***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,496,676 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wish someone would just ask Dusty to plainly lay out the rationale behind it. In explicit terms and in comparison to other options.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beau Holder said:

I get that, and I'm afraid by even posting this that things are going to go sideways, but I don't want to just ignore you. Isn't that the tradeoff as old as modernity? With density in cities comes things to do all around you at the cost of space and some amenities. With suburbs comes nice yards and lots and school districts at the cost of the things characteristic of a city.

I live two miles from MMP. As a huge Astros fan, being able to bike down the bayou to go to as many games as I want was a minor factor in that decision. Along with food options and three music venues within 10 minutes of me and lots of other considerations. I didn't want to live in a burb, but if I did, I wouldn't have done it with the expectation of a major sports franchise setting up shop there.

EDIT: I should also say, you're right about the experience in this regard: I love this city, but public transpo is 100% one area in which it needs to get its crap together. No reason there can't be routes of some kind from the Beltway-ish neighborhoods toward downtown.
let me be honest. I'm not talking about Astros. I love MMP and I make the effort to go. reliant sucks to get to which means the rodeo sucks to get to but they do a good job with the busses for that. I would never go to Toyota center though. Parking while not even that far from MMP, is horrible.

I didn't move to a suburb hoping a team would follow although I did get my hopes up when they discussed moving a minor league affiliate to the Woodlands area.

I just think the areas I mentioned would be well served if they put a Hockey stadium and I guess relocated the Rockets to the North side. It would still be on the beltway so easy enough to get to for south siders and those inside the loop. And reasonable to get to for cypress/spring/Tomball/woodlands etc.

Also many areas around there which could be aught up and demolished for the stadium followed by areas to add in bars/restaurants etc. also great proximity to the airport
redline248
AG
I couldn't get through that, those 3 dudes are terrible
Beau Holder
AG
Fair points and thanks for explaining. And you're very right about Toyota Center.
MAROON
AG
Prosperdick said:

Wabs said:

So with JV pitching (and Maldy and Dubon being "required" to play)...

1. Altuve 2B
2. Breggy 3B
3. Yordan DH
4. Tucker RF
5. Chas LF
6. Diaz 1B
7. Pena SS
8. Dubon CF
9. Maldy C
Probably the best we can hope for...Dubon in centerfield is still such an oddity but whatever.
Its ****ing stupid! You know how many times Dubon started in CF with JV on the mound in the playoffs last year? NONE!!!!!!!!!
AgLA06
AG
Breaking ground after this season ends.

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-breaking-ground-entertainment-center-minute-maid-park

"The Houston Astros are close to building a hotel and entertainment complex next to Minute Maid Park, according to Chandler France of the Houston Business Journal.

Astros owner Jim Crane said that the project would be similar to The Battery Atlanta in Atlanta and Ballpark Village in St. Louis."
redline248
AG
Since July 1...Jake is a little better

In August, Dubon has the advantage.

Jake strikes out way too much no matter what, but does have more pop.

edit: and I don't think that's an accurate measure of defense since Dubon is going to have some infield time
Frok
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Beau Holder said:

I get that, and I'm afraid by even posting this that things are going to go sideways, but I don't want to just ignore you. Isn't that the tradeoff as old as modernity? With density in cities comes things to do all around you at the cost of space and some amenities. With suburbs comes nice yards and lots and school districts at the cost of the things characteristic of a city.

I live two miles from MMP. As a huge Astros fan, being able to bike down the bayou to go to as many games as I want was a minor factor in that decision. Along with food options and three music venues within 10 minutes of me and lots of other considerations. I didn't want to live in a burb, but if I did, I wouldn't have done it with the expectation of a major sports franchise setting up shop there.

EDIT: I should also say, you're right about the experience in this regard: I love this city, but public transpo is 100% one area in which it needs to get its crap together. No reason there can't be routes of some kind from the Beltway-ish neighborhoods toward downtown.
let me be honest. I'm not talking about Astros. I love MMP and I make the effort to go. reliant sucks to get to which means the rodeo sucks to get to but they do a good job with the busses for that. I would never go to Toyota center though. Parking while not even that far from MMP, is horrible.

I didn't move to a suburb hoping a team would follow although I did get my hopes up when they discussed moving a minor league affiliate to the Woodlands area.

I just think the areas I mentioned would be well served if they put a Hockey stadium and I guess relocated the Rockets to the North side. It would still be on the beltway so easy enough to get to for south siders and those inside the loop. And reasonable to get to for cypress/spring/Tomball/woodlands etc.

Also many areas around there which could be aught up and demolished for the stadium followed by areas to add in bars/restaurants etc. also great proximity to the airport

One thing that is really nice about the sports teams being located in downtown Houston is there are a variety of roads and freeways to get you in and out of there. If you go to a suburb you end up with ONE major freeway which limits your options. That's why the traffic is always worse for Texans games.

I like the downtown location but do agree they need to develop the area around Minute Maid, it's pretty dumpy.
texasaggie2015
AG
I just made the worst decision of my life and made a LLWS bet (Mexico moneyline) to keep me entertained at work
AgLA06
AG
redline248 said:

Since July 1...Jake is a little better

In August, Dubon has the advantage.

Jake strikes out way too much no matter what, but does have more pop.

edit: and I don't think that's an accurate measure of defense since Dubon is going to have some infield time
I always find some of these stats interesting.

Dubon's July is better in runs scored and RBIs and similar in everything else. Jake just has one more HR and a lot more strike outs. Looks like that HR really skews the stats.

As painful as he was at times, Dubon has played above expectations the last month and looks to be rounding back into form. Doesn't change that CF makes absolutely no sense.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I just made the worst decision of my life and made a LLWS bet (Mexico moneyline) to keep me entertained at work

Betting on 12- year olds? Or 16 in the case of those Far East teams.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Bondag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

Agree Coors ballpark neighborhood is great. T-Mobile has a solid street of brewpubs next to it. Wrigleyville is obviously a platonic ideal.

Pre and postgame in EaDo is a lot of fun and honestly not even that far of a walk to/from the stadium, but it would be nice to have something on the MMP side of 59.
This area needs to be developed into something awesome.

Eado is fine.

West of the ballpark is solid enough with V&A, Irma's, & Osso & Kristalla's are some nice places to eat.

A little farther south is fine too - Biggio's, Grotto, Saltgrass, Grove.

We need home plate & BUS to be replaced with something 10x better. Not just a parking lot.
We need to tear down the Beacon and replace it with something 10X better.
redline248
AG
There is probably some quality of contact in there, idk? Or maybe b/c Dubon had so many more ABs over that stretch?

Oh, and that's not just July. It's July through yesterday. Second photo is just Aug
AgLA06
AG
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Betting on 12- year olds? Or 16 in the case of those Far East teams.
https://www.sumhlc.org/resources/covid-19/national-gambling-addiction-hotlines-and-additional-resources/#:~:text=The%20National%20Problem%20Gambling%20Helpline,assist%20with%20their%20gambling%20addiction.
AgLA06
AG
redline248 said:

There is probably some quality of contact in there, idk? Or maybe b/c Dubon had so many more ABs over that stretch?
No idea. I was just looking at what was posted.

At face value it's interesting that more RBIs, Runs Scored, and striking out less is overcome by one more HR. I'm sure there's things that make up the fancy new stats not seen in the clip.

I'm sure Dubon hit's a weaker ball, but there's a lot more contact there. Maybe he's hitting into twice the double plays than Jake even though Jake strikes out twice as much. It should also mean he's moving runners more. Who knows.
redline248
AG
Dubon's July was actually friggin terrible.

.200/.234/.267, 36 wRC+. His Performance so far in August is pulling him waaay up in that very first photo I posted.
AgLA06
AG
redline248 said:

Dubon's July was actually friggin terrible.

.200/.234/.267, 36 wRC+. His Performance so far in August is pulling him waaay up in that very first photo I posted.
I'm sorry my rounding from memory included the last week of July in my comment.

I think you're over analyzing my statement that the last 3-4 weeks has been light and day different. Because it has. That was the point. He was playing like crap before that.
redline248
AG
I'm not even arguing with you. I was just adding more context to the very first post I made on the topic.
AgLA06
AG
Gotha. I was like Jesus, I was only off by like 4 days!
htxag09
AG
bigjag19 said:

There is nothing south of downtown Atlanta really. The baseball attending population was well north of downtown for the vast majority. It made sense.

Our population is everywhere. Downtown is all that makes sense.
Yeah, people will easily travel from Sugar Land, Pearland, etc. for games in downtown.

I'd wager a fraction of those people would travel to Spring or The Woodlands.
Jet Black
CoachAg19 said:

Beau Holder said:

Agree Coors ballpark neighborhood is great. T-Mobile has a solid street of brewpubs next to it. Wrigleyville is obviously a platonic ideal.

Pre and postgame in EaDo is a lot of fun and honestly not even that far of a walk to/from the stadium, but it would be nice to have something on the MMP side of 59.

I've been to Wrigleyville, and it's great. Unfortunately never made it to a game at Wrigley though. I'm going to Chicago next summer when the Astros play the White Sox and then making a stop for a Cubs game the next day.
MMP definitely needs more pre-and-post game attractions surrounding it.

Maybe I'm misreading but you do know the Astros play at Wrigley next April, right?
CoachAg19
AG
They do, but I'm going with a group, and we can't all go on those particular dates.
Class of 2010
Jet Black
CoachAg19 said:

They do, but I'm going with a group, and we can't all go on those particular dates.

Ah. Gotcha.
texasaggie2015
AG
I plan to make a trip to Wrigley in April and then San Diego in September
AgLA06
AG
htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

There is nothing south of downtown Atlanta really. The baseball attending population was well north of downtown for the vast majority. It made sense.

Yeah, people will easily travel from Sugar Land, Pearland, etc. for games in downtown.

No one lives downtown.

You aren't speaking of realities.
htxag09
AG
AgLA06 said:

htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

No one lives downtown.

What? That's what you took from my post
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah I'm super confused haha
Beau Holder
AG
AgLA06 said:

htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

No one lives downtown.

Plenty of people live Downtown actually. Probably more soon with two brand new high rises having just gone up. And tons more live in the inner-loop neighborhoods immediately surrounding it. And several others still live south of it and aren't going to The Woodlands for a sporting event, which was htxag's point.
AgLA06
AG
Beau Holder said:

AgLA06 said:

htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

No one lives downtown.

Plenty of people live Downtown actually. Probably more soon with two brand new high rises having just gone up. And tons more live in the inner-loop neighborhoods immediately surrounding it. And several others still live south of it and aren't going to The Woodlands for a sporting event, which was htxag's point.
I was part of the first residential project in downtown Houston in 40 years. Compared to anywhere else, very few live downtown. It's 90%+ office space.

Adding those 2 only adds less than 700 units. 2000 people won't swing the metrics.

The argument was people would drive downtown instead of across town. You don't need people to drive across town if the ballpark in located in closer proximity to homes. See all the actual facts presented of other projects. The average person doesn't understand urban planning like they think.

I'm not really sure why it matters anyway. Crane has a lease through 2050ish for the Juicebox and in re-investing around it. And Houston isn't a town to move sporting events to the burbs anyway as has been discussed.
AgLA06
AG
Beau Holder said:

AgLA06 said:

htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

No one lives downtown.

Over 7 million people live in the Houston area and burbs. Between 10k-12K downtown. It would be one of the smallest, if not the smallest population of all the named suburbs of Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Greater_Houston
07ag
AG
Beau Holder said:

AgLA06 said:

htxag09 said:

bigjag19 said:

No one lives downtown.

just like i won't drive from my house near sienna to Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion for a concert, i definitely wouldn't drive that far for a regular season ballgame i can watch on tv. maybe for playoff/ws
https://ts.la/eric59704
Beau Holder
AG
I don't like to be pedantic for its own sake but 10-12K and "no one," which is what you said, are substantively different things as a matter of course. The poster you were responding to was making a point that isn't in disagreement here (and which I don't even think you're really arguing with based on your other post?): simply that central location makes sense and is already achieved in Houston. Whereas moving north was achieving that for Atlanta.

Htxag wasn't even talking about Downtown but rather the Pearland area and adjacent.

"Ballpark in closer proximity to homes" = whose homes? The ones who opted to move to Tomball? No thanks. If you wanted to try and put one in the Heights I'd be down though.
texasaggie2015
AG
Can we go back to arguing about the lineups already

Beau Holder
AG
I'm waiting to hate it but it isn't out yet.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah well Dusty is making it so I'm sure it's going to suck
First Page Last Page
Page 1849 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.