***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,504,916 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jkag89 said:

n_touch said:

jkag89 said:

Dies Irae said:

AggiEE said:

**** Dusty

**** Montero

**** Pressly

**** Tucker

Tonight's loss is on them

Bro Tucker was 2-5 with a triple and an RBI.
Facts don't matter when folks are ranting.

Why not get mad at Breggy 0-5? Or Yordan 0-4 with a walk? Although he smoked a ball in the first.. Or Chaz who had a solid night at the plate numbers wise but also failed in the clutch in the 9th with an awful AB?

Fans need to vent. With a lost like tonight's they need to direct their anger at more than Dusty.
I mean, do I have permission now?
I just find it odd what players fans decide take out their frustrations. Tuck gets raked over the coals for his 9th inning AB while not a peep about Chaz.. At least Tuck put the ball in play and at least a few here believe it was enough to get Myers home. Love Chaz but his 9th inning AB was brutal.

Chas' AB was god-awful, completely uncompetitive, and frankly a joke (not that I could do better, but I'm not a ML player). I think the difference is it ended the game, so there was plenty of discussion to be had at that point about all the ways the game was lost.

On another note, for a while I thought "at least someone will have to lose between the M's and Rangers during those last seven H2Hs." But now the Stros have choked away so many chances to feel comfortable, I'm sitting here going, "Oh no, someone will have to win, too."

If they split them close to evenly/the Rangers get a good share of them and the Jays close strong, at the rate this team is going and looking at how it's played against Seattle this entire season and having lost the tiebreakers to both Seattle and Toronto, it may well miss the postseason entirely.
BadAggie
AG
Seattle gonna take the division lead tomorrow, no confidence in this Astros team winning and Seattle has the As who they seem to know how to beat.

Not far fetched to see Astros out of playoffs by Wednesday, then they have a weekend series versus that Murderers Row from Kansas City.

Just effing awful baseball.
Texas A&M
Texas A&M said:

It's looking like I'm about to be 0-2 for in person games. If it happens, my buddy will be 0-6.
We told my buddy he can't go to any more games.

For all you baseball gurus on this thread, explain the following things to me like I'm 10 years old.
- Why didn't Dusty pinch hit for Maldonado in the 7th inning (I think) when men were on base? Verlander was already out of the game, so that wasn't keeping him in. Diaz is 100 points higher than him.
- With only two weeks left, why aren't we playing our best players every game? If we win the division we'll get our rest then.
Bioish
AG
Have to feel bad for Espada… Dusty is p****** away his chances to manage the Astros next year at this rate.
BadAggie
AG

Beau Holder
AG
BadAggie said:

Seattle gonna take the division lead tomorrow, no confidence in this Astros team winning and Seattle has the As who they seem to know how to beat.

Not far fetched to see Astros out of playoffs by Wednesday, then they have a weekend series versus that Murderers Row from Kansas City.

Just effing awful baseball.

Technically the Stros would still be up by 0.5 for the time being, but it will feel like a foregone conclusion. Agreed that this week could easily end with them on the outside looking in. I think winning one in Seattle is the "likely optimistic" outcome when that series comes around.
BadAggie
AG
Blue Jays have 6 games left v Tampa and 6 v the Yankees. At this rate this might be the only way the Astros make it to the postseason.

BadAggie
AG
Dusty is engaged in the demonstration of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Such a pitiful end to a long career in baseball.
cc10106
PoppaB05 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Because Abreu is hurt and was not available

Wait, when did Abreu get hurt? He's only thrown a total of 50 pitches all month, what is going on? If he's hurt, we are cooked.

He has been leaned on heavily this season, hence the career high for innings pitched. Hopefully he can heal up quickly.
BadAggie
AG
PoppaB05 said:

Tonight is a tough loss, but this is why you need to win against the Royals and A's. Good teams have good players. They are going to beat you sometimes. Presley needed work in some of those games last week, he clearly wasn't sharp. Dusty mismanaging the roster is the problem. Tonight should have been JV, Neris , Abreu, and Pressly. Diaz should have batted for Maldy although tuve bailed him out. Meyers should have been going on contact. If he's out, tip your cap. Brantley should have batted for Chaz, especially with Diaz still available. Every decision just seems like he doesn't give a f***. Can't overcome this level of stupid. Even last year, there wasn't this level of WTF

Playing your best players with 12 games left and a division title and wildcard round bye on the line isn't some kind of new fad analytics strategy. Baker knows what he isn't doing and it's bullshtt.

Bioish
AG
I wouldn't be so upset if we put out our best lineup and lost. But the fact we are playing players who need to retire is frustrating. It's ok to lose giving it your best, but this is a tragedy so far. I think we'll make the playoffs, barely, but our F.O needs to step in and use analytics in the playoffs. Never forget what got us here.
BadAggie
AG
Rather clear Baker has been told he isn't coming back and he's acting like a four year old.

This is nothing deeper than some old man yelling at clouds.

Maybe the Stros will still make the postseason, just need to suck less than one of Seattle, Arlington, or Toronto.
ClickClack
AG
For the millionth time, the idea and continued use of a closer is dumb. Pressly should just be another bullpen arm and we should treat the 9th like any other inning.
lead
Some serious BAS in here. ESPN has us 96% chance making playoffs
Panama Red
AG
I think Meyers had a good shot to make it and should have tried, but don't think it's wrong to suggest he wouldn't.

Blaming Dusty for Meyers not running? Now that's a Grade A terrible take.
tjack16
AG
lead said:

Some serious BAS in here. ESPN has us 96% chance making playoffs

I don't think anybody here is worried about us missing the wild card… but Is that percentage because of how we are playing or how the Rangers and Mariners are playing?

The issue is we have done ourselves zero favors and all it takes is for one of those teams to get hot with a winning streak and we blow the division.

That's my worry is not us missing a wild card. We'll get that. My worry is that if there is a possible path for us to make the World Series, it doesn't include a wild card series against Tampa. This team isn't consistent enough to win 3 AL playoff series
JDUB08AG
AG
This team has been inconsistent enough this year to give me limited confidence that a wild card spot is secure. I thinks it's still likely, but this is baseball and I honestly don't really trust this team. The Seattle series will be the most important regular season series we've had since 2016.
Boiling Denim
Updated Maldy stats at MMP

24-33 record on the year

Lost 7 of last 8
rosco511
AG
Panama Red said:

I think Meyers had a good shot to make it and should have tried, but don't think it's wrong to suggest he wouldn't.

You do realize that in those situations it is the manager who makes the go on contact call? They tell the runner in advance. I personally am not that upset with that decision, but that is clearly a manager call and decision unless Meyers just ignored it and did not follow through.
Ag_07
AG
So I can assume the crew at MMP is putting some extra green paint behind home plate today.

That should get it right and we'll be ready to roll tonight.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
No it isn't. It's the third base coach.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bioish said:

I wouldn't be so upset if we put out our best lineup and lost. But the fact we are playing players who need to retire is frustrating. It's ok to lose giving it your best, but this is a tragedy so far. I think we'll make the playoffs, barely, but our F.O needs to step in and use analytics in the playoffs. Never forget what got us here.

So we're just going to ignore that Maldy hit a go ahead HR in the game. I agree with playing Diaz more but come on he was 2-4.
Furlock Bones
AG
here's the deal. our pitching staff this year is just not good enough. for all of our gnashing of teeth about Dusty's lineups, its really coming down to our starting pitching giving up too many runs and our bullpen not being lockdown like they were previously.

this is not a championship team.
Furlock Bones
AG
Panama Red said:

I think Pettis and Meyers blew that. Meyers is in for his speed and to make a play like that that other players aren't capable of doing.
rosco511
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

No it isn't. It's the third base coach.

You think the third base coach is making that kind of decision in the 9th? Not a chance
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
I wanted to get some clarification before posting this and I hinted at this last night. I don't want to go into too much detail on a public message board but I'll say the tension between Dusty Baker and the front office has grown tremendously over the last month or so from what I'm told. And there's at least a couple players who aren't happy with Dusty as well. Veteran guys.

I don't think there's a scenario where Dusty returns. If they were to re-sign him, there's a couple key pieces of this team who would want out.

It's a sad situation. And completely avoidable.
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

I wanted to get some clarification before posting this and I hinted at this last night. I don't want to go into too much detail on a public message board but I'll say the tension between Dusty Baker and the front office has grown tremendously over the last month or so from what I'm told. And there's at least a couple players who aren't happy with Dusty as well. Veteran guys.

I don't think there's a scenario where Dusty returns. If they were to re-sign him, there's a couple key pieces of this team who would want out.

It's a sad situation. And completely avoidable.
Just like someone posted before, it seems to be that is the going trend of all the teams he has managed.
spadilly
S
So Dusty's managing this way out of spite.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Correct. It is literally his job to make split second decisions on who to and not to send and when.
Farmer1906
AG
I am willing to bet the majority of the time the player decides.

There is probably a plan in place or general rule of thumb for the situation, but ultimately the player will go if he thinks he makes it at this level.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

There is probably a plan in place or general rule of thumb for the situation, but ultimately the player will go if he thinks he makes it at this level.
I believe there is decisions there as well yes. But what the poster I was replying to is saying is that it's Dusty's fault because the manager makes the call on when to send a runner on a contact play.
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is correct. The dugout will dictate whether the runner has the green light. It's the runner's discretion from there.

I can almost guarantee he had the green light last night.
Ag_07
AG
Which is a constant reoccurring problem with Jake.

He pays timid and thinks too much. This often leads to boneheaded mistakes like throwing to the wrong base, missing a cut-off man, or assuming a baserunner isn't going to take the next base and just nonchalantly tossing the ball back in.

He just seems to get in his own way a lot and it shows on the little things.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bingo.
First Page Last Page
Page 2369 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.