***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,525,790 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That Dusty quote about the catchers' production makes me mad beyond reason
tjack16
AG

Trading away Hader?
BadAggie
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/the-worst-baseball-player-of-all-time

redline248
AG
Quote:

the worst player ever...
...until 2023 Marin Maldonado
BadAggie
AG
redline248 said:

That Dusty quote about the catchers' production makes me mad beyond reason

Maybe there's a regular poker game at MMP: Crane, Dusty, Reggie, Bagwell, Bobby Dynamite, Maldy, and Mattress Mack.
OKCAg2002
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

BadAggie said:

Click ran into the same problem though. In Crane's mind he wasn't aggressive enough but he had deal lined up for Contreras at last years deadline that Crane nixed.

That's what was reported but there was a lot more to it. Particularly the Cubs backing out of an agreement and asking for more.

JV will come down the very wire. There's so many details to be worked out that I really don't expect him to go anywhere until the last minute.

Astros aren't done. I expect a couple more moves.

I appreciate your insights. I'm concerned that we will put all of our eggs in this JV basket and get left at the altar.
Mathguy64
AG
2023 machete may be the worst every day position player in modern baseball.
BadAggie
AG
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/list/worst-hitters-21st-century-omar-infante-brad-ausmus-juan-uribe-neifi-perez-alcides-escobar-billy-hamilton/dcsdtr2iv6zx1mk8bvb4jeogn

OKCAg2002
AG
Come on. He has a good pop time. Lol
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

2023 machete may be the worst every day position player in modern baseball.

It's just crazy how dusty and the front office don't see that
CoachAg19
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

BadAggie said:

Click ran into the same problem though. In Crane's mind he wasn't aggressive enough but he had deal lined up for Contreras at last years deadline that Crane nixed.

That's what was reported but there was a lot more to it. Particularly the Cubs backing out of an agreement and asking for more.

JV will come down the very wire. There's so many details to be worked out that I really don't expect him to go anywhere until the last minute.

I appreciate your insights. I'm concerned that we will put all of our eggs in this JV basket and get left at the altar.

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW we need starting pitching help. But, you don't make a move unless it's 100% worth it. We know exactly what we're getting if we land JV. If we swing and miss, well…sucks but this team can still rally. It won't be the end of the world if we don't land JV or any other starting pitcher at the deadline. We need a SP for help, but I don't believe it's a buy-or-die situation.

Hope Urquidy gets healthy.
Framber and Javier figure out life and get back to dominating like they should be.
France has been solid.
Brown is a stud, but needs to be consistent.
The bullpen will get right if the starters get right.

I know that's a lot to ask, but in reality all of that needs to occur regardless of us landing JV or somebody else at the deadline.
At the end of the day, the Astros are the absolute class of the AL, and everybody knows it. The roster is battle-tested, clutch, and proven champions. If/when this team gets into the postseason, absolutely NOBODY will want to face us.
Class of 2010
bigjag19
AG
Maldy is a 5 tool player.

But it's those tools from a little tykes set.
AggiEE
CoachAg19 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

BadAggie said:

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW we need starting pitching help. But, you don't make a move unless it's 100% worth it. We know exactly what we're getting if we land JV. If we swing and miss, well…sucks but this team can still rally. It won't be the end of the world if we don't land JV or any other starting pitcher at the deadline. We need a SP for help, but I don't believe it's a buy-or-die situation.

Hope Urquidy gets healthy.
Framber and Javier figure out life and get back to dominating like they should be.
France has been solid.
Brown is a stud, but needs to be consistent.
The bullpen will get right if the starters get right.

I know that's a lot to ask, but in reality all of that needs to occur regardless of us landing JV or somebody else at the deadline.
At the end of the day, the Astros are the absolute class of the AL, and everybody knows it. The roster is battle-tested, clutch, and proven champions. If/when this team gets into the postseason, absolutely NOBODY will want to face us.

We really don't know if the team can still rally or that an additional SP arm is a make or break situation for this season; it certainly could be.

While we are only 1 game out from being tied for the division, it's not pre ordained that many of these factors all align and continue to allow us to progress into the playoffs and beyond.

This feels a little bit like previous seasons where we may it to the playoffs but simply didn't have the depth to go all the way. Last year we did, and we were lucky in the sense that there wasn't too much Dusty could have screwed up.

We are now fighting against an irrational manager where the margins are much lower and the starting rotation depth is far less. In terms of hitting - I think we are better than last year IF everyone stays healthy AND Dusty plays the best lineup. But he isnt.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Ranger fan here coming over just to talk some ball respectfully…

With the injuries both our clubs are dealing with and the hot hand the Angels are running with, any chance y'all think these recent trades they've made (which seem pretty dang good) are enough to catch up to us in September?

Could also make a pretty good argument they would just "Angel" like they've always done and blow it. Curious what y'all think. Gig Em.
JohnnyTexAg1995
bmac_aggie18 said:

With the injuries both our clubs are dealing with and the hot hand the Angels are running with, any chance y'all think these recent trades they've made (which seem pretty dang good) are enough to catch up to us in September?

Could also make a pretty good argument they would just "Angel" like they've always done and blow it. Curious what y'all think. Gig Em.
dont you know we are way to focused on being pissed at our elderly manager to even thing about the angels, come on rangerette!
Gig 'Em and God Bless
bmac_aggie18
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

dont you know we are way to focused on being pissed at our elderly manager to even thing about the angels, come on rangerette!

Haha yeah man it sure is interesting with these Senior Managers seemingly being the popular choice. We of course can relate and I sure am thankful for the mound visit limit cause I'm not sure Bochy can make it back lol
Farmer1906
AG
I lean no. They added a solid middle of the rotation guy plus some decent bats but nothing earth shattering. They're a little better but their offense was already good. I think they'll stay good as long as Ohtani stays red hot. Their pitching needs more help. Their bullpen is about as bad as it gets.
iamtheglove
tjack16 said:

Trading away Hader?
I would go with trading Joe Morgan followed by trading Rusty Staub
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Nope. That doesn't work for me. I'm not saying we need to make a huge splash, but we need to add players who fill a role and help the team in some way.

Edit: talking mainly about Dickerson. Cisnero is fine. Another halfway decent arm to eat innings in the bullpen.
Boiling Denim
bmac_aggie18 said:

I still think the Mariners will be the team to make a run and join the division race. They have a soft second half of August and have another series with us that could be pivotal and we have looked hapless against their pitching
BadAggie
AG
To get impact players via trade you have to give up value in terms of prospects, controllable players, and/or provide financial considerations.

People expect Brown to land impact players without doing the first two and of course think the latter isn't a big deal.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

The Dodgers, because of the depth of their farm system, are a more desirable trading partner for the Mets than Verlander's previous club, the Astros. But like Scherzer, Verlander possesses a full no-trade clause and can effectively pick his next team. He rejected a reported two-year, $80 million offer from the Dodgers last offseason in favor of a two-year, $86.6 million deal with the Mets.

I didn't realize they made him an offer
Quote:

The buzz around the Dodgers and Verlander among scouts is growing louder. The match seems obvious, even though the Dodgers likely would be uncomfortable with Verlander's conditional option that guarantees him $35 million at age 42 in 2025 if he pitches 140 innings next season. But Cohen paid $36 million to extract a top 100 prospect out of the Rangers for Scherzer. Surely he can figure out a way out for Verlander, too. If Verlander is willing

That option is probably gonna take them out of it, they need that money for ohtani
Quote:

The White Sox are listening on Dylan Cease and everyone else on their roster. The perception among many in the industry is that Cease and center fielder Luis Robert Jr. remain all but untouchable. But some rival executives see the White Sox's willingness to entertain offers as an opening, however small.

Surprised by this. Luis Robert please...
Quote:

Still, a number of hitters remain available, from the Nats' Jeimer Candelario to the Mets' Mark Canha and Tommy Pham; the Mariners' Teoscar Hernndez to the Cardinals' Paul DeJong to the Red Sox's Adam Duvall and possibly Alex Verdugo.
W
AG
Faustus said:

Looking at the box score it's crazy how many guys we have with a sub .700 OPS (almost all grouped in the .660s).

Peña - .667
Abreu - .660
Dubon - .660
Julks - .666
and then you have
Maldy - .541

A few years ago we routinely had 7 guys playing with over .800 OPS. No walks to go with our 10 hits and 2 runs today.

See you all tomorrow.
and adding to the calamity...

those 5 players rank 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th in season at-bats for the Astros

Chas ranks 9th in at-bats. Yanier ranks 11th
W
AG
43 hours and counting...

(for Dana)
texasaggie2015
AG
Chicago said Cease is off the market but the Astros haven't stopped talking with them about him
AggiEE
W said:

Faustus said:

Looking at the box score it's crazy how many guys we have with a sub .700 OPS (almost all grouped in the .660s).

Peña - .667
Abreu - .660
Dubon - .660
Julks - .666
and then you have
Maldy - .541

A few years ago we routinely had 7 guys playing with over .800 OPS. No walks to go with our 10 hits and 2 runs today.

See you all tomorrow.
and adding to the calamity...

those 5 players rank 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th in season at-bats for the Astros

Chas ranks 9th in at-bats. Yanier ranks 11th

"Well, you know, Dubon is the new guy and we gotta play him. I know everyone likes the stats but that's nerd stuff, I like Dubon's grit and you can't place a number on it. If you want to be manager you should win a World Series like me"
W
AG
the Angels begin a 3-game series in Atlanta on Monday

Ohtani is not scheduled to pitch

then the Angels and Mariners play a big 4-game series in Anaheim

as previously mentioned...Seattle has a nice 2-week soft stretch in mid-to-late August. We'll see if they can draw closer in the meantime
BadAggie
AG
Crane has shown the willingness to approve big trades and spend money.

Sure he balked at giving JV the 3rd year that the Mets did. Pretty clear the Astros aren't the only team that views that as a problem.

Of course the context then was you had a full starting rotation without him, and not currently missing 3 SPs.

It's been a while since a repeat WS Champ. Maybe Crane will pony up.
texasaggie2015
AG

Goodness
AustinCountyAg
As much as I love this team this is the least confident I've been in them winning in a long time. Even with JV I don't think it pushes us past TX, or the O's. Our offense is avg at best and our starting pitching gives me no confidence when it's nut cutting time.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just don't see it or believe it right now.
tjack16
AG

Odd…. I could have sworn they won the series in Houston. Or at least their fans acted like they did
McInnis
AG
iamtheglove said:

tjack16 said:

Trading away Hader?
I would go with trading Joe Morgan followed by trading Rusty Staub

I agree the Morgan trade was worse but Staub was really a strong second. Especially when you consider the Donn Clendenon factor and the way that Jack Billingham was involved in both trades. Bless your soul Spec Richardson.
BadAggie
AG
One would think after getting rid of Click that Crane has a little motivation to ensure success this season.

BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness

Surely Singleton will be called up?
First Page Last Page
Page 1360 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.