***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,944 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get the idea of calling up Hensley as the backup 1B with Abreu hitting the DL, er "IL" but his OPS with the AAA Dulces has been .723 let alone recalling his abysmal stint earlier this season.

As discussed Diaz has experience playing 1B and, oh yeah, has an OPS of .810 in MLB.

Kinda surprised Matijevic didn't get the call, an OPS of .827 though yes his last big league stint was...garbage outside of a blast v Cole in Yankee Stadium.

Interesting to see the current philosophy with the call ups and send downs, it took Julks flatlining for over a month in MLB for him to get the hook.

Makes sense Dirden hasn't gotten a look based on performance.

BadAggie
AG
Naturally Joe Kelly, likely illiterate, had someone write a book for him:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1635768896/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=1635768896&pd_rd_w=TZyWN&content-id=amzn1.sym.0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pf_rd_p=0d1092dc-81bb-493f-8769-d5c802257e94&pf_rd_r=6V9AKY7HQ6W6H5GTG728&pd_rd_wg=ma49N&pd_rd_r=23dd2dff-0ded-485a-b48b-94d03badf2ea&s=books&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy
Post removed:
by user
BadAggie
AG
Bligh Madris, demon be gone.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

I get the idea of calling up Hensley as the backup 1B with Abreu hitting the DL, er "IL" but his OPS with the AAA Dulces has been .723 let alone recalling his abysmal stint earlier this season.

As discussed Diaz has experience playing 1B and, oh yeah, has an OPS of .810 in MLB.

Kinda surprised Matijevic didn't get the call, an OPS of .827 though yes his last big league stint was...garbage outside of a blast v Cole in Yankee Stadium.

Interesting to see the current philosophy with the call ups and send downs, it took Julks flatlining for over a month in MLB for him to get the hook.

Remember that JJ was DFA'd after spring training, so calling him up would require a 40 man move
tjack16
AG
We really need the sweep today. I dont think the giants will help us out so need to just stay at 2.5
Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

Dusty's bias against Diaz and Chas this year along with overplaying Maldy and splitting up Yordan and Tuck has easily cost this team half a dozen wins and I don't care what any baseball analytics tool says about it.

Dusty has FINALLY seen the light about batting Yordan and Tuck together and seems to have gotten past his ill will towards Chas. If he can finally get over his Diaz hate our lineup will be optimized every night.

Now if he can only learn to give a quick hook when a starter or reliever clearly needs to be pulled.
JYDog90
AG
I'm not the baseball mind that some of y'all are so I'm curious about the Yordan-Tucker thing back to back.

I always heard that if you've got a righty heavy lineup you don't want your lefties batting back to back because you could just bring in a lefty reliever for those two (now 3 because they have to stay in 3 batters) and then go back righty.

Is that not a thing anymore? I get you want protection for your power hitter and Tuck is certainly that, but just wondering what trumps what.
Farmer1906
AG
The offense and trending very nicely.

wRC+
Mar/Arp - 95
May - 98
June - 110
July - 111
Aug - 126
BMX Bandit
Quote:

always heard that if you've got a righty heavy lineup you don't want your lefties batting back to back because you could just bring in a lefty reliever for those two (now 3 because they have to stay in 3 batters) and then go back righty.

Both kill left handed pitchers, so doesn't matter
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Both of our lefties hit lefties even better than righties, so not only does the usual consideration not matter, but we actually WANT managers to bring in lefties against us. It is an effective trap as Yordan and Tucker destroy lefty relievers time and again.
Prosperdick
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I'm not the baseball mind that some of y'all are so I'm curious about the Yordan-Tucker thing back to back.

I always heard that if you've got a righty heavy lineup you don't want your lefties batting back to back because you could just bring in a lefty reliever for those two (now 3 because they have to stay in 3 batters) and then go back righty.

Is that not a thing anymore? I get you want protection for your power hitter and Tuck is certainly that, but just wondering what trumps what.
It's still a "thing" and in 95% of cases it's a wise strategy. The problem occurs when your two best hitters are both left-handed AND hit lefties BETTER than righties. This way you bait the old school manager to bring in his situational lefty and it usually backfires spectacularly.

It took Dusty a LONG time to figure this out.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
In fairness, I am still not sure he has "figured it out".

Discussion of particular splits is just fan stuff after all.
Prosperdick
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

In fairness, I am still not sure he has "figured it out".

Discussion of particular splits is just fan stuff after all.
Very true and the fact that Dusty's thinking aligns much more closely with the casual fan makes all his "fan stuff" quips that much more infuriating.

We're 18 games over .500 DESPITE Dusty and should be closer to around 25 games over .500 if we still had AJ or even Espada managing this team.

Anyway, I know this discussion angers some on this board so I'll stop now. Hey, I haven't once called him Donkey since he finally put Yordan and Tucker back-to-back.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

wRC+
Mar/Arp - 95
May - 98
June - 110
July - 111
Aug - 126

A few factors IMO

Diaz and Chas getting regular playing time, Yordan/Tucker in top 4 of lineup, Pena moved back down.
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

wRC+
Mar/Arp - 95
May - 98
June - 110
July - 111
Aug - 126

A few factors IMO

Diaz and Chas getting regular playing time, Yordan/Tucker in top 4 of lineup, Pena moved back down.

I mean having Altuve and Yordan in the lineup together makes a difference too.
Silent For Too Long
I'm sorry brother, but there simply is no way he has cost us a dozen wins.

He's a plus win manager for his career. Five thirty eight has articles objectively analyzing this. Google it.

As far as Maldy is concerned, a future hall of fame manager, a future hall of fame Pitcher, and a perennial all star pitcher, all prefer him behind the dish. Shouldn't that be enough to queue in that maybe, just maybe, his encyclopediac knowledge on batter weaknesses, and his ability to keep pitchers locked in, more then make up for his lack of hitting?

I'm just saying. I love Diaz. He's clearly the Astros future. But the fact that very, very proven Baseball veterans are choosing to stick with Maldy screams that he's providing a big boost to the team that doesn't show up on boxscores?

And, IDEALLY, sending Diaz a message that his peers strongly prefer a catcher with Maldy's studios approach should develope him into a better all around catcher?

Just my thoughts on the subject based off available data. Their has to be a reason Kate, Dusty, and Framber all want him. Maybe we just eat some humble pie on this subject and accept there are things we simply aren't privy too that those in the know are?

And relax?

And enjoy the season?
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

wRC+
Mar/Arp - 95
May - 98
June - 110
July - 111
Aug - 126

A few factors IMO

Getting Jose and Yordan back and Jose and Tucker killing it made August happen.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It cannot be stated enough how much malpractoce Dusty had been guilty of and how much difference it makes doing 2 simple things:
1. Putting players without sub .300 OBP in the first two spots of the order, and
2. Putting his best two hitters back to back to drive them in.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

We're 18 games over .500 DESPITE Dusty and should be closer to around 25 games over .500 if we still had AJ or even Espada managing this team.

Baseless conjecture.

No one would have predicted we'd be where we are with all the injuries sustained. While Dusty's lineups are perplexing, he's done a great job holding this team together and in line with good chance to still win division
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

wRC+
Mar/Arp - 95
May - 98
June - 110
July - 111
Aug - 126

A few factors IMO

I mean having Altuve and Yordan in the lineup together makes a difference too.

True. But also getting that extra at bat potentially from Alvarez each game by moving him up 2 spots helps the stats out. And with 1-5 being our best hitters it gives the pitchers no breathing room.
Prosperdick
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

I'm sorry brother, but there simply is noo way he has cost us a dozen wins.

He's a plus win manager for his career. Five thirty eight has articles objectively analyzing this. Google it.

As far as Maldy is concerned, a future hall pf fame manager, a future hall of fame Pitcher, and a perennial all star pitcher, all prefer him behind the dish. Shouldn't that be enough to queue in that maybe, just maybe, his encyclopediac knowledge on batter weaknesses, and his ability to keep pitchers locked in, more then make up for his lack of hitting?

I'm just saying. I love Diaz. He's clearly the Astros future. But the fact that very,very proven Baseball veterans are choosing to stick with Maldy screams that he's providing a big boost to the team that doesn't show up on boxscores?

And, IDEALLY, sending Diaz a message hat his peers strongly prefer a catcher with Maldy's studios approach should develope him into a better all around catcher?

Just my thoughts on the subject based off available data. Their has to be a reason Kate, Dusty, and Framber all want him. Maybe we just eat some humble pie on this subject and accept there are things we simply aren't privy too that those in the know are?

And relax?

And enjoy the season?
Sigh...first of all, I had said half a dozen. There's a BIG difference between 6 and 12 wins. He's been a manager of supremely talented teams throughout his career and that plays a big part of it. Look at AJ as skipper for us versus Detroit.

As for Maldy's encyclopedic knowledge of batter weaknesses, surely that translates to ERA and WHIP behind the plate compared to when Diaz catches....OOPS, it doesn't. Certainly didn't need Maldy's wizardry when we threw a combined no hitter in the World Series but whatever.

Also, Maldy leads the league in passed balls and his machete is certainly in need of sharpening, especially compared to Diaz, who has thrown out TWICE as many runners comparatively.

As to pitcher preference, I've said several times I absolutely want Maldy catching Framber, you'll get no argument from me there. As to JV's preference, it's likely familiarity but I could see JV getting frustrated eventually if he has a few more 3-1 or 3-2 losses hung around his neck (at least last game we mashed).

The rest of the staff don't have the juice to dictate who they pitch to so that's all on Dusty.

Bottom line, he's finally got the lineup right, something we've been begging him to do for MONTHS so that's a huge positive. Maldy's bat is starting to get a little warm so hopefully that will mitigate some of Dusty's stubborness.
Prosperdick
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Baseless conjecture.

No one would have predicted we'd be where we are with all the injuries sustained. While Dusty's lineups are perplexing, he's done a great job holding this team together and in line with good chance to still win division
Wrong...his lineup construction f***ed this team for months. If you can't see that I can't help you and I'm tired of rehashing it.

Pitchers LOVED having a breather at the 2 hole in our lineup (Pena) and the 4 hole (Breggy, obviously when he was struggling) and knew when Yordan led off an inning they could simply walk him and even if they got into trouble there was always a Julks or Maldy to get them out of a jam.

It was borderline criminal to have one of the best hitters in the league closer to the bottom of the lineup than the top. That's ALL on Dusty. If that's "holding this team together" I really wish we had someone else.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe
AG
Prosperdick said:

As to JV's preference, it's likely familiarity but I could see JV getting frustrated eventually if he has a few more 3-1 or 3-2 losses hung around his neck (at least last game we mashed).
There is no circumstance by which JV would request that Diaz catch him instead of Maldy.
Prosperdick
AG
Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

As to JV's preference, it's likely familiarity but I could see JV getting frustrated eventually if he has a few more 3-1 or 3-2 losses hung around his neck (at least last game we mashed).
There is no circumstance by which JV would request that Diaz catch him instead of Maldy.
I'm sure they have a great relationship but if Maldy has a few pass balls, let runners steal on him at will and earns a few golden sombrero's, which cost JV some wins, you don't think he wouldn't tap Dusty on the shoulder and tell him to give Maldy a day off. Yeah, I guess Verlander is just that sentimental.
Deluxe
AG
Prosperdick said:

I'm sure they have a great relationship but if Maldy has a few pass balls, let runners steal on him at will and earns a few golden sombrero's, which cost JV some wins, you don't think he wouldn't tap Dusty on the shoulder and tell him to give Maldy a day off. Yeah, I guess Verlander is just that sentimental.
Nope. And it has nothing to do with sentimentality.
AgLA06
AG
Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

Well, then you'll have to enlighten us because it has absolutely nothing to do with performance.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

Well, then you'll have to enlighten us because it has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

It has been explained over and over, but you guys don't like the answer and for some reason can imagine it to be true.
CoachAg19
AG
Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

You may have some sort of inside info that I don't, but I respectfully disagree. This whole "personal catcher" thing is so goofy, IMO. Especially for a guy like JV. Kalas and Blummer even discussed the other night on the broadcast how JV calls his own games or picks his own pitches. They mentioned how you will see JV on the mound shaking off Maldy's calls until Maldy gives him what he wants to throw. It isn't Maldy calling the game with JV on the mound. It's JV. So what exactly is it that Maldy is doing, or perhaps that Diaz isn't doing, that would make JV want to have a statistically worse (offensively and defensively) player back there???
Class of 2010
Ag_07
AG

Quote:

you don't think he wouldn't tap Dusty on the shoulder and tell him to give Maldy a day off

I've seen this thought that JV is dictating lineup decisions a few times since his return and I'm pretty sure this is not the case.

JV isn't telling Dusty who to play when.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

No excuse to not go 2-1 or sweep that series.
AgLA06
AG
Beat40 said:

AgLA06 said:

Deluxe said:

Prosperdick said:

It has been explained over and over, but you guys don't like the answer and for some reason can imagine it to be true.

Which part? Where Maldy is one of the worst defensive catchers in the league? Or where Maldy is the worst offensive catcher in the league?

rosco511
AG
There are no stats that support Maldy playing this much at this point. This reminds of the he just wins argument for starting QBs who do not put up good stats, except even the team win stat is not in Maldy' s favor.

Sometimes managers have to make the hard decision and play the better younger player. We have a guy who could have been the rookie of the year if given regular playing opportunity and who is clearly a top 10 catcher being a backup to a guy who is the next to last catcher in the league in defensive metrics and the worst (or at least bottom 5) hitter in the entire league.
First Page Last Page
Page 1676 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.