***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,593 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Man - if only. I'd like to see it just once. Unfortunately it's a unicorn for the Astros and a horse for the Braves.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm sure we'll see Chas in CF like we did in the playoffs last year. Not sure about Diaz. But they won't have both of them on the bench.

Agreed. The same dynamics existed with Chas last year and he still started 12/13 games in the playoffs. I don't expect that to be different this year.

Diaz vs Maldy is a different convo with different complicating factors. I've been hoping that we let Diaz work with Framber over the next few weeks and get them ready for a potential battery in the playoffs, but I doubt it. Obviously Diaz isn't going to work any JV games either so just gotta accept that Maldy will be behind the plate for at least games 1, 2, 5 and 6 of a playoff series.

I don't get the sense there's as big of a Dusty vs front office rift with Diaz/Maldy as there is with Chas not being our starting CF.
texasaggie2015
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'm sure we'll see Chas in CF like we did in the playoffs last year. Not sure about Diaz. But they won't have both of them on the bench.
I don't get the sense there's as big of a Dusty vs front office rift with Diaz/Maldy as there is with Chas not being our starting CF.
This is correct
AgLA06
AG
Letting guys run wild and unchecked around the bases and being an automatic out in the playoffs isn't an option either.
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

This is correct
Then how did we go from being the smartest and most analytical team in baseball to playing favorites well past their prime to the detriment of the team?!?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jetch17 said:

jah003 said:

jetch17 said:

Can we please not blow ass at home tonight vs a fart team after the sac dragging of the last week?

After a couple lunch margs, I'm guessing I'll just pony up for some Apple TV to watch tonight

I feel like you can get a month trial almost anywhere. I feel like I saw it on my target app the other day. The Apple TV production with the local radio call is elite.

I've burned through 1 trial already - I'll have to poke around. For $7 I figure I can find some stuff to watch for a month
There is a ton of ATV content worth it. Just to name some.

Series:
Ted Lasso
Silo
For All Mankind
Severance

Limited episodes:
Blackbird.
The Last Thing He Told Me
Hijack

If you posted this on the Rangers thread you'd get a 90-day ban.
texasaggie2015
AG
Because Jeff Luhnhow and AJ Hinch are no longer here. It's been a long time since the lineups and all that were analytics driven.

Dusty Baker is who Dusty Baker always has been. We just aren't as good as we were last year and we're seeing why he's been fired at every stop he's made.
Ag_07
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

This is correct
Then how did we go from being the smartest and most analytical team in baseball to playing favorites well past their prime to the detriment of the team?!?

I don't think we've gotten any dumber but last year Maldy wasn't this bad defensively and now the only other option is a rookie Dusty doesn't trust as much.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Agreed. The same dynamics existed with Chas last year and he still started 12/13 games in the playoffs. I don't expect that to be different this year.

Diaz vs Maldy is a different convo with different complicating factors. I've been hoping that we let Diaz work with Framber over the next few weeks and get them ready for a potential battery in the playoffs, but I doubt it. Obviously Diaz isn't going to work any JV games either so just gotta accept that Maldy will be behind the plate for at least games 1, 2, 5 and 6 of a playoff series.

In a 7 game playoff series.

Chas should play CF 100% of the time.

Diaz should catch all non Framber/JV starts.

Yainer & Brantley split DH time. (Alvarez plays 100% DH/LF)

Dubon, Meyers, and Singleton (unless he flashes while Abreu stinks) all ride the pine.
HarryRocket
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Dubon, Meyers, and Singleton (unless he flashes while Abreu stinks) all ride the pine.

Diaz should catch JV starts. JV is a big boy, his career ability doesn't land on the shoulders of maldanado.

You can sway me over a Framber because his mental side does seem a bit soft.
Deluxe
AG
If Diaz was gonna catch JV or Framber in the playoffs, I think we would have seen them working together by now.
texasaggie2015
AG
They work together a ton behind the scenes.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Agreed. Gotta find another way to get Yainer in the lineup a few times when he's not catching.
Farmer1906
AG
HarryRocket said:

Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Diaz should catch JV starts. JV is a big boy, his career ability doesn't land on the shoulders of maldanado.

You can sway me over a Framber because his mental side does seem a bit soft.
Obviously, but do we think the two meet up for the first time in Oct when we have the chance now? I will believe it when I see it.
HarryRocket
Deluxe said:

If Diaz was gonna catch JV or Framber in the playoffs, I think we would have seen them working together by now.

Even if he wasn't we should have seen it by now. Isn't that Dusty's while philosophy?
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They work together a ton behind the scenes.

That's great. Do you think he'll catch either of them in a game with playoff stakes? I feel like catching a regular season game is step 1.
texasaggie2015
AG
Sorry- just chiming in with what I know.

No idea.
HarryRocket
Remember when McCoy got hurt against Alabama and they had to bring in a fish Gilbert who hadn't played all year?

Because they wanted to pad stats for McCoy to win the heisman so Gilbert got little to none mop up time.

That's the same type of idiocy our team is playing with in regards to maldy only we're not chasing a heisman, dusty is just trying to avoid being proven wrong.
BadAggie
AG
We'll see the lineup of death as needed from here on.

Ag_07
AG
Obligatory...Has the lineup come out yet?
Boiling Denim
As long as Maldy can squat, catch a ball and throw it back to the mound there's not an injury that will keep him out of the lineup. So I don't think the Astros are working on a contingency plan where Maldy loses a limb, his eyesight or gets put on the restricted list
tremble
AG
I bet the FO is receiving questions and isn't exactly being quiet about their thoughts.
Ag_07
AG
Boiling Denim said:

As long as Maldy can squat, catch a ball and throw it back to the mound there's not an injury that will keep him out of the lineup. So I don't think the Astros are working on a contingency plan where Maldy loses a limb, his eyesight or gets put on the restricted list

Wrong

They always carry 3 catchers in the playoffs for this very situation.
BadAggie
AG

"Yeah, I got a date. Her name is Arlington."

Boiling Denim
Ag_07 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Wrong

They always carry 3 catchers in the playoffs for this very situation.

Sorry should have added the caveat they won't put their contingency plan into practice. There won't be any fire drill
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

This is correct
Prosperdick
AG
Boiling Denim said:

I've never rooted for an injury to a player in my life and I won't start now but lets just say this is the closest I've ever been.

Give Framber his Maldy Linus blanket and that's it...everyone else gets Diaz. If they don't like it, tough ****. You're a professional, f***ing act like it.

If we lose a critical game because of a passed ball, stolen base or missed out on runs due to Maldy's double play tendencies I'm going to ****ing lose it. If it happens because Framber is pitching I'll accept it but everything else is ridiculous.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm not saying there isn't a rift. There's frustration for sure and they want Yainer to get more ABs. It's just not quite as big as the Chas situation from what I understand.
texasaggie2015
AG

Solid lineup. I didn't expect Mike to play with Snell on the mound tonight. Gives us a great pinch hitter option later in the game if needed.
Beau Holder
AG
No clue why Maldonado is still catching Brown but fine.

Unrelated, I had a hell of a find on 19th in the Heights. Original 7/21/1969 copy.
texasaggie2015
AG
The moon landing was fake
OKCAg2002
AG
If Maldy has to play, that's a sexy ass lineup.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The moon landing was fake

Dusty? That you?
texasaggie2015
AG
It's funny.. he actually has an OPS of almost .900 against lefties this year
First Page Last Page
Page 2197 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.