***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,510,320 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think that's one thing that makes baseball great. I couldn't imagine how boring it would be if every park was the exact same. No thanks

I can. Back in the 80's there were a ton of multipurpose, cookie-cutter parks that were all the same. Think Oakland and extrapolate that over half the league. Some were lucky to have a dome, like Houston, but that was the only difference.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
not to mention making a field the same as others in place such as Denver…
gougler08
AG
BadAggie said:

I get all the quaint baseball nostalgia about every park having different dimensions but being the only sport with varying playing field dimensions is stupid, at least for a professional sport.

Soccer fields are different dimensions
jkag89
BadAggie said:

I get all the quaint baseball nostalgia about every park having different dimensions but being the only sport with varying playing field dimensions is stupid, at least for a professional sport.
Do you realize how unworkable this would be to get every current MLB stadium to have the same exact field dimensions? Same foul territory? The same fence heights in every part of each and every park?

For many years NHL rinks were not standardized and even today North American rinks are smaller than those required for International hockey. Soccer does not have a standardized pitch even for International matches, length can vary from 110 yards to 120 yard and width can vary from 70 to 80 yards.. Cricket pitches vary in size. What about golf? Should every course be the same? What about horse and auto racing?
W
AG
Cardinals help out the cause tonight...

pin another loss on the Rays (69-48)
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So we'll have a quality call-up in 2026. Yay?!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The story of how Eric Kratz made $2k taking a dive at player intros on opening day with the Astros
Dies Irae
The orioles are going to be scary good. In addition to their already badass team. They have 6 prospects in the top 50. Sucking for a long time has benefits
Farmer1906
AG
Is this good?

JDUB08AG
AG
Dies Irae said:

The orioles are going to be scary good. In addition to their already badass team. They have 6 prospects in the top 50. Sucking for a long time has benefits

Not for all teams.
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Dies Irae said:

Not for all teams.

True but the Os have smart former Astros. They've semi done this before.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

Is this good?

This places him at some of the best stats at Catcher of anybody in the league

And yet he's riding the pine because "urrrybody like da new guy, but we gotta respect the old" Dusty.

I hate to say it, but I sometimes wish Maldy would just get injured so he can't play. He can be the greatest bench cheerleader because that seems to be where his value is.
McInnis
AG
It might be an interesting weekend for the AL West. The Rangers have been a .500 team on the road, and they've taken their lumps against the NL West recently, winning only on game in two series against the Dodgers and Padres. And they're going to San Fransisco who is in a tight race for a wild card berth.
Dies Irae
4 Catchers had wRC+ of over 100 last year, 118 for the season would have put Yainier at #5
W
AG
speaking of the national league...

kudos to the Phillies (64-52)...

after a rough start to the season, Philadelphia has gone 39-22 since June 1st

looking good for a wildcard spot again

could be a thorn in the side to the Braves or Dodgers in a short series
JDUB08AG
AG
W said:

speaking of the national league...

kudos to the Phillies (64-52)...

after a rough start to the season, Philadelphia has gone 39-22 since June 1st

looking good for a wildcard spot again

could be a thorn in the side to the Braves or Dodgers in a short series

This is what I love about baseball. It's still the hardest championship to win. You have to combat good teams that get hot at the right time.
txags92
AG
If Diaz is throwing guys out at twice the rate Maldy is and is hitting nearly 100 points higher than Maldy, I can't understand why guys like JV and Framber are insisting that Maldy catch for them? You would think they would value the run support and the weapon against stolen bases.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
GhostWipe15
AG
For what is worth, professional soccer stadiums vary in size too.
W
AG
on paper the Astros have the best matchup this weekend in the West:

Rangers at Giants

Orioles at Mariners

Angels at Astros

need to take advantage
linkdude
AG
Feels like we need to shave a game off at least.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I give minor league player rankings the same weight as I do pre-season college football rankings.
Prosperdick
AG
txags92 said:

If Diaz is throwing guys out at twice the rate Maldy is and is hitting nearly 100 points higher than Maldy, I can't understand why guys like JV and Framber are insisting that Maldy catch for them? You would think they would value the run support and the weapon against stolen bases.
For Framber I think Maldy is his emotional support animal and with his issues between his ears I have absolutely no problem with Maldy as his personal catcher.

For JV it's likely just familiarity but hopefully at some point he taps Dusty on the shoulder and says "Skip, I really need more run support. It might be time for Maldy to take a break."
All I do is Nguyen
When is Maldy's contract up? Is it after this year?
W
AG
he's a free agent at the end of the season
n_touch
GhostWipe15 said:

The stadium may be the same size, but the actual playing dimensions on the field are all the same. I think the post is more about having the different dimensions in the playing field vs the actual stadium size.
Homer Genius
AG
n_touch said:

GhostWipe15 said:

The stadium may be the same size, but the actual playing dimensions on the field are all the same. I think the post is more about having the different dimensions in the playing field vs the actual stadium size.
The penalty areas are the same, but the overall playable pitch dimensions vary.
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Clifford is the true loss here. Never as high on GIlbert as most. If we win another WS none of it matters
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

he's a free agent at the end of the season
Prosperdick
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Clifford is the true loss here. Never as high on GIlbert as most. If we win another WS none of it matters
He seemed to have the higher ceiling than Gilbert for sure...would have been nice to keep him but if that's what it took to get JV and have Cohen eat a ton of that stupid contract I'm OK with it ESPECIALLY if that freed up money can go into the "Ted Fund."
texasaggie2015
AG
Everything I've heard is that the Astros were a little underwhelmed with what they've seen from Gilbert. They don't think he'll stick in CF and they see his ceiling as an above average corner outfielder but not an All-Star type guy.

Clifford was the big loss. They did not want to give him up and it took the Mets upping how much of JV's salary they would pay for them to include him in the deal. That being said, Clifford is still extremely young and there's no telling how he pans out.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Everything I've heard is that the Astros were a little underwhelmed with what they've seen from Gilbert. They don't think he'll stick in CF and they see his ceiling as an above average corner outfielder but not an All-Star type guy.

Clifford was the big loss. They did not want to give him up and it took the Mets upping how much of JV's salary they would pay for them to include him in the deal. That being said, Clifford is still extremely young and there's no telling how he pans out.
Yup, his youth is one of the reasons his ceiling is so high but also at the end of the day, still a lottery ticket (albeit with a much bigger jackpot).
n_touch
Learn something new everyday. I would have guessed they are like football fields.
First Page Last Page
Page 1639 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.