***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,091,123 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by texasaggie2015
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Or maybe possibly this front office wants to win and they think Brantley is at a point where he can contribute to that goal so he's going to play.
This actually sounds pretty accurate. Most in the org are sold that Brantley doesn't play this season. Uncle Mike works hard behind the scenes to get back. They realize they need his bat, so they add him back into the mix. Pretty simple given some of the other bottom of the order options.
Farmer1906
AG
Last 14 Days

Who's Hot?
Dubon - 213
Bregman - 197
Diaz - 179
McCormick - 146
Pena - 144
Tucker - 134
Maldonado* - 112

Who's Not?
Meyers - 59
Julks - 55 (only 12 PA)
Singleton - 55
Abreu - 42 (only 13 PA)

Somewhere in the Middle
Alvarez* - 128
Altuve* - 121

*Personal Scale
BadAggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Ag_07 said:

Or maybe possibly this front office wants to win and they think Brantley is at a point where he can contribute to that goal so he's going to play.
This actually sounds pretty accurate. Most in the org are sold that Brantley doesn't play this season. Uncle Mike works hard behind the scenes to get back. They realize they need his bat, so they add him back into the mix. Pretty simple given some of the other bottom of the order options.

Brantley could've packed it in after earlier setbacks this season. He continued to work and got himself to this point. Obviously if all goes well he's activated and shows what he can still do, and sets himself up in a better position for his next contract. Astros get a player they need without overpaying for a rental and Corey Julks returns to Sugar Land. Win. Win.

Wabs
AG
If Brantley comes back and stays healthy, possible lineups with and without Maldy:

Without:
1. Altuve 2B
2. Bregman 3B
3. Tucker RF
4. Yordan LF/DH
5. Chas CF
6. Brantley DH/LF
7. Diaz C
8. Abreu 1B
9. Pena SS

With:
1. Altuve 2B
2. Bregman 3B
3. Tucker RF
4. Yordan LF
5. Chas CF
6. Brantley/Diaz DH
7. Abreu 1B
8. Pena SS
9. Maldonado

ETA: With Maldy in the lineup, possibly substituting Diaz at 1B for Abreu is an option depending on pitching matchup.
txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I haven't looked it up but for some reason I remember Yordan always having a down month in August

That looks like a somewhat accurate statement although a down month for him on average is still an all-star level player

Interesting that his Avg, Slugging, and OPS dips in August, but he has his 2nd highest HR and RBI totals that month also.
LarryElder
Rangers in free fall all they are doing is talk on about the mean Astros , what a bizarre fan base
Mr.Bond
AG
Without:
1. Altuve 2B
2. Bregman 3B
3. Tucker RF
4. Yordan LF/DH
5. Chas CF
6. Brantley DH/LF
7. Diaz C
8. Abreu 1B
9. Pena SS

I just came.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

texasaggie2015
AG
LarryElder said:

Rangers in free fall all they are doing is talk on about the mean Astros , what a bizarre fan base
To be fair, I cringe at how many Astros fans on Twitter are making fun of the Rangers while we're in a battle to make the playoffs ourselves.
halfastros81
AG
Even middling level Brantley would be an upgrade over
Most possible DH'ers but can we get middling level
Brantley after almost 2 yrs of not facing mlb pitching ?

Above assumes Yanier is catching and Alvarez playing lf. I can't recall if Brantley has ever played any 1b?
BadAggie
AG
halfastros81 said:

Above assumes Yanier is catching and Alvarez playing lf.

He has five weeks to contribute and get ramped up for the playoffs. Not expecting him to be everyday starter if able to be activated but on part time/bench role is worth it and can have positive impact.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I couldn't remember if that was the case or not and then realized that I had tracked if he was just DHing or if he was playing OF
halfastros81
AG
Agree. Hope it works out that way but I am a little skeptical. A positive surprise may be the shot in the arm this team needs to make a jump in level of play. If anyone can do it he'd be the one.

I can still recall the pit in my stomach every time Brantley came to the plate with runners on when
He was with CLE. He was the last guy I wanted to
See our pitchers have to face .
Beat40
halfastros81 said:

Above assumes Yanier is catching and Alvarez playing lf. I can't recall if Brantley has ever played any 1b?

To your first question - it's an easy answer. Yes. He hit AAA ball after not seeing a love pitch for almost 2 years. He is a hitter. He will hit.

To your second question - he will not play 1B.
Beat40
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I couldn't remember if that was the case or not and then realized that I had tracked if he was just DHing or if he was playing OF

He also did play LF for sugarland.
halfastros81
AG
My only comment is that AAA pitching isn't MLB pitching . I'm going to try to be an optimist on this tho.
If anyone can do it he's the one.
Beat40
halfastros81 said:

My only comment is that AAA pitching isn't MLB pitching . I'm going to try to be an optimist on this tho.
If anyone can do it he's the one.

But it's still live pitching after 2 years, and he hit out of the gate. He did better than Altuve or Yordan did in their AAA stints.
halfastros81
AG
I presume they'd rather not have him
Diving for line drives or running into walls in the outfield tho.
Farmer1906
AG

30 games left. I think 20 more seals it. 18-19 might do the trick. Anything less and I start to worry.
Beat40
halfastros81 said:

I presume they'd rather not have him
Diving for line drives or running into walls in the outfield tho.

I personally don't think he'll be playing a whole lot of LF, but I do suspect he'll get a game some games. If don't think he'll even play everyday. If the Astros make it to the post season and he's feeling and playing well, that's when things with the lineup will get interesting.

I was more just answering his question if MB played LF for SL in any of his rehab games.
Beat40
Just keep winning series and if Seattle wins the division, fine. Just make the postseason and roll from there.
Eso si, Que es
LarryElder said:

Pot/kettle, do you hear yourself?
Farmer1906
AG
No way the can maintain this offensive run. I would expect their pitching to step back a little too. I would guess this is a case of peaking too early.
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

No way the can maintain this offensive run. I would expect their pitching to step back a little too. I would guess this is a case of peaking too early.
The series sweep against us only provided more fuel to their fire. Royals-Stros-Royals-A's is their current run that the production is coming against. Starting labor day its 3 against the Reds and 4 against the Rays, a little break with three at the Angels, then its 3 against the Dodgers. Things are about to toughen up a bit.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Agreed. Just saying all I really care about is getting into the postseason and if they do win the division while the 'Stros win every series the rest of the way out, then they will have earned it.

That's my mentality as a fan for the next 30 days.
512Ag
AG
I tend to agree, however, sometimes teams forget how to lose. [see 2022 Phillies.] That's what worries me about Seattle. Of course, all we need to do is make the playoffs, which is definitely attainable. I'm just used to winning the division these days.

I don't mind Astros-induced October stress, but this Astros-induced August stress suuuucks!
Farmer1906
AG
Good thing we reminded Philly. We can do the same to Seattle in Sept and again in Oct.
512Ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Good thing we reminded Philly. We can do the same to Seattle in Sept and again in Oct.

Damn straight.
AgLA06
AG
Wabs said:

If Brantley comes back and stays healthy, possible lineups with and without Maldy:

Without:
1. Altuve 2B
2. Bregman 3B
3. Tucker RF
4. Yordan LF/DH
5. Chas CF
6. Brantley DH/LF
7. Diaz C
8. Abreu Singleton 1B
9. Pena SS

I may be wrong, but while it's close I think Singleton still provides a little more than Abreu at first statistically. His ability to draw walks and get on base should give him an edge there. Hopefully Farmer can chime in with the stats.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

"J-Rod is batting an AL-best .406 with an MLB-best 25 RBIs over 21 games in August."
- https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-power-rankings-week-21
JDUB08AG
AG
Seattle is going to come back to life soon. There is no way their current pace is sustainable. If it is, tip of the hat.
YNWA_AG
AG
Schedule gets much harder after this white Sox, royals and A's run
tjack16
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Seattle is going to come back to life soon. There is no way their current pace is sustainable. If it is, tip of the hat.

They face Cincy, Tampa, Dodgers, Texas and Houston in September so hopefully that's a .500 stretch or worse for them those 20 games
BeaumontAg05
AG
100% agree with this. They are blowing their load too soon. Their roster isn't good enough to sustain what they are doing, they just arent. You have a bunch of guys collectively playing over their heads, which is what you want, but during the playoffs. We've seen those runs in the playoffs a lot lately, but never starting 3 months prior and sustaining.
Ag_07
AG
I think yall are underestimating the Mariners a bit.

Yes they've been on a torrid run here lately but since going 12-16 in the first month of the season they're 62-40. That's pretty damn good.

So yes they can't sustain they're current run but they've been good for a long stretch of the season.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

JDUB08AG said:

They face Cincy, Tampa, Dodgers, Texas and Houston in September so hopefully that's a .500 stretch or worse for them those 20 games
To add on, I believe it was either Marvin or Mathguy who ran the numbers, the Astros have the weakest remaining schedule out of the Rangers and Seattle.

I would love nothing more than to go into the Seattle series leading the division.

Feels like a wild end to the season. Astros are going to need the Rangers and Mariners to beat each other up a little bit while they do some winning.
First Page Last Page
Page 1969 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.