***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,522,356 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Tried posting this last night. Great to see these guys get a more reasonable salary

How does someone playing for the Space Cowboys in Sugar Land survive on $35.5k, much less $17.5k per year? Is there some other source of income for the players at that level? I'm sure several room together, but that has to be very difficult.
spadilly
S
One thing I thought about yesterday….most of our games are going to be over around 9:30 with the new pitch clock rules, so I'm probably going to spend longer getting to and from the game than I'll actually be there at MMP. Rough considering ticket prices/parking/food.

But, on the flip side, I'll get so see watch more of the late west coast games on tv when ours wraps up.
W
AG
a single person making $38,000 should be able to make ends meet.

many important life lessons are learned while living paycheck to paycheck
AgLA06
AG
W said:

a single person making $38,000 should be able to make ends meet.

many important life lessons are learned while living paycheck to paycheck
That's nice. How does this apply to minor leaguers? All of their minimums are below this.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AgLA06 said:

lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Tried posting this last night. Great to see these guys get a more reasonable salary

How does someone playing for the Space Cowboys in Sugar Land survive on $35.5k, much less $17.5k per year? Is there some other source of income for the players at that level? I'm sure several room together, but that has to be very difficult.
It used to be understood you had to have another job. Either part time during the season or full time during the off season. That obviously makes it difficult to continue development when your trading film sessions, bullpen sessions, BP, etc. for hours at Home Depot. Never made any sense to me and definitely caused guys to wash out when they have to make a choice between love of a game they believe they can play or providing for a family.

Not trying to start the normal debate on this. I'm sure the usual guys saying you had to really want it and essentially be an indefinitely unpaid intern to make it to the show somehow makes sense.
We actually have a good family friend in AAA, needless to say he and his new fiance are quite thrilled about this development.

But to address some of the topics posed above.
-They were paid even less before last season
-Players only began being given free housing last season (some had already started doing it before, astros for instance)
-Players live 3-4 per apartment/house
-There is no way theyd be able to work during the season
-You can work some during off season but only a low paying part time job because youre only available Oct-Feb.
-Many teams also expect these guys to play winter leagues etc which takes away the ability to work
-Before this new CBA players were only paid during their season, so while they may be required to stay with a team during spring training and playoffs they are only paid a stipend not a salary even comparable to the season

For the statement comparing to a teacher, most starting teachers are closer to 60k than they are 35k
lurker76
Thanks. I'm old enough to remember when pro football players had two or three jobs outside of football, or owned a bar/restaurant, to supplement their income. I'm sure baseball, football and hockey players did as well. Even during the AFL/NFL days when players were drafted by each league and they would get into bidding wars, they continued to work extra jobs.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Those guys also basically showed to play a game and then left. You cant work an extra job when you have responsibilities that last most of the day and outside stuff to attend on off days.
bigjag19
AG
So the league minimum gets divided by 162 for a per game on the roster fee?
AustinCountyAg
lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

for one thing most AAA players are making way more than 35K a year. most are making double that.
Eso si, Que es
I thought the Astros were creating a competitive advantage with the housing by allowing players to focus more on development. I think they could take it a step further with nutritional programs and enhance strength and conditioning.

Let's face it, we have created a dynasty with younger players, avoiding the paradigm of buying FA all stars and giving out huge contracts. This dynasty has been built with the likes of Springer, Correa, LMJ, Framber, Javier, Yordan, Bregman, Altuve, Tucker, Peña, and too many RP to name. Just a slew of homegrown talent. We seem to have a hell of a pipeline to Latin talent as well.

If we were able to truly support minor leaguers by covering the lower level of the hierarchy of needs, it seems it would help them focus and to truly excel. It is a big investment, but teaching the kids how to properly fuel and train their bodies could pay huge dividends and keep a competitive advantage of developing talent.

Can't argue with how well our farm system has produced, but is there room for more growth and improvement?

Keep major league payroll manageable and continue to invest in:

Identify/acquire talent better than the competition
Develop talent better than the competition
Utilize talent better than the competition
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
ummmm yea, no they arent
AgLA06
AG
lurker76 said:

Thanks. I'm old enough to remember when pro football players had two or three jobs outside of football, or owned a bar/restaurant, to supplement their income. I'm sure baseball, football and hockey players did as well. Even during the AFL/NFL days when players were drafted by each league and they would get into bidding wars, they continued to work extra jobs.
My elementary PE teacher used to tell the story of being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and choosing to be a first year PE teacher instead because it was a lot more money and much better on his health.

He's long retired now, but still going strong. So I guess he made the right choise.
Deluxe
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

I thought the Astros were creating a competitive advantage with the housing by allowing players to focus more on development. I think they could take it a step further with nutritional programs and enhance strength and conditioning.

If we were able to truly support minor leaguers by covering the lower level of the hierarchy of needs, it seems it would help them focus and to truly excel. It is a big investment, but teaching the kids how to properly fuel and train their bodies could pay huge dividends and keep a competitive advantage of developing talent.
Just curious, what makes you think we're lacking in strength/conditioning programs for our prospects? From everything I've read/gathered, we do very well in that department.
Eso si, Que es
AgLA06 said:

lurker76 said:

My elementary PE teacher used to tell the story of being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and choosing to be a first year PE teacher instead because it was a lot more money and much better on his health.

He's long retired now, but still going strong. So I guess he made the right choise.
My father in law played in the late 70's/early 80's and he is a wreck now. Most of his damage is self imposed post NFL, but he has issues and is broken financially, physically, and mentally.

He received a $40k signing bonus which paid for his first house. If he was smart he could have set himself up well for a modest life, but he made poor decisions.
AgLA06
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

for one thing most AAA players are making way more than 35K a year. most are making double that.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-rejects-that-minor-league-players-arent-paid-a-living-wage-weve-made-real-strides-11658337811
Red Five
AG
Are we really going to derail into an argument about AAA player salaries on opening day?
Eso si, Que es
Deluxe said:

Eso si, Que es said:

Just curious, what makes you think we're lacking in strength/conditioning programs for our prospects? From everything I've read/gathered, we do very well in that department.
I guess my point was more towards the nutritional program we have at a large D1 school like A&M. Is it possible for the Astros to do something like that for their farm system. Just bite the financial bullet and fuel those guys properly. It takes a huge financial burden off the athletes to be fed, but you also get to feed them properly
Classof1998
AG
LFG!!!!!!!!! Ready 2 Reign
Right On
AgLA06
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

AgLA06 said:

lurker76 said:

My father in law played in the late 70's/early 80's and he is a wreck now. Most of his damage is self imposed post NFL, but he has issues and is broken financially, physically, and mentally.

He received a $40k signing bonus which paid for his first house. If he was smart he could have set himself up well for a modest life, but he made poor decisions.
Crazy to see how some things have changed and others still the same (MLB minor leagues).

"In 1936, the first NFL draft began to formalize the path from college to the pros. By one count, only 24 of the 81 drafted players signed contracts with the NFL a reflection of the league's inferior status and low pay levels.

The number one pick in that draft, Jay Berwanger, turned down $125-$150 per game and never even received a response to his request for $25,000 over two years. He took a job as a foam rubber salesman instead."

"A Cleveland Plain Dealer story told the story of how almost all Browns players worked second jobs in the early 1960s during the six-month off-season to supplement their income.
Future Hall of Fame defensive end Willie Davis taught students mechanical drawing in 1961. Linebacker Jim Houston, a first-round pick in the 1960 draft, opened an insurance and financial planning company. Guard Chuck Noll (future Hall of Famer for his coaching triumphs with Pittsburgh) was a salesman for Trojan Freight Lines.
Off-season conditioning was not the norm, because players spent it working and pursuing other interests."

https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/nfl-basics/rookies-guide/evolution-of-the-nfl-player/
maca1028
Happy Opening Day folks!
The Porkchop Express
AG
I like us to keep this thread at least 10x as long as the Rangers thread, so while i don't love the minor league salary debate, we're in a good spot.

Farmer1906
AG
Let's get this back on track.

We have an officially official roster.

For whoever asked, the roof will be closed.

You can get in the door for $65 plus fees now

Now lets get HYPE!

Deluxe
AG
Interesting. Bligh and JJ got DFA'd to make room for Salazar and Julks. Altuve to the 10 day.
AustinCountyAg
yall aren't looking at the numbers in a more broad form. You have to consider the players who are also on the 40 man roster, coupled with those who signed major league contracts that are in AAA, but also not on the 40 man. There contracts are structed differently where most are making at least 100K a year. Combine that with the other prospects who signed bigger signing bonuses who can choose to have that money deferred out over time there salary is higher. I'm speaking strictly AAA FWIW.

Either way this is stupid discussion for opening day.
agproducer
AG
I'm surprised JJ got DFA'd.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Interesting. Bligh and JJ got DFA'd to make room for Salazar and Julks. Altuve to the 10 day.
Beerosch
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AgLA06 said:

lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

It used to be understood you had to have another job. Either part time during the season or full time during the off season. That obviously makes it difficult to continue development when your trading film sessions, bullpen sessions, BP, etc. for hours at Home Depot. Never made any sense to me and definitely caused guys to wash out when they have to make a choice between love of a game they believe they can play or providing for a family.

Not trying to start the normal debate on this. I'm sure the usual guys saying you had to really want it and essentially be an indefinitely unpaid intern to make it to the show somehow makes sense.
We actually have a good family friend in AAA, needless to say he and his new fiance are quite thrilled about this development.

But to address some of the topics posed above.
-They were paid even less before last season
-Players only began being given free housing last season (some had already started doing it before, astros for instance)
-Players live 3-4 per apartment/house
-There is no way theyd be able to work during the season
-You can work some during off season but only a low paying part time job because youre only available Oct-Feb.
-Many teams also expect these guys to play winter leagues etc which takes away the ability to work
-Before this new CBA players were only paid during their season, so while they may be required to stay with a team during spring training and playoffs they are only paid a stipend not a salary even comparable to the season

For the statement comparing to a teacher, most starting teachers are closer to 60k than they are 35k
I personally know 2 former players who were drafted and played in the minors. One made it and one didn't make it to the bigs. They both received 6 figure signing bonuses, and this was about 20 years ago. Your post doesn't take this into consideration.
Deluxe
AG
agproducer said:

Me too. Wonder if he'll clear waivers and end up back.
Johnsy3
AG
Both Carlos Correa mentions made me giggle
maroonpivo
AG
Starting line up predictions?
Deluxe
AG
Totally guessing here but wonder if Yainer is expected to get most of the non-Abreu 1B reps. With K Lee and Hensley also capable of playing some 1B, maybe JJ and his 1B-only skillset fell too far down the pecking order.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

agproducer said:

Me too. Wonder if he'll clear waivers and end up back.
He was damn good in AAA last year too. He'll be 28 in Nov. It may be in his best interest to move on. Maybe we'll find a trade partner and add a interesting single-A type guy with upside.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Because a signing bonus isnt a salary....and the post was about salaries
Johnsy3
AG
maroon10 said:

Starting line up predictions?
SS Pena
3B Bregman
LF Alvarez
1B Abreu
RF Tucker
DH Diaz
CF McCormick
2B Dubon
C Maldonado
Beerosch
AG
You brought up living conditions and winter ball amongst other things. So it wasn't strictly about salary.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.