***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,458,818 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not reading the trash article but I see two very big differences in the body of the tweet and the headline.

The tweet says if he could do it over again but the headline says he's reconsidering immunity.

I'd assume the body of the tweet is accurate. He can't really take back immunity.

It's all stupid clickbait from a loser journalist who's hanging on to the only thread that makes him relevant in his dying professional field.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
as previously mentioned...there's no way the players union would have let the Astros players talk to Manfred's investigators without immunity.

and it's absolute garbage to still be talking about this and the "what ifs" six years later
AggiEE
Wabs said:

You can't "reconsider" immunity. That's ****ing dumb. Makes every piece of evidence they found under immunity rendered useless. And by the way, has immunity ever been given to ANY other players while their team has been investigated?? Manfred can go **** himself.

Our crowd should start a New York style "****.rob.man.fred" chant everytime that slimey POS hands us a championship trophy
FrioAg 00
AG
If you are going to take our 2017 championship away, then you also have to give us 2019.

Scherzer has now been busted multiple times for cheating with sticky stuff on his hands, and his 2019 post season spin rate was a huge outlier compared to everything else he's thrown in his career.

There is a reason that mediocre team got white hot all of a sudden.
Mr.Ackar07
FrioAg 00 said:

If you are going to take our 2017 championship away, then you also have to give us 2019.

Scherzer has now been busted multiple times for cheating with sticky stuff on his hands, and his 2019 post season spin rate was a huge outlier compared to everything else he's thrown in his career.

There is a reason that mediocre team got white hot all of a sudden.

Heck, give us 2018 as well. Those Red Sox got off easy with their cheating scandal. Where's Manfred's remorse there?
tjack16
AG
I just think it's hilarious how this article comes out right before our Dodger stadium trip. Same thing happened last year when we were about to go to Yankee stadium.

MLB is trying to drive up drama any chance they get. Do they not believe in their own product enough to just let the drama happen naturally?
Harry Dunne
stoneca said:

Farmer1906 said:

My view from the game.

great crowd for a 1 pm Wednesday game especially with the team struggling
Great crowd.

Breggy ring giveaway + school is out.

My section (319) was uncomfortably warm. What a waste to build a retractable roof.
tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

stoneca said:

Farmer1906 said:

My view from the game.

Great crowd.

My section (319) was uncomfortably warm. What a waste to build a retractable roof.

It was insanely hot on Tuesday night too. Guess A/C is too pricey?
Ag4life80
AG
2018 and 2019

Mookie Betts is beloved, yet did not deny earlier this year that the Red Sox cheated Astro style in 2018.
Why wouldn't they, as Cora and his hero Beltran were the two lead guys in the scheme.
TexAg2001
AG
I heard during a broadcast last week that they keep the roof open and close it shortly before batting practice starts, so there's not enough time for the AC to condition the whole place before the game starts. They probably need to rethink their procedure, especially during the summertime and when there are record setting heatwaves.

During that game, you could see that both pitchers were sweating profusely in the 1st inning. That's why the topic came up.
PSully97
AG
tjack16 said:

Harry Dunne said:

stoneca said:

Farmer1906 said:

My view from the game.

Great crowd.

I've got a neighbor whose company rented MMP out for an event and they charged them $2500 per hour for AC. This was in the fall and I'm sure it is double that or more when its 100 out. But low enough that they can afford it when there's a pretty full house.

I have sat in the upper seats @MMP and been uncomfortable several times. It would be worth it if the roof were open on the occasional beautiful spring and fall days but if it's going to stay closed 99% of the time anyway I agree, total waste.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Apparently according to a new interview Manfred regrets giving the Astros players immunity. Lol in other words he regrets it all getting out and hanging over his head. Cause if you think for one second that they would have talked at all without immunity you are crazy!

What a clown
MAROON
AG
Nice.

CFTXAG10
AG
I mean, we all knew this, but interesting to see it in black and white on The Athletic

Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hopefully the choice is not either or. I think the supply of mid tier arms are much more readily available than impact bats.

If we get an impact bat where do you put it?

I think Yordan, Tucker, Altuve, Bregman, & Pena are locks to stay in their roles. We don't need Chas & Yainer to have their roles reduced. They need more if anything. That's 7 guys right there. Abreu & Maldy are not going to be fully phased out. That leaves Dubon, Meyers, & Julks on the bench and potentially Brantley.
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. The idea of adding a bat sounds great, but like you said, at full strength, we don't have alot of open spots in the lineup. If Brantley returns and shows he can produce, that makes things even tighter.

I don't really want to add another .700-800 OPS guy. We have plenty of those. I guess you can make the case for a lefty to balance out the lineup, platoon, etc. Whatever. Dusty don't care bout that.

If we're going to deal for a bat, I want it to be a clear upgrade over what we've got. Like someone who will be the second/third best hitter in the lineup. I say add the best bat we can, then figure out where to play him. If the best bat available is 3B (for example), then DH him and Yordan goes to full time LF.

The obvious problem is "then figure out where to play him" isn't Dusty's strength.

Anyway. I don't know who the best hitter available is going to be. But assuming we're going to continue down a path to win this year, that's who I want. If we get Yordan back, get Altuve going, get Bregman/Tucker back to their historical levels, and also add a thumper to the middle of the lineup, all of a sudden our prospects this year look alot brighter.
All I do is Nguyen
If we trade Chas this board and the fanbase may riot. He made a potentially game saving catch in the WS last year and has shown to be a good contributor, more so than Jake.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Depending on how you slice it, Chas is either 2nd (wRC+) or 3rd (OPS+) best offensively on the entire team thus far. Altuve, Tucker, Diaz, & Chas are all grouped very closely together. Overall, the sample size is now almost 900 PA in his career. He's got a .752 OPS & 113 wRC+. Very respectable. Then you add in his 22 OAA (12 in '21, 7 in '22, & 3 thus far in '23) and he's above average in the box and field. He's got another 4.5 years left. He should outlast Dusty by a good bit in Houston.
agdaddy04
AG
In those comments is the first time I've seen Chandler Rome be referred to as an excellent journalist
Harry Dunne
CFTXAG10 said:

I mean, we all knew this, but interesting to see it in black and white on The Athletic

it's gotta be personal.
agdaddy04
AG
I know we've all thought Dusty didn't like Chas, but what would the reasoning be?
gougler08
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I know we've all thought Dusty didn't like Chas, but what would the reasoning be?
Too white
agdaddy04
AG
And Meyers isn't?
Harry Dunne
agdaddy04 said:

We will never know until years from now when the book comes out. Maybe he boned Myles straw's girlfriend. Maybe he dressed in blackface for a college frat party. Who knows?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Maybe he dicked up his daughter?
Ag_07
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Who knows.

Could be anything from he changed the channel of the clubhouse TV off of Dusty's Wheel of Fortune to he ate the last of the green jello to he doesn't care for Dusty's table red blend.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hopefully the choice is not either or. I think the supply of mid tier arms are much more readily available than impact bats.

If we get an impact bat where do you put it?

I think Yordan, Tucker, Altuve, Bregman, & Pena are locks to stay in their roles. We don't need Chas & Yainer to have their roles reduced. They need more if anything. That's 7 guys right there. Abreu & Maldy are not going to be fully phased out. That leaves Dubon, Meyers, & Julks on the bench and potentially Brantley.
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. The idea of adding a bat sounds great, but like you said, at full strength, we don't have alot of open spots in the lineup. If Brantley returns and shows he can produce, that makes things even tighter.

I don't really want to add another .700-800 OPS guy. We have plenty of those. I guess you can make the case for a lefty to balance out the lineup, platoon, etc. Whatever. Dusty don't care bout that.

If we're going to deal for a bat, I want it to be a clear upgrade over what we've got. Like someone who will be the second/third best hitter in the lineup. I say add the best bat we can, then figure out where to play him. If the best bat available is 3B (for example), then DH him and Yordan goes to full time LF.

The obvious problem is "then figure out where to play him" isn't Dusty's strength.

Anyway. I don't know who the best hitter available is going to be. But assuming we're going to continue down a path to win this year, that's who I want. If we get Yordan back, get Altuve going, get Bregman/Tucker back to their historical levels, and also add a thumper to the middle of the lineup, all of a sudden our prospects this year look alot brighter.
No easy answer, but Cody makes the most sense to me. He's versatile enough to play CF & 1B, a lefty bat, & an affordable rental. He can share time with Abreu & Chas. If it costs someone like Jake then we don't give up any prized prospects.

Who wouldn't love a big bopper to just insert into the lineup, but I am not sure that guy is available. Even if he is, I don't think he is affordable for us.

Here is the type of lineup we could run out with a healthy Brantly & Belo. This is me doing my best Dusty impression while still utilizing the new bats.

Vs RHP
R Altuve - 2B
L Brantley - DH
R Bregman - 3B
L Alvarez - LF
R Diaz - C
L Tucker - RF
R Pena - SS
L Bellinger - 1B
R McCormick - CF

Vs LHP
R Altuve - 2B
R Pena - SS
L Alvarez - LF
R Bregman - 3B
L Tucker - RF
R Abreu - 1B
R Diaz - DH
R McCormick - CF
R Maldonado - C
Deluxe
AG
Here's my theory about Dusty/Chas:

Dusty thinks CF defense is very important, as shown by his persistence to play Straw and Siri out there the last few years. He leans on his eye test to determine who's a good CF and who's not.

Straw had blazing speed that was obvious to Dusty's eye. Siri aced Dusty's eye test due his size, Dominican swag, and ability to "effortlessly glide" to the ball. Fair enough. Both those guys are good CFs.

But I don't think Dusty pays attention to or cares about advanced defensive metrics showing Chas is a good CF too. In Dusty's eyes, he's too small and scrappy to be a big league CF.

Again, just a theory. I'm in no way defending his partiality against Chas.
Deluxe
AG
I like it. I wish you were our manager.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Vs RHP
R Altuve - 2B
L Brantley - DH
R Bregman - 3B
L Alvarez - LF
R Diaz - C
L Tucker - RF
R Pena - SS
L Bellinger - 1B
R McCormick - CF

This lineup gets us back to the better Houston offenses during this ALCS run. They have to hit, of course, but I would go to war with that group- in whatever order Dusty dreams up.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
OKCAg2002
AG
tjack16 said:

Harry Dunne said:

stoneca said:

Farmer1906 said:

My view from the game.

Great crowd.

I don't know about too pricy, but I was there for the Nationals series and it was really muggy and uncomfortable. The concourses felt more humid than I remember. Rumor is that the A/C is not 100% functional and that parts are needed to repair it.

Or…it's just impossible to cool it in time for first pitch.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Dusty thinks CF defense is very important, as shown by his persistence to play Straw and Siri out there the last few years. He leans on his eye test to determine who's a good CF and who's not.

Straw had blazing speed that was obvious to Dusty's eye. Siri aced Dusty's eye test due his size, Dominican swag, and ability to "effortlessly glide" to the ball. Fair enough. Both those guys are good CFs.

But I don't think Dusty pays attention to or cares about advanced defensive metrics showing Chas is a good CF too. In Dusty's eyes, he's too small and scrappy to be a big league CF.

I believe this nails it. And Jake fits that long lean CF who glides and covers massive amount of territory as well.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Straw had blazing speed that was obvious to Dusty's eye. Siri aced Dusty's eye due his size, Dominican swag, and ability to "effortlessly glide" to the ball. Fair enough. Both those guys are good CFs.

Dusty still thinks it is 1978 and wants a defense-first lineup that wins 2-1 games night after night. I'm all for winning however it comes, but teams and parks are now constructed for 5 runs a game on average and he needs an offense that can match.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll chime in with what I know.

Dusty is a super old school guy and he has a super old school approach to managing. If you don't do things his way, he's not going to like you.

The Astros have a ton of gym rats on the team. Altuve, Bregman, Brantley, Yordan, Dubon, Peña are all known for their work ethics. They fit well with Dusty's approach. Chas is a little different. He's a good dude and he's liked in the clubhouse but he doesn't have the same mentality those other guys have. But hey… he still performs. Some guys just have different approaches and that's fine. But when you have an old school skipper like Dusty, it may rub him the wrong way.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how it is. It's the same reason it took Yainer a while to crack the lineup.

There may be more to the story here, but that's about all I know/am willing to put out on a message board. Bottom line… I think Dusty needs to get over it.

And this could ultimately be the deciding factor on which OF gets moved. Time will tell.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Sadly if its already a deciding factor in who plays it should be a factor in who is traded. If there are two guys who are about equal which Chaz and Jake are, and the manager prefers and likes one more…then you trade the other guy.

But yea he's a Stoney old man who needs to make his exit.
First Page Last Page
Page 788 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.