***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,516,855 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beau Holder said:

Dies Irae said:

Ag_07 said:

Speaking of steroids I watched the Untold episode on BALCO last night.

It's pretty good and at the time it was just background noise for me so it was interesting to hear the whole ordeal and learn the details.

We always knew guys were juicing and they were huge but seeing them compared to how guys look now and it's comical.

And Victor Conte and Barry Bonds are two of the biggest PsOS in sports history

Mark McGwire was one of the most laughable physique changes (along with Bonds) I've ever seen. He literally looked like a cartoon character.

Also, I love Baggy but you'll never convince me he didn't take the needle either

Creatine really works, folks!
Stealing these pictures from Time Magazine.

Here's Bonds in 1992, his last year with the Pirates, when he was 27 - in that 27-31 prime we all talk about - and had been in the league for 7 years. He hit 34 homers that year, drove in 103, led the league in runs scored, walks, OBP and SLG and won MVP.

Here he is in 1996 with the Giants at age 31. Still pretty trim. He hit 42 home runs and drove in 129 that year while hitting .308, and led the league with 151 walks, but only finished 5th in the MVP voting as the juicing was starting all around him, combined with the Rockies having 15 guys hit .300 with 100 RBI every year.
Ken Caminiti won MVP.

Here he is in 2001 with the Giants at age 36 looking like Howard Stark and Dr. Abraham Erskine just gave him the super soldier serum. As alluded to in Game of Shadows, he was super pissed about all the attention that McGwire and Sosa got during the home run chases of 97-99 while he was a much more complete player than either. In 2001, he put up the ultimate cartoon numbers. 73 homers, 137 RBI, .328 average, 177 walks, .515 OBP, .863 slugging, 1.379 OPS. This started a run of four straight NL MVP awards for him, even in 2003 when he only played 130 games.

Farmer1906
AG
CoachAg19 said:

Agree except I'd switch Yordan and Tuck.
And for me, it's Singleton/Abreu. I think if Abreu is healthy, then he gets the nod, and Singleton will be used as a PH if necessary…even though I don't know who in that lineup you PH for. I'm happy for Singleton, and his story is awesome, but he has yet to prove himself to be THE every day guy out there. I will say though, I've been impressed with what he's doing defensively.

You can't exactly prove anything in 8 games. I am very happy with his play so far. He's got a .744 OPS (113 wRC+) while having a very low .105 BABIP. If he gets anywhere close to League avg than he'll have an OPS well over .800.
Wabs
AG
Stats are stats, but I feel better with Singleton coming up to bat than I do/did with Abreu. Much more potential for power and Singleton has a GREAT eye.

ETA: plus Dusty will be more inclined to bat Singleton lower in the order (6/7/8) than he would Abreu.
Ag_07
AG
But wouldn't you rather have Brantley over Singleton?

Brantley 1B
Yordan LF
Diaz DH

*This is assuming Maldy is catching
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Brantley 1B
Yordan LF
Diaz DH

Absolutely
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Brantley 1B
Yordan LF
Diaz DH

This makes way too much sense if Brantley has spent the last 12 months working on playing 1st during his rehab. It basically means the arm strength coming back is unimportant. But I think he's only dabbled in 1B so it's probably off the table. I think it could help his career too if he added 1B to his tool belt.
Faustus
AggiEE said:

I hope Abreu stays injured so we can keep lefty singleton in the lineup

I don't want Abreu injured, but Singleton's numbers aren't bad. Just 4 hits in 32 PAs for the Stros, but two were HRs. He also 7 walks, and just 4 strikeouts.

.744 OPS, and 105 OPS+. It's sufficing so far.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/singljo02.shtml
Ag_07
AG
Yep

Plus it helps keep him off his legs which ren;t an issue but I imagine not playing in 12+ months he can't be in the best conditioning shape.
Ag_07
AG
The only thing that concerns me about Jon and it's the only edge Abreu has is the lack of RBIs

He's come up in a few spots with men on and left them out there.
Frok
AG
I'm still not convinced Brantley will fully make it back. I'm waiting for the "he needs to rest a few days" announcement.

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

The only thing that concerns me about Jon and it's the only edge Abreu has is the lack of RBIs

You probably have a point about Abreu being a professional hitter and he'll do what he has to with bat to ball skills to get runs home, but the #s don't show that yet for Singleton.

Between both big league stints this year, Singleton has a .900 OPS /154 wRC+ with runners on. We're talking about a tiny sample size (15 PA).
texasaggie2015
AG
AggiEE said:

I hope Singleton gets so hot that Dusty has to play him, but I just can't bring myself to wishing someone can't get over an injury. That's brutal.
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

You probably have a point about Abreu being a professional hitter and he'll do what he has to with bat to ball skills to get runs home, but the #s don't show that yet for Singleton.

Between both big league stints this year, Singleton has a .900 OPS /154 wRC+ with runners on. We're talking about a tiny sample size (15 PA).

Meanwhile Abreu has a decade.

Singleton's average is worse than Maldy's. C'mon
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
In much fewer at bats. And he's hitting the ball very hard. I'm a skeptic when it comes to Jon, but you can't look at batting average after just a week or so of games. I care more about the eye test.
All I do is Nguyen
Is this normal? This seems really fast
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Ag_07
AG
No

But it's the Angels
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Meanwhile Abreu has a decade.

Singleton's average is worse than Maldy's. C'mon

And?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

In much fewer at bats. And he's hitting the ball very hard. I'm a skeptic when it comes to Jon, but you can't look at batting average after just a week or so of games. I care more about the eye test.
90.0 EV
19.6 LA
38.1% HH
9.5% Barrel%
.258 xBA
22% BB%
13% K%

Decent enough quality of contact. Add to this is ridiculous BB/K ratio and he'll be a borderline all-star. But no way he can keep up those walk numbers. He can still be near the top of the league though.
Farmer1906
AG
These look a little corny.

Wabs
AG
If I'm pitching today, I'd rather face Abreu than Singleton.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Altuve does put the ball on the ground quite a bit. But I don't think we'll ever take him off the lead off spot for Bregman.

You know who leads the team and is one of the top at hitting ground balls? Pena. Man did people want him in that 2 hole.
Sorry, that's what I was trying to say. Altuve has to lead off because of the double play and impatience at the plate even though otherwise it would make more sense for Bregman to lead off.

At some point I have to question what's going on there with our hitting coaches and Pena. Some one should be able to explain to a player with that kind of ability what happens by trying to pull an outside off speed pitch. But so far not through August.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

AggiEE said:

I hope Singleton gets so hot that Dusty has to play him, but I just can't bring myself to wishing someone can't get over an injury. That's brutal.

Implying someone playing better than the alternative has any bearing at all over what Galaxy Brain decides to do with the lineup.
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

These look a little corny.

They did say that everyone was getting a replica ring so why should MMP not get one of its own?
carpediem13
AG
https://x.com/astros/status/1692623675818684890?s=46&t=JDyBoMlDq8sBu8pL9jTPsQ

redline248
AG
Diaz at 1st alert
JohnnyTexAg1995
I'm glad Diaz is in the lineup but it sucks we still have to deal with the black hole at 9
OKCAg2002
AG
That's a solid 1-8. I understand getting Diaz time at 1B if Brantley is going to contribute.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would flip Chas and Jon but other than that I love it.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
If we sign Tucker long term they need to think about 1B for him with all the capable OF we seem to have. I don't know. What are your thoughts on that move
maca1028
That's a solid lineup
OKCAg2002
AG
I think that's kind of dumb. He won a gold glove.
wmitchell
AG
He's a gold glove outfielder with a great arm. I wouldn't move him until older and it prolonged his career
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I get it but how good can he be at 1B? Do you know? Because we have a crap ton of Outfielders in farm system.
JDUB08AG
AG
At least we finally have 1-4 locked in. Only took 4+ months.
First Page Last Page
Page 1764 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.