***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,462,099 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So tired of the played out 'Learn the pitching staff' excuse.

I used to buy into that BS then Vasquez came in last year at the deadline and had a lower ERA then Maldy and caught a no hitter in the WS.

Diaz was in ST the entire time including when Maldy was in the WBC...Did he not catch any of those guys for 2 months?

redline248
AG
Quote:

There's a reason Maldy was re-signed. Just saying...
Could that reason be that we had no GM and Dusty was allowed a lot of input?

edit: I think I'm off by a year, here. Maldy re-signed in 2021?
linkdude
AG
Bulldog73
AG
Considering how hurt Maldy was, Vasquez was much needed insurance. I'm just surprised he didn't play much.
Dies Irae
would have love to have been able to keep Vasquez for 3/30. He's playing well this year, 800 OPS.
Beat40
redline248 said:

Quote:

There's a reason Maldy was re-signed. Just saying...
Could that reason be that we had no GM and Dusty was allowed a lot of input?

edit: I think I'm off by a year, here. Maldy re-signed in 2021?
The Astros may have re-singed Maldy anyway, but his option vested last year because of how much he ended up playing.

I personally think if his option wouldn't have vested, the Astros would have re-signed Vazquez.
htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

I feel like Dusty is that guy in the group project who is unreliable, doesn't know what's going on, but then on the day of the presentation he comes in and nails it out of nowhere.

The regular season he's horribly frustrating, inept at times… but when the postseason hits he has been absolute nails with his decisions.
Almost like he knows what the "right" decision is but likes giving different players a variety of chances over the course of the season (for a multitude of reasons) because every game isn't a must win like the playoffs.....
agproducer
AG
Our buddy Chandler has heard our discussion.

https://theathletic.com/4426381/2023/04/19/yainer-diaz-prospect-astros-at-bats?source=user-shared-article

Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

I feel like Dusty is that guy in the group project who is unreliable, doesn't know what's going on, but then on the day of the presentation he comes in and nails it out of nowhere.

The regular season he's horribly frustrating, inept at times… but when the postseason hits he has been absolute nails with his decisions.
Almost like he knows what the "right" decision is but likes giving different players a variety of chances over the course of the season (for a multitude of reasons) because every game isn't a must win like the playoffs.....

Exactly. It isn't a "must win" which is why it's important to develop players like Diaz.
Marvin
AG
There is no defense to pinch-hitting Salazar with the game on the line. None.
Faustus
W said:

looking for Big Luis to deliver a series win tonight
I'd just like to see him go 6 while only giving up 3 for the first time this season.
htxag09
AG
Eh, every time it's brought up from now on I'll remember Niko and the outrage everyone had over Dusty continuing to play him.
Quote:

It's so bad, he's either incompetent or purposely throwing games!!!!
Guess who was cut and didn't take up a spot on our World Series Championship roster......
Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

Eh, every time it's brought up from now on I'll remember Niko and the outrage everyone had over Dusty continuing to play him.
Quote:

It's so bad, he's either incompetent or purposely throwing games!!!!
Guess who was cut and didn't take up a spot on our World Series Championship roster......

Funny you bring him up. He was a obvious platoon player that rarely got played vs LHP. Career .816 OPS. Dusty gave him 8 PA vs LHP.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

https://theathletic.com/4426381/2023/04/19/yainer-diaz-prospect-astros-at-bats?source=user-shared-article

Read between the lines:

Quote:

"I think he's getting some valuable at-bats here," Dana Brown said before the game. "At some point, we may be able to give him a few more at-bats. Dusty can get a little more creative, whether it's DH or potentially left field. I don't think he's losing development time. I think, at some point, he'll get over the 300 at-bats that I think we need him to get. I don't think his development will be hindered at all, but sooner he'll get in more games, hopefully."
He's on pace for 162 ABs.

Farmer1906
AG
My last comment on this dead horse conversation... until the lineup is posted and I ***** 1 more time.

This is from Harry in the 2021 thread:

Quote:

The catcher position hit .228 with an OPS of .695 - Maldonado hit .172 with an OPS of .573.

He's a good defender, but 56 points of BA and 122 of OPS is a huge amount. As far as I can tell, he's the 2nd worst hitting catcher in baseball this season behind Austin Hedges and there is a significant gap between them and the middle of the pack (.730ish OPS)

The average SS hits .257 and has a .729 OPS. Would you be OK with a SS that hit .201 and had a .607 OPS? How good of a fielder would he have to be to make that OK?

Just for perspective the worst hitting season Adam Everett ever had as a regular was .239 with a .642 OPS...and he had a 4.1 defensive WAR that year which led baseball and was the 15th best defensive WAR of all time, so basically the best defender in baseball that year.
We have been having this conversation about Maldonado for 3 seasons now.

Castro, Vazquez, and now Diaz cannot overthrow the king behind the plate.

linkdude
AG
RC_57
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agproducer said:

Read between the lines:

Quote:

"I think he's getting some valuable at-bats here," Dana Brown said before the game. "At some point, we may be able to give him a few more at-bats. Dusty can get a little more creative, whether it's DH or potentially left field. I don't think he's losing development time. I think, at some point, he'll get over the 300 at-bats that I think we need him to get. I don't think his development will be hindered at all, but sooner he'll get in more games, hopefully."
He's on pace for 162 ABs.

We'll, in fairness to Dana, he didn't state how many seasons it would take to get those 300 ABs .
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My last comment on this dead horse conversation... until the lineup is posted and I ***** 1 more time.

This is from Harry in the 2021 thread:

Quote:

The catcher position hit .228 with an OPS of .695 - Maldonado hit .172 with an OPS of .573.

He's a good defender, but 56 points of BA and 122 of OPS is a huge amount. As far as I can tell, he's the 2nd worst hitting catcher in baseball this season behind Austin Hedges and there is a significant gap between them and the middle of the pack (.730ish OPS)

The average SS hits .257 and has a .729 OPS. Would you be OK with a SS that hit .201 and had a .607 OPS? How good of a fielder would he have to be to make that OK?

Just for perspective the worst hitting season Adam Everett ever had as a regular was .239 with a .642 OPS...and he had a 4.1 defensive WAR that year which led baseball and was the 15th best defensive WAR of all time, so basically the best defender in baseball that year.
We have been having this conversation about Maldonado for 3 seasons now.

Castro, Vazquez, and now Diaz cannot overthrow the king behind the plate.

The Astros and everyone know it, and Dusty doesn't care
agproducer
AG
That is exactly my point. They are seeing what they have in Salazar and the Diaz ABs will come.
linkdude
AG
Farmer1906
AG

Update. Diaz projected ABs down to 153. Maldy has now started 5 of the last 6. Diaz has started 5 total starts (4 catcher, 1 DH). If the rotation turns over before the next start, pitchers will tie him in # of starts soon.
All I do is Nguyen

redline248
AG
Quote:

Dusty can get a little more creative, whether it's DH or potentially left field.
Hensley 7
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

That is exactly my point. They are seeing what they have in Salazar and the Diaz ABs will come.

Do you think fewer at bats will be available or more when Brantley & Altuve get back?
redline248
AG
It doesn't matter as long as the Astros find out what they have in Salazar

/sarcasm
agproducer
AG
What's going on here?

Also, we thought the Oxy patch was hideous.

Beau Holder
AG
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

This isn't a rhetorical question nor a leading one. Just a legitimately curious one after reading "every game isn't a must win" in this context. What is the cut off before the manager should be expected to at least attempt to win games? May? June? How many games back do you have to be before it qualifies?

Salazar has no spot on this roster once it's healthy and Lee or Diaz is ready to be the full-time backup. The team's GM has been very transparent about this. There is no meaningful "finding out what you have" in the context in which you send him out to face Jordan Romano while your hit-first catching prospect is languishing in the dugout.
Mathguy64
AG
So now we have two different NY pitchers who appear to have been found with something on their hands or in their glove that should not be there and both were allowed to clean up.

Nothing to see boys. Nothing to see here at all.
spadilly
S

Mathguy64
AG
Wait, He got caught, got told to clean up and was dumb enough to still keep doing it?

Here is your sign Max.
agproducer
AG
No, because I think Salazar will be sent down when LMJ or Altuve is activated. Diaz will take Salazar's ABs and he will serve as primary backup catcher.

I think the transactions will be:

Julks sent down when Brantley is back (because of options/not performance).
Salazar down when Altuve is back.

Edited to correct idiocy.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
agproducer said:

No, because I think Salazar will be sent down when LMJ or Altuve is activated. Diaz will take Salazar's ABs and he will serve as primary backup catcher.

I think the transactions will be:

Julks sent down when Brantley is back (because of options/not performance).
Salazar down when Altuve is back.
Meyers or Hensley down when LMJ is back.

You expect to keep 14 pitchers when Lance comes back? He will replace a different pitcher
n_touch
Mathguy64 said:

Wait, He got caught, got told to clean up and was dumb enough to still keep doing it?

Here is your sign Max.
Must be a New York thing
agproducer
AG
Nope. You're right. Martinez or Blanco will go down when LMJ is back.
spadilly
S
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.