***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,511 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
for the Immaculate Gridders out there, Astros are featured today.
JYDog90
AG
redline248 said:

...and here is why players' wives (or players and coaches) should not tweet. Cuz the comments are gonna get you

I wonder if this isn't so much AGAINST Diaz as it is they feel like it's a slight against Maldy and she writes this stuff thinking that it will show that Maldy is supported and appreciated.
texasaggie2015
AG
I went with Astros legends Sean Bergman and Kent Bottenfield.. though I strongly considered Donne Wall for Astros/Padres
Marvin
AG
spadilly said:

I look at it from time to time, but that thread has more BS than the Politics forum. No way guys complete those grids without looking up rosters and stats. They pull out a dude that played six months for a team in 1974 and claim 9/9. Yeah, ok.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
McInnis
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I absolutely loved seeing Uncle Mike homer last night. I know I've said all season that I'm hearing from multiple people that he wouldn't be back. I reached out to one last night and he said everyone is just as surprised as we are. He's made a lot of progress over the last couple weeks and he wanted to give it a shot. I'll still be very pleasantly surprised to see him contribute but believe me when I say I hope to be wrong.

I asked you about Brantley a few weeks ago and you said your contacts were saying he might return but that they weren't counting on it and it would be a nice surprise if he did. I'm guessing that didn't change too much based on one good AB yesterday.

He played a little first base during his first rehab back in April, wouldn't it be awesome if he could come back and play there. I know it seems unrealistic now, but he has a way of making the game of baseball look easy, which is pretty rare.
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha me and a buddy of mine are complete dorks and can consistently score below 50. Sometimes single digits. We'll sit on it all day though. It's pretty pathetic how I can remember a random journeymen reliever from the late 90s who had a brief stint with a random team but I can't remember the more important things in life
rosco511
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/martin-maldonado-455117?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yainer-diaz-673237?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

makes me want to vomit knowing Maldy gets to play at all on this team.

These numbers show that Diaz just has a rare skill and ability to just hit the ball hard. If he develops any type of plate discipline, he will be ultra elite. Crazy that he cannot get more consistent at bats on day to day basis regardless of position.
BadAggie
AG
Crane didn't like the cut of the jib of the guy who got wunderkind Diaz and Brother Phil from the Tribe for Myles Straw, the World's Fastest Caucasian.

Also I thought they were still the Indians when that trade was made?
CoachAg19
AG
rosco511 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/martin-maldonado-455117?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yainer-diaz-673237?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

These numbers show that Diaz just has a rare skill and ability to just hit the ball hard. If he develops any type of plate discipline, he will be ultra elite. Crazy that he cannot get more consistent at bats on day to day basis regardless of position.
I've said this many times, but Bregman has the best eye for the zone in the entire league from what I've seen. He VERY rarely chases out of the zone. If I were Diaz, I'd be all in Bregman's ear constantly getting advice.
All I do is Nguyen
BCEDAg said:

If Brantley does return here's my prediction on batting order:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena

I would swap Pena and singleton but yes this lineup would be fantastic
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
W
AG
that is definitely a "Click = genius" trade
BadAggie
AG
If Brantley is able to return is not the clutch postseason homer guaranteed?

Boiling Denim
This is all starting to sound like Maldy is the person in the group that does all the work for the school project and we have quite a few guys that are letting him do all the leg work for them. I don't doubt they prefer him if it means they have to do extra work without him.
AgLA06
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

BCEDAg said:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena

I would swap Pena and singleton but yes this lineup would be fantastic
We'd all like to.

Unfortunately, Pena hasn't allowed it yet. There's signs he's coming around, but at the moment Chaz and Singleton give you the better opportunity for keeping a big inning going with extra bas hits. And Pena is really only giving you speed at the bottom of the order as a second lead off man.

It's no different than Bregman has all the tools to be your lead off guy and put the pressure on by getting on base. Unfortunately, his lack of speed doesn't allow it. That's why he's been more of a place setter for the sluggers with power. Altuve is too much of a free swinger for leadoff. You want your top 2 taking pitches and working counts instead of swinging at the first pitch, but right now he's the best option.
spadilly
S
For sure!
I'm absolutely stuck in the late 90s/early 00s when I play.
If it isn't the Astros, I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to current players.
CFTXAG10
AG
R-Dog said:

He mentioned it several weeks ago that Peña is dealing with some off the field issues but I don't think there is any other info available
I am guilty of this too, but sometimes we forget about the life these guys have outside of baseball and how it affects them throughout the season. Of course they are professionals, but some things still weigh heavy. Julks went through some hard stuff too in the weeks leading up to his AAA assignment.
Ag_07
AG
I play it most days but I'm lucky if I even get 7/9 nd most days I'm in the 4-5 range. But I also only spend about 15 mins on it as I drink my first cup of coffee.

But I agree...No way everyone over there is getting 9/9 every day.

FWIW I think it'd be more fun if you didn't lose a turn for a correct answer.
Prosperdick
AG
rosco511 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Reminds me of Lance Berkman when he first came up and Biggio said he just had "crazy pop" off his bat. That's Diaz (of course without the switch hitting).

Just think how silly we will look if Diaz goes on to have a Berkman-like career yet we were sitting him in exchange for one of the worst hitting position players in modern history (who also can no longer throw out runners nor block or frame pitches). F***ing madness!
CFTXAG10
AG
spadilly said:

clean 3/3 sweep on the Astros line, then 0/6 on the rest
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
My God, Click absolutely smashed Cleveland with that Straw trade.
spadilly
S
BCEDAg said:

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Singleton
McCormick
Pena

And when JV/Framber pitch?

Altuve
Brantley
Tucker
Alvarez
Bregman
Peña
Dubon
Singleton
Maldy

I guess?
Farmer1906
AG

The WORST farm in baseball. It's okay we were 29th in 2021 and 2022. Since then we called up Chas McCormick, Bryan Abreu, Luis Garcia, Jeremy Pena, Yainer Diaz, Hunter Brown, & JP France.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2023-midseason-system-rankings?partnerID=web_article-share

Quote:

Since we expanded our system rankings to all 30 clubs before the 2020 season, we've never rated the Astros higher than 27th. Yet they've extended their streak of playoff appearances to a franchise-record six, winning a pair of pennants and a World Series, and produced three players who received Rookie of the Year votes (Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia, Jeremy Peña) and three more who may this year (Hunter Brown, Yainer Diaz, J.P. France). They traded their two best prospects (outfielders Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford) in the Justin Verlander homecoming in July, yet the strength of their system remains outfielders (Jacob Melton, Luis Baez and Co.) and underrated arms (starting with Spencer Arrighetti).

Boiling Denim
So we held serve last night as all our competition won as well

So Bochy runs his C lineup out here today right…right?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Guilty here as well. I cannot remember people's names to save my life, buy I retain encyclopedic knowledge of baseball stats and sports facts as well as the lyrics to every song I hear.

I would gladly trade some of the trivial data and start failing on Immaculate Grid for memory of more important things if I could.
BadAggie
AG
Pressley is losing control of his household. Good grief.
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

You think he lives with his mom still?
Beau Holder
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Bochy actually cares about winning, which is why he won three titles over his career instead of having to get carried to one by a 106-win behemoth with an all-time bullpen performance.
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The WORST farm in baseball. It's okay we were 29th in 2021 and 2022. Since then we called up Chas McCormick, Bryan Abreu, Luis Garcia, Jeremy Pena, Yainer Diaz, Hunter Brown, & JP France.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2023-midseason-system-rankings?partnerID=web_article-share

Since we expanded our system rankings to all 30 clubs before the 2020 season, we've never rated the Astros higher than 27th. Yet they've extended their streak of playoff appearances to a franchise-record six, winning a pair of pennants and a World Series, and produced three players who received Rookie of the Year votes (Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia, Jeremy Peña) and three more who may this year (Hunter Brown, Yainer Diaz, J.P. France). They traded their two best prospects (outfielders Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford) in the Justin Verlander homecoming in July, yet the strength of their system remains outfielders (Jacob Melton, Luis Baez and Co.) and underrated arms (starting with Spencer Arrighetti).

Exactly. If teams' prospects are that good why aren't they in the big league already?
Beat40

Erasing my comment. I'm tired of all the Maldy talk and don't want to contribute further to it.
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BadAggie said:

You think he lives with his mom still?

Well Linus apparently needs his Maldy blanket so it's possible.
Farmer1906
AG
Astros Most Valuable Pitches (Runs Above Avg)

4 Seam
16. Ryne Stanek - 8.9
49. Cristian Javier - 5.4

Cutter
41. Luis Garcia - 2.4
49. Matt Gage - 2.0

Splitter
9. Hector Neris - 4.6
49. Hunter Brown - -0.1

Sinker
1. Framber Valdez - 16.1 (5th best out of all pitches)

Slider
15. Ryan Pressly - 9.1
17. Bryan Abreu - 8.9
21. Justin Verlander - 8.0
38. Kendall Graveman - 4.8

Curve
11. Framber Valdez - 4.7
15. Phil Maton - 4.2
37. Jose Urquidy - 2.4
39. J.P. France - 2.4
48. Ryan Pressly - 1.8
38. Ronel Blanco - 6.4

Changeup
9. J.P. France - 7.7
41. Brandon Bielak - 3.2
R-Dog
AG
Beau Holder said:

Boiling Denim said:

Bochy actually cares about winning, which is why he won three titles over his career instead of having to get carried to one by a 106-win behemoth with an all-time bullpen performance.
I know our injuries have played a role, but I would be real curious to know how many different lineups Bochy has used this year compared to how many we have used.
Beat40
R-Dog said:

Beau Holder said:

Boiling Denim said:

I know our injuries have played a role, but I would be real curious to know how many different lineups Bochy has used this year compared to how many we have used.
How are you defining different line-ups, because giving guys off days are different line-ups. Might be closer than you think from that regard.
AggiEE
BadAggie said:

I agree with Pressly's mom, she's just pointing out the obvious and is free to speak her mind
Farmer1906
AG
R-Dog said:

Beau Holder said:

Boiling Denim said:

Rangers - 76 Defensive Lineups & 84 batting lineups
Astros - 82 Defensive Lineups & 104 batting lineups.

Only 3 lineups have been used more than twice.

First Page Last Page
Page 1734 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.