***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,462,311 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tigers have won two games all year, I will let you guess who those two games were against
redline248
AG
Astros had 2 pitch clock violations on the mound today, and both times I think the pitcher was beginning his delivery. MLB has to adjust that enough to where the extra second or two is still faster than the 20 or so seconds to stop play, call the violation and signal to the score keeper, and then reset.
All I do is Nguyen
AOFA

GLF
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

I'm ready to roll out the lineup of death against the Rangers:

1. Chas CF
2. Julks LF
3. Yordan DH
4. Dubon 2B
5. Tucker RF
6. Bregman 3B
7. Pena SS
8. Abreu 1B
9. Maldy Yainer C

texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

Yes, I hope MLB isn't treating this pitch clock thing as the Holy Grail to "saving the game".
Completely agree. If someone didn't like baseball before, I don't think they'll magically start to like it and spend tons of money on tickets to go to games just because they're 30 minutes shorter. It's still baseball.

Let's start with regional blackouts and removing them. Maybe if casual fans could watch their teams they would be more likely to go to games.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

And they lost Seager for a while now.
Yeah, that looked like a pretty bad hamstring pull. He pulled up really quick on that double.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

Yes, I hope MLB isn't treating this pitch clock thing as the Holy Grail to "saving the game".
Completely agree. If someone didn't like baseball before, I don't think they'll magically start to like it and spend tons of money on tickets to go to games just because they're 30 minutes shorter. It's still baseball.

Let's start with regional blackouts and removing them. Maybe if casual fans could watch their teams they would be more likely to go to games.

I 100% there is a huge problem with all these channels, random streamings, black outs, etc.

But the combination of the WBC & better pace seems to have really helped spur interest in the game. I saw that opening day ratings were way up. I don't know if they have continued or if there has been ticket sales growth, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was.
texasaggie2015
AG
I think the WBC was a huge part of it actually. I do think the pitch clock might increase interest initially, but I see it fading back to where it was over time. But that's just my opinion.

Again, it's still baseball at the end of the day. Either you like it or you don't.
Ag4life80
AG
Sugarland played earlier today, also.

Whitley started 4 IP 1H 0R 2BB 7K

Like it alot. Build him up and get him ready to roll in the 2nd half
Farmer1906
AG
That's a shot!

texasaggie2015
AG
Beat40
But the question is do you think the pitch clock brings in a whole new generation of fans? Jet Passan has said he believes it will and I think he's basically echoing MLB's thoughts.

Don't care what you think of the guy, but until stuff like this is fixed, growth of an entirely new generation isn't going to happen at the rate MLB thinks.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

I'm ready to roll out the lineup of death against the Rangers:

1. Chas CF
2. Julks LF
3. Yordan DH
4. Dubon 2B
5. Tucker RF
6. Bregman 3B
7. Pena SS
8. Abreu 1B
9. Maldy C
Flag for trolling
Farmer1906
AG
A new generation of fans? Nope. But that doesn't mean its not helping.

MLB's race to find the most money for TV deals boxed them into a corner when it comes to growing their brand. I think they're finally coming around and trying to fix it, but its going to take time.

astrosaggie1212
AG
Have the following tickets (4 each game) for the Rangers series in section 105 row 18. Transfer through MLB Ballpark app

Friday 4/14 vs Rangers $60 each
Sunday 4/16 vs Rangers $40 each

Text me at 713 two zero six five zero six eight
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
With all due respect, that isn't who they're trying to draw in. Theyre trying to attract families. People who bring their kids and spend a crap ton on merch and snacks and all that junk and guys whose wives are willing to put up with that and watch a game she might not like because its only about 2.5hrs instead of 3.

Ill be honest it will probably work for us, my wife doesnt want to sit through a slow game that has a potential to be 3 or even 3.5hrs while occupying my daughter who couldnt care less. Even my son who loves baseball and most of his entertainment of video games and youtube involves baseball gets distracted and bored at really long games.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
How many? aisle or middle of row?
All I do is Nguyen
So the cardinals and Rockies O/U was 13.0 today so I took the under thinking there's now way….. we'll final was STL 7 - COL 4 I was stressing at the end lol
No matter what!
astrosaggie1212
AG
Sorry forgot to include that, 4 tickets to each game. Row 18 has 10 seats total, these are in the inside of the row, two more seats closest to the field and then four seats to the inside aisle.
cc10106
Been catching up on the thread today. Finally got to spend some time in Pittsburgh and watched the Astros win at PNC on Monday. Cool ballpark as expected and a fun town despite being mostly shut down for Easter. Plenty Astros fans were in attendance, and only Alex was booed from what I could tell. I was surprised we didn't hit any dingers despite slapping it around the park all night which was a very good sign despite the loss on Tuesday. Only two strikeouts was the biggest stat for me today. I wish they opened the gates earlier than an hour before first pitch, but there are plenty good spots nearby to hang out before the game.

Also spent a day 2 hours west in Cleveland to catch a game at Progressive Field last weekend and root against the Mariners. While it was definitely below PNC for me, it has held up well for being 30 years old. It was too damn cold, but the new rules helped in that regard making it a 2.5 hour game, and I got to cross two stadiums off in one trip. Parking was a **** show for them having a relatively small crowd and it being opening weekend.
All I do is Nguyen
Y'all if he can keep this up we will have a serious debate on our hands. I know Altuve will start, as he should because he is the face of the franchise, but absolutely no one could've predicted this
No matter what!
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

A new generation of fans? Nope. But that doesn't mean its not helping.

MLB's race to find the most money for TV deals boxed them into a corner when it comes to growing their brand. I think they're finally coming around and trying to fix it, but its going to take time.

I ultimately agree with you. I do think it's working, and I don't mind the shorter games as much as I thought I would.
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Y'all if he can keep this up we will have a serious debate on our hands. I know Altuve will start, as he should because he is the face of the franchise, but absolutely no one could've predicted this

We're all happy and surprised about Dubon, but he real.
Dies Irae
I still don't like the shorter games. The games are supposed to take the whole night. It's supposed to be slow, it's high quality sipping whiskey, it's not fireball.
Beau Holder
AG
Rays on their way to 12-0
Wabs
AG
Beau Holder said:

Rays on their way to 12-0

Certainly impressive no matter who you're playing.
mwm
I miss George.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That's a shot!

This is what Seattle envisioned 2 years ago when they called him up
Harry Dunne
I think it was the hitting lessons from old man Gurriel this winter.

Ag_07
AG
About what I expect what Philly fans

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-phillies-dollar-dog-night-food-fight-viral-video-citizens-bank-park/13118868/
Harry Dunne
Rangers down 6-1. Eovaldi got shelled.

BadAggie
AG
Dubon out there looking like a MLB player
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

There is no bigger Altuve fan here than me. I've met him talked shop with him and got his autograph. He is top 3 on my fav Astros of all time behind Ryan and biggio.

If Dubon keeps hitting like this we WILL have a debate on our hands. Not on who should start, that's Altuve job to lose. Rather it would be whether to trade Dubon or not. If we can package him with Meyers we may get a good arm or two.
No matter what!
Johnsy3
AG
redline248 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Julks > Meyers
It's still insane to me that Meyers started the 1st two games with Chas on the bench

It's just flat out disrespectful that the man who started and won a WS in CF, making that heroic catch in game 5, did not start the season opener.
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

There is no bigger Altuve fan here than me. I've met him talked shop with him and got his autograph. He is top 3 on my fav Astros of all time behind Ryan and biggio.

If Dubon keeps hitting like this we WILL have a debate on our hands. Not on who should start, that's Altuve job to lose. Rather it would be whether to trade Dubon or not. If we can package him with Meyers we may get a good arm or two.

I don't agree at all. Firstly, the likelihood Dubon stays anywhere close to what he's doing is probably less than 1%. That's not to say he'll stink like last year, but he's not this kind of player. Secondly, if he stays hot (say 120+ wRC+) then he's the perfect tool to play 3-4 times a week spelling everyone except Abreu & Maldonado. He's cheap, under control, and would be what Marwin & Diaz were for years. What would we do with a good arm or two when we're about to need a 6 man rotation just to keep Brown as a starter. We're stashing guys like Blaco in the bullpen when he could crack most rotations. Oh and a savage like Abreu is our "6th or 7th inning" guy.
First Page Last Page
Page 142 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.