***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,525,782 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
CoachAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
linkdude said:

Three more with the mediocre Guardians. 2-1 probably the best we can hope for.

Those "mediocre" Guardians already took 2 out of 3 against us this year. The next month of the schedule is going to extremely tough for the Astros. Especially on the pitching staff.
Class of 2010
Bigballin
AG
that was frustrating to watch
mwm
And, historically, August has not been a great month for Astros' performances.
W
AG
the Astros go 3-3 vs. the Rays

and went 3-4 vs. the Blue Jays

so that's 6-7 vs. the AL East

with 19 more games to go against the East

that is cause for concern
Boiling Denim
Our home record is only better than the dregs of the AL right now.
Boiling Denim
All the focus on Moldy's terrible hitting and I'm sitting here questioning his game plans and pitcher handling. For all the work he does it sure has a tendency not to show up on the field with these frequent 8+ allowed runs
mwm
Granted, it was a bad start by Bielak, but this loss is squarely on Abreu.
W
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This was timely

just when folks want to believe...

costly error on a routine grounder in the 1st inning was a killer today
mwm
I would have to go back & look but, as I recall, he's done it a couple of times in the last 7-10 days.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Farmer1906 said:

This was timely

just when folks want to believe...

costly error on a routine grounder in the 1st inning was a killer today

We had 9 innings to recover. He shoulder blame but one error doesn't erase his play the last 40 games.
tjack16
AG
BadAggie
AG
Boiling Denim said:

All the focus on Moldy's terrible hitting and I'm sitting here questioning his game plans and pitcher handling. For all the work he does it sure has a tendency not to show up on the field with these frequent 8+ allowed runs

Does he have dirt on Dusty and/or Crane? He's a boat anchor at this point.

AggiEE
W said:

Machete 0 for 4 today

looking forward to his start tomorrow....yeah

"Well, you know, Diaz was planned to be off for the next 5 days. He's a young guy and needs the rest. We don't appreciate the veteran talent enough. I don't need any help managing, Thank you"
linkdude
AG
From a Mets fan I follow. Dana should hang up the phone if this is the case.
BadAggie
AG
Do Stros punt at the trade deadline, roll with what they have, and count on the pitching staff getting healthy and perhaps unsaid Dusty's retirement and Maldonado's departure in the off-season.

Unless the Mets can be pushed to cough up more cash for JV his contract will make the next two offseasons and free agency tough to navigate. Also how much can the Astros afford to deplete their farm?

RC_57
AG
RC_57 said:

Family reunion this weekend. About 40 of us at the Marriott Marquis today and going to the game tomorrow.

I step away from tonight's dinner and…. 17 runs!!

Thanks a lot guys

We'll be lucky to get a hit tomorrow.

Ok. So I was wrong on the targeting the offense.

I certainly did not expect the defense to stink it up.
Farmer1906
AG
They can have Bielak, Meyers, and a mid tier prospect as long as they pay for a good hunk of JV.

If not, they can hold on to an unhappy legend who gets paid north of 40 M a year for 2 more years.
Mr.Bond
AG
linkdude said:

From a Mets fan I follow. Dana should hang up the phone if this is the case.

Pedro Leon and a pack of powder Gatorade
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

tjack16
AG
If gravamen is our one move, we are conceding the division.

That might be an overreaction but the Rangers just made two big moves and we made one solid move.
BadAggie
AG
Can we interest you in first round pick Forrest Whitley, a prospect with limitless potential
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

That might be an overreaction but the Rangers just made two big moves and we made one solid move.

It is an overreaction.

Take the name away. They paid a top 50 prospect for a guy with a 4.35 ERA, 6.32 FIP, & an opposing .779 OPS in July (5 starts). The underlying metrics on him are pretty average. If he were on the Astros last year, he would have played the Luis Garcia long relief role in the postseason.

And it was 4 guys they've added. Chapman is probably the most impactful if their starters stayed healthy. Maybe Max or JMo step up. But if they play like they have been, they're solid starters. Nothing you'd fear.
BadAggie
AG
Crane made the decision to not pay JV last off-season. Not saying I disagreed but the buck stops there. Crane has a limit financially and with the pending free agents over the next few offseasons JV's contract would hamstring things.

Losing 3 starters to injury was not part of the plan.

It's tough to repeat in this league as a lot is contingent on staying healthy.

redline248
AG
So, the Box Score says we only committed 1 error. However, in that 4th inning we had Bielak forget how to run to 1B on a grounder to his left, Pena fail to get to a double play ball b/c he was playing so far to the 3B side, and Bregman unable to come up with a grounder hit sharply to his left that kicked off his glove. Bregman also had that long throw after stepping on 3B that went high. Both those Bregman plays are pretty tough, and I would never call them errors, but that's the kind of stuff that can make a difference.

In the end, we still only scored 2 runs, but overall the defense was far from stellar.

All of this, of course, is just, like, my opinion
Mr.Bond
AG
BadAggie said:

Crane made the decision to not pay JV last off-season. Not saying I disagreed but the buck stops there. Crane has a limit financially and with the pending free agents over the next few offseasons JV's contract would hamstring things.

Hes not paying tucker..... who are we gonna spend on out of curiosity?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

CoachAg19
AG
redline248 said:

So, the Box Score says we only committed 1 error. However, in that 4th inning we had Bielak forget how to run to 1B on a grounder to his left, Pena fail to get to a double play ball b/c he was playing so far to the 3B side, and Bregman unable to come up with a grounder hit sharply to his left that kicked off his glove. Bregman also had that long throw after stepping on 3B that went high. Both those Bregman plays are pretty tough, and I would never call them errors, but that's the kind of stuff that can make a difference.

In the end, we still only scored 2 runs, but overall the defense was far from stellar.

All of this, of course, is just, like, my opinion

The defense has been an issue quite a bit here recently. However, that Bielak play at first was NOT an easy play by any means. Also, both of the Bregman plays caught me off guard, because usually that's the type of plays that he does make. Both were extremely tough though.
I do agree though that those are the types of plays that can make the difference. Abreu at first has just been AWFUL when you compare his performance to what we had with Yuli for so long.
Class of 2010
Ag_07
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm gonna go with overreaction
BadAggie
AG
Sounds like JV wants out and he said no to Arlington.

I mean it should be expensive to trade for JV, reigning Cy Young who is pitching well lately.

tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Probably. But I was at the game today and Wednesday …. So I'm leaving the stadium mad again
superaggie73
AG
Watching the Arlington-SD game and they are running on Sanchez every pitch like they did to Maldy in our series.
CoachAg19
AG
Mr.Bond said:

BadAggie said:

Not paying Tucker would be a gigantic mistake IMO. Altuve and Bregs aren't going anywhere, but the future of the franchise is Yordan, Tuck, Pena, and Framber. You HAVE to lock up Tuck long term.
Class of 2010
BadAggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

BadAggie said:

Altuve
Bregman
Framber

And now we're letting Tucker walk apparently

Jet Black
tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

tjack16 said:

Probably. But I was at the game today and Wednesday …. So I'm leaving the stadium mad again

Not an overreaction at all.
gougler08
AG
Rangers just got Montgomery as well…need to start playing better if we are going to catch them as they're upgrading
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I just recently started experiencing this thread and saw absolutely no rally tiddies! I was told you all where better than this!! WTF!
Jet Black
This current pitching staff isn't winning anything.
First Page Last Page
Page 1356 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.