***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,516,903 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
What's with the '17 championship logo under the '22 ring?
FrioAg 00
AG
They are just showing 2017 for comparison, since 2022 hasn't been revealed
spadilly
S
Gotcha.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Talk about flying through the system. The Angels are calling up their draft pick from this year's draft. Nolan Schanuel has 96 plate appearances across rookie, A, and double A.

Farmer1906
AG
While everyone is thinking about lineups, I think most(?) want the top 4 to be some sort of Altuve-Bregman-Tucker-Alvarez combination. Here is an example of why this IMO is so effective. Sure, they are good hitters, but they usually have good at-bats too.

BB/K (min 200 PA)
6. Bregman - 0.96
8. Altuve - 0.89
9. Tucker - 0.88
42. Alvarez - 0.61

You know a starting pitcher doesn't want to deal with 3 players who are damn good at not striking out and drawing walks and still hit for some serious power (.536, .526, & .418)
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Do they even think about the optics before they do this? 6 rings > 0 rings. Trying to equate a guy who has done absolutely nothing of worth in the postseason to MJ is an insult to MJ.
Ag_07
AG
No way that's real

Besides the fact he has as many rings as I do but the picture isn't even the same.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The signing is real: https://www.si.com/fannation/sneakers/news/aaron-judge-officially-signs-with-jordan-brand . I have to think the picture is because it's the same ring in the instagram post.
Ag_07
AG
The caption...

The captain of the New York Yankees, @thejudge44 continues to add titles to his name as a member of the Jordan Family.

What titles?
Farmer1906
AG
We get Aggie Bryce Miller tonight. After a strong 5 game start to his career, he's been very up and down. His last 2 starts were fine (5.2 IP, 2 R, 1 ER & 5.0 IP, 1 R, 1 ER) but he got lit up for 5 ER ea the 1 starts before.

He's mixed up his pitch usage too. The first 2 months were ~67% 4 seam fastballs. Now the slider is in the mix and actually been more effective than his fastball. There was a spike in sinker and sweeper usage vs RHH in his earlier starts this month. Maybe that is why his last 2 starts have been better.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Broken since the November bunt attempt
Kyle Schwarber gets an all-time Team Awesome free pass for me because of the way he went off on Angel Hernandez, an all-time great baseball gif.

and the video, I love that he got thrown out in less than one second.

texasaggie2015
AG
I feel like not enough people talked about Schwarber striking out trying to bunt with two strikes in the 8th inning of World Series game six
JDUB08AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I feel like not enough people talked about Schwarber striking out trying to bunt with two strikes in the 8th inning of World Series game six
The second Yordan hit that HR they knew it was over. Body language was telling. At that point nobody was thinking clearly.
Bag
AG
Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Yordan
Diaz
Brantley
Chas
Singleton
Pena

I think that is where I Iand after sleeping on it
spadilly
S
texasaggie2015 said:

Both of my boys (in elementary) still mention this every time they see him on a highlight these days and it makes me laugh every time.
Beau Holder
AG
Dies Irae said:

Ag_07 said:

Speaking of steroids I watched the Untold episode on BALCO last night.

It's pretty good and at the time it was just background noise for me so it was interesting to hear the whole ordeal and learn the details.

We always knew guys were juicing and they were huge but seeing them compared to how guys look now and it's comical.

And Victor Conte and Barry Bonds are two of the biggest PsOS in sports history

Mark McGwire was one of the most laughable physique changes (along with Bonds) I've ever seen. He literally looked like a cartoon character.

Also, I love B**** but you'll never convince me he didn't take the needle either

Creatine really works, folks!
CoachAg19
AG
Agree except I'd switch Yordan and Tuck.
And for me, it's Singleton/Abreu. I think if Abreu is healthy, then he gets the nod, and Singleton will be used as a PH if necessary…even though I don't know who in that lineup you PH for. I'm happy for Singleton, and his story is awesome, but he has yet to prove himself to be THE every day guy out there. I will say though, I've been impressed with what he's doing defensively.
Class of 2010
Bag
AG
is it too soon to start the Yainer Diaz / Pudge Rodriguez analogues?
Ag_07
AG
Yup

I refer to that HR as a 6th inning walk-off
AgLA06
AG
At this point regardless of contracts, Singleton gives you more than a healthy Abreu. Especially his patience at the plate and defense in the field.
Prosperdick
AG
JDUB08AG said:

texasaggie2015 said:

The second Yordan hit that HR they knew it was over. Body language was telling. At that point nobody was thinking clearly.
The only thing I could think of was Schwarber knew he wasn't going to touch Abreu so might as well try a surprise 2 strike bunt and maybe catch Bregman napping. Who knows but just crazy that the one guy responsible for your only run so far in the game is bunting period.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

While everyone is thinking about lineups, I think most(?) want the top 4 to be some sort of Altuve-Bregman-Tucker-Alvarez combination. Here is an example of why this IMO is so effective. Sure, they are good hitters, but they usually have good at-bats too.

BB/K (min 200 PA)
6. Bregman - 0.96
8. Altuve - 0.89
9. Tucker - 0.88
42. Alvarez - 0.61

You know a starting pitcher doesn't want to deal with 3 players who are damn good at not striking out and drawing walks and still hit for some serious power (.536, .526, & .418)

The only thing I think (haven't looked the numbers lately) you're missing is ground balls / double plays and inability to work a count consistently for Altuve. Bregman working counts and getting on base does no good if it's wiped clean by Altuve. Otherwise he would be hitting second.
CoachAg19
AG
AgLA06 said:

At this point regardless of contracts, Singleton gives you more than a healthy Abreu. Especially his patience at the plate and defense in the field.
Well yes, I agree. I was referring to a healthy Abreu. There's still a good bit of time until the postseason comes around. If he's healthy, I think he gets the nod over Singleton.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yup

I refer to that HR as a 6th inning walk-off
I refer to it as The Dagger
Bag
AG
CoachAg19 said:

And for me, it's Singleton/Abreu. I think if Abreu is healthy, then he gets the nod, and Singleton will be used as a PH if necessary…even though I don't know who in that lineup you PH for. I'm happy for Singleton, and his story is awesome, but he has yet to prove himself to be THE every day guy out there. I will say though, I've been impressed with what he's doing defensively.
getting Brantley back and having Diaz in the lineup makes this the best lineup in the AL imo
W
AG
the Mariners' pitching staff enters tonight's game...

ranked 2nd in MLB in ERA

ranked 1st in WHIP

also ranked 1st in fewest HBP --- only hit 33 batters in 121 games

so any HBP tonight should be looked at as intentional
Farmer1906
AG
Altuve does put the ball on the ground quite a bit. But I don't think we'll ever take him off the lead off spot for Bregman.

You know who leads the team and is one of the top at hitting ground balls? Pena. Man did people want him in that 2 hole.
Farmer1906
AG
Only 1 of the 33 were Astros. Gilbert hit Chas when we played them in July.
CoachAg19
AG
Bag said:

CoachAg19 said:

getting Brantley back and having Diaz in the lineup makes this the best lineup in the AL imo

100% agree. As people say constantly, Brantley is a professional hitter. His consistency in the bottom half of the order would be huge for this team. And Diaz, once he becomes more disciplined in the zone, he's going to be unreal.
Class of 2010
Ag_07
AG
It's gonna get interesting once Mike comes back.

If he's relegated to DH duties then Yanier is gonna have to catch more.

If he gets time in LF Yanier is gonna have to catch more because Yordan will be DHing.

The only way this doesn't lead to Yanier catching more is if Mike plays 1B.
W
AG
speaking of Bregman and double plays...

he's fixed that in the second half

only 3 GIDP's since July 1st

after having 11 GiDP's in April/May/June

note...Carlos is still the AL leader with 23 GiDP's
JDUB08AG
AG
I unfortunately don't see Maldy catching fewer games, so I think this really comes down to Brantley vs. Diaz (as the norm) in the DH spot. Really hope to be proven wrong, but I don't think Dusty is going to do what we want him to.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

If he's relegated to DH duties then Yanier is gonna have to catch more.

Dusty's reaction to this

BTKAG97
AG
Dies Irae said:

Ag_07 said:

Speaking of steroids I watched the Untold episode on BALCO last night.

It's pretty good and at the time it was just background noise for me so it was interesting to hear the whole ordeal and learn the details.

We always knew guys were juicing and they were huge but seeing them compared to how guys look now and it's comical.

And Victor Conte and Barry Bonds are two of the biggest PsOS in sports history

Mark McGwire was one of the most laughable physique changes (along with Bonds) I've ever seen. He literally looked like a cartoon character.

Also, I love Baggy but you'll never convince me he didn't take the needle either

Just got to hit the weight room 8 days a week
Deluxe
AG
JDUB08AG said:

I unfortunately don't see Maldy catching fewer games, so I think this really comes down to Brantley vs. Diaz (as the norm) in the DH spot. Really hope to be proven wrong, but I don't think Dusty is going to do what we want him to.

Yep. It remains to be seen what role Brantley will play when he returns. But when he's in the lineup, it mostly be at the expense of Jake (because Chas will have to play CF more) or Diaz (because DH will be filled by Brantley or Yordan).

I don't think his return will have any impact on Maldy catching JV, Framber and at least half the other starts behind the plate.
First Page Last Page
Page 1763 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.