***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,529,359 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:

Just tells you how cheap fast food is that all they need you to buy is a drink and some fries and they still won't lose out
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I truly believe you'll see Lee take Maldy's place next season when his contract is up. Diaz is looked at more of an offensive multi position weapon, but they don't want Lee wasting time sitting majority of innings in Houston when he can play daily in Sugar Land
No reason to burn a year of Lee's service time if he's not going to play a significant role this year. If Lee takes over in 2024, he'll be 25 and we'll own his years 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, & 30. The prime.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bingo.

plus just the need to be catching and working a staff
Farmer1906
AG
And to add on, he hasn't exactly dominated the minors.

2022 MLB - .432 OPS (only 26 PA)
2022 AAA - .790 OPS (.924 in his final 40 games when he was sent down)
2021 AFL - .691
2021 A/AA/AAA - .778 (boosted by his .855 A+ stint)

Decent, not great. If he continues to mash like he did to finish 2022, then maybe he'll force his way up. That would be a good problem to have.
scrimp
AG
To add on to this, the MLB rules on options/assignments are somewhat complex, but they do a decent explaining it here:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

Overall, I think the idea is to strike a balance between giving the club roster flexibility and player development options, while giving the players a chance to move on to a different club if there is no room for them at the MLB level.
Proudag06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I know this has been explained a hundred times, but I figured now would be a good time to ask with the season about to start. I'm not a tech guy at all so can someone explain a VPN to me? And what I need to do to set it up?

Thanks in advance!
https://www.top10vpn.com/guides/mlb-tv-vpn/

I have surfshark vpn on firestick and iphone so will be testing it soon. Good news is you have 7 day free trial on mlb.tv if you haven't already signed up so if for some reason it isn't working you can cancel.
Farmer1906
AG
Don't forget the opening series is Jose Abreu's revenge series. I really want him to take Cease yard.

Edit: I take it back. I need Cease to duel Framber. I have both on the ole fantasy team.
MarathonAg12
Per Julia Morales,

On Friday, the Astros will receive their World Series rings. Lyle Lovett will sing the National Anthem and Jason Castro will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Paul Wall will have the Play Ball call.

All fans in attendance will get a replica World Series Trophy.

That is awesome!
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Best team in baseball last year. Best team the last 6 years. And they are buried in the ad for MLB.

Use the hate.
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

Don't forget the opening series is Jose Abreu's revenge series. I really want him to take Cease yard.

Edit: I take it back. I need Cease to duel Framber. I have both on the ole fantasy team.
I have always said, IDGAF about my fantasy team if it means my actual team wins.

Unless you're in a big money league then....maybe
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

I have always said, IDGAF about my fantasy team if it means my actual team wins.

Unless you're in a big money league then....maybe
Trust me, I don't care that much.

If we win 3-0 and only score on their BP and I get a ton of points from both starters, great. If we win 11-10, great. Astros > Fantasy. However, Fantasy > Texans.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Best team in baseball last year. Best team the last 6 years. And they are buried in the ad for MLB.

Use the hate.
What's worse is the three players most prominently displayed (largest photos used):

Ohtani - I get it, but still the Angels suck
Judge - I get it again but we make his team our **tch every year

The biggest head scratcher, deGrom. Why is a Ranger the most visible and why no Verlander? Is it because they didn't have a good shot of him in a Mets uniform and certainly didn't want to show another Astro uniform.

They can all **** themselves and we will make them all our ***ches again this year.
GoodBullShark
AG
Lineup Projection:

1. Jeremy Pena - SS
2. Kyle Tucker - RF
3. Alex Bregman - 3B
4. Yordan Alvarez - LF
5. Jose Abreu - 1B
6. David Hensley - 2B
7. Yanier Diaz - DH
8. Chaz - CF
9. Maldy - C
iamtheglove
GoodBullShark said:

Lineup Projection:

1. Jeremy Pena - 2B
2. Kyle Tucker - RF
3. Alex Bregman - 3B
4. Yordan Alvarez - LF
5. Jose Abreu - 1B
6. David Hensley - 2B
7. Yanier Diaz - DH
8. Chaz - CF
9. Maldy - C

Gotta give you credit, having 2 second basemen is a sure way to defeat the new shift rules,
AggieNiebs
AG
1. Jeremy Pena - SS
2. Tucker - RF
3. Bregman - 3B
4. Yordan - LF
5. Abreu - 1B
6. Hensley - DH
7. Chaz - CF
8. Dubon - 2B
9. Maldy - C
Ag_07
AG
Is it Thursday yet?
All I do is Nguyen
Ag_07 said:

Is it Thursday yet?
Big Al 1992
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The Astros have really led the way on identifying pitcher potential and how to make a tweak and churn out studs, Strom got a lot of credit for this. I have to think we are also on the leading edge of having a strong game manager behind the dish. I am starting to think we don't see Lee as being able to do that. I am sure there are some advanced stats our org has developed showing how much a game manager offsets offensive output. If Maldy loses 20 RBI per year vs avg catcher output but saves 40 RBI per year as game manager, I gotta think the Astros know how measure and quantify that second number.

You also can't overlook the fact that a lot of our staff and pitching prospects are English as a second language, and our catchers are now Maldonado, Salazar, and Diaz.

If you're hitting .300 I guess it doesn't matter what language you can or can't speak, but sounds like Lee needs to brush up on his Spanish to make himself more valuable.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think we're going to see Hensley at DH all that much with Altuve out. That would mean no other INF on the bench that could play up the middle. Diaz can play 1st and Julks can play 3rd, but none of that is ideal. Plus we want to get Diaz ABs.

My stab at what they'll do.
1. Pena - SS
2. Alvarez - LF
3. Bregman - 2B
4. Abreu - 1B
5. Tucker - RF
6. Diaz - DH
7. McCormick - CF
8. Dubon - 2B
9. Maldonado - C
Farmer1906
AG
Not surprising but I didn't see this posted yet.

Deluxe
AG
Agreed. That's what I would do for Framber too.

Part of me thinks we'll end up starting Jake in CF and re-shuffle Chas to LF and Yordan to DH on opening day. I like your lineup better though because it lengthens the order a little sans two of our best hitters.

If we do end up effectively starting Diaz over Jake on opening day, I think that's a good sign for how high we are on Diaz.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
1. Pena - SS
2. Bregman - 3B
3. Yordan - LF
4. Abreu - 1B
5. Tucker - RF
6. Diaz - DH
7. Chaz - CF
8. Dubon - 2B
9. Machete - C

EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch
Who all bought the new Show? Is it worth it? The last one I have is 2020 for the PS4
bearkatag15
AG
I'm in Toronto this week and made my way down by the Rogers Centre this afternoon. Pretty unimpressive exterior.

spadilly
S
The outside doesn't look great, but we absolutely loved it when we went for a game last season.

bearkatag15
AG
I'll be back in late June and will be attending a game then. I'm catching the Maple Leafs tonight.
MarathonAg12
Let's see that wardrobe for tomorrow boys.

I'm wearing this and only this!
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Agreed. That's what I would do for Framber too.

Part of me thinks we'll end up starting Jake in CF and re-shuffle Chas to LF and Yordan to DH on opening day. I like your lineup better though because it lengthens the order a little sans two of our best hitters.

If we do end up effectively starting Diaz over Jake on opening day, I think that's a good sign for how high we are on Diaz.

"My lineup" is based mostly on what Dusty has done the last 2 days.

I think we'll see our lesser defensive OF with Framber. That means Diaz or Hensley in LF if Yordan can't go. Day 2, I think we get the Jake-CF, Chas-LF combo with Hensley at 2B and the big bopper DHing.
Deluxe
AG
I think that's a good way to slice and dice it
agproducer
AG
n_touch said:

Who all bought the new Show? Is it worth it? The last one I have is 2020 for the PS4
If you haven't played since 2020, I'd say it's absolutely worth it. I've really dug deep into Ranked Seasons. There is a ton to do, and a lot of cards you can get right off the bat for Diamond Dynasty.

Hitting is harder than it has been in the past. SDS supposedly tweaked the hitting because in 22, people were getting a ton of fluke hits. There have been a ton of complaints online with players frustrated they can't get the easy hits anymore. Personally, I like it, and I haven't had a major problem. For fielding, the throw meter is dynamic. It adds to the difficulty and competitiveness... as well as a lot of errors. I haven't dug that deep into it because it frustrated me in the Beta. They've also overhauled the commentary. Last year, they ditched Matty V for Boog Schambi and Chris Singleton. I got used to them in 22, and they've added commentary this year.

The Negro League storylines that they added are fantastic! That alone to me with the clips giving you the history is worth the price of admission. I earned a Satchel Paige card for finishing his storyline, and he has a great pitch mix.

Also, they've added new stars -- Sosa, McGwire, Jeter. SDS also introduced a new thing called "Captains" where when you put that player in your lineup, he will help boost the attributes of your other players.

It really depends on how you like to play. They didn't really change RTTS or Franchise -- so if that's your thing, you may not see much. Diamond Dynasty seems fresh.

I like it so far, and I'll keep playing. Some others on here (from The Show league we had a few years ago) are playing the new game, so they may want to weigh in.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Do they have the country teams available to play in exhibition games? Like the decade teams? Or negro league teams?
Teddy Perkins
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I know this has been explained a hundred times, but I figured now would be a good time to ask with the season about to start. I'm not a tech guy at all so can someone explain a VPN to me? And what I need to do to set it up?

Thanks in advance!
So I get MLB TV free through T-Mobile. I occasionally tried to use a VPN to get around the blackouts last year. On a Fire TV stick you can download the ProtonVPN app, sign up, and use their free VPNs but MLB was really good at still blocking you out even through VPN. I would try 10-15 VPN servers before finally finding one that wasn't blocked. It is a pain and not feasible for the entire season. Worked great without the VPN when I was out of market on business trips though. Other VPN services may be better but offering the above as a data point for your consideration. This year I cut DirecTV and am going with Fubo.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Just ONE day until Opening Day brings us to #1 on our countdown. Nobody wore #1 until mighty Bert Pena donned it in 1981 and wore it on and off until 1987. He was a September call up pretty much every year and never played more than 24 games in a season. Sadly, he died of cancer about 2 months ago.

One of my favorite all-time Astros wore #1 from 1988-1993, the Mighty Mite, Casey Candaele. He came over in 1988 in a trade with Montreal for Mark Bailey. His mom and his sister were both part of the league that inspired the movie "A League of their Own". Just 5 feet 9 inches, Candaele took over at 2B for the Astros in 1991 when they realized that Mark McLemore was secretly terrible. He had hit .286 in a part-time role in 1990 and hit .262 in 1991, playing 151 games with 31 extra-base hits 44 runs scored and 40 RBI.

Two great videos from Candaele. The first he explains how a young reporter thought he was Jeff Bagwell so he gave all these crazy answers.

And second, him going in sideways at home to take out a catcher; not sure who it is from the back, but fantastic none the less!

That's not how you do it, Willy

Willy Taveras wore #1 from 2004-2006, leading the league in infield hits, bunt hits, and singles as a rookie, leading all rookies in runs, hits, and stolen bases while hitting .291. That was a great season after the Astros lost Carlos Beltran to free agency. In 2006, he had a 30-game ****ting streak. He was traded to COlorado, where he led the league in steals in 2008 with 68. Oddly, his last year in the majors was 2010 at age 28, and he signed nothing but minor league deals after that and left the majors before he got to 30.

That leads to our longest term #1, Carlos Correa, the #1 pick of the 2012 draft, a 2015 Rookie of the Year, 2021 Platinum Glove winner, 2-time all-star, 2017 World Champion, and a guy who was pretty polarizing throughout his time, often injured for odd reasons, but when he was on, an immensely clutch hitter and the best arm at shortstop most of us will ever see.

His 2020 post-season echoes in eternity even if we fell short of the WOrld Series. He hit .500 vs. the Twins with a 1.625 OPS and .500 against the A's with a 1.754 OPS. In that 4-game series he had 3 HR, 11 RBI, and was 7 for 14. He hit 2 more home runs in the 7-game loss to Tampa, and was at it again in the 2021 ALDS, hitting .385 with 4 RBi in 4 games. He played in 79 post-season games with the Astros, hitting 18 HR, driving in 59 runs, and compiling a .505 slugging percentage.

He hit at least 20 home runs in five different seasons, including a career-best 26 in 2021 along with 92 RBI and 104 runs scored.

In 2015, he became the youngest shortstop to hit a home run in the playoffs. In 2017, he hit a walkoff double against the Yankees in Game 2 of the ALCS, greatly aided by Gary Sanchez having two socket wrenches for hands.

In 2019, he owned the Yankees again with a walkoff home run in Game 2 of the ALCS.

He became one of only 3 MLB shortstops to get to 100 career home runs before his 25th birthday, joining fellow nobodies Alex Rodriguez and Cal Ripken Jr. His frequent injuries - he missed 53 games in 2017, 52 in 2018, and 87 in 2019, led a lot of fans to wonder if the Astros should even bother offering him a contract extension after his deal ran out in 2021.

Most of us changed our tune during the 2020 playoffs when Correa dragged the Astros back from a 3-0 deficit to force Game 7, highlighted by this Game 5 monster walkoff. Only CC, David Ortiz, and Bernie Williams have multiple walkoff homers in the playoffs.

Of course, he left anyway, signing with America's # franchise, the Minnesota Twins, and getting to take the post-season off to pursue his other interest, interviewing his replacement as he won 50 million awards and a World Series.

Uh, remember that time, you were in the World series? That was awesome.

That's right Carlos, I have this many World Series rings now.

Life is better with a beagle
cc10106
World Series game-used memorabilia auction if you have some disposable income laying around:

https://astros.auctions.mlb.com/
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.