***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,996 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wheels have fallen off at this point.

Maybe they use this as an opportunity to get rid of Dusty and hire a real GM.
Ags #1
AG
Lol!!!! What is wrong with dana???0
Marvin
AG
Hornbeck said:

The wheels have fallen off at this point.

Maybe they use this as an opportunity to get rid of Dusty and hire a real GM.

Crane tied Dana's hands regarding Dusty this year. Nothing that fossil has done diminishes Dana's work in any way. That's 100% on Crane for still wanting to be the good guy and restore the Astros reputation. It's the entire reason he brought Mr. Potato Head back this year.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
BadAggie
AG

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Hornbeck
AG
Ags #1 said:

He should have traded Maldy when Dusty kept playing him over Diaz. Trade him for a draft pick, cokes for the Coke machine, something. Billy Beane did that to Art Howe. Manager being dumb? You're the GM, make moves.

This is all water under the bridge. When the Astros who are 3-8 the last 11 games don't make the playoffs, the blame is on Dusty, and a large chunk of blame also goes to Bagwell, the Abreu move was a $58.5M mistake. Own it. Cut Abreu, find another solution for 1B, again you're the GM…

Take this with a grain of salt, my hot take after the Aggie game and Astros game, and a few adult beverages.
tjack16
AG
To me this 2 week stretch (mainly last week plus orioles series) is a lack of effort, focus, and now the panic button has been hit so guys this weekend are pressing. Not by all the guys, but the mental errors are stacking up and one bad play turns into 3 runs by the opposition.

Bottom line is this. This 2023 team was going to need top 5 starting pitching and defense this year to repeat. They got that for the first 3 months and then it got wildly inconsistent.
tjack16
AG
I'm still thinking we claim the last wild card spot. I'm assuming we will play much better on the road this week and find a way to beat Seattle 2/3. Also I think the rangers will sweep today and sweep the angels toput the division away.

89-73 finish, last wild card spot.

17 game difference from 2022 with virtually the same roster.
Big Al 1992
AG
Last 10 games Astros needed to go 6-4 at worst, 7-3 would be good. Currently 1-2. Better get hot now and finish 6-1.
Wabs
AG
Bring back Hinch
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

tjack16 said:

If somebody posts that stupid playoff percentage graphic, I'm gonna throw something

Paging Farmer.

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

tjack16 said:

If somebody posts that stupid playoff percentage graphic, I'm gonna throw something

Paging Farmer.

Down 26% in 7 days

That has to be some kind of record

Down 24% since Wednesday
lead
lead said:

Some serious BAS in here. ESPN has us 96% chance making playoffs

9/20:HOU-90%, TEX-74%, TOR-71%, SEA-65%
9/21:HOU-92%, TOR-75%, TEX-73%, SEA-60%
9/22: HOU-92%, TEX-75%, TOR-73%, SEA-60%
9/23:TOR-90%, HOU-83%, TEX-80%, SEA-47%
9/24: TEX-90%, TOR-90%, HOU-72%, SEA-47%

Sex Panther
AG
Hornbeck said:

Ags #1 said:

He should have traded Maldy when Dusty kept playing him over Diaz. Trade him for a draft pick, cokes for the Coke machine, something. Billy Beane did that to Art Howe. Manager being dumb? You're the GM, make moves.

You can't trade for draft picks in baseball, and there isn't a single team in the MLB who would've traded for Maldonado any way

We're all frustrated, but Dana isn't the problem
Boiling Denim
Sex Panther said:

Hornbeck said:

Ags #1 said:

You can't trade for draft picks in baseball, and there isn't a single team in the MLB who would've traded for Maldonado any way

We're all frustrated, but Dana isn't the problem

Well not yet anyways. But he was hired during the worst offseason in Stros history so people honestly think he'll be the lone bright spot? Unlikely
Deluxe
AG

Smells like the FO is exerting a little influence
Mathguy64
AG
Or Crusty is getting desperate. Either way works for me.

But lineups aside it's still up to the hitters to hit the ball. And by and large they aren't doing that.
Dies Irae
So we pretty much paid Brantley like $200,000 an at bat this year huh?
Dies Irae
Looks like it's north of $250,000/ab
txags92
AG
Deluxe said:

Smells like the FO is exerting a little influence
Still can't bring himself to put Abreu at 8 where he belongs based on his output this season.
W
AG
the Brantley injury saga was another strange part of the 2023 season
f1ghtintexasaggie

/laughcry
W
AG
W said:

or another thing the front office got wrong
W
AG
this is shades of the 2008 financial crisis...

when AIG had an AA+ credit rating...then a week later filed for bankruptcy

(I think it was AIG)

Astros are falling like a rock
tjack16
AG
W said:

W said:

or another thing the front office got wrong

Yeah he played 60 games last year and we ended up being fine. Letting him walk would have been easy to justify
Dies Irae
W said:

I don't want to be a mercenary but….what are we protecting him for? He's a free agent who has been paid 12 million to do nothing. In the nfl he'd be given a cortisone shot and a slap on the ass and told to get his ass on the field
Beau Holder
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

/laughcry

Seven more games until I never have to read another dim witted rambling from this anachronistic joke of a manager in connection with this franchise.
agdaddy04
AG
Alvarez is now healthy enough to play lf? Has Chas ever been DH?
Dies Irae
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

/laughcry

We've got a whole 8 games to figure it out, I'm not worried
texasaggie2015
AG
Hornbeck said:

Ags #1 said:

This is all water under the bridge. When the Astros who are 3-8 the last 11 games don't make the playoffs, the blame is on Dusty, and a large chunk of blame also goes to Bagwell, the Abreu move was a $58.5M mistake. Own it. Cut Abreu, find another solution for 1B, again you're the GM…

Take this with a grain of salt, my hot take after the Aggie game and Astros game, and a few adult beverages.

In all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

1. Every single person on this thread was excited about the Abreu signing. Nobody predicted he would get hurt. It happens.

2. People need to stop blaming Jeff Bagwell. I see it here and on Twitter. He was an advisor. That's it. He had no final say on any decision and most of the moves were already discussed before Click left.

3. Trading for a draft pick?? What????? That's not a thing in baseball.

None of this falls on Brown. He was brought in late in the off-season and put in a bad situation.

This season was an astronomical failure and the blame should go to three people. Crane for mismanaging the GM situation and keeping Dusty around. Dusty for being stubborn and attempting to prove he's right to the point where it will potentially cost the Astros a playoff berth. And ultimately the players.
Dies Irae
I think the Abreu move was actually a good decision, he had a great body of work and would have been great had he performed at a fraction of his career average production. Montero and McCullers were idiotic decisions
Deluxe
AG
It is kinda funny that, even after repeatedly shooting ourselves in the foot in every possible way this year, we control own destiny into the playoffs if we win 5 of our last 7.
tjack16
AG
Zero problem signing Abreu, just didn't work out. We were all mostly excited about that. I do think 2 years was better than a 3 year deal though. That was my one issue with it.

The Montero signing was questionable because he only had 1 good season really and making him the highest paid non closer reliever was bad.

In hindsight it's easy to be mad at Bagwell but unless you were mad at both of those signings in February, you really can't say much.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

It is kinda funny that, even after repeatedly shooting ourselves in the foot in every possible way this year, we control own destiny into the playoffs if we win 5 of our last 7.
Even fewer if the wins come vs Seattle.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll also add that the organization is confident that Abreu will be a .800+ OPS guy after an off-season of rehab on his back.

Again, it was a problem since spring training. Why did they wait so long to shut him down for a while? I have no idea.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Even fewer if the wins come vs Seattle.

I think 4-3 while winning the Seattle series would do it.

But to win the division we'd have to go like 6-1 with Seattle beating the Rangers 3/4 to end the season.
First Page Last Page
Page 2447 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.