***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,503,240 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What time does Dusty's weakass lineup come up for tonight's game?
Big Al 1992
AG
Trying to remain calm - said w 10 games left just needed to go 7-3/6-4 at worst. We're 1-1 now, go win today.
tjack16
AG
Just win the next 2, take 1/3 from Seattle and win 2/3 in Arizona. That'll get us into the wild card.

5-3 finish to go 90-72 and hope Seattle and Texas go 4-3 in that series
Prosperdick
AG
I know it will never happen but would love for Maldy to have the self awareness to go to Dusty and say "Skip, I love this team too much to continue to be the primary catcher. Diaz is playing better than me and I'm wise enough to see it. I hope to coach this team one day and I would hope my pitchers respected me enough to pitch to the younger guy when it was obviously warranted."

But alas, like almost all professional athletes they are too ego driven to see their own flaws.
Ciboag96
Prosperdick said:

I know it will never happen but would love for Maldy to have the self awareness to go to Dusty and say "Skip, I love this team too much to continue to be the primary catcher. Diaz is playing better than me and I'm wise enough to see it. I hope to coach this team one day and I would hope my pitchers respected me enough to pitch to the younger guy when it was obviously warranted."

But alas, like almost all professional athletes they are too ego driven to see their own flaws.

Maldy looking into the dugout a couple games ago for Diaz to pinch hit (alas but Donkey was too busy toothpickin') is as much of a giant white flag as you'll see in the sport. And it's a giant white flag.
mwm
I fear there is too much "I" and not enough "team". And Who's to say Dusty would actually listen?
Ags #1
AG
This is pretty big deal as it takes diaz being able to dh out of the lineup
BadAggie
AG
Satellite of Love said:

After Golden Girls but before The Wheel
tjack16
AG
Ags #1 said:

This is pretty big deal as it takes diaz being able to dh out of the lineup

If only Diaz knew how to play a defensive position or two…
Prosperdick
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Prosperdick said:

Maldy looking into the dugout a couple games ago for Diaz to pinch hit (alas but Donkey was too busy toothpickin') is as much of a giant white flag as you'll see in the sport. And it's a giant white flag.
Part of that is Dusty's age and his attention drifts...which begs the question, where is Espada or any other assistant coaches to tap him on the shoulder and say "Skip, do we want to pinch hit Diaz here?" I have a feeling Dusty doesn't like to be bothered in game and has probably barked at them when they tried to intervene. Who knows.

Bottom line we have an old manager who can't manage (if he ever really could) and a 39 year old catcher who can no longer catch. It's one of the most physically and mentally demanding positions in the sport and will be the primary reason we either miss the playoffs or exit early.

At least both will be gone next season or Maldy as an assistant coach, which is perfectly fine as I think he could excel in that role.
Eso si, Que es
I have bashed on Dusty all year and 100% agree it is warranted and should continue

Also, there is no reason that our 1-7 hole hitters aren't beating the A's and KC by themselves (if you concede the 8 and 9 hole AB's)

Just uninspired play
BayAg_14
I can't find 6 wins on the schedule. Better hope we get some help.

Mathguy64
AG
It's not uninspired. It looks like a combination of trying too hard/pressing and at the same time being mentally exhausted.

Add to it the horrific lineup. You have a 2 hole hitter with no power and who is susceptible to a swing and miss. You have a clean up hitter who would be willing to walk but as a cleanup hitter you want him hitting. He's trying and putting the ball in play and just producing outs. Tucker had no protection in Abreu behind him. And the lineup is good hitter followed by bad hitter all the way down. So a good pitcher can pitch around one hitter. Dusty makes a lineup based on 1970 thinking for a 2020 game.
txags92
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

I have bashed on Dusty all year and 100% agree it is warranted and should continue

Also, there is no reason that our 1-7 hole hitters aren't beating the A's and KC by themselves (if you concede the 8 and 9 hole AB's)

Just uninspired play
When you stick guys that aren't a credible threat to hit better than 250 into the middle of our best hitters, you give pitchers an out. They can throw our guys nothing good to swing at, knowing that even if they walk them, they have an easy out or double play machine like Peña, Abreu, or Maldy to bail them out. Our guys know that too and end up swinging at pitches they shouldn't because they know it may be the best pitch they see that AB.
gambochaman
AG
txags92 said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Just uninspired play
When you stick guys that aren't a credible threat to hit better than 250 into the middle of our best hitters, you give pitchers an out. They can throw our guys nothing good to swing at, knowing that even if they walk them, they have an easy out or double play machine like Peña, Abreu, or Maldy to bail them out. Our guys know that too and end up swinging at pitches they shouldn't because they know it may be the best pitch they see that AB.

This 100%….thats why lineup construction matters…splitting tucker and yordan is stupid….having abreu 5th is stupid…being obsessed with LRLR is insane
KTAG05
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Good news is someone has to lose between the Rangers and Mariners at least 6 more times!
agdaddy04
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Do you know how a magic number works??
Dies Irae
BayAg_14 said:

I would agree with you except for the fact that two of our competitors for the spot weren't playing each other
Eso si, Que es
txags92 said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Just uninspired play
I understand but I still would expect:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Bregman
Tucker
Abreu
McCormick

To outperform

Some Rookie
Another Rookie
Sophomore
FNG
Journeyman
AAAA
Rook

Two things are true at the same time, Dusty is an idiot and our guys are crumbling

Mr.Ackar07
BayAg_14 said:

The Astros only need 3 wins if they all come against the Mariners.
Beau Holder
AG
It's amazing how much this team has choked, collapsed, and completely thrown away a fairly golden path. Even if it were to somehow win the ALW at this point, the gap with the Twins for the 3-seed has actually closed to three games. That would be hilarious if they closed it.

The end of the season looked once like it would be entertaining but now it will just be a bewildering, sad pillow fight.
Jackal99
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

BayAg_14 said:

The Astros only need 3 wins if they all come against the Mariners.
Mr President Elect
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Somewhere between 2-3pm CST. I wouldn't be suprised to see a really good lineup today with JP on the mound.
tjack16
AG
If y'all don't hear from me tonight it's cuz I died in Kyle field from a heat stroke.

It's hotter than rally kate out here
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

If y'all don't hear from me tonight it's cuz I died in Kyle field from a heat stroke.

It's hotter than rally kate out here
So you're saying when the Astros need runs we should post pics of Kyle Field?
BadAggie
AG
Astros can't beat Royals, Aggies can't score on a meh defense, what a September
maca1028
If the Ag's and Astros lose today I'm quitting sports…until tomorrow
JYDog90
AG
maca1028 said:

If the Ag's and Astros lose today I'm quitting sports…until tomorrow

Yeah if that happens I may freaking read books until Christmas.
JDUB08AG
AG
So the magic number of 6…if we win 3 more games and either Texas or Seattle lose 3 more games, we secure a wild card?

It just seems more complicated than that but maybe it's that simple? It's weird this year and too pissed at the Ags currently to think straight.
Eso si, Que es
JDUB08AG said:

So the magic number of 6…if we win 3 more games and either Texas or Seattle lose 3 more games, we secure a wild card?

It just seems more complicated than that but maybe it's that simple? It's weird this year and too pissed at the Ags currently to think straight.
The magic number is 6 considering Tx and SEA split their 6 games. Only Tx or Sea losing more than 3 games of the remaining 6 head to head games would affect the magic number.

So sad to have to discuss this instead of relaxing because we already swept the 100 loss teams.
spadilly
S

K Bo
AG
0 with the Astros cleats
All I do is Nguyen
Best we can hope for with out Yordan or uncle Mike in LF.

We got Yordan and Tucker back to back again Bregs in the 2 hole. Let's hope we rake
Chrundle the Great
AG
K Bo said:

0 with the Astros cleats

Mo city represent
Eso si, Que es
No Uncle Mike today but Yordan and Tucker 3/4, Diaz catching. This lineup is good
First Page Last Page
Page 2434 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.