***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,459,801 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll chime in with what I know.

Dusty is a super old school guy and he has a super old school approach to managing. If you don't do things his way, he's not going to like you.

The Astros have a ton of gym rats on the team. Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Yordan, Dubon, Peña are all known for their work ethics. They fit well with Dusty's approach. Chas is a little different. He's a good dude and he's liked in the clubhouse but he doesn't have the same mentality those other guys have. But hey… he still performs. Some guys just have different approaches and that's fine. But when you have an old school skipper like Dusty, it may rub him the wrong way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how it is. It's the same reason it took Yainer a while to crack the lineup.

There may be more to the story here, but that's about all I know/am willing to put out on a message board. Bottom line… I think Dusty needs to get over it.

And this could ultimately be the deciding factor on which OF gets moved. Time will tell.

Man, no offense to Meyers but now I sure hope Dana trades him. Just to force Dusty to have another Straw-level breakdown.
CFTXAG10
AG
We found something with Diaz at DH. He should be in the lineup every day even if it means my eyes have to bleed watching Maldy catch
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

So does that mean Diaz will lose DH at bats in order to preserve Dusty's backup catcher role?
It would be right on brand for Dusty to do that. Maybe Dusty thinks since we're going to a few NL parks, he is gonna forfeit the DH a few more times just for the fun of it.

The only problem with having Diaz at DH without a third catcher is if Maldy gets hurt. When has he left a game, if ever? The risk is miniscule. If it happens, have Diaz take the field as catcher and insert the pitcher into the lineup in the #9 spot- where Maldy always bats. Dusty can then either let the pitcher bat or play the old NL double switch / pinch hitter game.

It's such a low odds proposition, and probably not a huge negative impact given Maldy's production vs a pitcher batting a time or two, that Dusty really has no valid excuse for keeping Diaz on the bench. It's non-zero, but damn close to zero.
In the extra inning game vs the Reds, Dusty pulled Diaz from DH (forfeiting the DH) to catch after pinch hitting Altuve for Maldy in the 8th...when he had a perfectly good 3rd catcher sitting on the bench. The move completely defies logic, so I wouldn't put it past him to do it again. His dementia might kick in and think there's no DH in an NL park.
Then didn't he double down by not doing the old switcharoo and left the pitchers spot due up the next inning?
redline248
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

We found something with Diaz at DH. He should be in the lineup every day even if it means my eyes have to bleed watching Maldy catch
No, he should catch every day and someone like Dubon or Julks should DH with Maldy on the bench.
CFTXAG10
AG
redline248 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

No, he should catch every day and someone like Dubon or Julks should DH with Maldy on the bench.
I agree. But if Dusty is going to Dusty, then at least give me Diaz at DH every day
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Maybe relax on the Bellinger talk, I'm afraid if we trade for him, we might be just signing up for a version of Jose Abreu who can't stay off the weed.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

So does that mean Diaz will lose DH at bats in order to preserve Dusty's backup catcher role?
It would be right on brand for Dusty to do that. Maybe Dusty thinks since we're going to a few NL parks, he is gonna forfeit the DH a few more times just for the fun of it.

The only problem with having Diaz at DH without a third catcher is if Maldy gets hurt. When has he left a game, if ever? The risk is miniscule. If it happens, have Diaz take the field as catcher and insert the pitcher into the lineup in the #9 spot- where Maldy always bats. Dusty can then either let the pitcher bat or play the old NL double switch / pinch hitter game.

It's such a low odds proposition, and probably not a huge negative impact given Maldy's production vs a pitcher batting a time or two, that Dusty really has no valid excuse for keeping Diaz on the bench. It's non-zero, but damn close to zero.
In the extra inning game vs the Reds, Dusty pulled Diaz from DH (forfeiting the DH) to catch after pinch hitting Altuve for Maldy in the 8th...when he had a perfectly good 3rd catcher sitting on the bench. The move completely defies logic, so I wouldn't put it past him to do it again. His dementia might kick in and think there's no DH in an NL park.
Then didn't he double down by not doing the old switcharoo and left the pitchers spot due up the next inning?
Yea, the lifetime NL manager screwed up the double switch.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Maybe relax on the Bellinger talk, I'm afraid if we trade for him, we might be just signing up for a version of Jose Abreu who can't stay off the weed.
If those are the players are on the roster in October, why would anyone's "dream lineup" include a guy with sub .600 OPS playing 1B when there are at least 3 better options?
Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

The biggest issue being if that happens early the SP is burned when you put the DH in at Catcher. So say Maldonado was injured in the second inning while Framber is pitching. We know just lost our ace and have to burn the bullpen and that is then going to effect the next 2-3 games. It's actually a much bigger deal that just "put Diaz a catcher and move on"

One has nothing to do with the other. A pitcher can suck and trash the pen regardless of who is playing DH. The only question is this- is the risk of Maldy getting hurt and forcing pitchers to bat outweigh the benefit of Diaz batting DH? I say absolutely not for two reasons- Maldy does not have a history of injuries during a game and Diaz's bat over other DH options is greater than Maldy's production over a pitcher.

Unless I'm missing something else, it's a simple decision to make.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
redline248
AG
As I think more about that Chas tweet, I can't help but wonder if Dana is taking any input from Dusty on trade options. Or if he's even considered how Dusty handled last year's additions. You think he's in his office getting ready to make a phone call and stops and goes, "How long will it take this player to earn Dusty's respect and get in the lineup?"
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
You're missing that if Diaz is at DH and gets inserted in a catcher the pitcher that he is DHing for is out of the game. That is a major issue if it happens early. It's more than just having the pitchers spot hit the rest of the game.

And the answer is to just play Diaz at catcher and sit maldy then when Diaz needs a rest once a week let maldy catch framber if he insists on it.
Farmer1906
AG
Last year the move was made to bring in an upgrade at catcher. Cristian Vazquez is a veteran who caught a wide range of pitchers in Boston. The knock was, he didn't spend spring with the guys so he didn't have time to learn them all. He split time at best and was relegated to Javier's personal catcher in the postseason. If we accept that as a fair assessment, what is the excuse for not getting Diaz more time? He's spent spring with them. He's shown he is capable behind the dish (#s to come). We're almost halfway, and Diaz has caught precisely 1 game of Javier's and zero of Framber's. I know Maldy has some secret sauce to him. I do believe it. But what can be tracked is not pretty. How is Yainer supposed to be prepared if Dusty doesn't give him a shot to prepare?

Here is how the two stacks up for what can be tracked.

Blocks Above Average (min 50 pitches)
Maldonado 37th (out of 80) +1
Diaz tied for 26th +2

This is a counting stat, but Diaz is on pace for +6 if he has the block opportunities as Maldy.

Catcher Framing Runs (min 100 pitches called)
Maldonado 75th (out of 77) -7
Diaz tied in 61st -1

This is a counting stat, but Diaz is on pace for -3 if he catches the # of pitches as Maldy.

Catcher Pop Time (qualified)
Maldonado 15th (out of 65) 1.92
Diaz 7th 1.89

Catcher's Caught Stealing Above Average (qualified)
Maldonado 11th +2 (out of 61)
Diaz 6th +4

This is a counting stat, but Diaz is on pace for -+5 if he had as many SB attempts

Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) - not a fan of this one
Maldonado 78th (out of 81) -7
Diaz 21st +2

Pitching Stats by Catcher
Maldonado: 3.52 ERA, 235 BA, .298 OBP, .386 SLG, & .684 OPS
Diaz: 3.51 ERA, .251 BA, .350 OBP, .403 SLG, & .753 OPS

It's kind of close, but clear edge to Maldy on raw #s alone. Then you think about who Maldy caught the most.

Maldy
Top 3 by PA - Framber, Javier, & Brown.
Top 3 by Games - Maton, Abreu, & Pressly.

Diaz
Top 3 by PA - Brown, France, & Blanco.
Top 3 by Games - Neris, Stanek, & Montero.

Well, it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

We see the large gap offensively. The data shows there is no publically quantifiable reason for Maldonado defensively. Is it just a matter of Dusty wanting his guy, are pitchers making their voice heard, or is there more to the story? Whatever it is, it is maddening.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
OKCAg2002
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

The biggest issue being if that happens early the SP is burned when you put the DH in at Catcher. So say Maldonado was injured in the second inning while Framber is pitching. We know just lost our ace and have to burn the bullpen and that is then going to effect the next 2-3 games. It's actually a much bigger deal that just "put Diaz a catcher and move on"

To be fair, is Framber batting for Maldy that big of a difference?
redline248
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

To be fair, is Framber batting for Maldy that big of a difference?
If those videos of him blasting dongs in the offseason are accurate, it's actually a boost to the lineup.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Framber wouldn't be. He would be on the bench and a reliever would be pitching. You don't get to insert a DH in to the game AND keep the pitcher.

SH stays in his spot in the lineup but is now catching, a reliever would then be hitting in Maldy's spot
Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

You're missing that if Diaz is at DH and gets inserted in a catcher the pitcher that he is DHing for is out of the game. That is a major issue if it happens early. It's more than just having the pitchers spot hit the rest of the game.

And the answer is to just play Diaz at catcher and sit maldy then when Diaz needs a rest once a week let maldy catch framber if he insists on it.

I do not think that is a true statement. Diaz would remain in the same spot on the card and enter the game defensively. Maldy would exit the game and also the lineup card. The pitcher of record would be inserted into the lineup in place of Maldy (#9 spot) and remain in the game.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG

That seems good. Glad we have Pressly, Abreu, & Neris.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I do not think that is a true statement. Diaz would remain in the same spot on the card and enter the game defensively. Maldy would exit the game and also the lineup card. The pitcher of record would be inserted into the lineup in place of Maldy (#9 spot) and remain in the game.

You are incorrect. The DH is in the lineup for a certain person. They can not be moved to another slot in the lineup. This is why they created the Ohtani rule where he effectively DH's for himself allowing him to remain the DH when he (P) is removed from the game.

If your DH is burned and inserted into the game the person he is DHing for is also burned or vice versa, if you are DH's for a pitcher and you decide you want the pitcher to hit the DH can be removed and the pitcher is not batting for himself in that spot
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Someone is welcome to look it up and prove me wrong but that is the way I was always taught and the way it was always called when I coached…
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Astros aren't gonna have pitchers bat. Ya'll do remember that's how Lance tore his UCL in 2018 against the Dodgers, right?
texasaggie2015
AG
Most guys on the pitching staff have actually been really vocal with their desire to have Maldy behind the plate. No idea what it is exactly but they strongly prefer him.
Jet Black
Need to moneyball some of these guys so Dusty can't play them. You want to keep playing X, welp, he's been traded/released/sent down so now you can't.
Beat40
No. We NEED a closer.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Most guys on the pitching staff have actually been really vocal with their desire to have Maldy behind the plate. No idea what it is exactly but they strongly prefer him.
I mean, if you listen to the comments pitchers make about Maldy, it's not hard to understand.

They talk about how absolutely prepared he is for a game, how he calls a game, how he handles the pitchers, and how he sees the game as it's going allows them to completely trust his judgement.

I do think some of what they are saying is simply support of Maldy and to put him over a bit.

I think if Diaz is catching them and they're still performing while Diaz is mashing, they'd be ok with that situation. They still want to win more than anything.
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They need to be told to shut up and pitch.

Maybe he speaks their style of Spanish better than Diaz
Beau Holder
AG
Tbf it seems like possibly everything hurts his arm.
Ag_07
AG
Beat40 said:

No. We NEED a closer.

Sarcasm I hope
redline248
AG
There are some who don't trust Pressly.
cc10106
Between Manfred's silly statement about immunity and all the boos coming this weekend in LA, hopefully it provides a spark for this team in addition to yesterday's hard-fought W. This team fed off that stuff the last few years, and the proverbial chip may have been missing to a degree so far this season while dealing with all the other setbacks.
cc10106
I'm pretty sure Mr. Abreu can fill that role if worse comes to worst.
spadilly
S
Off days…

Boiling Denim
EastCoastAgNc said:

The Astros aren't gonna have pitchers bat. Ya'll do remember that's how Lance tore his UCL in 2018 against the Dodgers, right?
Banning things only because Lance got hurt doing them could be quite the slippery slope. Would love to see Sparky during the next locker-room celebration sipping tea instead of popping bottles
scrimp
AG
Just wanted to say thanks to those who do share some "insider" type info- texasaggie2015 and a few others (sorry if I don't give a shout out directly). It's interesting message board fodder for the off days.

scrimp
AG
And to spadilly for the off-day GIFs. Best part of the off-day.
First Page Last Page
Page 790 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.