***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,833 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm pretty sure that's never happened in the history of sports.

It should be completely obvious by now that the pitchers want Maldy. And considering that we have one of the best pitching staffs in the majors, and Maldy is an integral part of that staff, that REALLY should be enough.

A humble person would be able to accept that the pitchers (and Dusty) are much, much much more qualified to make an informed decision in this matter then a bunch of people who have a combined 0 games played at any professional level.

Not that I expect that to actually happen.

Yanier is the future, and he has a bright one. 2023 will be Maldy's victory lap. Let's all hope its one that includes a ring.

That's basically the end of the story. Ya'll keep bithing about it for the next two months if it makes you feel better, but its going to change absolutely nothing.
AggiEE
Silent For Too Long said:

I'm pretty sure that's never happened in the history of sports.

It should be completely obvious by now that the pitchers want Maldy. And considering that we have one of the best pitching staffs in the majors, and Maldy is an integral part of that staff, that REALLY should be enough.

A humble person would be able to accept that the pitchers (and Dusty) are much, much much more qualified to make an informed decision in this matter then a bunch of people who have a combined 0 games played at any professional level.

Not that I expect that to actually happen.

Yanier is the future, and he has a bright one. 2023 will be Maldy's victory lap. Let's all hope its one that includes a ring.

That's basically the end of the story. Ya'll keep bithing about it for the next two months if it makes you feel better, but its going to change absolutely nothing.

This post is nonsense. The stats speak for themselves. You can't ignore it at this point.

Whatever value Maldy brings is purely down to preparation with the pitchers which doesn't require him to be behind the plate
Silent For Too Long
No, the fact that the people whose opinion actually matters keep preferring Maldy speaks for itself.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. Last year all the arm chairs *****ed about Stanehk not being used more. This year we learned why. You simply have to accept that a portion of Yanier's success is that he's being put in ideal situations and isn't having to shoulder the full load. I promise you next year we will see a statistical regression.

Also, we simply don't have hard data to track the aspects of Maldy's game that make the pitchers and coaches prefer him right now. We can either take their word for it, or we can, with hubris filled conviction, insist that we know better.

It's entirely up to you.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Vets preferring vets over rookies. What else is new? Pressly's job is to come in and get guys out in the 9th regardless of who is catching. Yainer sitting back there doesn't make you hang a curveball that gets tagged when you can't locate a fastball for a strike.

Not taking shots at Pressly, specifically, but ffs. I can buy a starter preferring a certain catcher. A reliever that is gonna face 3 batters? You have coaches to help you sort out how to attack them.
redline248
AG
...and here is why players' wives (or players and coaches) should not tweet. Cuz the comments are gonna get you

tailgatetimer10
AG
Presley is biased because we would be ahead by too much with Diaz for him to have any value to the team
rosco511
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

No, the fact that the people whose opinion actually matters keep preferring Maldy speaks for itself.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. Last year all the arm chairs *****ed about Stanehk not being used more. This year we learned why. You simply have to accept that a portion of Yanier's success is that he's being put in ideal situations and isn't having to shoulder the full load. I promise you next year we will see a statistical regression.

Also, we simply don't have hard data to track the aspects of Maldy's game that make the pitchers and coaches prefer him right now. We can either take their word for it, or we can, with hubris filled conviction, insist that we know better.

It's entirely up to you.

So what you are saying is stats do not matter, only wins and losses. Have you seen Maldy's win/loss record when he is behind the plate? His "intangibles" are not correlating to more wins either.
BadAggie
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I hope she deletes that. They may prefer Maldy but this isn't the kind of stuff she should be airing out. We can gripe and moan here or on twitter or wherever (and Ben can too) but that's not a good look to me coming from her... We'll need Yanier to catch Pres and we don't need any more public friction than there already is.

Ryan is that you?
Prosperdick
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I hope she deletes that. They may prefer Maldy but this isn't the kind of stuff she should be airing out. We can gripe and moan here or on twitter or wherever (and Ben can too) but that's not a good look to me coming from her... We'll need Yanier to catch Pres and we don't need any more public friction than there already is.
But Pressly was on a long list of quotes raving about Maldy...it couldn't be that they were directly asked about him and of course they would shower him with praise.

I wonder how much Ryan talks to his mom and maybe privately shares his frustration with Maldy as the everyday starter.

Also, 37 years old, that's a LOT of mileage on Maldy's knees.
maca1028
I've got some badass coworkers! Snagged me a MMP replica while I was out of town
jetch17
AG
picked up some front row Crawfords for the day game next week vs BOS ... oughta be a fun day at the 'office'
Prosperdick
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Presley is biased because we would be ahead by too much with Diaz for him to have any value to the team
You mean except for last night, though, right.
Beerosch
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Typical woman response. All about "feels". How about actual stats and results instead of feels. Feels will have you sitting at home in October.
Dies Irae
maca1028 said:

I've got some badass coworkers! Snagged me a MMP replica while I was out of town

TexAg2001
AG
I completely agree, but just wanted to note that Jan is his mom and not his wife (not that it makes much of a difference)
Dies Irae
TexAg2001 said:

I completely agree, but just wanted to note that Jan is his mom and not his wife (not that it makes much of a difference)

*OEDIPUSREX HAS ENTERED THE CHAT*
tailgatetimer10
AG
I can't help the defense gave up runs on errors. There's exceptions to every rule.
BCEDAg
AG
Jet Black said:

These should be the 9 everyday if Brantley is reading to go:

Altuve
Bregman
Diaz
Alvarez
Brantley
McCormick
Tucker
Peña
Abreu

Tucker batting seventh? No way in hell should he bat that low. Tuck is raking and obviously needs to be in top 4.
Proudag06
AG
BCEDAg said:

Jet Black said:

These should be the 9 everyday if Brantley is reading to go:

Altuve
Bregman
Diaz
Alvarez
Brantley
McCormick
Tucker
Peña
Abreu

Tucker batting seventh? No way in hell should he bat that low. Tuck is raking and obviously needs to be in top 4.

That's not a batting order, just a list

Edit: I assume at least….because we'll it has to be or it would be awful as a batting lineup
Panama Red
AG
It is also awful as "just a list" to wait to name Tucker 7th
texasaggie2015
AG
Some Astros related ramblings on a Wednesday morning...

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when/if Jose Abreu comes back. I was told he's been battling this issue since Spring Training. It's one of those ailments that comes and goes.. and I think we sort of saw that with his performance. There were a handful of times this year it looked like he was heating up and then he would just go ice cold again. I think that was when his back would flare up.

Honestly it makes sense. He's a very good player and he's been one of the best hitters in baseball for a while. Father time is undefeated, but I always found it hard to believe that it just happened overnight for him.

I don't know if he was hiding it or if the Astros were aware and he just wanted to push through it. But that makes me feel somewhat better about next year if he can get fully healthy.

If he can get healthy before the end of the year and just be 75% of what he's been in previous years, that would be a tremendous boost to the lineup. You just never know with those back injuries.

It was a quick but encouraging outing for Rafael Montero. If he can continue to be good, it will feel like a deadline acquisition in itself. He's still having some control issues but he's been much better than he was in May and June. I almost wonder if he was tipping pitches. I may see if I can get some intel on that because I'm curious. Maybe Farmer or someone more savvy than me can find a chart showing his location and pitch mix over the last two months.

It was also good to see Hunter Brown come out of the pen and do well. A couple of those young starters will probably pitch big innings out of the bullpen in October, and if they can do well in those spots that's going to be so big for the Astros.

I don't have an update on Altuve, but last I heard he just has a massive bruise that was just too painful to play on last night. I can't blame him after seeing it live. I expect him to have a day off today and be back in the lineup on Friday... but he hasn't been ruled out today yet so we'll see. I have tickets for Saturday and selfishly want to see hit #2,000 in person, but I want to see a winning streak even more.

I don't want to beat the dead horse, but after seeing Yainer Diaz go deep again yesterday there just isn't a reason to not have him in the lineup every day. It doesn't always have to be behind the plate - stick him at DH if you have to. They aren't high on his defense at first base but honestly the lineup needs his pop so badly I don't really care at this point. I love the Jon Singleton story and I hope he gets opportunities but I don't think he's the answer.

I absolutely loved seeing Uncle Mike homer last night. I know I've said all season that I'm hearing from multiple people that he wouldn't be back. I reached out to one last night and he said everyone is just as surprised as we are. He's made a lot of progress over the last couple weeks and he wanted to give it a shot. I'll still be very pleasantly surprised to see him contribute but believe me when I say I hope to be wrong.

And last thing for now... it's starting to look like Jeremy Pena is getting a little more comfortable at the plate. He's got some base hits and he's laid off some pitches he would normally chase. Hopefully the personal issues he was dealing with have resolved and he's able to buckle down and focus. And hopefully these base hits start finding the gaps soon. That would also do wonders for this lineup.

I am such a dork for thinking about all this during my whole commute.. and then getting to the office and typing it out. Go 'Stros.

BCEDAg
AG
If Brantley does return here's my prediction on batting order:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena
redline248
AG
BCEDAg said:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena

Dusty would never bat 3 lefties in a row
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Hopefully the personal issues he was dealing with have resolved and he's able to buckle down and focus.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but this is first I've heard of this

Any more you can elaborate on? At the least when did these come up?
texasaggie2015
AG
I think I touched on it a week or so ago- but I'm not going to say more than he had some things going on in his personal life. Hopefully things are better.
R-Dog
AG
He mentioned it several weeks ago that Peña is dealing with some off the field issues but I don't think there is any other info available
BadAggie
AG
TexAg2001 said:

Rule no. 1
Proudag06
AG
Would love Brantley to come back and produce but it is only a net positive if Dusty will put Diaz in the field regularly and he's almost certainly not going to. And for as good as a healthy Brantley would look in this lineup (replacing someone like Dubon/Meyers/Singleton) he won't be an upgrade over Diaz.

Diaz has an OPS of .812 (and it's only going up, last 30 games is almost .900). Brantley hasn't had an OPS above .800 since 2020. He has also only hit more HR 2 times in his career than Yainer has already this year (in half the ABs).

So, unfortunately, if a healthy Brantley who hits at his career average (which is extremely optimistic) returns….we get worse unless Diaz is inserted into the field.

AgHawkeye
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Vets preferring vets over rookies. What else is new? Pressly's job is to come in and get guys out in the 9th regardless of who is catching. Yainer sitting back there doesn't make you hang a curveball that gets tagged when you can't locate a fastball for a strike.

Not taking shots at Pressly, specifically, but ffs. I can buy a starter preferring a certain catcher. A reliever that is gonna face 3 batters? You have coaches to help you sort out how to attack them.

After the last strike out last night Pressley and Diaz seemed to be joking around with big smiles on both their faces. I know that means nothing but it is not like they hate it when Diaz is catching. This whole deal is just getting to the weird point.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
BCEDAg said:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Yordan
Diaz
Mccormick
Brantley
Singleton
Peña

If maldy starts bat him 9. But yordan or brantley need to play left.
BadAggie
AG
So does Maldy provide a hot towel and a smoke after?

AustinCountyAg
hypothetical Brantley lineup from my lineup card

1.Tuve
2. Breggy
3. Tuck
4. Yordan
5. Diaz
6. Brantley
7.Chaz
8. Singleton/Abreu
9. Pena

Mr.Bond
AG
redline248 said:

...and here is why players' wives (or players and coaches) should not tweet. Cuz the comments are gonna get you

Ding ding ding
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Proudag06 said:

Would love Brantley to come back and produce but it is only a net positive if Dusty will put Diaz in the field regularly and he's almost certainly not going to. And for as good as a healthy Brantley would look in this lineup (replacing someone like Dubon/Meyers/Singleton) he won't be an upgrade over Diaz.

Diaz has an OPS of .812 (and it's only going up, last 30 games is almost .900). Brantley hasn't had an OPS above .800 since 2020. He has also only hit more HR 2 times in his career than Yainer has already this year (in half the ABs).

So, unfortunately, if a healthy Brantley who hits at his career average (which is extremely optimistic) returns….we get worse unless Diaz is inserted into the field.

I agree with your general premise. If we are just replacing Diaz's DH appearances for Brantey's DH plate appearances then we're missing an actual opportunity to get better.

However, the comparison of Diaz's & Brantley's OPS highlights the issue with OPS. It overvalues slugging. That is why Brantley has a better wOBA.

From 2022-now
Stat - Diaz / Brantley
OBP - .370 / .289
SLG - .416 / .511
OPS - .776 / .801
wOBA - .334 / .345
Off WAR - 2.3 / 7.7
wRC+ - 127 / 114 (this one is a little unfair since offense is up this year)

AustinCountyAg
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/martin-maldonado-455117?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yainer-diaz-673237?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

makes me want to vomit knowing Maldy gets to play at all on this team.
First Page Last Page
Page 1733 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.