***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,840 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
SA-AG72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The D said:

This is what happens when 5 rangers start

My exact thoughts
Marvin
AG
Dusty loses another home game. How fitting.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Jaydoug
AG
Went to Nippon Ham Fighters game against Ratuken Eagles in Hakkaido. It's where Ohtani played before the MLB.

Stadium just opened and was design by same architect firm as did Globe Life. So it's Mimic of Mimic Maid.

Jaydoug
AG
Minute Maid needs these

MaxPower
Where are the pics of the beer girls?
Jaydoug
AG
MaxPower said:

Where are the pics of the beer girls?

Wabs
AG
Where things stand now. Predictions on what will change?

MaxPower
I'm good with that. Avoid TB as long as you can.
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

Eh...TB has been a .500 team since their ridiculous 27-3 (or whatever it was) start.
jkag89
Quote:

I'm very surprised some MLB, MiLB even independent team has not tried this here in the States. I guess no team wants to risk the possible negative reaction to it.
wangus12
AG
All depends on whether we can get and stay healthy for longer than 1-2 weeks. We've had some many people miss large chunks of time.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

Eh...TB has been a .500 team since their ridiculous 27-3 (or whatever it was) start.
Everyone in the AL seems flawed.

• TB was red hot and came back to Earth. They will still work their magic tho. Their SP has been hit with the injury bug.
  • BAL is talented but young, and their rotation is not great. They are bordering on bad.
  • TEX is like a poor man's Rays. Red hot then came back to earth. They need BP help badly.
  • CLE, MIN, CHW, or whoever from the ALC is not great.
  • TOR is talented and has solid SP & RP. They just never seem to put it all together.
  • NYY is aging right before our eyes and the young bucks aren't stepping up. That and a boatload of injuries.
  • HOU.... we know the story. Wrecked by injuries, too many rookies, once-deep SP looks held together by duck tape, and some big guns have been firing blanks.
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I'm very surprised some MLB, MiLB even independent team has not tried this here in the States. I guess no team wants to risk the possible negative reaction to it.
We get beerman yelling at us.

Ag_07
AG
Agree. The AL seems wide open

Trade deadline is going to be huge and could end up being what sets a team apart from the field.
texasaggie2015
AG
I finally had time to really dig into the Astros draft last night. Seems like we took a lot of players with high ceilings and low floors.

I don't hate it. If you hit on just a handful of these guys, it would be huge. Dana Brown spent a ton of time watching these kids in person and the Astros scouting department as a whole is one of the best in the business. I trust their eyes.

As far as the deadline goes, I don't have any updates on my end. Same story as the last couple weeks. They want at least one bullpen arm with multiple years of team control, a starting pitcher and a bat. Will they get all three? Who knows, but they'll certainly be going for it.

I don't expect them to bring in a "splash". I do expect them to bring in solid players that will provide depth who will certainly be valuable but might not make the fanbase (at least casual fans) super excited. The Astros don't need any huge pieces to contend. They just need better fortune in the second half. If they bring in two out of the three needs mentioned above, they'll be in a good spot and can certainly make a run.

The types of players I'm expecting to see (and these are just examples of the types of players, I'm not saying they will get these guys) are names like Julian Merryweather on the Cubs or Carlos Hernandez on the Royals. The casual fan probably doesn't know who these guys are but they're good arms who will help the bullpen tremendously and have multiple years of team control. Cody Bellinger maybe... he's a rental and might not be who he was in 2017, but he extends the lineup and his versatility is valuable and will allow guys to rest when needed without a big drop-off in production. Or perhaps Aaron Civale or Eduardo Rodriguez... another example of names the casual fan might not be super familiar with but will provide valuable innings and high upside in the starting rotation.

It's a fun time of year!
W
AG
the AL playoff picture is murky

especially with all 5 East teams in contention

which is one reason why the tiebreakers are going to be very important

I wish the Astros had the tiebreaker over the Blue Jays, but they don't.

it's one of Dusty's biggest sins of the 1st half -- failing to win the season series after leading 3-1 -- in part due to terrible lineups in Toronto

hopefully it won't matter because the 'stros win the West. But the club better feast on the A's and Rockies again coming out of the break
Wabs
AG
I understand the need for a bullpen arm, but as I've mentioned before I think we can add that piece by adding a quality 2/3 SP. This will allow us to move either Urquidy, Blanco or Bielak (or 2 of them) to the BP.

So add a SP and good LH bat (preferably a defensively solid OF) and let's roll.

In summary, Giolito and Bellinger.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

The casual fan probably doesn't know who these guys are but they're good arms who will help the bullpen tremendously and have multiple years of team control.

Where have we heard this story before?

Oh yeah...Ryan Pressly!!!

Dana these next few weeks

texasaggie2015
AG
They want a guy who can pitch high leverage innings when guys like Maton, Neris and Abreu need a night off. Those guys are exhausted. I suppose you could throw one of those guys in the pen, but do you really trust them to pitch big innings in that role?

Also- Stanek, Neris and Maton are all free agents after this season.. which is why they want a guy with years of control on team friendly contracts.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They want a guy who can pitch high leverage innings when guys like Maton, Neris and Abreu need a night off. Those guys are exhausted. I suppose you could throw one of those guys in the pen, but do you really trust them to pitch big innings in that role?

Also- Stanek, Neris and Maton are all free agents after this season.. which is why they want a guy with years of control on team friendly contracts.
Great point!
W
AG
and another thing about the American League...

so many folks like to trot out the phrase: "the playoffs are random" or "anything can happen" and so forth

but not in the AL since 2015. The underdogs / wildcards or 88-win teams don't make it to the world series
redline248
AG
Y'all help me understand this...

If a player is in "pre-arbitration" that means complete team control, right? So if there are 3 years of pre-arb on a contract the player is locked in for 3 years? Plus the actual arbitration years?
BMX Bandit
redline248 said:

Y'all help me understand this...

If a player is in "pre-arbitration" that means complete team control, right? So if there are 3 years of pre-arb on a contract the player is locked in for 3 years? Plus the actual arbitration years?
correct
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

so many folks like to trot out the phrase: "the playoffs are random" or "anything can happen" and so forth

but not in the AL since 2015. The underdogs / wildcards or 88-win teams don't make it to the world series

But they have fairly regularly in the NL. I guess the difference is that we stood in the way lately.
redline248
AG
Any interest in a guy like Dauri Moreta from Pittsburgh? Would he cost a lot?
texasaggie2015
AG
He's certainly the type of name I would expect them to go after. His baseball savant page makes me horny. And he has numerous years of control..

Dauri Moreta Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com | baseballsavant.com
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

But they have fairly regularly in the NL. I guess the difference is that we stood in the way lately.
That's exactly right. The NL had three 100 win teams last season and none made it to the WS.

The randomness from the MLB postseason comes from just because you had the best regular season team doesn't mean you are guaranteed to make it to the WS, much less the CS. Any team can get hot for 3 weeks in October and win it all.
texasaggie2015
AG
tjack16
AG
Since 2015

AL Winners
2015: Royals (1 seed)
2016: Indians (2 seed)
2017: Astros (2 seed)
2018: Red Sox (1 seed)
2019: Astros (1 seed)
2020: Rays (1 seed)
2021: Astros (2 seed)
2022: Astros (1 seed)

NL Winners
2015: Mets (3 seed)
2016: Cubs (1 seed)
2017: Dodgers (1 seed)
2018: Dodgers (2 seed)
2019: Nationals (wild card)
2020: Dodgers (1 seed)
2021: Braves (3 seed)
2022: Phillies (wild card)

So since 2015 (8 seasons) no AL team outside of the top 2 seeds has won the pennant. But the NL has had 4
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Makes sense. Funny how fast it shifted from bat being #1 priority to starter being #1 priority. We've had like 3-4 seasons within our season already.
tjack16
AG
Here's how the World Series matchups would have gone if only the 1 seeds won their leagues (like in the original format)

2015: Royals vs Cardinals
2016: Rangers vs Cubs
2017: Indians vs Dodgers
2018: Red Sox vs Brewers
2019: Astros vs Dodgers
2020: Rays vs Dodgers
2021: Rays vs Giants
2022: Astros vs Dodgers

That 2021 World Series would have been MLB's worst nightmare ratings and viewership wise
Beat40
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Makes sense. Funny how fast it shifted from bat being #1 priority to starter being #1 priority. We've had like 3-4 seasons within our season already.
I think SP has always really been #1, but with a smaller gap to #2, which is a BP arm. With the recent development of CJ having multiple bad games in a row, it's been bumped up to clearly #1.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Glad that he's saying this
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. It's been my #1 since we lost LuAce for the season and got the final verdict on LMJ.
redline248
AG
Ok, so what starters are we targeting? Only rentals, or someone with a couple years?

Do any of the cellar dwellers have starters that don't suck?

Cleveland is not gonna sell, being right in the hunt in that crappy division, right?
First Page Last Page
Page 1038 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.