***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,559,428 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

W said:

Angels (50-48) win again --- not trading Ohtani yet
They are in no man's land. Not bad enough to have to get something for him and not good enough to compete.

Really hope the Angels don't make a trade,
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

They are in no man's land. Not bad enough to have to get something for him and not good enough to compete.

Same. A trade only benefits our potential opponents. Plus it helps restock the Angels farm.
Marvin
AG
Beau Holder said:

Got out of Oppenheimer in time to see Tuck's last homer and Pressly's 100th save. 10/10 night all around.
How was the show? Looking forward to seeing it.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Saw Oppenheimer last night also. Was a FANTASTIC movie

Thanks for the rec
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

Same. A trade only benefits our potential opponents. Plus it helps restock the Angels farm.
I just hope if they make a trade the team that gets him has to sell the farm and the future...I'm not worried about the Angels doing anything with the talent they acquire, heck, they've had two superstars for how long with absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

Yes, best case scenario is they keep Ohtani with the futile belief they can make a run this season.
JYDog90
AG
Marvin said:

Beau Holder said:

Got out of Oppenheimer in time to see Tuck's last homer and Pressly's 100th save. 10/10 night all around.

I loved it. I'm a 55 yr old guy and I saw it in an IMAX theater. I would like to see it again in a smaller theater, sitting in the back, a little quieter and a way to kinda catch the whole screen a little better.
texasaggie2015
AG

Can't remember if I mentioned here or not but the Astros are among those teams that have inquired
bearkatag15
AG
JV obviously needs a chance of scenery. Maybe something more familiar
Farmer1906
AG
Some perspective on Yordan.

Beau Holder
AG
Marvin said:

Beau Holder said:

Unbelievable and worth the long wait from the moment I saw the first trailer.
spadilly
S
czechy91 said:

Astros PSA- If anyone is interested in Astros Gold Merchandise the jerseys and hats are on sale at the outfield store at MinuteMaid. The men's jerseys have been dropped down to $75 and were previously $175. There is still a good selection.

Thank you for the heads up. Grabbed a gold Altuve jersey this morning. $75 for jerseys with names on them, $60 for blank ones.
texasaggie2015
AG
Alright here we go fellas… some new scoop. Again, this is just what I'm hearing so don't blast me or anything.

I talked to one source last night (the same who told me that there's a "less than 1% chance Tucker re-signs" during spring training). He said he still believes the chances are the same and that nothing has changed.

I asked my other source about that and he said that's probably true but if Dana Brown can make good moves and leave a good impression on Crane, there's an outside chance Dana could be able to convince Crane to open up the checkbook and give him a long contract. Tucker wants a lot of years and Crane won't go over 5. That's just his thing. I asked this source about the sour grapes involved and he said money talks. Which is true.

My takeaway is it's very unlikely but not entirely impossible either. Definitely not getting my hopes up.
Eso si, Que es
texasaggie2015 said:

Can't remember if I mentioned here or not but the Astros are among those teams that have inquired

Man I hope he goes to an NL team that makes it to the World Series. I'd love a free game in the fall classic
MaxPower
Got to get there first and in that regard he's quite helpful. I also wonder if missing the first month of the season helps him in the playoffs. Pitching 30+ times then multiple playoff rounds has to be a physical and mental grind.
AgSportsFan89
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Alright here we go fellas… some new scoop. Again, this is just what I'm hearing so don't blast me or anything.

I talked to one source last night (the same who told me that there's a "less than 1% chance Tucker re-signs" during spring training). He said he still believes the chances are the same and that nothing has changed.

I asked my other source about that and he said that's probably true but if Dana Brown can make good moves and leave a good impression on Crane, there's an outside chance Dana could be able to convince Crane to open up the checkbook and give him a long contract. Tucker wants a lot of years and Crane won't go over 5. That's just his thing. I asked this source about the sour grapes involved and he said money talks. Which is true.

My takeaway is it's very unlikely but not entirely impossible either. Definitely not getting my hopes up.

So you're saying there's a chance
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Sounds like Crane needs to get over this 5 year hang up. 8 is the new 5.
Sex Panther
AG
Hard to argue that the strategy of keeping contracts around 5 years hasn't been effective... but for someone in their mid to late 20s - I don't think an 8-year deal is an albatross. Especially someone like Tucker with no injury history.

Now the 10-13 year deals are just insane. But there will always be some team willing to pay a player 30 mil plus in their 40s, and it always works out great!
tjack16
AG
I'd offer Tucker the 10 year 300 MM deal.

He would be 37 when it ends
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Some perspective on Yordan.

I think that says more about the AAA roster than Yordan's early career success.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd probably do that. Think Tucker would take it?
Farmer1906
AG
If it's something you trust and believe in, pay them to their mid 30s. That might be 2-3 years or 10 years.
BCEDAg
AG
Tucker is only 26 so if Crane is firm with a max deal of five years then Tucker would be in the middle of his prime years at the end of that deal. Wish Crane would go 8 years for Tuck.
cc10106
Just thinking about TED signing a max deal with a team like NY or BOS makes me wanna throw up. Crane has to see how Atlanta has set themselves up for success the next decade with how many guys they've locked up.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

I'd probably do that. Think Tucker would take it?

I don't think he would right away but it would be a good starting place

I think he would want the next two years of arbitration bought out plus 10 years.
Sex Panther
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If it's something you trust and believe in, pay them to their mid 30s. That might be 2-3 years or 10 years.

Agreed. And there may be some recency bias in play, but I'd certainly be happy with Tucker getting 10 years. But something tells me he wants 12-13.

Mid 30's feels reasonable. The Trea Turner and Xander Bogaerts deals seemed pretty stupid to me (they will be 41 when they are done) but what do I know
MaxPower
I don't see Crane ever going past 8. I also don't see Dana doing anything that impresses crane that much to give him the full reigns. Not enough to work with in the trade market.
BTKAG97
AG
Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

I don't see how a player like Ohtani is even tradable. The amount of resources a potential trade partner would have to relinquish with no gaurantee they will be able to sign him after the seaon seems insurmountable.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I wonder if 8/270 would get it done.

If so, that would be a no-brainer.
tjack16
AG
I mean if you're tucker, I'd imagine 12 years would be great because that'll take you to age 38-39. That's basically job security until retirement and career earnings of close to $400 MM.

If you take a contract that only takes you to 34 or 36 years old, there's no guarantee you get another one after that.
Mathguy64
AG
I think you need to go 350/10 to move the needle on Tucker. Ohtani is about to set a massive bar and if atucker waits out the next 2 years 350/10 will not be a crazy or unusual number for players like him.
Farmer1906
AG
Teams also want to manipulate the luxury tax. We're willing to pay you 350 M but we want to split it over 13 years, not 10.
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I think you need to go 350/10 to move the needle on Tucker. Ohtani is about to set a massive bar and if atucker waits out the next 2 years 350/10 will not be a crazy or unusual number for players like him.

A lot can happen in two years between now and free agency
SECcess12
Mathguy64 said:

Ohtani will set an unrealistic bar unfortunately due to him being a very high quality pitcher as well.
SW-14
AG
We should give this Alvarez kid a chance on the big league squad. I think he might be able to help us out.
Wabs
AG
SW-14 said:

We should give this Alvarez kid a chance on the big league squad. I think he might be able to help us out.

You would think there's a spot in the 8 or 9 hole right?
First Page Last Page
Page 1175 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.