***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,136,001 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard ranger fans were chanting we want houston

Is this true?
Bonnettecj1
annie88 said:

It's a battle for the pennant. Schwab is a dork.
Buck Compton
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Like I did for the ALDS here are all of the highlights of our previous ALCS runs, including the bad ones as well.

I hope I get to do one more of these posts

I think the 2021 ALCS is a very important one to watch/remember for our fans. After game 3 it was Armageddon and ends up we won in 6.

This Rangers team is liable to put double digits up as we know. If it happens let's not lose it. And yes, I'm partially reminding myself of this.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Diggity said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Diggity said:

Nolan probably wouldn't do it. He was great as an Angel, only good as an Astro, and legendary as a Ranger. But he's also a rare gentleman who understands loyalty and wouldn't look like he's supporting one over the other.

Pudge played for the Astros about as long as Dwight Gooden did.

That said, I would definitely try to star power the **** out of them for the home games. Like offer Beyonce $1 million to the charity of her choice to come do it. Or JJ Watt since he just got his jersey retired. Or Hakeem. Lay off the Bagwells and Biggios and Mattress Mac's for a while.

And I certainly don't want this to be the case, but if Mary Lou Retton passes during the WS, you definitely get her kids out there to let her get embraced by the city that loved their mom so powerfully in the 80s.

he broke a bunch of longevity records as a Ranger, but not sure how you're qualifying him as "only good' in Houston, when he had a lower ERA (over a longer period) while pitching for the Stros.
Nolan with the Astros:
1980: 11-10
1981 (strike) 11-5, 1.69 ERA - best season by far stat wise, pitched his 5th no-hitter.
1982: 16-12
1983: 14-9
1984: 12-11
1985: 10-12
1986: 12-8
1987: 8-16, with the bizarre leading the league in strikeouts and ERA
1988: 12-11, led the league in strikeouts

Nolan with the Rangers:
1989: 16-10, 301 K (led the league), started the all-star game
1990: 13-9, 232 K (led the league), pitched 6th no-hitter
1991: 12-6, 2.91 ERA, 203 K, pitched 7th no-hitter

Then he broke down. But those 3 years were more impactful than anything that he did with the Astros other than the 1981 year. He put the Rangers in the national spotlight, which I don't think they had ever been in before. He was a must-watch national phenomenon from 1989-1991. That was never true when he pitched for the Astros. He was the first $1 million player in MLB history, and in 9 years with the Astros he averaged 11.7 wins and 10.4 losses per year. Going 12-10 every year is only good. He was nothing like he had been with the Angels, although that was likely from innings burnout.
W-L is a pretty weak argument in general. Much more about the team than the pitcher.

National spotlight was around those longevity records.

I agree he got a ton of buzz as a Ranger (and his longevity was incredible), but that doesn't mean he was a better pitcher at that point in his career.

edit...looks like Moses beat me to it.

I assumed he was just poking fun and trying to rile up others. It's a no-contest. Nolan was still good as a Ranger, but better as an Astro. You can maybe argue he was at his best in 1990, but I would put 87 against it.

HOU - 36.6 WAR, 3.13 ERA, 2.87 FIP, & 206 IP per season
ARL - 21.3 WAR, 3.43 ERA, 2.91 FIP, & 168 IP per season
87 was almost entirely on the crappy bullpen. Nolan pitched awesome, but the GM had him on a ridiculously low pitch count and it frustrated the crap out of him. The Astros gave him no run support at all, and the bullpen failed to pick him up over and over again that season. That season of stellar pitching with a lopsidedly bad W-L is one of the weirdest statistical oddities I have ever seen in baseball.
tjack16
AG
That's basically how last year's WS was as well.

Split 1-1 at home and then destroyed in game 3 on the road to go down 1-2. Win next 3
JDUB08AG
AG
tjack16 said:

Split 1-1 at home and then destroyed in game 3 on the road to go down 1-2. Win next 3

I recently rewatched the Phillies post game shows after games 3 and 4. After game 3, they had basically already crowned themselves the champion. After game 4, they looked like their dogs had just been shot in front of them.
Buck Compton
AG
tjack16 said:

Very true.

Those back-to-back losses to Boston were absolute beat downs though. I'm glad we found whatever tipping was going on.
tjack16
AG
Oh the transition from after game 3 to after game 4 for them was beautiful. From planning the parade to "well we got no hit"
Buck Compton
AG
JDUB08AG said:

tjack16 said:

I recently rewatched the Phillies post game shows after games 3 and 4. After game 3, they had basically already crowned themselves the champion. After game 4, they looked like their dogs had just been shot in front of them.
Have the links handy? I remember watching them at the time
Mr.Bond
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Game 1 Sunday, 7:15 p.m. (FOX)

Game 2 Monday, 3:37 p.m. (FOX/FS1)
Boo. Exact opposite would be perfect.

337 pm on a workday for a LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES WHAT A ****IN JOKE MLB. FIX YOUR ****
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
This was a given since the Cowboys play on MNF

No way in hell they wanna go up against that with 1/2 the ALCS audience being in DFW.

I can live with late afternoon times but the 1 and 2 pm starts are what really suck
JDUB08AG
AG
Buck Compton said:

JDUB08AG said:

tjack16 said:

Have the links handy? I remember watching them at the time

The Porkchop Express
Mr.Bond said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

337 pm on a workday for a LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES WHAT A ****IN JOKE MLB. FIX YOUR ****
You guys would have been on a window ledge of a tall building in 1986, when there was no way to know what was happening outside of TV, radio, being there.

Game 3 Astros-Mets was on a Saturday and started at 11 a.m. Houston time.
Game 5 was on a Tuesday and started at NOON Houston time.
Game 6 was on a Wednesday and started at 2 p.m. Houston time.

Game 5 was in New York City and went 12 innings and lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes, meaning it was over around 5 p.m. Eastern. They made both teams get on a plane, fly to Houston, and play a game at 2 p.m. the next day. That game went 16 innings and lasted 4 hours and 42 minutes. I blacked out and didn't see what happened at the end, I"m assuming the Astros won.
The Porkchop Express
I really appreciate your commitment to avoid a ban by telling me to F*** off without even actually typing the real **** but just using the asterisks to genuinely spell F***. That's some good ****ing posting. I sent you a PM to apologize, I meant it in jest.
Panama Red
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Going on 54 years of broadcasting league championship games on weekday afternoons.

Maybe this is the year they learn their lesson
BMX Bandit
Ag_07 said:

No way in hell they wanna go up against that with 1/2 the ALCS audience being in DFW.

I can live with late afternoon times but the 1 and 2 pm starts are what really suck

It really wouldn't matter who was on Monday night football. It's game two of the ALCS, they are rotating the night game with game one of NLCS
BadAggie
AG
Panama Red said:

Mr.Bond said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Going on 54 years of broadcasting league championship games on weekday afternoons.

Maybe this is the year they learn their lesson

Considering the audience is the elderly, invalids, and shut ins the timing is optimal
BMX Bandit
It will be on all the TVs at Lubys
tjack16
AG

Here's a good one
annie88
AG
Wildmen06
AG
Do y'all really all have jobs that you can't leave early or just watch the game on your phone?
Prosperdick
AG

I really appreciate your commitment to avoid a ban by telling me to F*** off without even actually typing the real **** but just using the asterisks to genuinely spell F***. That's some good ****ing posting. I sent you a PM to apologize, I meant it in jest.
PM sent and like I said in the message I was hungover this morning (I wonder why) and got a bit *****ly. There's a reason my name is Dick besides the fact that my name is Richard. It's all good man.

Speaking of Richard's, I might have been hungover this morning but I bet Zane is having an awful day.
Prosperdick
AG
annie88 said:

I don't know a lot about the baseball gods but I'm pretty sure they were disgusted as well. Couldn't happen to a more deserving franchise of p*ssies.
BadAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

What? With all the new baseball fans in DFW? Why not?
The Porkchop Express
Wildmen06 said:

Do y'all really all have jobs that you can't leave early or just watch the game on your phone?
Worked at home since early 2013 and it's made for many wasted afternoons between baseball and on Star Wars Celebration days when there's a new trailer drop.

A company I used to work for sent out daily reminders that we weren't allowed to use our computers to stream the World Cup back in 2010 or 2012 or whenever it was. The company was based in England so we got the same email in Houston. This guy in his late 50s across from me who was very tech unsavvy opened his email one day and said loudly "WHAT THE HELL IS A STEAMED WORLD CUP?"
BadAggie
AG
Big Cat `93
AG
I listened to game 6 versus the Mets on an assistant coach's radio in between plays during football practice in high school. Like practice didn't suck enough already.
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

Here's a good one
That was a good and they were very complimentary and no whining about calls or anything like that...just said Houston was the better team.
JDUB08AG
AG
Prosperdick said:

tjack16 said:

Here's a good one
That was a good and they were very complimentary and no whining about calls or anything like that...just said Houston was the better team.

They were the same way after game 4 too. I like their post game setup. Those guys live for Philly baseball.
txags92
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

I listened to game 6 versus the Mets on an assistant coach's radio in between plays during football practice in high school. Like practice didn't suck enough already.
My mom let me stay home from school to watch those day games in 86.
The Porkchop Express
Rangers trying to play it cool like they've been to the ALCS lately.

txags92
AG
Prosperdick said:

tjack16 said:

Here's a good one
Only thing they complained about was Maldy leaning into the pitch when they were busting him inside. But as they said, the catcher should notice those things like him standing almost on the plate and not call pitches that give him that opportunity unless they feel like giving up a base on a HBP.
Farmer1906
AG
All-Time Astros fWAR Leaders

Position Players
1. Bagwell - 80.2
2. Biggio - 65.8
3. Altuve - 52.6 (jumped Berkman this year)
4. Berkman - 51.4
5. Cruz - 47.8
6. Cedeno - 46.6
7. Wynn - 38.7
8. Bregman - 35.2 (should get Wynn in 2024)
9. Morgan - 29.3
10. Doran - 27.5
--
18. Alvarez - 18.6 (#1 in WAR/games played)
--
21. Tucker - 16.3 (He has a chance to challenge #13 Springer @ 26.2 with 2 more good seasons)

Pitchers
1. Oswalt - 46.3
2. Ryan - 36.6
3. Richard - 32.4
4. Dieker - 31.6
5. Reynolds - 31.2
6. Scott - 26.2
7. Wilson - 26.1
8. Verlander - 21.5 (passed Niekro this year, shot at top 6 before his deal is up)
9. Niekro - 21.0
10. Rodriguez - 18.7
--
18. McCullers - 14.8
--
23. Valdez - 12.7 (if he matches his last 2 seasons, he'll crack the top 10)

Relief Pitchers
1. Wagner - 13.4
2. Smith - 9.7
3. Lidge - 9.6
4. Dotel - 8.6
5. Pressly - 8.1 (jumped Andersen, assuming he vests next year he could end up #2)
6. Andersen - 7.1
7. Samibto - 6.8
8. Harris - 5.2
9. Giles - 3.9
10. Wheler - 3.5
--
15. Abreu - 3.0 (feels like WAR is sleeping on him, without extending him he'll be 5-10 range)
--
20. Neris - 2.5 (one behind the most valuable relief pitcher in Astros history... Josh Fields)
Ag_07
AG
Just thinking about the BP last night (specifically Pressly but applies to every one of those guys) and it always baffles me at how incredibly skilled these guys are at executing a perfect pitch in such a high leverage situation with the crowd going nuts.

To not only have the balls to pump a fastball by the guy in a 3-2 count but to absolutely paint the corner and leave him standing there staring to send your team to the LCS.

I can't even watch without pacing and sweating my ass off and I'm at home watching on TV. It's insane to me how you could do anything but throw a meatball or a wild pitch in that situation. Takes a special person that's for sure.
superaggie73
AG
Farmer1906 said:

All-Time Astros fWAR Leaders

Position Players
1. Bagwell - 80.2
2. Biggio - 65.8
3. Altuve - 52.6 (jumped Berkman this year)
4. Berkman - 51.4
5. Cruz - 47.8
6. Cedeno - 46.6
7. Wynn - 38.7
8. Bregman - 35.2 (should get Wynn in 2024)
9. Morgan - 29.3
10. Doran - 27.5
--
18. Alvarez - 18.6 (#1 in WAR/games played)
--
21. Tucker - 16.3 (He has a chance to challenge #13 Springer @ 26.2 with 2 more good seasons)

Pitchers
1. Oswalt - 46.3
2. Ryan - 36.6
3. Richard - 32.4
4. Dieker - 31.6
5. Reynolds - 31.2
6. Scott - 26.2
7. Wilson - 26.1
8. Verlander - 21.5 (passed Niekro this year, shot at top 6 before his deal is up)
9. Niekro - 21.0
10. Rodriguez - 18.7
--
18. McCullers - 14.8
--
23. Valdez - 12.7 (if he matches his last 2 seasons, he'll crack the top 10)

Relief Pitchers
1. Wagner - 13.4
2. Smith - 9.7
3. Lidge - 9.6
4. Dotel - 8.6
5. Pressly - 8.1 (jumped Andersen, assuming he vests next year he could end up #2)
6. Andersen - 7.1
7. Samibto - 6.8
8. Harris - 5.2
9. Giles - 3.9
10. Wheler - 3.5
--
15. Abreu - 3.0 (feels like WAR is sleeping on him, without extending him he'll be 5-10 range)
--
20. Neris - 2.5 (one behind the most valuable relief pitcher in Astros history... Josh Fields)

Is that Wandy at number 10 for starters? I would have never thought he'd be that high. Also, how is Dave Smith number 2 for closers. Maybe I only remember the 86 series, but feels like he blew every save he ever attempted. Of course, I was only 7 at the time.
First Page Last Page
Page 2838 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.