***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,522,347 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
n_touch said:

redline248 said:

Man, I wish I could be in Houston tonight. Excitement levels are at 11.

Good luck, f-ckers!
Your not that far away
I'm fully intent on using my wife's flight benefits working for SWA to fly down from DAL to HOU multiple Sundays this year, catch a game and fly back
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/astros-games-to-continue-att-sportsnet-southwest-17867326.php
Beerosch
AG
Johnsy3 said:

The organization (or maybe just Dusty) love Dubon for his versatility and apparent defensive fortitude...they will want him at 2B behind Framber to field all of the groundballs.
This is a good point. Dusty has his reason. He will definitely use that to justify the Dubon start.
astrosaggie1212
AG
Selling 4 tickets for tonight's opener at face value if anyone is still looking for tickets. Section 105 row 18 $175 each
All I do is Nguyen
Can all of us PLEASE agree to NOT jump off cliff if we're at or below .500 at the end of April? I remember last year we were 11-10 and some people were ready to trade everyone and start over.

Remember: Baseball is a marathon NOT A SPRINT!!! This isn't football where if we lose one game the season is over.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Can all of us PLEASE agree to NOT jump off cliff if we're at or below .500 at the end of April? I remember last year we were 11-10 and some people were ready to trade everyone and start over.

Remember: Baseball is a marathon NOT A SPRINT!!! This isn't football where if we lose one game the season is over.
You think some of the bleeders aren't going to bleed?
LC Wannabe
S
GLF
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Picked up at Kroger this morning. Ready to hammer when I can watch the game, on Delay, after my sons 9u baseball game.

Praying for a quick run rule to get home early
Mr Gigem
AG
Happy Opening Day!

Good luck this season everyone. Hoping all your players stay healthy, and wishing for a competitive season!

If any of y'all decide to venture up to Arlington this year, feel free to reach out so I can help with tickets.

Cheers!
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Outside of maybe 2019, I think this is the most confident I have been in a season.

This is as excited as I've been for opening day since 2019. Coming off our dynasty-confirming second title last year certainly helps, as does shutting up all the haters around the league. But thinking back year-by-year:

2020: Scandal-plagued offsesason and covid shortened year
2021: First year playing in front of fans at opposing ballparks post-scandal
2022: Lockout ruined some of the "build-up" for baseball season

With the amount that we've been drug through the ringer as Astros fans and baseball fans more generally the past few years, we deserve this. We're the effing defending champs. The whole band is basically back. And now we play with house money as we tack-on to the dynasty.

Pumped and ready to add another banner this year!
Max Power
AG
Game Day!

The Porkchop Express
AG
The March thread is a lot more chill than the October thread when 40 people I've never heard of before show up to declare the season over every time the Astros give up a run.
Life is better with a beagle
Farmer1906
AG

Tell 'em Joey

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Tried posting this last night. Great to see these guys get a more reasonable salary
Eso si, Que es
All I do is Nguyen said:

I reserve the right to second guess Dusty at every turn. Specifically, why the f-ck he would use Meyers, Dubon, Julks, Salazar while sitting Hensley and Diaz.

I know, deep down that Dusty is trying to put everyone in the fire and see if they are ready for post season level pressure cookers and there is plenty of playing time to go around; however, I will still give him unholy hell every time one of those guys does something not great.

But I am not one to worry about rotating days off or the natural ebb and flow of our proven starters. I had no qualms about Altuve sucking during the postseason in 22 or Springer in 17.
The Porkchop Express
AG
An Opening Day guide to keep you occupied until we get out there and whip the White Sox (all times Central)

12:05 p.m.
Braves @ Nationals: Max Fried vs. Patrick Corbin
Giants @ Yankees: Carlos Correa leads the new look Giants against the Bombers, who start the season with Aaron Judge already awarded 15 home runs.

1:10 p.m.
Baltimore @ Boston: Kyle Gibson vs. Corey Kluber

1:20 p.m.
Milwaukee @ Chicago Cubs; Corbin Burnes set to strike out Dansby Swanson 5 times.

2:10 p.m.
Detroit @ Tampa: Miguel Cabrera made $77,439 in the time it took you to read this sentence.

3:05 p.m.
Phillies @ Rangers: Phillies find a team from Texas they can beat. How many batters before deGrom pulls a muscle?

3:10 p.m.
Twins @ Royals: Joey Gallo starting at first base today!

Mets @ Marlins: Carlos Correa leads the new look Mets against the Fish. Verlander does NOT get the Opening Day start after winning the Cy Young last year. Tickets available for as low as $8 for this one.

Pirates @ Reds: If this was 1977, it'd be a great matchup.

Toronto @ St. Louis: Battle of the Birds

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I didn't list it on the season prediction thing because it didn't have a real spot to:

BOLD UNEXPECTED PREDICTION:
Jake Myers makes you all eat crow. Comes out mashing, takes over majority CF playing time, hits 20HR, steals 20 bases. And we truly have our CF'er of the future
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I didn't list it on the season prediction thing because it didn't have a real spot to:

BOLD UNEXPECTED PREDICTION:
Jake Myers makes you all eat crow. Comes out mashing, takes over majority CF playing time, hits 20HR, steals 20 bases. And we truly have our CF'er of the future
Calm down, Click.

But I think we were all thinking about it in 2021. Now the opportunities will be fewer with Chas staying consistent. Clearly, the team hasn't shut the door on Jake yet.
07ag
AG
GLF

hope the leaf blowers are ready, but unnecessary for tonight
https://ts.la/eric59704
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

An Opening Day guide to keep you occupied until we get out there and whip the White Sox (all times Central)

12:05 p.m.
Braves @ Nationals: Max Fried vs. Patrick Corbin
Giants @ Yankees: Carlos Correa leads the new look Giants against the Bombers, who start the season with Aaron Judge already awarded 15 home runs.

1:10 p.m.
Baltimore @ Boston: Kyle Gibson vs. Corey Kluber

1:20 p.m.
Milwaukee @ Chicago Cubs; Corbin Burnes set to strike out Dansby Swanson 5 times.

2:10 p.m.
Detroit @ Tampa: Miguel Cabrera made $77,439 in the time it took you to read this sentence.

3:05 p.m.
Phillies @ Rangers: Phillies find a team from Texas they can beat. How many batters before deGrom pulls a muscle?

3:10 p.m.
Twins @ Royals: Joey Gallo starting at first base today!

Mets @ Marlins: Carlos Correa leads the new look Mets against the Fish. Verlander does NOT get the Opening Day start after winning the Cy Young last year. Tickets available for as low as $8 for this one.

Pirates @ Reds: If this was 1977, it'd be a great matchup.

Toronto @ St. Louis: Battle of the Birds
Please refrain from injury jokes for other teams, even if it's for the pissant rangers.
TexAgs1992
Late to the thread here but let's go!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Pulling a muscle? I pull a muscle walking down the stairs every day.
W
AG
White Sox have a new manager named Pedro

tonight will be his managerial debut at any level
AgLA06
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Tried posting this last night. Great to see these guys get a more reasonable salary

Still blows my mind a starting teacher makes more than a Triple A player.

I'm glad minor league salaries are finally starting to be addressed, but it still makes no sense.

Teams cover / provide housing now, correct?
lurker76
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

How does someone playing for the Space Cowboys in Sugar Land survive on $35.5k, much less $17.5k per year? Is there some other source of income for the players at that level? I'm sure several room together, but that has to be very difficult.
Farmer1906
AG
lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

How does someone playing for the Space Cowboys in Sugar Land survive on $38k, much less $17.5k per year? Is there some other source of income for the players at that level? I'm sure several room together, but that has to be very difficult.

Work other jobs in the offseason, live off signing bonus if you were picked high enough, live with a host family, etc.
lurker76
Thanks. It has to be pretty rough though.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. But if they make it to the show, 700K+ is the min salary.
Farmer1906
AG
RO519
AG

Me to every person I see wearing Astros gear this morning downtown!
AgLA06
AG
lurker76 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

How does someone playing for the Space Cowboys in Sugar Land survive on $35.5k, much less $17.5k per year? Is there some other source of income for the players at that level? I'm sure several room together, but that has to be very difficult.
It used to be understood you had to have another job. Either part time during the season or full time during the off season. That obviously makes it difficult to continue development when your trading film sessions, bullpen sessions, BP, etc. for hours at Home Depot. Never made any sense to me and definitely caused guys to wash out when they have to make a choice between love of a game they believe they can play or providing for a family.

Not trying to start the normal debate on this. I'm sure the usual guys saying you had to really want it and essentially be an indefinitely unpaid intern to make it to the show somehow makes sense. Little to no support or development opportunities in the offseason and a wage less than minimum wage whe hours worked is tabulated. Nothing like investing in your business.

"More Than Baseball launched a petition to advocate for a minimum salary of $35,000 a year for Minor League Baseball players, saying the average player makes less than $10,000 a year and less than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour."

"Only 10 percent of Minor League Baseball players will ever make it to the MLB, according to More Than Baseball's recent report. The minor league encompasses 209 teams spread across 19 leagues in 44 states and four provinces.

League players also complain about multiple workplace conditions.

In More Than Baseball's survey, the lack of healthy nutritional food and the lack of offseason support are also major concerns. And while the league passed a recent policy that affords them housing, players say they are stuffed into sharing a bedroom with other players."

https://thehill.com/homenews/3262583-nonprofit-says-minor-league-baseball-players-earning-under-federal-minimum-wage/
BarryProfit
Hope the roof is open!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Hey bros. Glad to be back.

Remember when the Yankees started 52-18 and their fans crowned them champs mid season, then the Astros swept them?
Ag_07
AG
BarryProfit said:

Hope the roof is open!

Think there's like a 30-40% chance of showers so I doubt it
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.