***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,503,253 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just can't believe our season is potentially going to end because we can't beat the A's and Royals.

It just seems unfathomable but that's where we stand.

You are now in a MUST WIN series against a 100 loss team with zero to play for
gambochaman
AG
**** framber and jv getting to decide who catches them

Maybe if they were world beaters every game….but right now they suck…and dusty, instead of being the adult in the room and doing the job he is paid to do, continues to cater to them even though all logic dictates to start diaz all the time

**** dusty and **** crane for putting another year of craptastic management on this team
superaggie73
AG
tjack16 said:

I just can't believe our season is potentially going to end because we can't beat the A's and Royals.

It just seems unfathomable but that's where we stand.

You are now in a MUST WIN series against a 100 loss team with zero to play for

I believe it was '03 win the Breeers swept us at home when all we had to do was win 2 game to make the playoffs. I never would have thought id see a worse manager than Jimy Williams to manage the Astros…I was wrong.
BadAggie
AG
Click got Diaz and Maton for Myles Straw.

Also put together a roster that was so good that not even Dusty could stop it from winning a World Series.

Wasn't good enough for Crane, who thought himself wiser on baseball matters.

Now his team is being run into the ground by one of the worst managerial performances I've seen.

Same players won a championship last season. Lack of talent isn't the excuse.

This team is no longer analytically managed in any shape or form. It's all old time gut decisions and shuffling the lineup an absurd number of times.

Mathguy64
AG
It was a must win tonight and Maldy and Framber got donkey punched in the 1st.

We had to win to keep pace with the other team that won. And we went down without our best hitters and with a crippled lineup that isn't designed to maximize its chances. All because an 80 year old fossil who played in the 70s thinks that way of playing is best.
AggiEE
BadAggie said:

Click got Diaz and Maton for Myles Straw.

Also put together a roster that was so good that not even Dusty could stop it from winning a World Series.

Wasn't good enough for Crane, who thought himself wiser on baseball matters.

Now his team is being run into the ground by one of the worst managerial performances I've seen.

Same players won a championship last season. Lack of talent isn't the excuse.

This team is no longer analytically managed in any shape or form. It's all old time gut decisions and shuffling the lineup an absurd number of times.

Gut decisions

Playing to favorites based on personality or "veteran" status rather than objectively on performance

Managing the team as if it were tee ball where everybody get to play

Deciding to position players in the lineup that (arguably) play to individual strengths rather than what's best for the team

Holding a grudge against the media for calling out his BS lineups and doubling down on them

Never challenging critical questionable calls early in the game because he seemingly wants to save them for later

Probably doesn't play Diaz enough because we got rid of his BFF Straw for him.

Can't think of a more ignorant, arrogant, and destructive manager in Astros history. Last year he wasn't nearly this bad, but I guess he didn't really have as many positional decisions to screw up either.
W
AG
this is an unbelievable collapse

reminds of the old Oilers teams

but at least they got to the playoffs first
W
AG
68 - Rangers
68 - Blue Jays
69 - Astros
69 - Mariners

margin is almost gone
W
AG
agdaddy04 said:

We need the Rangers to sweep the Ms
yep, since the Rangers won game 1...

they need to go ahead and win all three
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

agdaddy04 said:

We need the Rangers to sweep the Ms
yep, since the Rangers won game 1...

they need to go ahead and win all three

Why?
W
AG
wonder if we're finally going to start seeing a big shift on the fangraphs

ESPN still shows the Astros with a 90% chance of making the playoffs
tjack16
AG
5-8 since this game

W
AG
at this point the Astros need one team to dominate the series

the Rangers won game 1 -- let it be them
W
AG
the Astros are 8-11 in September

easily on track to be the worst month of the season
BadAggie
AG
We have the right GM, need to eventually replace some key cogs who will be expensive to retain.

Need a manager and coaches more attuned to analytics and smart baseball. Also frankly need a different attitude. Need a youngish manager ready to make his mark, compete and win.

Dusty has set such a lackadaisical entitled tone, complete with days off and a message that not all games matter.

Crane needs to be more hands off. Surely he's self aware enough to realize there's plenty he doesn't know and should hire the right people to handle.

agdaddy04
AG
Have we used that same lineup since?
agdaddy04
AG
If he's the right GM he better take away Dusty's pen tomorrow
Farmer1906
AG
That's the safer play. Limping into the WC probably doesn't bode well for October. I think we need the division to stand a real chance.
linkdude
AG
Also continuing a trend of squeezing extra outs from starters leading to add on runs. Feels like we must be the worst playoff team wrt inherited runners.
maca1028
Went to a concert tonight and thankfully missed the game. My 2 cents is that Crane really screwed up last offseason. Analytics is what got this team here to where they were, he went away from it and it's likely going to cost a repeat, maybe even missing the playoffs entirely.
Abreu was a bad signing, I know many of us were happy at the time but 3 years for a 38 year old?! Luhnow, Crane, Brown, hell, just about any experienced GM wouldn't make a deal like that.
We need to get back to being the smartest team in baseball this offseason and I'm confident that Dana is the right man for the job.
Also, I was tracking gamecast on my phone, did I see that we had a man on 3rd with no outs and failed to drive him in?
DVC2010
AG
Yep. Leadoff triple for Tucker.
BoxingAg84
John McClain has thrown in the towel.

BadAggie
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

John McClain has thrown in the towel.

Lol F that ccksvcker now is the time to go all in on the Astros.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That's the safer play. Limping into the WC probably doesn't bode well for October. I think we need the division to stand a real chance.

Yeah I think the bye would help a lot but not just that, we are too inconsistent to win 3 straight playoff series to get to the World Series.

I have faith in us to win an ALDS on a week of rest, but not the wild card and ALDS back to back when our pitching doesn't lineup well.
tjack16
AG

Well… actions speak louder than words. They've been talking about it for 2 weeks now and we've yet to see the fight.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
tjack16 said:

Well… actions speak louder than words. They've been talking about it for 2 weeks now and we've yet to see the fight.
Pretty clear where this is heading.

Yeah, you're still the Astros, and yeah, you're still the defending champs, but losing to last place teams in the thick of probably the best pennant chase in recent years is going to leave you sitting on the sidelines watching some other team take the title this year.
Boiling Denim
tjack16
AG

From Dusty's time at the nationals…
astros4545
AG
Incredible
Boiling Denim
So if we've established that Framber can't pitch without Maldy do we entertain trading Framber in the off-season?

Or is there an actual scenario where Maldy comes back to catch Framber…
Satellite of Love
Why would you want Maldy back when he is free runs for the other team?
cc10106
I'm watching the game replay rather than the live broadcast which is typical for me these days, and we couldn't even bring TED home after a leadoff triple in the 4th. That's insane.
Mathguy64
AG
Lose to KC today and they will have 5 of 53 season wins against us. 10% of their season total. And all in the last 2 weeks of the season.
Boiling Denim
I said before thinking we'd get a sweep against these guys with the way both are playing was delusional. A sweep would have given us room for a misstep against Seattle but maybe this is for the better.

Now we need to win the last 3 series and if you can't do that against a hot team in the royals, the Mariners or a playoff team in the Dbacks then we weren't gonna do anything in the playofffs against the likes of the Orioles, Rays, Dodgers or Braves
Dies Irae
Boiling Denim said:

Seriously wtf is up with Yordan? He cannot go two days without hurting his hand in a "freak door opening accident" or tweaking something in his shoulder, or his oblique?
First Page Last Page
Page 2433 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.