***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,554,146 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texasaggie2015 said:

They are. There's been a couple conversations with the Mets about what it would take to bring in Max or JV. It won't happen without the Mets paying a significant chunk of the contract though.

If the Astros said they were definitely getting one of those guys and it's my choice who, I pick JV 10/10 times.
Wabs
AG
If a bat is #3 in priority, then it seems logical that the organization is confident in the return of Yordan and Altuve (and maybe even Brantley). Without Yordan and Altuve in this lineup......yuck.....
Farmer1906
AG
Its wild how our offense has been good in July (top 5-10) yet relied on 2-4 guys for the month of July.

July Only (min 20 PA)

If I am Arlington or Tampa, I am pitching around TED and Chas. And maybe Bregman too. Since the toe tap (7/18) Breggy has a 210 wRC+.

texasaggie2015
AG
I think it's a combination of that and also what's available.
redline248
AG
I'm still trying to figure out where a bat makes the most sense. As a potential starter, platoon or bench? I would probably say, in order of "need," I would go

LF
1B
DH
SS

You can probably scratch that last one completely, LF/DH is going to be covered most of the time by Yordan, or even Abreu if you add someone that can play 1B. When everyone is healthy things look like

C - Diaz (or Maldy, barf)
1B - Abreu
2B - Altuve
3B - Bregman
SS - Pena
LF - Julks (or trade bat or McCormick)
CF - McCormick (or trade bat)
RF - Tucker
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Its wild how our offense has been good in July (top 5-10) yet relied on 2-4 guys for the month of July.

July Only (min 20 PA)

If I am Arlington or Tampa, I am pitching around TED and Chas. And maybe Bregman too. Since the toe tap (7/18) Breggy has a 210 wRC+.

Pena, ugh ffs please get better
Farmer1906
AG
There is a particular left handed bat that can play a very high-level CF and a plus 1B. If he plays CF that moves Chas to LF and gives us a damn good defensive OF. He just makes so much sense for us.
redline248
AG
Yeah, as long as he doesn't get here and get cold.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bellinger would be an awesome fit, but I'm feeling less confident as the asking price for him is going up and I don't expect Houston to be willing to give up what it would cost considering he's a rental.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Bellinger would be an awesome fit, but I'm feeling less confident as the asking price for him is going up and I don't expect Houston to be willing to give up what it would cost considering he's a rental.
Agreed. Our best prospect (Gilbert) might be another teams fifth best prospect. That team may be willing to trade their fifth best prospect to rent Bellinger. Are we willing to trade our best?
redline248
AG
How does that option for '24 affect his price?
Farmer1906
AG
Chandler article / mailbag on the deadline:

Quote:

Hello, Astros fans. Good luck deciphering Dana Brown's trade deadline approach across the next eight days. This is Brown's first deadline as a general manager, so there are no tendencies to monitor or past situations to create a precedent. He has repeated all the things general managers are supposed to say this time of year, but until there is action, most of the words ring hollow.
Spot on

Quote:

Perhaps the most intriguing question is how much owner Jim Crane will insert himself into the team's decision-making. At last year's deadline, and at manager Dusty Baker's behest, the owner vetoed an agreed-upon trade with the Chicago Cubs involving Willson Contreras and Jos Urquidy.
Keep this in mind for the cost of a plus hitting rental

Quote:

Who do you realistically see the Astros being able to bring in at the deadline? I feel they need a high-leverage reliever and an impact starter at the very least. Brandon R.

Realistically, Brandon, they should focus on a veteran, innings-eating starter and a high-leverage reliever. The former is probably more pressing than the latter, but acquiring both should be atop Brown's priority list.

To compensate, Houston could trade from its major-league roster. Speaking on the team's pregame radio show on Sunday, assistant general manager Andrew Ball acknowledged the team is trying to be "creative" and will engage with other contending teams for "a good old fashioned baseball trade where both teams get better." Trading Maton for Straw in 2021 is a prime example and perhaps a blueprint for a deal Houston could swing during the deadline.
Priority 1 - SP, 2 - RP. Interesting.

Also, more smoke on trading away big league guys.

Quote:

Which prospects, if any, do the Astros consider untouchable as far as trades are concerned? Russell G.

In reality, Russell, there really shouldn't be many untouchable players. Sure, there are probably some prospects the team covets more than others, but the Astros don't have a top-100 prospect in Baseball America's most recently updated rankings. No players appeared in Keith Law's new top 60, either.

Dana Brown did tell the team's flagship radio show he won't move outfielder Drew Gilbert for a rental player. At the time of his comments, Gilbert was almost a consensus top-100 prospect. The new crop of draft picks has since moved him out of those rankings.

For a farm system thin on top-end talent, though, Brown's strategy is sound and should perhaps be applied to other prospects like Spencer Arrighetti, Ryan Clifford or Luis Baez. Moving them for rental players doesn't feel wise.
No one is untouchable, but don't be done with our top guys. Seems sound to me.

Quote:

Do you think the Astros are more likely to add rental player(s) or seek to add a player(s) with multiple years of control? J.M.

Given what they have to offer, J.M., rental players seem the most likely.

It's clear the Astros will need some rotation insurance next season. Whether they find some at the trade deadline or wait until the winter will be a fascinating subplot of the next eight days.
Fair point, but I think we go after both. But I think multiyear control for an RP is more likely. 2015 mentioned it, but it makes sense. It costs less and we have just a big of a need with so much guys hitting FA.

Quote:

What happens with the logjam in the outfield? Do the Astros trade from the mid ranks for a better pitcher or is someone like (Jake) Meyers used as a trade add-on? Neil B.

Dana Brown has already hinted what will likely happen, Neal. He told Ken Rosenthal last month the Astros were exploring trades involving exclusively major-league players and said, "If we could move an outfield piece for something that could fill another need, we probably would be interested in doing that."

Meyers and Julks remain the two most logical members of the major-league team to be traded before Aug. 1

Nothing to add just more smoke.

Farmer1906
AG
I would imagine not much. He's done enough to opt out and get a bigger deal.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's a player option, right? He would 99.99% decline it so it's not a factor.
redline248
AG
Mutual option, according to the net.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah- no factor
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha... they're calling me Ketch over on the Rangers board
redline248
AG
Are you?

Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Shouldn't have told me that. 2015 is now Ketch on this thread.
texasaggie2015
AG
I thought we established that I'm Jeff Bagwell?
W
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

July Only (min 20 PA)

yep, Pena has been so bad at the plate...and if there's a team that is super high on him...with a controllable starting pitcher...stay tuned
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground

cc10106
W said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

July Only (min 20 PA)

yep, Pena has been so bad at the plate...and if there's a team that is super high on him...with a controllable starting pitcher...stay tuned
Going away from the toe tap that helped him tear it up in the postseason doesn't make sense without results. Figure it out, Jeremy.
W
AG
for comparison...

Correa's OPS in years one and two: .857 and .811

Pena's OPS in years one and two (so far): .715 and .665

he's way behind Carlos in offensive development
cc10106
Rangerette thread posters are screenshotting this thread again. Guess they need something to talk about.

Wabs
AG
cc10106 said:

Rangerette thread posters are screenshotting this thread again. Guess they need something to talk about.

texasaggie2015
AG
This is such a fun time of year. Deadline, pennant races, college football getting ready to start.

It's hard to beat those October weekends when you got college football and playoff baseball on Saturdays.
bearkatag15
AG

way for guys to step up with the big man out.
redline248
AG
Once Diaz stops swinging at everything his numbers are gonna sky rocket
linkdude
AG
Colorado reliever to ATL
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

Once Diaz stops swinging at everything his numbers are gonna sky rocket
No kidding. There were several reasons why Cleveland was willing to part with him, and this was one of them. He's actually improved too. If he can just get a little better, like you said, his numbers are going to take off.
texasaggie2015
AG
The Astros had been talking to the Rockies about him.
bearkatag15
AG

the Braves 10th and 26th ranked prospects for a guy with a 6 ERA that is a FA after this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like a project. High spin curve. Decent velo but the heater gets lit up like the 4th of July. Much better away from home, but that makes sense with you reply on spin and pitch in Colorado.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

the Braves 10th and 26th ranked prospects for a guy with a 6 ERA that is a FA after this year.
Holy ***** That seems expensive AF.

First Page Last Page
Page 1203 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.