***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,462,085 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like we're not facing Degrom this weekend. Perez, Gray and Heaney.

I wonder if he'll still be healthy by the time we play them in early July.....
Harry Dunne
Wabs said:

AustinCountyAg said:

this. no way in hell you trade Dubon if he continues what he's doing. Biggest factors being that he's controllable and cheap.
I would never say "no way in hell". Depends on what the other team offers, no?
for sure. Let's be real, he's a potentially valuable piece but this is the highest his trade value will probably ever be.

Someone out there might be convinced he is the next Ben Zobrist.
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

He said he put on 20 lbs this off-season. Possibly that was muscle weight and made him stronger and faster. It doesn't take much at this level to make a difference. And we are talking about going from .200 to .250. That's a 5/100 increase. 5 balls that fall in that didn't before. Being a little quicker and stronger makes that happen.

Whatever it is I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I hope he becomes the next Marwin.
I think he probably is the next Marwin minus 2017 - take away that season and he is Isaiah Kiner Falafel.
Dies Irae
Harry Dunne said:

Mathguy64 said:

He said he put on 20 lbs this off-season. Possibly that was muscle weight and made him stronger and faster. It doesn't take much at this level to make a difference. And we are talking about going from .200 to .250. That's a 5/100 increase. 5 balls that fall in that didn't before. Being a little quicker and stronger makes that happen.

Whatever it is I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I hope he becomes the next Marwin.
I think he probably is the next Marwin minus 2017 - take away that season and he is Isaiah Kiner Falafel.

All I do is Nguyen
Wabs said:

Looks like we're not facing Degrom this weekend. Perez, Gray and Heaney.

I wonder if he'll be healthy at all.....
FIFY
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Mathguy64
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Mathguy64 said:

He's a utility guy giving 3-4 guys a day off each week Or covering an IL stint as needed. I'll take IKF level from that all day. Especially given his cost.
Ag_07
AG
Is DeGrom not healthy? I missed that
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Is DeGrom not healthy? I missed that
He pitched on Tuesday, so I'm assuming he pitches on Monday? I thought he'd be matched with Framber on Sunday but apparently not....
Farmer1906
AG
Yainer had 3 throwdowns yesterday (1 for 3) and 1 in his previous start. While the sample is still tiny, it's a strong start. His pop time is tied in third for guys with more than 1 throwdown. His arm strength is second only to JT Realmuto.

Outside of 1 poor frame job for a nasty Abreu slider, I didn't notice anything bad behind the plate. Either the defensive issues in the scouting reports were overstated or Diaz has worked his ass off to get better.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

Either the defensive issues in the scouting reports were overstated or Diaz has worked his ass off to get better.
From what I've heard, most of the concerns came from Diaz having a lack of interest in catching over the last couple years. He was so focused on his bat and versatility and simply lost interest in catching and wasn't putting the work in.

I believe that changed this offseason and he's put a lot of hard work into improving behind the plate. Good for him.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/yainer-diaz-astros-fit-catcher-plan-offense-17893207.php

I am not sure when Brown had these quotes, but it sounds like the trust is not there yet.

Quote:

"I think if he gets hot with the bat, he may play a little bit more," Brown said Wednesday. "Right now, he's being groomed under (Maldonado) in terms of catching, throwing. His bat will, at some point, have a life of its own. I think that's when you may see him in the lineup a little bit more. Don't want to put too much pressure on a young kid right now."

The team demonstrated its trust or lack thereof in Diaz's defense during Tuesday's 7-4 loss against the Pirates. Manager Dusty Baker pinch-hit for Maldonado during Houston's ninth inning rally. Salazar, not Diaz, entered the game to catch the home-half, making clear what's long been known: Diaz has to hit his way into the starting lineup.

"At the end of the day, the way the roster is constructed, we have (Maldonado) as our everyday guy," Brown said. "We're breaking in Diaz and we can also give Diaz some at-bats in the DH spot if we have that third catcher. It's going to allow us some flexibility. I think you'll see it more as we go forward."

Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen
It was only a matter of time. The faster games are hurting teams bottom line for food/merch sales.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
MAROON
AG
Farmer1906 said:

saw that coming a mile away.

shorter games = lower revenues (concession as well as advertising)

Lower Revenues eventually = ???? (smaller increases or no increases in avg player salaries, a few team have to move to bigger markets to survive, much higher ticket prices)
Farmer1906
AG
Forrest Whitley after 2 outings:

.077 BA
.226 OBP
.192 SLG
.418 OPS

1.13 ERA
0.625 WHIP

12.4 K/9
3.4 BB/9
texasaggie2015
AG
Is that decent?
Wabs
AG
I've always thought the "pushback" that MLB would get for the pitch clock change would not come from the fans, it would come from the owners. Teams are starting to adjust by expanding alcohol sales windows. Will this be enough to recover the lost revenue? Time will tell I guess.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Wabs
AG
He makes a great point.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

Either the defensive issues in the scouting reports were overstated or Diaz has worked his ass off to get better.
From what I've heard, most of the concerns came from Diaz having a lack of interest in catching over the last couple years. He was so focused on his bat and versatility and simply lost interest in catching and wasn't putting the work in.

I believe that changed this offseason and he's put a lot of hard work into improving behind the plate. Good for him.
Do you think the front office sees him as a future full time catcher now? Or is he still seen more as a backup C with DH/1B/LF flex?

Maybe TBD depending on how he progresses behind the plate this year.

I'm glad he's up with the big club working with Maldy and the pitching staff behind the scenes everyday. Given that April typically isn't when we make our run anyway, it would be nice to get Diaz a few more reps behind the plate and let him learn from his mistakes. Added benefit of lightening Maldy's load now before we hit the dog days.
CFTXAG10
AG
I tend to believe that those who truly want to drink through the end of the game have always found a way. Doubt this changes much of anything.
Ag_07
AG
It is

Except if you've drank enough to be drunk then 22 mins vs 45 mins doesn't mean shlt.

You're not sobering up and the 7 inning cutoff was just a CYA gaslighting by the teams. Hell in suites and clubs they've always sold until the end.
Ag4life80
AG
Farmer1906 said:

.077 BA
.226 OBP
.192 SLG
.418 OPS

1.13 ERA
0.625 WHIP

12.4 K/9
3.4 BB/9
Don't forget his previous start against the Astros at MMP. Really good then, too
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm not saying he's going to be Wilson Conteras, but I do think the Wilson Conteras role is sort of how the Astros see him. He won't ever be the primary catcher (at least as of today), but he'll have his fair share of starts behind the plate but also get his ABs in the lineup at DH, 1B, LF.

I think a part of it is also longevity. He has a really, really good bat and the Astros have full confidence his success in the minor leagues will translate to the big leagues over time. They don't want to wear him down by catching every day.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

.077 BA
.226 OBP
.192 SLG
.418 OPS

1.13 ERA
0.625 WHIP

12.4 K/9
3.4 BB/9
As other teams' rotations start wearing down due to fatigue/injury this summer, we've got LMJ, Whitley and Blanco just chillin in reserve. It's my favorite Astros competitive advantage over the 162.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

Do you think the front office sees him as a future full time catcher now? Or is he still seen more as a backup C with DH/1B/LF flex?

Maybe TBD depending on how he progresses behind the plate this year.

I'm glad he's up with the big club working with Maldy and the pitching staff behind the scenes everyday. Given that April typically isn't when we make our run anyway, it would be nice to get Diaz a few more reps behind the plate and let him learn from his mistakes. Added benefit of lightening Maldy's load now before we hit the dog days.
I hope it's both. I want Lee to be a big leaguer player too.

With Brantley no longer under contract next year, more DH at bats will be available.

2024-2028 Diaz and Lee can share reps 50/50 and Diaz can get another 1 or 2 starts a week at DH or a flex position.

Both will be cheap. It'll keep both from wearing down.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm not saying he's going to be Wilson Conteras, but I do think the Wilson Conteras role is sort of how the Astros see him. He won't ever be the primary catcher (at least as of today), but he'll have his fair share of starts behind the plate but also get his ABs in the lineup at DH, 1B, LF.

I think a part of it is also longevity. He has a really, really good bat and the Astros have full confidence his success in the minor leagues will translate to the big leagues over time. They don't want to wear him down by catching every day.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Flex position. Unless we carry a third catcher Diaz can't DH.
texasaggie2015
AG
Not a bad piece considering the cost was Myles Straw

Oops... meant to reply to Deluxe
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Flex position. Unless we carry a third catcher Diaz can't DH.
Which Brown is showing us, he's willing to do.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Click did well at finding under-the-radar contributors in trades
Eso si, Que es
Farmer1906 said:

Yainer had 3 throwdowns yesterday (1 for 3) and 1 in his previous start. While the sample is still tiny, it's a strong start. His pop time is tied in third for guys with more than 1 throwdown. His arm strength is second only to JT Realmuto.

Outside of 1 poor frame job for a nasty Abreu slider, I didn't notice anything bad behind the plate. Either the defensive issues in the scouting reports were overstated or Diaz has worked his ass off to get better.
One incident where Urquidy shook him off 5 times and then just took the pitch clock violation. Not a bug deal, but pitchers may not be getting the pitched they want. Urquidy threw a hell of a game so it is probably not an issue. He also caught Brown's outing last week that went so well if I remember correctly.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I agree.

I am more referring to next year post-Maldy and also probably post Uncle Mike
Farmer1906
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Farmer1906 said:

One incident where Urquidy shook him off 5 times and then just took the pitch clock violation. Not a bug deal, but pitchers may not be getting the pitched they want. Urquidy threw a hell of a game so it is probably not an issue. He also caught Brown's outing last week that went so well if I remember correctly.

Sounds like a 50-50 thing. If Urquidy trusts him to call the game then trust him to call the game. If not, then wear it yourself and call pitches now.

I have a feeling, as an organization, our catchers are better prepared to call the most effective game. They seem to be the ones most dialed into the scouting reports and game plan. Maybe that's just a Maldonado thing tho.
Mathguy64
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Click did well at finding under-the-radar contributors in trades

He stole Montero from Seattle right under their noses.
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.