to a top 20 MVP type again? Highly unlikely in my book. I think slightly above league average is the best we could reasonable hope for.
Mathguy64
AG
That 37 is subject to debate I think.

And I agree. While his back may be better whatever his age is he will be a year older and slower. Next year you hopes he's an wRC+ 100 level player.
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

A 37 year old with back problems turning it around to a top 20 MVP type again? Highly unlikely in my book. I think slightly above league average is the best we could reasonable hope for.

Slightly above league average would be a godsend right now. We'd have 3 more wins.
CoachAg19
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of it depends on what the real issue is with his back. Is this a lingering thing from his days in Chicago? Or is it something that popped up in ST with the Astros?

I wasn't trying to imply that he'd return to his 2020 MVP form, as I don't think that's realistic. But I'll gladly take the 2022 version of Abreu, which I do think is attainable for him if he can get healthy.
Class of 2010
Boiling Denim
texasaggie2015 said:

Even worse why hasn't he been dropped in the lineup if everyone knew he was hurt, clearly wasn't producing and the org doesn't think he'll get back to producing for what we're paying him until a full offseason of rehab?

This is the vet nepotism that has plagued Dusty's career for 20+ years. We weren't immune
MaxPower
The best we can hope for is to dump him without eating too much salary. He's toast.
Dies Irae
MaxPower said:

The best we can hope for is to dump him without eating too much salary. He's toast.

Zero way anyone takes him right now. I doubt we could find anyone who would be willing to take 3,000,000/year for him. We'd have to give up a lot
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Hornbeck said:

Ags #1 said:

Lol!!!! What is wrong with dana???0

He should have traded Maldy when Dusty kept playing him over Diaz. Trade him for a draft pick, cokes for the Coke machine, something. Billy Beane did that to Art Howe. Manager being dumb? You're the GM, make moves.

This is all water under the bridge. When the Astros who are 3-8 the last 11 games don't make the playoffs, the blame is on Dusty, and a large chunk of blame also goes to Bagwell, the Abreu move was a $58.5M mistake. Own it. Cut Abreu, find another solution for 1B, again you're the GM…

Take this with a grain of salt, my hot take after the Aggie game and Astros game, and a few adult beverages.

In all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

1. Every single person on this thread was excited about the Abreu signing. Nobody predicted he would get hurt. It happens.

2. People need to stop blaming Jeff Bagwell. I see it here and on Twitter. He was an advisor. That's it. He had no final say on any decision and most of the moves were already discussed before Click left.

3. Trading for a draft pick?? What????? That's not a thing in baseball.

None of this falls on Brown. He was brought in late in the off-season and put in a bad situation.

This season was an astronomical failure and the blame should go to three people. Crane for mismanaging the GM situation and keeping Dusty around. Dusty for being stubborn and attempting to prove he's right to the point where it will potentially cost the Astros a playoff berth. And ultimately the players.
Dies Irae
I'd love to imagine what we would look like now with Hinch and Luhnow still at the helm
tjack16
AG
If somebody can give me an argument as to why Maldonado should start more than Diaz without saying "the pitchers like him" then I'd love to hear it.

That's the only argument people cling to.
Boiling Denim

I've seen a few get all haughty at those questioning this team's motivations this season. Straight from Chas these guys don't want it. The "will to power" has been fleeting this season and is not a singular focus for this team anymore.

Family, health, big money, H-E-B commercials, chicken joints. There's a lot more driving these guys now than a hunk of metal
tjack16
AG
Boiling Denim said:

I've seen a few get all haughty at those questioning this team's motivations this season. Straight from Chas these guys don't want it. The "will to power" has been fleeting this season and is not a singular focus for this team anymore.

Family, health, big money, H-E-B commercials, chicken joints. There's a lot more driving these guys now than a hunk of metal

Well I'm glad Chas finally vocalized what we have been saying…. However you could argue he's the one guy this series who has played well enough to will us to win. 2 homerun and 4 RBI.

He is the one guy right now you can't blame at all.
AgLA06
AG
Boiling Denim said:

You're seeing what you want in that quote.
Sex Panther
AG
Boiling Denim said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Even worse why hasn't he been dropped in the lineup if everyone knew he was hurt, clearly wasn't producing and the org doesn't think he'll get back to producing for what we're paying him until a full offseason of rehab?

This is the vet nepotism that has plagued Dusty's career for 20+ years. We weren't immune

This is where I think the frustration comes in. We all mostly liked the signing. But it was very quickly apparent that something was off. So either Abreu hid an injury or the staff failed to recognize it and do something... Both are bad and inexcusable.

I don't know how they could fail in this regard since anyone could watch the guy swing for three months and tell there was something wrong... the fact they kept trotting him out in the 4-hole for automatic outs and rally kills, is again - inexcusable in my humble, fan opinion. Then add in the fact that the team/Dusty either failed to recognize what they had in Diaz and to an extent Chas, and it's hard to have any faith in the people who are running things.

And like others have said, I don't think "37-year-old" Abreu is going to find the fountain of youth
cc10106
The new HEB Astros commercial sucks and needs to be retired. Too much Jeremy Pena outside of games on my TV lately.
Project Gemini
AG
HEB commercials have been running during our successful years, leave them out of it. If you want to point fingers about why the team doesn't want it, lets just roll with the fact that they are managed like ass.
Dies Irae
cc10106 said:

The new HEB Astros commercial sucks and needs to be retired. Too much Jeremy Pena outside of games on my TV lately.

Always great to see McCullers clowning while collecting his $1.4 million bucks a month to lounge on the IL
tjack16
AG
Dies Irae said:

cc10106 said:

Always great to see McCullers clowning while collecting his $1.4 million bucks a month to lounge on the IL

I always get irritated on the Astros bases loaded promos (which they never seen to change) when they talk about him and his new coffee.
cc10106
Dies Irae said:

cc10106 said:

Hey he's been busy giving back and starting a coffee shop at the place he used to play baseball.
Dies Irae
Philanthropy is best done when earning $17,000,000 a year to hold your forearm, grimace and shake your head
Mathguy64
AG
I would take a team of LMJ players. I get the real one is injured. That's not his fault. I would clone his desire and want to play and infect the rest of the team with it all day long.
Blackbeard94
AG
Luxury Lance…..
Dies Irae
Mathguy64 said:

I would take a team of LMJ players. I get the real one is injured. That's not his fault. I would clone his desire and want to play and infect the rest of the team with it all day long.

Really? I don't see it. He seems like he's more of a pretty-boy Hollywood type. Either that or he's made of porcelain.

He's the only one I've seen Altuve yell at when he showed up his teammates when they made an error when he was pitching
tjack16
AG
I love Lance, I think he's a good leader in the clubhouse and he's always been one of my favorites.

But sometimes the best ability is availability. I'd argue he's spent more time on the IL than healthy since the 2017 World Series

I will say in 2021 he was the ace we all thought he could be, and it's a shame he wasn't able to finish out that postseason because we needed him against Atlanta
Farmer1906
AG
Boiling Denim said:

I could agree with this but this year 7. A lot of these things aren't new.
Farmer1906
AG
Dies Irae said:

Philanthropy is best done when earning $17,000,000 a year to hold your forearm, grimace and shake your head

Yeah. **** that guy. How dare his body break down. Self *******.
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

Dies Irae said:

Yeah. **** that guy. How dare his body break down. Self *******.

That's a bit harsh
Ag_07
AG
Been on vacation since Thurs and haven't been able to keep up.

What'd I miss?
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

What'd I miss?

We're mathematically removed from the playoffs through 2032
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

What'd I miss?

We finally flipped the switch and took care of business. Max johnson saved us, Durkin had a good scheme

Oh you meant the Astros? Yeahhhh…. Yikes
Dies Irae
Ag_07 said:

What'd I miss?

Javier Brocamonte has been named Verlander's new personal CF.
First Page Last Page
Page 2448 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.