***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,920,001 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by texasaggie2015
MosesHallRAB04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are we going to be able to watch games on att SportsNet? I know they were going belly up but didn't pay close attention.
wangus12
AG
I think the media is starting to get desperate

Quote:

Look, the Astros are a powerhouse; Vegas has made them the betting favorite to win the World Series and become the first repeat champ since the 2000 Yankees. But Justin Verlander is a huge loss, Jose Altuve is out for a couple of months, lack of depth is a concern, there is some age in the lineup and, frankly, it's time a few things just happen to go wrong. -- David Schoenfield
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

I think the media is starting to get desperate

Quote:

Look, the Astros are a powerhouse; Vegas has made them the betting favorite to win the World Series and become the first repeat champ since the 2000 Yankees. But Justin Verlander is a huge loss, Jose Altuve is out for a couple of months, lack of depth is a concern, there is some age in the lineup and, frankly, it's time a few things just happen to go wrong. -- David Schoenfield

Happen to go wrong? We lost our best pure hitter (Uncle Mike) for half of last season including the entire playoffs.

We've lost key guys to injury for entire seasons...like, oh I don't know, JUSTIN ****ING VERLANDER, and we STILL made the World Series you little b*tch.

We lost critical players like Springer, Correa, and Cole to free agency and the train kept on chugging.

Yo David, go **** yourself.
All I do is Nguyen
Wabs
AG
Prosperdick said:

Yo David, go **** yourself.

Love to see this type of anger! GLF!
BCSGrubber
AG
LFG!

jetch17
AG
LFG!
BayAg_14
We back!
gif
DVC2010
AG
Game day!
Bregxit
AG
It's time.
Mathguy64
AG
11 hours to go.

If you experience an erection for more than 4 hours please see a doctor. Yeah its going to be a loooooooonnnnnnng day.
spadilly
S
Yes. Nothing new yet. Latest is the Astros and Rockets are still negotiating to take over the channel. I would bet it ends up happening that way and nothing changes as far as carriers.
They (the teams) still have ten years left on their carriage deals with AT&T, DIRECTV, and Comcast so them taking over seems to be the easiest play here.

(But tonight is on ESPN)
k20dub
AG
FYI check your CFA app today.
spadilly
S
Deluxe
AG
JayHay on the Carrabis podcast picked the following for his AL awards:

ROY: Hunter Brown
CY: Cristian Javier
MVP: Yordan Alvarez
Farmer1906
AG
In case anyone forgot:

https://www.mlb.com/news/key-stats-opening-day-2023

Quote:

Astros: World Series-winning bullpen

The Astros' bullpen was a big part of the team's World Series win last season. Throughout the postseason, Astros relievers had a 0.83 ERA, .126 opponent batting average, .215 opponent on-base percentage, .208 opponent slugging percentage and 0.75 WHIP. There have been 94 teams to record at least 35 innings from their bullpens in a single postseason. The 2022 Astros' aforementioned marks were each the lowest of those teams in those categories.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

JayHay on the Carrabis podcast picked the following for his AL awards:

ROY: Hunter Brown
CY: Cristian Javier
MVP: Yordan Alvarez
He also dropped a great stat on Yordan. His OPS+ (187) was 8th best season in the AL during wild card era.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

In case anyone forgot:

https://www.mlb.com/news/key-stats-opening-day-2023

Quote:

Astros: World Series-winning bullpen

The Astros' bullpen was a big part of the team's World Series win last season. Throughout the postseason, Astros relievers had a 0.83 ERA, .126 opponent batting average, .215 opponent on-base percentage, .208 opponent slugging percentage and 0.75 WHIP. There have been 94 teams to record at least 35 innings from their bullpens in a single postseason. The 2022 Astros' aforementioned marks were each the lowest of those teams in those categories.

What a masterful job restocking the bullpen over the last 1.5 years. I honestly don't know if I've seen anything like it. Halfway through the 2021 season, our pen was pretty meh. Not a weakness per se but not a strength either. Now it's one of the best of all time with room to get even better.

Odds are we won't be THAT good again, but betting against the Stros usually isn't a good bet.
The Porkchop Express

I just realized Scott Servais is Lou Brown bringing Robbie Ray in to face Yordan.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Farmer1906
AG
Oh Fangraghs... when will you learn.

Tell me you have no idea what's coming in Blanco without telling me you have no idea what's coming in Blanco.

Quote:

I'm sure I'll regret ranking the reigning World Champions this low to start the season, but no team has won back-to-back World Series in more than two decades. Houston did upgrade at first base, bringing in Jose Abreu to replace Yuli Gurriel, but the pitching staff lost Justin Verlander, and the rotation feels ill equipped to handle any hiccups if Hunter Brown should stumble, especially considering the ongoing issues with Lance McCullers Jr.'s elbow. And then there's Jose Altuve's fractured thumb, which should keep him sidelined until at least June. The Astros are still projected to be one of the best teams in the American League, but they're looking more vulnerable than they have in years.
Outside of maybe 2019, I think this is the most confident I have been in a season.
mwm
And, on Thursday, March 30, 2023, God said, "Let there be Astros' baseball". Play ball!
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
We have finally made it to the day! Drinks will start flowing at 1:05pm which is about right when I walk in the door from a 12pm workout
redline248
AG
Man, I wish I could be in Houston tonight. Excitement levels are at 11.

Good luck, f-ckers!
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Time for a breggy birthday bomb
n_touch
redline248 said:

Man, I wish I could be in Houston tonight. Excitement levels are at 11.

Good luck, f-ckers!
Your not that far away
Beerosch
AG
Who are we going to see at 2B tonight?
redline248
AG
Probably Dubon, but he better not hit higher than 8th.
Wabs
AG
Beerosch said:

Probably Dubon, although I'd much rather see Hensley. I suppose Yordan will be in LF. So who will be DH?

Or does Dusty go with Meyers in LF and Yordan DH?
Beerosch
AG
I've been tuned out for most of Spring Training so I'm sure this has been discussed in depth on here, but why? Hensley seems like he has a bigger upside. In spring training Dubon and Hensley's stats are pretty similar, but that's just spring training. If Dubon is going to be the guy, then it seems like they would've been better off finding a FA. Unless they see something in Dubon. However, last season he's a guy that always made me cringe whenever he got the nod.
redline248
AG
From our friends in the metroplex
Quote:

DallasAg 94
7:20a

"HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!"

Too Soon?

Hope to be saying that plenty, this season... maybe 105+ times?!
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Actually a pretty good call at 2:04 at the plate by Drebin (kinda reminded me of the Breggy throw home against the Yanks in '17).

Despite his theatrics and complete lack of experience I put him in the top 5% of MLB umps and top 1% of SEC umpires.
redline248
AG
I could see it going either way. Dubon is probably the better defender, and you want that up the middle with a guy like Framber on the mound and no shift. Hensley will probably get some time, too.

I think the GM, or Dusty or someone, mentioned the Astros could still look outside the org for a utility guy.
Johnsy3
AG
The organization (or maybe just Dusty) love Dubon for his versatility and apparent defensive fortitude...they will want him at 2B behind Framber to field all of the groundballs.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Beerosch said:

Probably Dubon, although I'd much rather see Hensley. I suppose Yordan will be in LF. So who will be DH?

Or does Dusty go with Meyers in LF and Yordan DH?
I have been saying Diaz at DH. Maybe I can speak it into existence.
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.