***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,528,575 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After the gut punches of Aggie basketball (tourney only), baseball (season so far and losing to the sips), and football (still trying to forget) I NEED ASTROS BASEBALL NOW!!!!!
An L of an Ag
AG
Prosperdick said:

After the gut punches of Aggie basketball (tourney only), baseball (season so far and losing to the sips), and football (still trying to forget) I NEED ASTROS BASEBALL NOW!!!!!

So much this!
bigjag19
AG
Why are you even associating all that negativity???
bigjag19
AG
Apparently is friends with Bregs.

I get good vibes off him.
Farmer1906
AG

Prosperdick
AG
bigjag19 said:

Why are you even associating all that negativity???
Just expressing how damn happy I am to have Astros baseball...my apologies I used the Aggies as a comparison but I'm fairly sure it doesn't cross pollinate, unless you're a Ranger fan and I guess there could be a correlation.
All I do is Nguyen
Y'all this can't be real….like this is an actual thing? LMAO poor angels
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What's different? Honest question I can't tell, wasn't it always lineups on the side, video in middle and box score on the bottom?
spadilly
S
Gotta give Trout a trophy somehow, right????
Ag_07
AG
Speaking of Mike Trout I hadn't seen this discussed.

Mike Trout, Tiger Woods team up to build golf course in New Jersey

Between shutting it down in July and the Angels not making the playoffs he'll certainly have plenty of time to enjoy it.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My cousin is pumped. I told this story before but he retired two years ago and has always loved baseball. Although he grew up in Detroit and has always loved the Tigers he moved to Houston about 20 years ago and has fully become a huge Astros fan. It certainly didn't hurt when we acquired Justin.

He decided to become an usher last year on a lark and what a season to pick as your "rookie" year. He has a nice area too, lower level right behind home plate shaded towards first base. He said the hardest part is keeping folks who don't belong in their section out but one time a "very attractive" woman carrying a baby asked very nicely if she could go through because she forgot her ticket and he decided to let her. A veteran usher witnessed it and came up to him and he thought he was in trouble until she told him "that's Lance McCuller's wife."

He also said for both of Yordan's 3 run blasts he mentioned to a fan both times "can you believe how loud this place would get if he connected on one?" Obviously the last one was the loudest he's ever heard Minute Maid.

He was most nervous for the ALCS because he knew if they didn't win that one he wouldn't get a ring since they only give them out for WS and LCS titles. He said the veteran lady I mentioned earlier could look like Tom Brady if she wanted with all the bling she's acquired since '17.

I know cool story bro...

texasaggie2015
AG
I know this has been explained a hundred times, but I figured now would be a good time to ask with the season about to start. I'm not a tech guy at all so can someone explain a VPN to me? And what I need to do to set it up?

Thanks in advance!
Farmer1906
AG
It was a cool story, bro. Thanks for sharing.
Texaggie7nine
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

What's different? Honest question I can't tell, wasn't it always lineups on the side, video in middle and box score on the bottom?
Yes but the stats were at the bottom, not drop downs for each player. Pitchers were always visible for both teams no matter who was at bat (now the batting team pitcher does not show). No more permanent score sheet type diamonds to show past game performance. Just overall different look.
I'm sure I'll get used to it and like it.

7nine
Beau Holder
Eso si, Que es
EastCoastAgNc said:

The Astros have really led the way on identifying pitcher potential and how to make a tweak and churn out studs, Strom got a lot of credit for this. I have to think we are also on the leading edge of having a strong game manager behind the dish. I am starting to think we don't see Lee as being able to do that. I am sure there are some advanced stats our org has developed showing how much a game manager offsets offensive output. If Maldy loses 20 RBI per year vs avg catcher output but saves 40 RBI per year as game manager, I gotta think the Astros know how measure and quantify that second number.

You also can't overlook the fact that a lot of our staff and pitching prospects are English as a second language, and our catchers are now Maldonado, Salazar, and Diaz.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It was a cool story, bro. Thanks for sharing.
I also appreciated Lance's wife never dropped the "do you know who I am" card.
Prosperdick
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Yes but the stats were at the bottom, not drop downs for each player. Pitchers were always visible for both teams no matter who was at bat (now the batting team pitcher does not show). No more permanent score sheet type diamonds to show past game performance. Just overall different look.
I'm sure I'll get used to it and like it.

Don't fret, a few Yordan blasts and they'll need to replace it again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Who needs to. She's hot and has a baby. Those two pieces can get women lots of sympathy and out of issues
Farmer1906
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The Astros have really led the way on identifying pitcher potential and how to make a tweak and churn out studs, Strom got a lot of credit for this. I have to think we are also on the leading edge of having a strong game manager behind the dish. I am starting to think we don't see Lee as being able to do that. I am sure there are some advanced stats our org has developed showing how much a game manager offsets offensive output. If Maldy loses 20 RBI per year vs avg catcher output but saves 40 RBI per year as game manager, I gotta think the Astros know how measure and quantify that second number.

You also can't overlook the fact that a lot of our staff and pitching prospects are English as a second language, and our catchers are now Maldonado, Salazar, and Diaz.

I like your last point. Catchers should be bilingual. I wonder if Diaz speaks English. I can't recall ever hearing him talk.
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yordan hidden upper right....fu mlb!
AustinCountyAg
I think that point of bilingual catchers is fair, but going forward not near as important as it would've been years past. With the limit in visits now it's not as big a factor in games.
Farmer1906
AG
Fair but I was thinking more about game plans, building trust, and being able to communicate in heated moments.
GoodBullShark
AG
Predicted Record: 102-60
Team MVP: Kyle Tucker
Team Cy Young: Framber
Rookie of the Year: Yadier Diaz

Surprise Player of the Year: David Hensley

Make 2 or more Positive Predictions:
  • We have our first 40 hr season since 2019. We will have 2 players hit over 40 hrs.
  • We have 3 pitchers win 18 games.

Make 2 or more Negative Predictions:
  • Unc Mike doesn't play 120 games this season. They nurse him through the season.
  • LMC has another set back missing a majority of the season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
RO519
AG
Predicted Record: 102-60
Team MVP: King Tuck
Team Cy Young: Framber Valdez
Rookie of the Year: Justin Dirden

Surprise Player of the Year: Hensley

Make 2 or more Positive Predictions:
-Dirden lights the world on fire in the minors, gets called up due to lack of production from center field in April and early May. He claims a spot in the OF and its off to the races from there.
-The larger bases have zero impact on the number of guys Maldy catches trying to steal. His pop up time improves since he doesn't have a sports hernia anymore. Maldy also starts hitting the ball a little better.
-Hensley locks down second during Altuve's recovery and proves himself as the utility guy.

Make 2 or more Negative Predictions:
-Altuve's broken thumb is a bit on a nagging injury and he doesn't make it back before the ASG.
-Production out of Meyers and McCormick leaves a lot to be desired in April and early May, but Dirden fills that gap.
Phrasing
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Catching up on this thread - can't wait for tomorrow!! LFG!!

As a long time Astros fan and baseball player growing up, I still never took the time to understand the front office lingo. Can someone explain to me what being "optioned" and "reassigned" means? Sounds like both Lee and Dirden are playing AAA with Sugar Land, but one was "optioned" and one was "reassigned".

Also, does this mean we are carrying Maldanado, Diaz and Salazer at C?

TIA
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

When the Astros score runs, you can score runs too!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
40 man guys are optioned. They have a limited number before they have to be released or put in the majors

Non roster (not on 40 man) are reassigned

Edit to add: yes. Diaz can't play other positions and DH if he's the only backup catcher. Salazar will only see the field in event of injury or lineup switches.
Farmer1906
AG
Phrasing said:

bearkatag15 said:

Catching up on this thread - can't wait for tomorrow!! LFG!!

As a long time Astros fan and baseball player growing up, I still never took the time to understand the front office lingo. Can someone explain to me what being "optioned" and "reassigned" means? Sounds like both Lee and Dirden are playing AAA with Sugar Land, but one was "optioned" and one was "reassigned".

Also, does this mean we are carrying Maldanado, Diaz and Salazer at C?

TIA
Lonestar already hit on this, but once you make the 40 man roster you can only be sent down so many times before you can't. Then you can hit waivers, get traded, get released, or added back to the big league club withing a short window (7-10 days?). Guys not yet on the 40 man aren't technically on the roster yet so they get reassigned. I had to freshen up on this the other day.

Yes, we're carrying 3. My guess would be Maldy is going to get the lion's share - 5-6 games a week. Salazar will get the other start per week. Diaz will be used as DH and backup LF & 1B. He'll also play a key role in pinch-hitting for Maldy late in games and possibly finishing out the game behind the dish. I don't think the team sees him as an option to regularly play catcher just yet. He'll probably get a dozen or so starts throughout the year, possibly more if he shows he can handle it.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Last year the Astros scored 3 runs or more at home 61 times. Jack in the Box is not going to be helping with the obesity problem in this city
All I do is Nguyen
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Last year the Astros scored 3 runs or more at home 61 times. Jack in the Box is not going to be helping with the obesity problem in this city
Eso si, Que es
Farmer1906 said:

Fair but I was thinking more about game plans, building trust, and being able to communicate in heated moments.
Absolutely this. Building a rapport outside of game moments is immeasurable. Remember when Maldy and Verlander had a discussion/disagreement on the mound during playoff game. We need someone who can talk a stud back away from the ledge. You can't get that through translation near as well. Sure we have infielders who can translate from Lee to Javier, but it is not the same as a true leader speaking your native tongue.

Maybe the knock on Lee is he isn't a leader. Maybe the knock is he isn't good at preparation and a game manager. Maybe he is all of those things and truly just needs much more day to day experience he can get in minors. But at this point, it seems he is not our guy.

Maldy is like having a bench coach out there which seems to be working great for our pitching staff.

Javier was very inefficient early in season trying to nibble corners, getting balls and throwing too many pitches. Sure they can fix that through pitching coaches off the mound, but having Maldy there to coach in the moment and put him on the right pitches in right situations is very valuable.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I truly believe you'll see Lee take Maldy's place next season when his contract is up. Diaz is looked at more of an offensive multi position weapon, but they don't want Lee wasting time sitting majority of innings in Houston when he can play daily in Sugar Land
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.