***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,553,780 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
13.4 K/9, 16% HR/FB and a .408 BABIP, leading to an xFIP of 3.98. (he does walk 5.8 per nine innings, so that's not great)
Farmer1906
AG
More

Quote:

The Braves have acquired left-hander Taylor Hearn from the Rangers, reports Mark Bowman of MLB.com. The southpaw had been designated for assignment by the Rangers last week. It's the second pitching addition of the day for Atlanta, who also acquired Pierce Johnson from the Rockies. Corresponding moves will be required to get both players onto the 40-man roster.
Post removed:
by user
gigemJTH12
AG
is 44 playing tonight?
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

the Braves 10th and 26th ranked prospects for a guy with a 6 ERA that is a FA after this year.
Holy ***** That seems expensive AF.

My Braves buddy says those 2 "probably won't do much" and that they are ranked higher in the Braves system b/c the Braves farm is a little depleted at the higher levels. Sounds a little like Houston
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have no insight but all signs seem to point to yes. The question I have is how we're going to construct the lineup tonight?

Dubon (I like the idea of Chas here too)
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Abreu
Diaz (unless we get Dusty'd)
Chas/Dubon
Pena
Meyers
texasaggie2015
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I have no insight but all signs seem to point to yes.
I don't know if I would go that far. I'm hopeful he's back but they haven't been very open about his progress.
BadAggie
AG
JV back and the Mets largely paying his contract? Do it.

Overall, the championship window is now.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You would know more than me but Blum/TK we're hinting at this is during the broadcast a few times over the weekend. With the 3 rehab games under his belt, what else does he really need to do?
Farmer1906
AG

texasaggie2015
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You would know more than me but Blum/TK we're hinting at this is during the broadcast a few times over the weekend. With the 3 rehab games under his belt, what else does he really need to do?
To be completely honest, I don't have a lot of insight when it comes to injuries/rehab so I'm just kinda speculating.
ttha_aggie_09
texasaggie2015
AG
I could be wrong but I think that Bonda guy is full of it most of the time. He says he has friends on the team, but I don't think he would tweet some of the things he tweets if he really did.
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I could be wrong but I think that Bonda guy is full of it most of the time. He says he has friends on the team, but I don't think he would tweet some of the things he tweets if he really did.
I honestly cannot stand that guy. ultimate D bag on Twitter.

I think he talks to 43. and maybe a couple others. but no way anyone is actually telling him anything of substance.
CFTXAG10
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I honestly cannot stand that guy. ultimate D bag on Twitter.

I think he talks to 43. and maybe a couple others. but no way anyone is actually telling him anything of substance.
Seems once a couple of his Astros videos went viral he got a little clout and became a *****
BadAggie
AG
With expected return of Yordan/Altuve and performance of Diaz, Chas, and Dubon, and Abreu showing signs of life less inclined to see need for a rental bat. Recent quotes from Brown seem to confirm now less a priority.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

With expected return of Yordan/Altuve and performance of Diaz, Chas, and Dubon, and Abreu showing signs of life less inclined to see need for a rental bat. Recent quotes from Brown seem to confirm now less a priority.

I think they definitely need to look at bench bats, but those may not be as costly.
BadAggie
AG
Wabs said:

cc10106 said:

Rangerette thread posters are screenshotting this thread again. Guess they need something to talk about.

Meanwhile on the Rangers board:

Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

Somewhat agree, but we may send big league guys out in order to shore up pitching. We might need to backfill with a rental. Say we use Chas in used in a package to get Cease then we may need to add someone so Jake isn't the every day starting CFer.
tjack16
AG
I still think we need a 3/4 quality starter, bullpen arm and a bat for depth.

We shouldn't over-spend unless it's for somebody like a Dylan Cease
Wabs
AG
BadAggie said:

If Dusty continues to insist on playing Maldy (likely), then I want to add another bat. Start Diaz, and assume Yordan and Altuve are back, then we probably don't need a bat.
BadAggie
AG
*shudder* True.

Getting a decent SP is a need at this point. Even if Urquidy returns at high level your 3rd and 4th starters are Javier who is still shaky and Brown.

Jet Black
Somebody needs to mail this organization a piece of paper with the definition of urgency on it.
AggiEE
tjack16 said:

I still think we need a 3/4 quality starter, bullpen arm and a bat for depth.

We shouldn't over-spend unless it's for somebody like a Dylan Cease

We should just get JV and eat his contract and send the Mets minimal prospects

Let Crane pay for his mistakes this off-season
Ag_07
AG
Jet Black said:

Somebody needs to mail this organization a piece of paper with the definition of urgency on it.

Tell me you don't follow the trade deadline without telling me you don't follow the trade deadline.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Predicted Record: 101-61
Team MVP: Kyle Tucker
Team Cy Young: Cristian Javier
Rookie of the Year: Yainer Diaz
Surprise Player of the Year: Ronel Blanco
Make 2 or more Positive Predictions:
  • Luis Garcia takes the next step from being above avg to good bordering on great. Sub 3.3 ERA with 185+ K
  • Kyle Tucker also takes the next step from good to great. Top 5 MVP finish. 30-30 with 100+ RBI.
  • Jose Abreu has the best season at first base in an Astro uniform since 2008 Lance Berkman.
  • Ronel Blanco establishes himself as a member of our rotation and makes the postseason roster

Make 2 or more Negative Predictions:
  • Altuve starts to look his age a little. Not a bad season, but more in line with .275/.350/450. Nowhere near his 2022.
  • Hunter Brown is fine. More in line with a 4/5 type with flashes of brilliance and flashes of meltdown.
  • One of the med/high (Pressly, Montero, Stanek, Neris, or Abreu) leverage relievers just flat out stinks for the majority of the season.

Checking in on my predictions.

Going to fall short on record.

Tucker has a strong case for MVP.

Javier is nowhere near Cy Young. Its allllllll Framber.

Diaz is the best rookie, but Brown & France are doing well.

Blanco has been fine. Not enough of an impact to be a "huge surprise". I guess this would be France or maybe Dubon for the first 2 months.

Garcia got hurt so I missed there.

TED is doing well. Not sure top 5 MVP yet but he's got a chance if he rides this hot streak a little further.

Major fail on Abreu.

Blanco doesn't look like a rotation guy.

Altuve looks his age by being hurt. His on-field stats have been very good still.

I think I have been right about Brown so far, but I think he proves me wrong by the season's end.

Not one but two have kind of stunk. Montero sucks. Stanek hasn't been great.

And while we're at it, a lot of yall called the LMJ injury. I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive.
Prosperdick
AG
I'm hoping Crane is willing to open his wallet a little more and get Verlander back. Would solve our SP need and then we can look for a rental bat.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Jet Black said:

Tell me you don't follow the trade deadline without telling me you don't follow the trade deadline.
Weird how almost no teams have any urgency at all. Almost no trades. I guess every team will be getting the note.
W
AG
going to be hilarious if Yordan returns...

and Abreu (.643) is batting in front of Tucker (.893)
Deluxe
AG
Last time we traded for JV in-season, we won the World Series
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Last time we traded for JV mid-season, we won the World Series
This is true.

It is also true when we trade for Trey Mancini and I think he's more available.
BadAggie
AG
Cease or Stroman would be something but will likely be a Gioloto or Lynn type. Gioloto is a little interesting as could be a buy low opportunity.
Wabs
AG
I predicted Maldy would hit .250 this year. You can't possibly get a worse prediction than that.
Mathguy64
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Predicted Record:95-67 - Losing Altuve for 2 months has to catch up with the record at some point.
Team MVP: Yordan
Team Cy Young:Javier - He pitches an actual no hitter not a combined one.
Rookie of the Year: Yanier

Surprise Player of the Year: Yanier
Make 2 or more Positive Predictions:
  • Framber and Javier finish top 5 CYA
  • Tucker emerges from the shift as a $300MM guy

Make 2 or more Negative Predictions:
  • It takes until August for Jose to get back to normal
  • Brown struggles

Record - won't make 95 wins
MVP - let's see what getting Yordan back does but right now it's Tucker.
Team CY - big whiff on CJ

Rookie and surprise - yep.
Positive- not far off
Negative - looking spot on
CFTXAG10
AG
Wabs said:

I predicted Maldy would hit .250 this year. You can't possibly get a worse prediction than that.

Oh yea…. From my predictions on the first couple pages: "Abreu fits like a golden glove, he has one of the best seasons of his career"
First Page Last Page
Page 1204 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.