***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,320 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Chas McCormick - 95 games
Corey Julks - 93 games

There is an elephant in the room

I don't want to make this into a political or race thing at all but just imagine if the races were reversed with Dusty and Chas. The ACLU would have filed charges after opening day when he was on the bench and the manager would have been fired by now.

Again, I don't want this to turn political but I'm just using it to illustrate how ridiculous it is.
jetch17
AG
Can we please not blow ass at home tonight vs a fart team after the sac dragging of the last week?

After a couple lunch margs, I'm guessing I'll just pony up for some Apple TV to watch tonight
All I do is Nguyen
Deluxe said:

Like I said in my TLDR post, the chatter may not change his mind (he may even dig in even further). But he definitely wasn't going to change his mind if everything remained quietly status quo. I think this is the only hope.
This just makes what 2015 has said about the Lineups during the playoffs being a collaborative effort, SUCH a big thing. They will force Chas to start along with Uncle mike, and Yainer.
texasaggie2015
AG
I really think the race narrative is a reach. He's had issues with other African-American players in the past. This is a similar situation to when he was infatuated with Myles Straw. He's always been this way.. he takes a strong liking to certain players and favors them for no reason other than he likes him or has a gut feeling about them.
W
AG
Blake Snell has a 2.50 ERA

he's not the reason the Padres are under .500 this year
jah003
S
jetch17 said:

Can we please not blow ass at home tonight vs a fart team after the sac dragging of the last week?

After a couple lunch margs, I'm guessing I'll just pony up for some Apple TV to watch tonight

I feel like you can get a month trial almost anywhere. I feel like I saw it on my target app the other day. The Apple TV production with the local radio call is elite.
texasaggie2015
AG
The Padres are 4th in baseball in team ERA. Pretty wild actually.
jetch17
AG
jah003 said:

jetch17 said:

I feel like you can get a month trial almost anywhere. I feel like I saw it on my target app the other day. The Apple TV production with the local radio call is elite.

I've burned through 1 trial already - I'll have to poke around. For $7 I figure I can find some stuff to watch for a month
texasaggie2015
AG
Watch Blackbird and thank me later
Ag_07
AG
Snell is on track to win the NL CY.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm taking pre-orders now if you want to get one by the start of the playoffs.

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Blake Snell has a 2.50 ERA

he's not the reason the Padres are under .500 this year
He's been very good. Near the front of the NY Cy Race.

The Padres are only 14-14 in games when he starts. If he gives up more than 1 run, they're a pathetic 4-10. Why do aces lack run support so often?
Mathguy64
AG
jetch17 said:

jah003 said:

jetch17 said:

I've burned through 1 trial already - I'll have to poke around. For $7 I figure I can find some stuff to watch for a month
There is a ton of ATV content worth it. Just to name some.

Series:
Ted Lasso
Silo
For All Mankind
Severance

Limited episodes:
Blackbird.
The Last Thing He Told Me
Hijack

texasaggie2015
AG
Because they have things like personal center fielders and personal catchers
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why do aces lack run support so often?

This is a fascinating occurrence

I've heard players on podcasts speak directly to this and it's as simple as 'When aces are on the mound they expect perfection from themselves so it raises the stakes for the entire team'. Basically everyone feels the need to perform perfectly and that creates tension and pressure.

I've also heard guys say they get ultra locked in on defense because they don't wanna be the one who fks it up for the ace who's out there striving for perfection. That leads to not being so sharp on offense.

It's an interesting case study in sports psychology.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jetch17 said:

jah003 said:

jetch17 said:

There is a ton of ATV content worth it. Just to name some.

Series:
Ted Lasso
Silo
For All Mankind
Severance

Limited episodes:
Blackbird.
The Last Thing He Told Me
Hijack
Don't waste your time with Hijack. I love Idris Elba but that show was a dud, started off promising but they definitely did not land the plane (no pun intended).
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

FWIW- out of all the gossip I've been told and things that go on in that clubhouse, I've never once heard of a player who dislikes Dusty.

It's very possible there's some guys who have problems with him. I just always found it interesting that I haven't heard otherwise.
You can like a manager and still realize he's mucking it up.

He's supposedly a good guy to be around. He's a player's manager (which is why we're currently being mismanaged). That doesn't change the fact that he's committing malpractice with the development of Diaz and Chas as well as hurting this team by not playing them. Not just for this year, but the future as well.
AustinCountyAg
All I do is Nguyen said:

Deluxe said:

Like I said in my TLDR post, the chatter may not change his mind (he may even dig in even further). But he definitely wasn't going to change his mind if everything remained quietly status quo. I think this is the only hope.
This just makes what 2015 has said about the Lineups during the playoffs being a collaborative effort, SUCH a big thing. They will force Chas to start along with Uncle mike, and Yainer.
I'm gunna call BS. game 1 of playoffs with JV on the hill Chaz, and Diaz will both be on the bench. absolutely ridiculous.
Boiling Denim
It'll be interesting if any of these games goes into extras. Which team will crack under the pressure and accidentally win first?
AgLA06
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

FWIW- out of all the gossip I've been told and things that go on in that clubhouse, I've never once heard of a player who dislikes Dusty.

It's very possible there's some guys who have problems with him. I just always found it interesting that I haven't heard otherwise.
You can like a manager and still realize he's mucking it up.

He's supposedly a good guy to be around. He's a player's manager (which is why we're currently being mismanaged). That doesn't change the fact that he's committing malpractice with the development of Diaz and Chas as well as hurting this team by not playing them. Not just for this year, but the future as well.
The more I think about this, the more I think Dusyt has already been told he's done one way or the other after this year. And he's taken the stance that with that being the case, he's going to do what he wants, how he wants. Otherwise they can fire him and look bad. And that's how we're in this situation.

It's starting to scare me to death to think the front office might not get the say of the lineup in the playoffs. And that it could cost this team a run a championship. Who knows how many more chances we'll get on this run.
texasaggie2015
AG
Nope. They won't both be on the bench.
texasaggie2015
AG
The front office has had final say on the starting lineup every year in the postseason. That won't suddenly change this year for no reason. The structure is the exact same.
AgLA06
AG
You keep saying that, but I can't believe if that was the case we'd still be sitting here in this position during the month of September when we're trying to make the playoffs and win a division.

• Either you're wrong and Dusty has told them to F off or fire him

• Or they need to be the adults and should have already done that weeks ago.

Neither make the front office look good at this point.
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

I pray this is the case.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Watch Blackbird and thank me later

And Foundation. And Ted Lasso.
f1ghtintexasaggie
texasaggie2015 said:

So the first time Yainer will catch JV is game 1 of the playoffs (ALDS or WC)?

Or will Brantley be benched?
texasaggie2015
AG
It was the same way last year. And the year before. And the year before. And the year before that even.

They won't change the structure because contracts were signed and agreed upon with that structure in place.

I'm sure it will be revisited during the off-season as well as a lot of other things. But I can assure you guys that nothing has changed or will change.

If you want to believe I'm wrong, go for it. Doesn't bother me.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm sure we'll see Chas in CF like we did in the playoffs last year. Not sure about Diaz. But they won't have both of them on the bench.
W
AG
good question

Bagwell always said the team played great behind Oswalt...because they knew they were going to win that day

Roy's .636 winning % with the Astros bears that out
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Dusty brought this on himself. He's the jester in it all. Maybe Chas was smart and got his agent to start floating the story out to the more national media types.

With what I've seen out of Dana Brown and the public comments he's willing to make, it wouldn't surprise me if someone on his team started floating stuff around to pressure Dusty.
Beau Holder
AG
W said:

good question

Bagwell always said the team played great behind Oswalt...because they knew they were going to win that day

Watching Oswalt pitch was one of the best things about my entire sports adolescence.
spadilly
S
cone said:

what if you think Chan is a c sucker in any and all respects
Chandler has been fantastic since moving over to The Athletic.
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly
S
Beau Holder said:

W said:

good question

Watching Oswalt pitch was one of the best things about my entire sports adolescence.
I remember the O's Bros up in the upped deck every time he pitched.
Also, hope you didn't run to the bathroom or you missed an inning when he pitched.
Miles Finch
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why do aces lack run support so often?

This is a fascinating occurrence

I've heard players on podcasts speak directly to this and it's as simple as 'When aces are on the mound they expect perfection from themselves so it raises the stakes for the entire team'. Basically everyone feels the need to perform perfectly and that creates tension and pressure.

I've also heard guys say they get ultra locked in on defense because they don't wanna be the one who fks it up for the ace who's out there striving for perfection. That leads to not being so sharp on offense.

It's an interesting case study in sports psychology.
This has always fascinated me, as well. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that the opposing pitcher/team knows they have to match effort/focus and bring their "A" game when the opposing team's ace is on the mound. Good pitching still beats good hitting and you end up with a 1-0, 2-1 type of game.
First Page Last Page
Page 2196 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.