***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,504,795 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
can someone please post the pic of dusty with the massive big brain
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

Which is a constant reoccurring problem with Jake.

He pays timid and thinks too much. This often leads to boneheaded mistakes like throwing to the wrong base, missing a cut-off man, or assuming a baserunner isn't going to take the next base and just nonchalantly tossing the ball back in.

He just seems to get in his own way a lot and it shows on the little things.
When you get limited play time you don't want to be the one to make a mistake and not get the chance in the future. It is a double edged sword there. Especially in that situation last night. Could you imagine the backlash if for some reason he was thrown out?

Edit to add, mistakes happen and that is how you learn. I would love to know what the locker room or coaching staff is like that causes a player to play timid. I have seen it in the military and in work environments where guys are put in positions that they can't handle or are scared to make a mistake and that comes from the top.
spadilly
S
I went back and looked through MLB Film Room this morning to see what texasaggie2015 was talking about.

On Pressly's fastballs, you can see him tap/push the ball back into his glove ever so slightly during his motion. It's not every time, but enough of it to be a trend or a tell for the opponents to see.

Example 1: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-ball-to-aaron-hicks-kjt1sp?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20DESC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

Example 2: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-ball-to-adam-frazier-rvdyh4?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20DESC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

Example 3: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-called-strike-to-ryan-o-hearn-htpud4?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20DESC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

On his offspeed stuff, it's not there:

Example 1: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-swinging-strike-to-adley-rutschman-37xl7a?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20ASC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

Example 2: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-ball-to-heston-kjerstad?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20ASC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

Example 3: https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-pressly-in-play-no-out-to-ryan-o-hearn?q=PlayerId%20%3D%3D%20%5B519151%5D%20AND%20GameDate%20%3D%20%5B%222023-09-18%22%5D%20Order%20By%20PitchSpeed%20ASC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

If you want to play around with it, just know there's a 15 second ad before every video.
Major League Baseball Video Search | MLB Film Room | MLB.com
search: Ryan Pressly 9/18/23
sort by highest or lowest pitch speed.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Beat40 said:

JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

I dislike Dusty as much as the next but he put in his closer with a 2 run lead… and we had a runner on 3rd with 1 out with two of our best hitters up. That's on the players

Sure. It's on Pressly to perform. But he also could have used a high leverage guy in a high leverage situation up 2 in the 7th against the top of the order and instead went with conventional baseball wisdom. Might have preveted them from scoring 2 runs in that inning. Might not, but at least it would have been best stuff on best stuff instead of lessor stuff against best stuff.
but then you don't know if we would have scored any runs either and we would end right back up with a 2 run lead in the 9th with our closer. If you look at my history i bash dusty as much as the next guy, but with all the baserunning mistakes we've made who's to say Jake wasn't told to go and just didn't. This loss is on the players. its just grasping to try and say blowing a 2 run lead save is the managers fault.
texasaggie2015
AG
Thanks man! That's exactly what I was talking about. Just haven't had time to go back and find videos to share.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I wanted to get some clarification before posting this and I hinted at this last night. I don't want to go into too much detail on a public message board but I'll say the tension between Dusty Baker and the front office has grown tremendously over the last month or so from what I'm told. And there's at least a couple players who aren't happy with Dusty as well. Veteran guys.

I don't think there's a scenario where Dusty returns. If they were to re-sign him, there's a couple key pieces of this team who would want out.

It's a sad situation. And completely avoidable.
This actually gives me hope because before you stated the FO was fine with Maldy catching the majority of games and I've got to think Diaz's lack of playing time has to be one of the biggest sources of friction. I'm sure the use of Chas and his placement in the lineup is another but I'm really hoping we can make the playoffs and the FO has final say and will want Diaz catching.

Perhaps that's why Dusty refuses to allow Diaz to catch Framber or JV because he wants to be able to throw up his hands in the playoffs and say "He's never caught them before, we can't start him now!" Such a petulant, spiteful "man" who then has the temerity to say Diaz will thank him later. GFY Donkey!
spadilly
S
didn't want to steal your thunder, just had the time this morning and was quite curious.
texasaggie2015
AG
I appreciate it. I picked up on it right away and couldn't believe it.
BadAggie
AG
lead said:

Some serious BAS in here. ESPN has us 96% chance making playoffs

2-5 in last seven games with 4 of those losses coming against the two worst teams in baseball, in the midst of tight division and wildcard races.

But for their rivals losing they'd have already dropped out of the division lead and a playoff spot already.

Not hard to see that happening if the current trend continues. Seattle is playing Oakland now instead of the Dodgers.

Satellite of Love
texasaggie2015 said:

But do the guys on the field pick up on that slight double pump?
texasaggie2015
AG
Pro hitters are always looking for even the slightest tells. If I can see it, they can too.

It's fairly late in the motion.. but it's just enough to where they can sit on a certain pitch and wait for it.
AustinCountyAg
spadilly said:

So Dusty's managing this way out of spite.
I've been saying this for weeks. It's obvious to anyone with a brain.
cc10106
Our manager really thinks this is all about him and whatever agenda he has.
txags92
AG
Satellite of Love said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There are people in nearly every organization dedicated to looking for things like that. And when you see batters clustered around a tablet in the dugout, you can almost bet they have figured out some kind of a tell or tendency to exploit.
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I wanted to get some clarification before posting this and I hinted at this last night. I don't want to go into too much detail on a public message board but I'll say the tension between Dusty Baker and the front office has grown tremendously over the last month or so from what I'm told. And there's at least a couple players who aren't happy with Dusty as well. Veteran guys.

I don't think there's a scenario where Dusty returns. If they were to re-sign him, there's a couple key pieces of this team who would want out.

Man. As much as I appreciate you and the info you provide, I almost wish I didn't read this. Don't get me wrong, I've suspected this was the case for weeks, but I guess I just didn't want it to be true.
Regardless of how the rest of this season plays out, what Dusty has done this year is beyond worthy of him being let go. Hopefully once the playoffs come around, assuming that we're able to hang on and make it, I sincerely hope the FO takes control of the lineup card. Not in a spiteful way or to prove anybody wrong, but simply because it's what is best for the organization. Dusty has proven too many times that he isn't willing to give us the best chance to win day-in and day-out.
Class of 2010
Satellite of Love
You can see it because you have the angle to see it.
Satellite of Love
txags92 said:

Satellite of Love said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There are people in nearly every organization dedicated to looking for things like that. And when you see batters clustered around a tablet in the dugout, you can almost bet they have figured out some kind of a tell or tendency to exploit.
I totally agree. I don't doubt there are people looking from the dugout.
texasaggie2015
AG
Satellite of Love said:

I promise you the hitters can pick up on it. I know what I'm talking about.
Farmer1906
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Who knows what the batter sees. It could be how the glove moves and a forearm twitch. Even if it's small, it it's someone that happens every time guys will find it.
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He was doing a slight double clutch when he threw heater. He didn't do it when he threw breaking ball.
make sure you pass that up the food chain in case they haven't noticed. maybe we'll get that texags fan ring afterall
txags92
AG
CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Man. As much as I appreciate you and the info you provide, I almost wish I didn't read this. Don't get me wrong, I've suspected this was the case for weeks, but I guess I just didn't want it to be true.
Regardless of how the rest of this season plays out, what Dusty has done this year is beyond worthy of him being let go. Hopefully once the playoffs come around, assuming that we're able to hang on and make it, I sincerely hope the FO takes control of the lineup card. Not in a spiteful way or to prove anybody wrong, but simply because it's what is best for the organization. Dusty has proven too many times that he isn't willing to give us the best chance to win day-in and day-out.
The part about guys wanting out is what has me worried. At some point, you reach a point where the players stop holding it against Dusty and start blaming the FO for not making a change. If those same players are about to be free agents, it is not a stretch at all to think the way the FO handled things might affect their thinking on where they want to play next year.
texasaggie2015
AG
Already have and it's being relayed as we speak. I suspect they're already aware, but you never know.
BadAggie
AG
Pressly was leaving pitches over the plate.

Sure these days there's videos of everything so wouldn't be surprised these subtle differences were identified, but sometimes it's not that sophisticated
Project Gemini
AG
Retirement age is 65. I don't know why America is content with people in positions of power above this age, stubbornly acting like they know how everything works and not feeling the need to listen to anyone else. From politics, to business, to sports. Of course Crane is pushing 70 so it's not surprising he thinks old folks are ok to hire for these types of jobs.
texasaggie2015
AG
Boiling Denim
So if we believe the Astros are who they have been all season and no switch is being flipped during the regular season for the last 11 games we're looking at

3-2 record remaining against Oriels and Royals (based on .500 record at home)
1-2 record against Seattle (based on season series)
2-1 record against Arizona

I think 90 wins loses the division on a tiebreaker but gets a WC spot over the Rangers.

There's also a scenario we may have to beat Gallen on the last day of the season to clinch a playoff spot
Farmer1906
AG

That's a serious impact. I also think MLB is messing with the balls again. Home Runs are up big too.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

I can get with making decisions out of spite. But those on here saying he's losing intentionally are ridiculous
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Nice to meet you Taylor
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Mother of God. What if I fix the Astros?
We can get you a job catching ahead of Diaz?
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You firing Dusty?
Prosperdick
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

I can get with making decisions out of spite. But those on here saying he's losing intentionally are ridiculous
Who is actually making that assertion? He's a spiteful idiot but at the end of the day he still wants to win to "prove everyone wrong." Sometimes he makes good decisions like arguing for Yuli on the playoff roster last year and leaving JV in the game in the World Series to battle out of it and get the W.

This year he's got a ring and believes he's infallible so anyone telling him things like "play Diaz more" he immediately takes the opposite position like a Monty Python sketch. If the FO was smart they should advise Dusty "play Maldy every game and you better sit Chas every chance you get." I doubt he would catch on to it.
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Now do Dusty lineup bingo

AustinCountyAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

spadilly said:

nobody is saying he's losing intentionally.
Mathguy64
AG
Motion kinematics is video and a computer looking for small and identifiable differences in motions or what you hope are repeatable motions. Computer video analysis makes this stuff easy and it can be done in real time. Smart nerds can do this. Baltimore has smart nerds. They stole them from us.

You would hope we do this to ourselves as much as to other teams.
First Page Last Page
Page 2370 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.