***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,510,923 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Bevers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was honestly impressed Singleton didn't K in that last at bat. He also got robbed in his 1st AB.
Farmer1906
AG
Made a mistake and updated my post.
Beat40
Boiling Denim said:

Beat40 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Satellite of Love said:

Danwell Home said:

Damn, that Diaz hit hurts
Keeping Hunter in after 6 hurt...

Yep I would rather have HB capped at 6 innings, France in the rotation and Urquidy in the pen versus trying to push these guys an extra inning to save the bullpen.

When appropriate, I want HB going beyond 6 innings to learn how to pitch deep. He should have just been batter to batter in that situation, but I am all for the kid figuring out how to finish the 7th.

Meh he may not have 3 times through the lineup stuff. Blake Snell is putting a Cy Young season together this year and is averaging less than 6 IP a game
You yourself said may not. We don't know that until he tries. If you never give him the opportunity, no one ever knows. The organization needs to find out if he can.
Beat40
The biggest take away for me from that series is the Astros team that played that series felt like last year's Astros.

Hopefully Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, and Tucker stay healthy the rest of the way now. If so, could be a special 2nd half of August and September.
Mathguy64
AG
It would be nice not to have an august swoon.
Farmer1906
AG
We get two lefties Fri-Sat. They get JV and JP.

Maybe another start opportunity for Singleton on Sunday.

No reason Diaz can't catch France & Urquidy either.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It would be nice not to have an august swoon.
We avoided it in 2019 and 2022.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

We get two lefties Fri-Sat. They get JV and JP.

Maybe another start opportunity for Singleton on Sunday.

No reason Diaz can't catch France & Urquidy either.
I hope he catches France and Urquidy. Probably with catching France is what you mentioned, which is a left opposing him. We know what that means.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Have they stated that JP will start over Urquidy?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Both starting. Sat-Sun.
Beat40
ttha_aggie_09 said:

6-man rotation was announced, so they both will pitch.
W
AG
Guardians win 4-3

Astros....66-50

Blue Jays...65-52

Mariners...62-52
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Both starting. Sat-Sun.

I really wish they would do a tandem. But they have stopped asking my opinion for some reason.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Because our new manager doesn't do Math
Ag_07
AG
W
AG
Seattle and Toronto split their 6 games during the season

so the tiebreaker is division record

Mariners would win that going away since the Blue Jays are only 11-23 vs. their own division
Boiling Denim
Robert Ford had an interview with one of our quality coaches before the game and he made a reference to the Potato Catcher as a reason he got called up. I had to look it up as I hadn't heard this one yet. It's a classic

https://www.mlb.com/news/catcher-uses-potato-in-baseball-game
BadAggie
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

I think the most frustrating thing is you can see in series like these that this team SHOULD have the best record in the MLB, but for some reason (I wonder what it is) they can't play to their potential for what seems like half their games

But for the injuries this team would have the best record in the AL and a comfortable division lead.

Key now is staying healthy and playing well. They just took 2 out of 3 against the best AL record at their place.
txags92
AG
BadAggie said:

Maroon&Fight said:

I think the most frustrating thing is you can see in series like these that this team SHOULD have the best record in the MLB, but for some reason (I wonder what it is) they can't play to their potential for what seems like half their games

But for the injuries this team would have the best record in the AL and a comfortable division lead.

Key now is staying healthy and playing well. They just took 2 out of 3 against the best AL record at their place.
Need to start playing as well at home as we do on the road and we will win the AL going away.
Maroon&Fight
Dusty definitely left Brown in for that extra inning to ensure Diaz didn't have a perfect day in every way
Ag_07
AG
That was a great interview.

I think his title is Game Strategy Coach. Basically what should our approach be at the plate against certain pitchers and on the mound against certain hitters. Up until this year he was a FO guy but they made the decision to put him on staff so he could be in the dugout to answer questions on the fly.

The guy was a D3 college player but got his start in the baseball industry because he knew baseball and could code.
agdaddy04
AG
Altuve was batting 277 on 8/3 and now is at 305. That's an incredible hot streak, and is going to help them win most series.
BadAggie
AG
Frustrating loss today but big takeaway from this series is that Baltimore's bullpen, one of their top strengths, was exposed.

They have some nice hitters. Their effing ballpark is a strength for them, would not be surprised to find their adjusted outfield wall dimensions suit their lineup but penalize opponents.

BadAggie
AG
I get all the quaint baseball nostalgia about every park having different dimensions but being the only sport with varying playing field dimensions is stupid, at least for a professional sport.
Ag_07
AG
I think that's one thing that makes baseball great. I couldn't imagine how boring it would be if every park was the exact same. No thanks
Mathguy64
AG
BadAggie said:

I get all the quaint baseball nostalgia about every park having different dimensions but being the only sport with varying playing field dimensions is stupid, at least for a professional sport.

Meh. The important parts are the same for everyone. Same size infield. Same size mound. Same distances to the mound and bases.

And everyone plays with the same baseballs. Oh wait. No they don't. Aaron and Albert get different ones. Let's scratch that.

So it's mostly all the same.
JDUB08AG
AG
I will always appreciate Andruw Jones face planting on Tals hill.
BadAggie
AG
Nolan Ryan got into fights when he was an Astro.

South Oklahoma is easily amused.
Ag_07
AG
Is this supposed to be smack talk?

Because you do realize that Nolan got into the most iconic baseball fight ever in a Ranger uniform don't you?
Chef Elko
AG
Singleton must have changed his stance over the years. He has a straight up Bagwell stance
Mose Schrute
AG
BadAggie said:

Nope. It's awesome.
FrioAg 00
AG
By the way, I owe this thread an apology.

About 6 months ago during the off season I commented that I almost felt bad for the Rangers and I thought it would be really cool if they got better and actually gave us some competition.

I was absolutely wrong. Their delusion and obnoxiousness really isn't cool at all.
fullback44
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is what happens when you play a team full of hitters !
texasaggie2015
AG
BadAggie said:

Yeah….no.
First Page Last Page
Page 1638 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.