***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,461,907 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W said:

if Dubon gets 300 at-bats in 2023...something has gone really, really wrong with the season
Harry Dunne
In all seriousness Dubon has an .835 career AAA OPS and his last half a season in AAA he hit .332 with a .908 OPS.

I'm not saying he's going to Wally Pipp Altuve, but there's no reason he can't be a league average major league hitter. Which sounds like Mike Trout compared to what he had been.
redline248
AG
I'll say this, Dubon was so bad for us at the plate last year that I'm happy for him he's on a tear. He'll cool off, but maybe he can stay right around average.
The Porkchop Express
AG
What would Dubon's batting average have to be at for the Astros to not start Altuve when he came back. .650? .800?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Wabs
AG
Rangers got their asses handed to them before they get their asses handed to them this weekend,
jkag89
Dusty could use Dubon as a super utility player much like Bill Spiers for the 'Stros in the late '90s when Tuve returns.
JPN06
I know you're kidding, but as peak trashcan Marwin proved, there's always a spot for you even in a loaded lineup if you can rake & play several positions.
Ag_07
AG
We just need Dubon to wait until Altuve gets back before he comes back down to earth.

That's it. As long as he waits until Altuve is back before he turns into a pumpkin IDGAF what he does after that.
redline248
AG
Looking at Chas a bit deeper...

Today he raised his average from .250 to .275 and has his OPS up to .870. However, he still hasn't really found his "mean," as it were, b/c he only has found 1 barrel in 25 balls in play. His 2 homers had exit velocities of 100.0 and 96.6.

He's maybe been a bit lucky with his hits, with only an xBA of .158, but that's probably due to his lack of barrels. He doesn't chase much, but he does whiff a little more than we'd like.

Should be fun to watch as he starts getting some more hard hit balls. In particular he's usually punishing fastballs and he's underperforming his career on them pretty drastically, at the moment, with an xwOBA of only .204.
Frok
AG
I still think Dubon sucks
redline248
AG
Frok said:

I still think Dubon sucks
As long as he's playing back up 2B or SS when Altuve comes back, and NOT being thrown in CF on a f-cking whim, I don't care.
Silent For Too Long
Was doing some research today and saw Dusty will eclipse 6000 games as a player or coach this year. Pretty amazing statistic.

(And there will still be people who think they understand the game of baseball better then him ).
W
AG
Harry Dunne said:

W said:

if Dubon gets 300 at-bats in 2023...something has gone really, really wrong with the season

Astros are 3-6 in his 9 nine starts

very Mike Trout-esque
All I do is Nguyen
I found this interesting

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Prosperdick
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Was doing some research today and saw Dusty will eclipse 6000 games as a player or coach this year. Pretty amazing statistic.

(And there will still be people who think they understand the game of baseball better then him ).
With 6000 games logged he should know that nobody is infallible, including him. Starting Meyers over Chaz the first two games is just one example.
redline248
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

To whom should Dusty send his 1st thank you card? The rat Mike Fiers? If not for him, Dusty would still be unemployed
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Dies Irae
looks like we're watching Moana tonight
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
9u baseball for myself. Hoping Jobu wakes up the bats
All I do is Nguyen
I bet the under on the As/Orioles and Tigers/Blue jays games today so I will at least have something to monitor
No matter what!
The Porkchop Express
AG
After 13-1/2 years of marriage I've finally convince my wife to watch Arrested Development, so we'll do a couple of episodes tonight.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
07ag
AG
Aggie baseball on ESPNU tonight
https://ts.la/eric59704
All I do is Nguyen
Just in time for our series
No matter what!
Farmer1906
AG
Ags play at 7 on ESPNU.

BTHO Mizzou
AustinCountyAg
this. no way in hell you trade Dubon if he continues what he's doing. Biggest factors being that he's controllable and cheap.
FrioAg 00
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ags play at 7 on ESPNU.

BTHO Mizzou

Great catch - I hadn't looked at our weekend and would have missed this one
Deluxe
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

this. no way in hell you trade Dubon if he continues what he's doing. Biggest factors being that he's controllable and cheap.
Yea.

Dubon sub .600 OPS (like last year) - let's see what the young guys can do
Dubon .600-.700 OPS - plug your nose and roll with him as utility guy
Dubon .700+ OPS - a super valuable roster piece
Wabs
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I would never say "no way in hell". Depends on what the other team offers, no?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Utility guys are literally more valuable than trades. Teams that utilize them (the upper tier) don't trade away quality youngsters for a guy whose whole job is spell their regulars and late inning PH

AustinCountyAg
Wabs said:

AustinCountyAg said:

I would never say "no way in hell". Depends on what the other team offers, no?
well technically, yes, but you get my point.
Farmer1906
AG
Seager missed significant time in 2018 (age 24), 2021 (27), and now in 2023 (29). He's already one of the slower, weaker-armed short stops. He's still owed over 250 M after this year. And these are the years where he's supposed to overperform the salary. But last year he had a wRC+ of just 117. Unless Seager magically stays healthy and ages well, this is going to look like a boat anchor of a deal.
Mathguy64
AG
He said he put on 20 lbs this off-season. Possibly that was muscle weight and made him stronger and faster. It doesn't take much at this level to make a difference. And we are talking about going from .200 to .250. That's a 5/100 increase. 5 balls that fall in that didn't before. Being a little quicker and stronger makes that happen.

Whatever it is I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I hope he becomes the next Marwin.
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

He said he put on 20 lbs this off-season. Possibly that was muscle weight and made him stronger and faster. It doesn't take much at this level to make a difference. And we are talking about going from .200 to .250. That's a 5/100 increase. 5 balls that fall in that didn't before. Being a little quicker and stronger makes that happen.

Whatever it is I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I hope he becomes the next trash can Marwin.

FIFY

Post trash can Marwin was well...Trash.
Dies Irae
but 147 OPS+ marvin was a fiend. Say what you want about that trash can banging, but it probably made he and his family an extra $12,000,000 or so over his career.
Farmer1906
AG
He got MVP votes. What a glorious time.
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.