***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,504,902 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My hope right now is that we win one playoff series. Don't know if that's the wild card or ALDS.

Anything past that is a bonus

I think it's the Braves vs either the Orioles or Rays in the World Series
Phrasing
AG
Danwell Home said:

AgLA06 said:

cc10106 said:

Just like Dusty basically said on 790 yesterday, they haven't even clicked yet and are still in first place. So just be patient and wait for it to happen. All you can do is be positive and pump sunshine.
That's on him. And he's a fool for saying something like that out loud with his complete lack of self awareness.
He just thinks we are that stupid
With 10 games left I'm not sure we have time to be "patient".
Big Al 1992
AG
Should be hopefully a fun afternoon!

Boiling Denim
If we were losing or winning games 2-1 I could listen to an argument for Moldy to catch but we're averaging 5 runs allowed in September it's clear his intangibles provide no actual benefit

If we have to outscore teams(in high scoring games) moving forward having one of the worst hitters in the league in the lineup is just being intentionally stubborn
texasaggie2015
AG
Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Wellness check on everyone.
I know this is beating a dead horse, but with your comments on the FO being at odds with Dusty. You've said in the past that the FO isn't as upset about Maldy playing over Diaz. Is that still the case? Admittidely, Maldy's numbers the last 30 have been great, somehow. But Diaz's numbers have been elite since June and has an OPS of 1.133 in September. I just don't have faith in our pitching staff and thus needing our optimal lineup to stand any chance in the playoffs once the FO has a say. Do you think there is any chance they sit Maldy for Diaz with Framber or JV on the mound?
They're upset about the lack of at-bats from Diaz more so than lack of time behind the plate.

There's plenty of opportunities for Diaz to get into the lineup without catching. Abreu has had back issues since spring training. It would make a ton of sense for Diaz to be getting starts at first base to relieve Abreu and keep him fresh. He could also DH. Between those two positions and an occasional start behind the plate, there's no reason he shouldn't be playing 6 days a week.

That's what the front office is frustrated with. You can still have a very, very good lineup with Maldy in the 9-hole if that's what you insist on doing. But it seems Dusty just doesn't want to do it.

This whole idea of a "defense first" lineup with JV on the mound probably makes some sense in previous years. But not this year. This isn't the same dominant JV and you'll need to provide more than 3 runs of support.

Now, all that being said, the pitching is toast. Across the board. Framber and Javier are both dealing with fatigue and/or nagging injuries. JV isn't his old self and there's no telling if he's going to figure things out.. and even if he does, how much do we trust playoff JV? Hunter Brown is also way over his career high in innings pitched. JP France has been great for us, but he's ideally not a guy you want to rely on in the postseason to make a big start. Piggy backing might be a solution. But that being said, they might very well decide that they need Yainer behind the plate and roll out the best possible lineup every night in October from an offense standpoint.

All that to say this.. a lot is changing very fast and I don't think anything is set in stone.

The most important thing right now is winning tonight.
RED AG 98
AG
Texaggie7nine
texasaggie2015 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I know this is beating a dead horse, but with your comments on the FO being at odds with Dusty. You've said in the past that the FO isn't as upset about Maldy playing over Diaz. Is that still the case? Admittidely, Maldy's numbers the last 30 have been great, somehow. But Diaz's numbers have been elite since June and has an OPS of 1.133 in September. I just don't have faith in our pitching staff and thus needing our optimal lineup to stand any chance in the playoffs once the FO has a say. Do you think there is any chance they sit Maldy for Diaz with Framber or JV on the mound?
They're upset about the lack of at-bats from Diaz more so than lack of time behind the plate.

There's plenty of opportunities for Diaz to get into the lineup without catching. Abreu has had back issues since spring training. It would make a ton of sense for Diaz to be getting starts at first base to relieve Abreu and keep him fresh. He could also DH. Between those two positions and an occasional start behind the plate, there's no reason he shouldn't be playing 6 days a week.

That's what the front office is frustrated with. You can still have a very, very good lineup with Maldy in the 9-hole if that's what you insist on doing. But it seems Dusty just doesn't want to do it.

This whole idea of a "defense first" lineup with JV on the mound probably makes some sense in previous years. But not this year. This isn't the same dominant JV and you'll need to provide more than 3 runs of support.

Now, all that being said, the pitching is toast. Across the board. Framber and Javier are both dealing with fatigue and/or nagging injuries. JV isn't his old self and there's no telling if he's going to figure things out.. and even if he does, how much do we trust playoff JV? Hunter Brown is also way over his career high in innings pitched. JP France has been great for us, but he's ideally not a guy you want to rely on in the postseason to make a big start. Piggy backing might be a solution. But that being said, they might very well decide that they need Yainer behind the plate and roll out the best possible lineup every night in October from an offense standpoint.

All that to say this.. a lot is changing very fast and I don't think anything is set in stone.

Well "tonight" is in 3 hours.
7nine
texasaggie2015
AG
You don't know what time zone I'm in
Prosperdick
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Well "tonight" is in 3 hours.
You beat me to it...I was like, our insider and the front office don't know the game is at 1:10...WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!

ETA - this could work if they all convince Dusty the game is at 7:10 tonight. Once he strolls into the clubhouse around 4:00 we hopefully have the game wrapped up!
linkdude
AG
It feels so obvious that we all thought they could coast after the Rangers sweep. About the last sense of excitement being the back to back Breggy/Yordan homers last week. They're all tired, and so are we.

Hope we catch a second or third wind today.
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Should be hopefully a fun afternoon!

I'm guessing tie between Seattle and Texas for first

I dont like Javier vs the orioles today. Unless we get 2022 Javier it'll be rough for us
BadAggie
AG
2-4.

JV: "Hey Chumps. Play better."

spadilly said:

spadilly
S

No Yordan or Uncle Mike.
BadAggie
AG
Ah, the Dusty Getaway Day Special.
Chef Elko
AG
spadilly said:

No Yordan or Uncle Mike.

Dusty already dug his own grave. Now we wait
texasaggie2015
AG
Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable. Unless he has a significant ailment, this is just unacceptable.
Mr President Elect
AG
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yeah, I don't mind Maldy at 9 with our lineup, but now that our pitching staff is "toast"; I think our only path is to roll with our absolute best. Unless, our pitching staff decides to pull a Pena this year, which I'm all for, lol.

I'm guessing there is nothing they can do about Dusty insisting on bringing in Maton with runner's on?
txags11
AG
I'm so over this bull**** and these janky ass lineups.
linkdude
AG
Javi needs to channel some WS no hitter energy
BadAggie
AG

"I say F You Dusty, I do it myself."

1836er
AG
holy crap
RED AG 98
AG
spadilly said:

No Yordan or Uncle Mike.
"Lineups are subject to change"

I mean, if anyone knows this, it's the 2023 Houston Astros.
Boiling Denim
Dusty really is just praying the Seattle/Rangers series breaks in our favor at this point
TMACsDaMan
Plain and simple…Dusty is betting on Astros games
Mathguy64
AG
linkdude said:

Javi needs to channel some WS no hitter energy
If he gets through 5 IP with 90 pitches it will be a miracle. And that still leaves 4 IP to cover.

He needs to lean to be more efficient with his pitch count or hes a a liability.

Frankly I would toss an opener out there. Let someone else throw the 1st and get through that part of the lineup if you can. Then maybe he can settle in with weaker hitters and maybe just maybe reduce his pitch count a bit and get into the 7th.

Of course there is a -725% chance Johnny B Baker, Jr would ever do this so its pointless to talk about it.
cc10106
"Fear not, the bats are here. Pitching is good enough. We're gonna win the division" - Dana Brown this morning

Then that lineup drops. OOF.
Ags #1
AG
Did dana really say that? The pitching has been dog crap
texasaggie2015
AG
What's he gonna say?

"Our pitching sucks. We won't win anything. Just go watch the Texans."
Mr.Bond
AG
#FireDusty
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Satellite of Love
3 straight series where the final game could result in a sweep (by the other team). Not sure how that is possible when 2 of the 3 are the 2 worst teams in baseball...
tjack16
AG
Javier vs the orioles offense and Dusty rolls this lineup
bearkatag15
AG
I'm not gonna lie... I'd probably bench Yordan today too after that last AB last night.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BadAggie
AG
tjack16 said:

Javier vs the orioles offense and Dusty rolls this lineup

rausr
AG
Why are we always so tired?
We've ben tired since the beginning of the season.

Do other teams have the same problems with fatigue, where they have to change their lineups on a daily basis to account for fatigued players?

Is it a diet or conditioning thing?
Do we have iron-poor blood?
Do we need Geritol?

Farmer1906
AG
Today Altuve reminds us why he's the GOAT.
First Page Last Page
Page 2389 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.